test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ranged DPS (Ice) Super Stats

moxiedangermoxiedanger Posts: 189 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Power Discussion
Hey all,

Recently resubscribed and started messing about with new (and old) characters and character ideas. Right now, I'm focusing on a Stormbringer-Ice Ranged DPS toon, foregoing Avalanche (because reasons) and focusing on Ice Blast/Hard Frost tap-spam. I've got the build mostly sorted, but I'm hoping to solicit some opinions regarding Super Stats.

I'll likely be rolling with Concentration and MSA, so Int will figure to be in there somewhere. And Con seems to be a default SSS choice for most of my characters. Given those two, what are some thoughts on the third SS? And/or, what are some thoughts on options for a PSS?

Thank you in advance!
Post edited by moxiedanger on

Comments

• chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    For a ranged DPS character Ego is a must, in fact it should be the Primary, as it boosts all ranged damage
    @Powerblast in game
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    A number of different possibilities:

EGO/Dex/Con (high crit-based dmg and decent defense, but low CD reduction and lower Int for MSA)

DEX/Int/Con (high crit-based dmg, some -resist, and decent CD reduction can make this the highest dps setup, but is quite worse off for defense)

INT/Dex/Con (high -resist, CD reduction, and crit%, but lower defense and crit severity; likely want to avoid this if using a Uranium Core in ur gear)

EGO/Int/Con (like EGO/Dex/Con, but trading some crit-based dmg for better CD reduction and MSA return)

STR/Int/Con (higher knock resist; STR PSS has Juggernaut- when combined w/ TBD/AS in Guardicator you'll get very high passive defense from gear alone, however this setup is worse for crit rate and isn't as high dps as the other setups for Ranged)

CON/Int/Dex (a tankier setup w/ decent knock resist and heals on crit, but quite lower damage vs. the other setups)
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    For a ranged DPS character Ego is a must, in fact it should be the Primary, as it boosts all ranged damage

It's an additive boost so it actually doesn't contribute all that much. What's more important is the Form stat, and while Ego can power Concentration, it's kind of redundant in a build with Int.

Comparing a build with SSS Int and 400 Int for Concentration vs a build with SSS Ego and 400 Ego, their difference in unbuffed DPS is 4%, but the Int build will more than cover the lower DPS with higher Active Offense (AO) uptime, especially when cycling AOs.

With PSS Ego, high Ego pulls ahead in raw DPS due to Follow Through but at the cost of survivability and you still lose out on cooldown reduction.

In other words, Ego's additive bonus shouldn't be a factor when deciding on stats. The Ego tree does offer other benefits worth thinking about though, like a good mix of offense and defense, potential for high crit chance with Sixth Sense, good energy management with Insight and a boost to SSS with Ego Mastery.
    Given those two, what are some thoughts on the third SS? And/or, what are some thoughts on options for a PSS?

As a Hard Frost Stormbringer build you're not exactly crit reliant compared to say, a charged Ice Blast/Avenger Mastery/Ice Form build. Energy consumption also shouldn't be a factor as tapped Ice Blasts are cheap. That means there's no special considerations for your build. Your SS choice is down to personal preference for survivability vs damage vs gear budget.

You can look at my thoughts on PSS setups in my survivable DPS guide. IMO almost every stat has something going for it so it depends on what you want. If you prefer hard data you can look at my Sniper Rifle testing spreadsheet.

How I'd rank the PSS trees in your case:

Raw Damage:
    Int - Legion (Piercing) or Justice with no DUC
    Dex - Legion (Precision) or Justice with DUC or Heroic Gear with or without DUC or simply high Ego Surge uptime and/or AO rotation

Balance:
    Ego with high Int - If you're going for high Ego you lose most of Force of Will's benefit so might as well go Dex. Dex's Expose Weakness will more than cover the loss of additive bonus

Survivability:
    Pre - With Ebon Sigils or Stuns and Repurpose w. Justice Gear
    Str - Generalist setup

Avoid:
    Con - Kind of like Str lite really, less EHP, less DPS, less Knock resist even, but you open up the third SS although you don't really need to in this case.
    End - Nothing that interacts with End in the build
    Rec - Supercharged is too fussy, Second Wind runs into DRs with Int
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    chuckwolf wrote: »

It actually isn't. You don't actually have to have Ego as a super stat at all, you can just get it up to 70 using gear and talents, and then you'll be getting the optimal amount of damage bonus from it already.

Ranged DPS can have whatever Super Stats they want.
  • jamesbonnelljamesbonnell Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I just redid an ice character, picking ego/int/con, with Rec from talents and secondary gear.

Initially, I did the high-int route, with lower ego despite ego being the PSS.

As far as form damage is concerned, either way is fine.

MSA - so high int helped there. Also helps cost discount and cooldown.

HOWEVER - one stat I forgot about was Critical Severity, which Follow Through boosts.

So I reshuffled my mods, to get Ego above Int.

That said - I agree with the posters above, all sorts of stats can work. I converted from a Dex/int/con setup.

I will point out though that if you're an Offensive passive user, that your PSS contributes a lot more to additional damage from super stats in Ranged mode, while in Hybrid mode they all contribute somewhat equally (or so I vaguely recall).

So a high Ego *may* be useful with Primary Ego - but not per se because of Ego's native damage boost.

Agreed that absent Ego Primary, about 70 gives you plenty, just like Strength.

So - pick what you want based on specializations, IMO.

You'll have plenty of damage any which way.

Although one particular favorite of mine with good crit and severity is Exploit Opening. More damage on non-crits.

Also, your energy unlock can influence.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Here's my Ice DPS toon, who is centered around using Ice Blast as the main attack (with Avalanche as the main AoE). Her Ice Blasts hit like a truck, and I don't even have Heroic gear on her yet.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Peppermint Kat

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Disciple
    Level 6: Academics
    Level 9: Coordinated
    Level 12: Negotiator
    Level 15: Shooter
    Level 18: Impresario
    Level 21: Wordly

Powers:
    Level 1: Ice Shards
    Level 1: Ice Blast (Rank 2, Hard Frost)
    Level 6: Ice Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Frost Breath (Frost Bite)
    Level 11: Ice Shield (Frigid Air)
    Level 14: Concentration
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 23: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 26: Evasive Maneuvers (Sleight of Mind)
    Level 29: Avalanche (Rank 2, Serrated Shards)
    Level 32: Ice Sheath
    Level 35: Ice Burst (Rank 2, Freeze, Dirtbag)
    Level 38: Ice Barrier (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Ice Slide (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Snowball Roll (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
    Ego: Mental Endurance (1/3)
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Aggression (2/2)
    Ego: Follow Through (2/3)
    Ego: Exploit Opening (1/2)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited September 2014
    I will point out though that if you're an Offensive passive user, that your PSS contributes a lot more to additional damage from super stats in Ranged mode, while in Hybrid mode they all contribute somewhat equally (or so I vaguely recall)..

It's additive so it's really a non-factor :p With ~100% from the Passive itself, ~130% from the Form and ~60% more from superstats you're into steep DRs.
    edited September 2014
    Bad on me for double-posting, but...

You may want to consider looking at l1ghtstar's Glaceon Star build write-up. He gives some good tips on building a DPS based Ice toon for those who prefer to stay away from Shatter's gimmick.

edited September 2014
    kallethen wrote: »
    Bad on me for double-posting, but...

You may want to consider looking at l1ghtstar's Glaceon Star build write-up. He gives some good tips on building a DPS based Ice toon for those who prefer to stay away from Shatter's gimmick.

Nowadays the new gimmick is Rimefire and Strafing Run :biggrin:

In all seriousness though, I haven't been able to get a Shatter build to outdps an Ice Blast/Hard Frost tap spam build
  • jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    Nowadays the new gimmick is Rimefire and Strafing Run :biggrin:

In all seriousness though, I haven't been able to get a Shatter build to outdps an Ice Blast/Hard Frost tap spam build

Err .. yeah. I saw Kai's Hard Frost/Rimefire toon in action in one of the F&Is. After that, I want to make an ice toon. So ... much ... DPS.
    edited September 2014
    It can be quite nice.

Here's my recent retcon - very survivable even without my customary dual-passives.

OTOH I fire off Holdout Shot and Conviction rather a lot.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Ice Sculptor

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Squall
    Level 6: Field Ops Training
    Level 9: Quick Recovery
    Level 12: Healthy Mind
    Level 15: Ascetic
    Level 18: Negotiator
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves

Powers:
    Level 1: Ice Shards
    Level 1: Ice Blast (Rank 2, Hard Frost)
    Level 6: Ice Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 11: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 14: Rimefire Burst (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Avalanche (Rank 2, Serrated Shards)
    Level 23: Flashfire
    Level 26: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Trail Blazer)
    Level 29: Force Shield (Rank 2, Force Sheathe)
    Level 32: Holdout Shot (Stim Pack)
    Level 35: Masterful Dodge
    Level 38: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Exploit Opening (2/2)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
    Avenger: Relentless Assault (3/3)
    Avenger: Preemptive Strike (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (1/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (1/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (1/3)
    Mastery: Avenger Mastery (1/1)
    edited September 2014
    Well, l1ghtstar's guide is from before Rimefire was introduced...

I've yet to try out Rimfire. I'm sure it's good, it's just not thematic for my Ice toon.

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kallethen wrote: »
    Well, l1ghtstar's guide is from before Rimefire was introduced...

I've yet to try out Rimfire. I'm sure it's good, it's just not thematic for my Ice toon.
    The problem is, tap-spammed Hard Frost is so powerful on its own that even Rimefire isn't needed for high dps. Same w/ SR. Really, Fire/Ice specs have some of the most ridiculously powerful attacks avail.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
    edited September 2014
    That really is true.

I hadn't played my ice char in a while - with ... 27?... level 40s, and another bunch midlevels, well.

But ice form, with a chill applier (Ice form, Ice blast, avalanche...) plus crits = 7k overkill charge shots against minions. Almost one-shotting level 40 villains.

I was paying attention to what happened to mobs I tap-spammed against, and they went down fast. At least as fast as my electric Lightning Arc characters. I prefer the button press to the button mashing, though from a physical comfort at the keyboard standpoint.

As to Rimefire - I pay attention to buff/debuff icons on enemies, and once I see both chill and flames on a higher-health one, hit the button for Rimefire. Sometimes fit in an Ice Blast first, to proc Preemptive Strike also - which by the way works on blast taps. If the ice blast critted, Exploit Opening procs too. I don't really try for these, they just kind of work some of the time.

Anyway, I personally use Rimefire when I expect to get an instant aoe and instant recharge. Doing this against a boss usually finishes off most of what Avalanche and Flashfire and fire Snake didn't.

It's pretty nuts. But I am enjoying it.
  • moxiedangermoxiedanger Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Good stuff here; thank you all for the food for thought!
  • monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    FYI, Ice Sheathe w/Supercooled is an easy way to apply Chill on everyone. Easy one shots on minions, easy Rimefire recycling, especially if you are tanking.