test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher Problem

architect5architect5 Posts: 7 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
Hi there, all.

Last night, I was firing up the non-ARC game launcher (I really don't like ARC), which did the usual update thing. After the update, it simply shut down, and when I tried to use it again, I got an error message telling me I no longer had 'access to that path'. If I replace the game launcher with an older version, it works, but then it updates again and I get the same error.

I have tried to use the game client directly to log in, but after logging in it just sits there and does not connect.

Anybody else having this issue? I searched for similar problems and found several but none of them matched precisely what I'm dealing with here.

Any advice is welcome.
Post edited by architect5 on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Maybe they finally pulled the trigger on requiring Arc (or Steam). Lord knows they've been threatening that for long enough.

If you really don't like Arc, try downloading Steam, then adding the launcher to your library and starting it from there.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • architect5architect5 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thanks, J, am looking at options. I am still curious to see if anybody else out there using the old launcher suddenly had the same problem.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    nope, mines working fine.
    I have the file linked to desktop and just click on that.
    login_zps32c5d6c8.png
    just go into your games menu and send this file to the desktop
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited September 2014
    'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item'.

Doesn't seem to make a difference where the .exe is when I activate it. After it updates, this is what I get every time I try to use it. I am baffled.

I appreciate everyone's help. Am examining some workaround possibilities when I have a moment, but if this keeps up, I may have to resort to ARC or Steam after all.
    edited September 2014
    int the champions file, there's another called Game client, which also lets you log in.
    it gets the screen, you normally get when you log out.

edited September 2014
    Right, tried that, but all it does is sit there and say 'logging in' forever after I punch in my info.

Anyway, off for a while, will update here later. Thanks again for input!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    architect5 wrote: »
    Right, tried that, but all it does is sit there and say 'logging in' forever after I punch in my info.

Anyway, off for a while, will update here later. Thanks again for input!

Did you try right clicking on the CO icon and selecting "Run as Administrator"?

Also, do you have any virus or firewall programs that you might need to re-enable access for the CO launcher to run? Whenever it updates, its digital signature changes, and Firewalls and/or Virus software may re-block the updated file as a result until you put it back on the exception list.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, if it's saying you don't have permissions, that's a Windows issue there. I'd agree with armsman that it most likely has to do with your antiviral software being a tad overprotective.

I run through Steam, so I haven't used the base launcher for a while now.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited September 2014
    After a great deal of wrangling, I did in fact discover that for reasons yet unknown, my antivirus abruptly decided the launcher was evil.

Many thanks all. Am rectifying the situation now.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Maybe Mechanon infected your launcher. Let us know if you start to feel hot.
    edited September 2014
    hmm windows blocks Champions, now we know that it's evil.