test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Electricity vs Fire

merlinmonroemerlinmonroe Posts: 40 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Power Discussion
Does anyone prefer Electricity?

Electricity has longer range for some abilities, but I can't see much more of an advantage.

Electricitie's Energy Unlock doesn't work often, while Fire's EU works all the time.

Fire also has debuffs.
Post edited by merlinmonroe on

Comments

• Options
    novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Me!

But I only played during the AT rotation long back.

Electricity has a good stun, potential arc damage, pretty nice mid-range AOE attacks. Great long range AOE as well, neg charged ions and ofc my fav: Gigabolt :) I prefer it to conflagration ... Just my opinion... And that was for one week on the tempest

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • Options
    ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, is this a question for an AT character, or a FF character?

For the most part, Fire deals more damage than Electricity for AoE attacks (explosions!). Electricity will focus more on single-target, though many of the attacks 'arc' to other enemies. Also, it should be mentioned that Electricity Powers meld well with other frameworks, for a FF build. Electric Form is the ONLY form in the game that enhances all Energy Damage (ie. Electric, Particle and Sonic) and can be used with certain Power Armor and Gadgeteering powers or one of the (very) few Sonic powers in CO.

Meanwhile Fire Form boosts Elemental Damage (ie. Fire, Ice and Toxic) and can be used to meld with either the Ice or Infernal Supernatural sets. Specifically, look into Rimfire Burst which deals a metric crapton of damage, and has an instant cooldown if your target has both Clinging Flames and Chill (try an Ice/Fire build, Ice has some nice DPS abilities as well). In fact, I have a Fire Character that uses some Ice powers, on the side, but also uses Ice Form to stack Chill for Rimfire Burst more easily.

Now, one could argue that Electricity is a tad more survivable than Fire, especially with your Active Offense (or, more accurately, the adv that creates an overshield). Possibly one of the best Active Offenses in the game for that reason, it can really help out in a jam. Meanwhile, the Fire powerset offers next to nothing in terms of defensive strategies. Chances are you'll end up grabbing BCR or Conviction like 70% of the CO populace...
    It makes sense, if you don't think about it.
    edited September 2014
    Well, electricity has lightning arc, one of the most damaging 100 ft abilities in the game (Ice blast w/ adv probably is close though, and combined with rimefire can yield more, but that's two powers, one of which is on CD). The other AoE abilities aren't too shabby, but electricity has considerable synergy with Wind, home to, well, Hurricane.

MSA may work better as an energy unlock because so many abilities (thunderstrike, ball lightning, gigabolt) are on CDs. Your stats need to be moved around, obviously.

You could also take stormbringer as a passive, which drastically mitigates one of the most common dmg types in the game (crushing) and, well, Gravitar.
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jimhsua wrote: »
    Well, electricity has lightning arc, one of the most damaging 100 ft abilities in the game (Ice blast w/ adv probably is close though, and combined with rimefire can yield more, but that's two powers, one of which is on CD).

Ice blast can do considerably higher damage if you use firesnake. And LA needs a support power too for ions, else it would lose the 20% innate damage bonus.
    MSA may work better as an energy unlock because so many abilities (thunderstrike, ball lightning, gigabolt) are on CDs. Your stats need to be moved around, obviously.

Gigabolt does not have cooldown, it has a innate debuff that stop you from charging it, but that doesn't count as a cooldown. The lightning EU works fine, just need to apply ions, so msa is not needed.
    You could also take stormbringer as a passive, which drastically mitigates one of the most common dmg types in the game (crushing) and, well, Gravitar.

And cold damage, so a stray hit from Frosticus is survivable too. But lightning form has some advantage with energy, so if you don't have trouble surviving lightning form could be a better choice.
    Electricity has a good stun

It does not.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure he means HOLD. Electrocute.

Yes, but that is not a good power. There are only very few paralyzes that work well, 50 feet single target paralyze powers that require a full charge are not worth it. The devs seem to recognize this as well since the newly added paralyzes work on click. It is quite odd they keep so many of the older powers so much weaker.

The adv on electrocute is also not worth it as long as it needs a full charge, the time you lose on charging electrocute makes your overall dps lower, and you are forced to stay in 50 feet of your target.
  • Options
    merlinmonroemerlinmonroe Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thanks everyone for your responses. You were all very helpful.

My main problem was that I didn't take Lightning Arc. I didn't know that it was such an awesome single target attack.

I got that ability now and it is great.
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited September 2014

My main problem was that I didn't take Lightning Arc. I didn't know that it was such an awesome single target attack.

Was going to chime in and say that Lightning Arc is pretty much essential in Electricity (and arguably the primary power to build around in the set) but you've got it now.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Yep. What lightning arc can do when built properly. Only two dps powers in this entire grav instance: thunderstrike and LA (I later retconned and took Mental Storm, but that's a 50 ft).

HYHvHVt.png

Ticks of 4000+ or more are not unusual.

Oh, and the Never Strikes Twice advantage is not worth it (because of the state of Electrocute). Take R3.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Oh, and the Never Strikes Twice advantage is not worth it (because of the state of Electrocute). Take R3.
    I hope noone takes that adv. Most holds like roots break early to dmg, and LA's dmg takes time to ramp up. You'd likely break the hold before LA even started getting max ticks. And even then, its just 30% for a very short window vs. 20% all the time.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yea ... back in the days (when I was not around), it used to be ... 100% instead of 30%. That got nerfed pretty darn quickly, but not before the framework synergies guide mentioned it. Hence the mention here.

Now possible changes to that adv that could make sense:
    - Maintainable hold (ala Ego Storm, but high health, single target)
    - 15% of dmg as a 10-15 ft AOE (which also applies on the main target)

Ideas?
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yea ... back in the days (when I was not around), it used to be ... 100% instead of 30%. That got nerfed pretty darn quickly
    It was also a hold type that didn't get blown off by damage (equivalent to a Stun with a base duration of 12 seconds....); electrocute was the go-to hold for PvP for quite some time due to that fact.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    I hope noone takes that adv. Most holds like roots break early to dmg, and LA's dmg takes time to ramp up. You'd likely break the hold before LA even started getting max ticks. And even then, its just 30% for a very short window vs. 20% all the time.

I haven't tested enough to be sure, but if that 30% works the same as other powers, it is not even a 30% base damage, but damage that is additive with the damage bonus from offense, and crit severity, etc.
    For powers that can make use of that all the time (like massacre or dragons wrath), r2 still does better damage for pretty much any optimized build.
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think my control/tankish wizard might use it? It seems to be intended with use of Electrocute with its advantage (which has a very hefty defense debuff) but even in that case I think he's using just Electrocute with its advantage, and R3 Lightning Arc.

The easiest way to compare the two, though, is basically this short list:

Fire = It's got wicked destructive powers, but only within a tight 20 foot sphere: Wherever it manages to land a Fireball, Pyre, Firesnake, and Conflagration. Anything in there is going to die, but the big challenge is getting everyone there. Oh, and keeping everyone there, as well as setting up the defense downs.

Electricity = Once you set up a stack of Negative Ions on an enemy, you're set. Do medium/high damage to enemies in a sphere (the same sphere as Conflag, without the setup) using Lightning Storm, or completely destroy a single-target with your Lightning Arc. Elec's a lot simpler than Fire, but similar in damage output. Meanwhile, it has very little setup (and can be further buffed if you're clever), has a ton of extreme-range moves, and does good at crowd control using its knocks. It's not anywhere near the levels of Fire when it comes to killing enemies in a sphere, but it is way more flexible in general.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))