test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does Champions Online have a future?

13»

Comments

• meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    Silver players are given one zero-cooldown 10-pack heal in their initial package on every new toon. Just like everyone else.

This should be, along with blocking, enough to survive Poe and his drains.

The problem is, that new tutorial no longer teaches importance of blocking.

I can take any silver AT, draw Poe's bodyguards outta his room throwing things at them, then go back and play with Poe till he's dead. Having no nemesis gear will only draw this fight longer.

Except:

1 - I already know about blocking and his drain, and about breaking line of sight.

2 - I know that his bodygaurds can be aggroed without drawing Poe himself.

3 - I know about saving this heal pack for Talos and Poe.

But for any new player this encounter will be damn frustrating and might made them quit.

Talos and Poe are great examples of what should not be put into game without a good tutorial beforehand. For vet players they are a nuisance at best, equipment and powers nonwithstanding.

Now, technically having encounters that almost require teaming early ingame is a good thing in mmo. But early quest chains can be blocked by not having these two beaten. New player can't really skip them in any other way than grinding street sweeps or do an alert. That's not a good thing.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Silver players are given one zero-cooldown 10-pack heal in their initial package on every new toon. Just like everyone else.

okay, I haven't been silver in a while. That's 10-chgarges only though, so yea they can unknowingly screw themselves over by using that up too early.
    Now, technically having encounters that almost require teaming early ingame is a good thing in mmo. But early quest chains can be blocked by not having these two beaten. New player can't really skip them in any other way than grinding street sweeps or do an alert. That's not a good thing.

I agree.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The problem is, that new tutorial no longer teaches importance of blocking.
    To be fair, no version of the tutorial taught you that blocking prevented life drain (and devour essence) from healing, which is the real reason you need to block Poe. You do get told to block in the 'boss' fight in the tutorial, though you don't actually need to.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I usually just avoid poe and go straight to help a citizen missions at lvl 9 then start the desert crisis at level 13.
    I often skip the frist two indoor missions as well...granted I often have a vehicle to make things a lot faster.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    To be fair, no version of the tutorial taught you that blocking prevented life drain (and devour essence) from healing, which is the real reason you need to block Poe. You do get told to block in the 'boss' fight in the tutorial, though you don't actually need to.

You get told to block when fighting Poe as well. But, as the alert system has utterly ruined that progression, new people have yet to learn the value of blocking because they don't reach that as they just jump straight into alerts instead of continuing on with the missions and quests.

This is one of the reasons I will champion any change to the alert system that basically removes it as it stands and implements something better in its place. Something more akin to the skirmishes in Neverwinter comes to mind, but that's me.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    How is it readily possible to avoid Poe under most circumstances?Alerts don't open until 10th,APs/CSs 11th... the amount of mook-grinding to get to 10th without fighting through that first arc would seem quite high to me?

You hit 10th level long before Poe. I've rolled several alts and usually fight him at 11th or 12th level.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm missing something here, because short of double XP weekends even with Heirloom gear I've never cracked more than 11th by the time I finish that 6-10 arc...

Yeah, you are probably not entering Alerts at level 10 also you probably haven't picked up a few easy to get xp awarding perks which will get you to level 8 before even meeting Kodiak, also there's a team xp bonus. Also if you pick up any xp between tutorial and the powerhouse before level six, its totally wasted, because you hit level six automatically in the powerhouse, so get there first, then go see Toy master and Planck and whatever else there was left to do.
    You hit 10th level long before Poe

The majority of players do not, I played it with probably a thousand players, back in 2011 I played it about eight times a day in different teams of five people at a time for most of the summer. They even started paying me Questionite for taking noobs in their over and over, just like I asked them to that summer.

It's very easy to check, you open the social window, you click on "Kevin poe's hideout" from the location list and you turn up all the players playing it. Well you can try, out of over a hundred players leveled six to ten in game at 7pm server time, not a single one is in Kevin Poe's hideout and exactly one person level 9 has Purple Reign in their status.

Oh and Taco, Kevin Poe is a total chump versus teams. Solo maybe he's tough, but they added the Questionite reward and made him tough to encourage teaming. Of course level 40s soloing it for hours and days on end and pushing the questionite market into disgusting places ruined that whole set up.
    edited August 2014
    ..wot? :confused:

I was under the impression that the Crises were hard-locked until 15 still? Did that change?

Desert crisis is level 13. Canada Crisis is level 15.(minimum)
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have never met Poe when I was higher than 10. Usually, I fight him at 9. And I've got a fair number of toons.

Fortunately for me, I also date back to the days when Poe's room was full of henchmen, and if you just tackled Kevin without deleting his entourage first you were quickly introduced to the floor. I learned to aggro one group at a time, from range so my ranged powers had time to hit them, and to sneak around the edge of the space picking them off three at a time until Poe was finally alone.

So for me, it was simplicity itself to figure out that I could throw a barrel at one of the mobs in there, then back down the hall until they came out and fight them before entering his room and getting that unpleasant little speech. Still leaves one in there, but that's not such a big deal.

And most of my ATs were able to take Poe down before being killed by his new lifedrain; sometimes I had to use the healing patch, but not always.

I blame the "streamlined" tutorial.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    Desert crisis is level 13. Canada Crisis is level 15.(minimum)

No. Both crises become available at the same time: after you defeat Hi-Pan. They are level 15 missions, which means that they should show up for level 13+ character's as soon as they've finished the main Westside story arc. Not that I've ever finished it under level 14.

Also, I'm usually level 9 and a bit when I do Purple Reign (the now defunct questionite farm notwithstanding).

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You hit 10th level long before Poe. I've rolled several alts and usually fight him at 11th or 12th level.

New people do not have the vet 15% XP buff or nem / vanguard gear for the other xp buff.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm missing something here, because short of double XP weekends even with Heirloom gear I've never cracked more than 11th by the time I finish that 6-10 arc...

get to powerhouse,
    go to hideout.
    get xp bonus.
    gt heirloom gear if you have it but not necessary.
    get 1 vehicle mod and 1 peice of slotted gear
    do powerhouse.
    speak to defender
    go to toymaster and do perks mission
    speak to drifter
    go to max plank- do both mods missions
    go to kodiak, hand in both missions.
    I do the 1st 2 missions, purple pose, talos takedown, the rescue the scientists and poe, for 10
    if you do the other 2 as well, you should be at 10 before him.
    you can also get a rescue a ciizen mission from the guy in the corner of the buildings with all the purple guys where you go to do "whyd it have to be purple"
    those 2 should bump you over 10 before you hit Poe
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tdits wrote: »
    No. Both crises become available at the same time: after you defeat Hi-Pan.

Has nothing at all to do with Hi-Pan, I haven't finished that questline in Westside on any of my toons in a year or more and I've farmed enough Q in Canada Crisis to buy a free form slot. Canada crisis unlocks at level 15, Southwest Desert crises unlocks at level 13. no matter how you level,

chaelk wrote: »
    you can also get a rescue a ciizen mission from the guy in the corner of the buildings with all the purple guys where you go to do "whyd it have to be purple"

The guys with the citzen are in the corner near the big retaining wall near where you do "Thick as Thieves" not "Why'd it have to be purple", there are level 12 and level 15 guys with citizens to the right of Kodiak if you are facing him. You can get four level eleven missions from citizens starting at level nine and they can be repeated a few times if you want the XP, just save a citizen, change zones, repeat to collect them all.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I have never met Poe when I was higher than 10. Usually, I fight him at 9. And I've got a fair number of toons.

Fortunately for me, I also date back to the days when Poe's room was full of henchmen, and if you just tackled Kevin without deleting his entourage first you were quickly introduced to the floor. I learned to aggro one group at a time, from range so my ranged powers had time to hit them, and to sneak around the edge of the space picking them off three at a time until Poe was finally alone.

So for me, it was simplicity itself to figure out that I could throw a barrel at one of the mobs in there, then back down the hall until they came out and fight them before entering his room and getting that unpleasant little speech. Still leaves one in there, but that's not such a big deal.

And most of my ATs were able to take Poe down before being killed by his new lifedrain; sometimes I had to use the healing patch, but not always.

I blame the "streamlined" tutorial.

^ This. When did the idea of "oh, figuring out a few simple tactics to beat an encounter is too hard, everything should be beatable by simply charging in and rolling your face across the keyboard" become so popular? New players to the game have plenty of content ahead of them to begin yawning and falling asleep, these little bits of thinking time are golden and need to stay.
    edited August 2014
    tdits wrote: »
    No. Both crises become available at the same time: after you defeat Hi-Pan. They are level 15 missions, which means that they should show up for level 13+ character's as soon as they've finished the main Westside story arc. Not that I've ever finished it under level 14.

Also, I'm usually level 9 and a bit when I do Purple Reign (the now defunct questionite farm notwithstanding).

You can skip all those missions and go to the helicopter and do desert crisis at level 13, and Canada at 15.

Also, I recently grabbed a level or two doing resistance at lvl 11, cutting out more of tired ol westside.(though at that point a few alerts would have been faster, but it was fun.)
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • dontaskdontask Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I was just about to post that! Good find. Now we can close this thread and move on. :D
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    Truth be told, I noticed hints about Automaton in your posts.

"silly organics"

And your sig image. :tongue:
  • antovarasantovaras Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014

4-5 hrs of content, a few dailies and a re-hash of CoX's EAT system? The phrase "yeah, and?" Comes to mind...
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • bellatorrexbellatorrex Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So I take it you wanted 5 years worth of content and such with the budget CN probably has to work with, right?
    antovaras wrote: »
    4-5 hrs of content, a few dailies and a re-hash of CoX's EAT system? The phrase "yeah, and?" Comes to mind...

At least it's something new that isn't a re-hashed/re-skinned Alert. It's something new content wise; and it's better then the 'nothing' CO has received for the past year or so.
    ^^^^
    I'll take that over a "We plan to sunset Champions Online on <insert date here>..." announcement any day. If it's something you don't see any positives in, you certainly have a right to such an opinion; but in that case, it's surprising you still have any interest in CO at all then. (IMO)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    a re-hash of CoX's EAT system

You could get new account wide powers for few hours of play time?
    And i though they just copy pasted this from DCUO.
    Well, atleast people get something back what they are missing for a time being, before CoX reactivates and Spiritual Successors of CoX surface.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Were your sequential bills ordered the wrong way in your envelope?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited August 2014
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2014

see my thread "complaints about new content" and find our question
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• zer303606zer303606 Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    no. to op. it should be called costumes online.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's amazing. Everyone's all "this game is inferior to CoX in every way, but I'll keep playing it anyway", and so they give us a direct nod to the CoX community by incorporating a gimmick from that game, and they're all "Oh, goody. they stole content from CoX".

This. Right here. This is why a section of the CoX community makes the rest of them look like whiny entitled children. They're not, I really like a ton of the ex-CoXers. But seriously. There's no pleasing some people.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2014
    There's no pleasing some people.

And those people should be ignored. By everyone. Including the devs. u3u
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    chalupaoffury misses the obvious:

It's amazing. Everyone's all "this game is inferior to CoX in every way, but I'll keep playing it anyway", and so they give us a direct nod to the CoX community by incorporating a gimmick from that game, and they're all "Oh, goody. they stole content from CoX".

Those are unlikely to be the same people.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png