Install Arc
Options

The fight for CO's heart

dddeemmdddeemm Posts: 23
This is it.

The final countdown.
The secret war.
The final crisis.

I've been playing this game since beta (don't let my forum sign up fool you, I had to fuse my old account to a newer PW one) and this game brought me so many joys.

I made friends with this MMO.
I actually felt like I belonged somewhere in it.

I had joy at every turn, every alt, every trial, every interaction. For a while, Champions Online was my favorite game. I wrote a review of it, I showed it to friends. I played as a gold member. I returned as silver. I played it with all my heart.

Until it stagnated.

For all the love and friends I had, I couldn't just justify playing it. It made no sense to me. I had played for so long, the game was like a memory to me even as I logged in.

This September, Cryptic North, you have my heart on your hands.

Will you make me love CO again? Can you provide me with the joy I once felt for this game?

I hope you do. Because I couldn't handle another dud.

Almost all of your past events, they felt lacking. They were over before I could sink my teeth into them. They had no promise, no staying power. It was like coming to visit your sick friend and learning his sickness got worse; You have fun together but you worry for him.

Rekindle my passion for CO.
Make me wish to save the world again.
I beg of you.

I'll see you in September.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    see my thread "complaints about the new content " and see which ones are yours?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    dddeemm wrote: »
    This is it.

The final countdown.
    The secret war.
    The final crisis.

I've been playing this game since beta (don't let my forum sign up fool you, I had to fuse my old account to a newer PW one) and this game brought me so many joys.

I made friends with this MMO.
    I actually felt like I belonged somewhere in it.

I had joy at every turn, every alt, every trial, every interaction. For a while, Champions Online was my favorite game. I wrote a review of it, I showed it to friends. I played as a gold member. I returned as silver. I played it with all my heart.

Until it stagnated.

For all the love and friends I had, I couldn't just justify playing it. It made no sense to me. I had played for so long, the game was like a memory to me even as I logged in.

This September, Cryptic North, you have my heart on your hands.

Will you make me love CO again? Can you provide me with the joy I once felt for this game?

I hope you do. Because I couldn't handle another dud.

Almost all of your past events, they felt lacking. They were over before I could sink my teeth into them. They had no promise, no staying power. It was like coming to visit your sick friend and learning his sickness got worse; You have fun together but you worry for him.

Rekindle my passion for CO.
    Make me wish to save the world again.
    I beg of you.

Is this a new role playing sg or something? Please clarify.
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    nah see, this is a..if the new stuff isn't awesome I quit..sort of thread.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is it.

The final countdown.

Didi dii. Di di dididid dii. Didi dii.

The secret war.

There's allways the sequels.
    Secret War II.
    The final crisis.

There are no visible parallel worlds to destroy. (Multifaria doesn't count(down))
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You a******s with your sarcasm. This is a pretty legitimate and well worded argument. After the disappointments we've suffered since NWO's year delay issued by Perfect World, Champions has suffered as have the players.

This content better damn well be f***ing amazing.
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I HEARBY ANNOUNCE THAT I'M LEAVING...

...For about 10 minutes to get something to eat. :x

Good for you announcing you are leaving the game like that.... Productive stuff. <_<

Oh... Okay.

So I think I worked out what the thread is about, you aren't "feeling it" anymore in CO but you are hoping this new update will renew that FEEL you once had? Well don't expect too much of a miracle of amazing new content as CN isn't exactly a gigantic team or 10 armed game designers. It's a step in the right direction though.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    This content better damn well be f***ing amazing.

Or what? You'll make a pouty boo boo face while playing it? Me too, but there's no need for swearing u3u
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Or what? You'll make a pouty boo boo face while playing it? Me too, but there's no need for swearing u3u

I'll be swearing like a MADMAN!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You know, if you're feeling burned out on CO, now might be a good time to take a break. Play something else for a while. Maybe take up tai chi or something. Relax, let your superhero(es) slide for a bit. When you feel like putting on the tights again, we'll still be here.

And if that happens to be around September 4, we'll even have some new stuff for you to do!

No need to get all dramatic and Lifetime-drama about it all, though.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    You know, if you're feeling burned out on CO, now might be a good time to take a break. Play something else for a while. Maybe take up tai chi or something. Relax, let your superhero(es) slide for a bit. When you feel like putting on the tights again, we'll still be here.

And if that happens to be around September 4, we'll even have some new stuff for you to do!

Jon stop being silly. Haven't you read the threads? We're all being forced to play this game, we can't just stop... that would be craaaaazy `w`
  • Options
    skylygerskylyger Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Jon stop being silly. Haven't you read the threads? We're all being forced to play this game, we can't just stop... that would be craaaaazy `w`

actually in case of some like me its the exact opposite. I might well have kept dabbling in this game over the long content drought had they not lost all I had invested into this game time and money wise and then refused to make it right.

Do stop acting like every hater on the boards hates with no justification. In my book a company that takes your money then says sorry that stuff you bought we kind of sorta of lost and you cant expect any form of recompense is not a good company that cares about its customers.

Until that which was lost is restored, no quarter is given, no mercy shown, no tolerance allowed.

PWE doesnt want me to like them, they clearly want my hate and anger. Clearly PWE has more in common with a Sith Lord then a noble jedi.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    skylyger wrote: »
    actually in case of some like me its the exact opposite. I might well have kept dabbling in this game over the long content drought had they not lost all I had invested into this game time and money wise and then refused to make it right.

Do stop acting like every hater on the boards hates with no justification. In my book a company that takes your money then says sorry that stuff you bought we kind of sorta of lost and you cant expect any form of recompense is not a good company that cares about its customers.

Until that which was lost is restored, no quarter is given, no mercy shown, no tolerance allowed.

PWE doesnt want me to like them, they clearly want my hate and anger. Clearly PWE has more in common with a Sith Lord then a noble jedi.
    Sky, you're the one giving in to your hatred. If you continue down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume you it will! </Yoda>

Really, you ought to move on with your life. You're wasting it sitting around spreading your hate on a forum for a game you have no interest in. You need a better hobby.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The battle is lost.

tumblr_na96u8VYYa1r8z1loo1_1280.png
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

I actually play CO on and off since release, went mostly on the first years, but ever since the great content drought it was mostly off.

This year I logged like, three times, to do some FoxBat con.

I'm kinda confused why you and so many assumed this is "I'm quitting" thread or something of the like, when it was more like "Ok you got my attention cryptic, please make me happy again this september".

If anything, this is more like "I'm returning" to "I'm quitting". But I never really did quit.

I actually check 5 times per week the update section of both this site and massively. CO is something I love.

EDIT 1: I freaking love you Brou
    EDIT 2: What do you mean I shouldn't be dramatic about it? Melodrama is like the number 2 reason I play this game.
  • Options
    oddbirdyoddbirdy Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I understand where you're coming from, but this thread seems useless to me. Get something together by September that's so amazing I won't quit? You realize they'd have to already be working on that "amazing" update, so either your thread is threatening them to do something that's already in the works or it's an impossible deadline that they won't feel compelled to try to reach?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I actually play CO on and off since release, went mostly on the first years, but ever since the great content drought it was mostly off.

This year I logged like, three times, to do some FoxBat con.

I'm kinda confused why you and so many assumed this is "I'm quitting" thread or something of the like, when it was more like "Ok you got my attention cryptic, please make me happy again this september".

If anything, this is more like "I'm returning" to "I'm quitting". But I never really did quit.

I actually check 5 times per week the update section of both this site and massively. CO is something I love.

EDIT 1: I freaking love you Brou
    EDIT 2: What do you mean I shouldn't be dramatic about it? Melodrama is like the number 2 reason I play this game.

The melodrama made your "I'll see you September" come off as implying "and you better impress me or I'll quit". That's basically the influence that your "final countdown" thing had on the tone of your post...like it's a big deal if you stop playing or something.

If you had dropped the poetry and just said "I'm excited for the new content, I hope it's great!" then your message would have been much clearer.

I get the feeling quite a lot of happy loyal CO players don't play every day... because that's just the kind of game it is. Not playing a game for a while isn't a big deal... in fact, it's quite normal; after all, I can't play all the games I own everyday.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Personally, I thought the OP was a writing exercise. It's well written, I'll give it that. I personally don't subscribe to the "It's grown stagnant" mindset, as I think I've made pretty clear around the forum, but I can understand it.

I think we're all kinda on eggshells right now until it hits pts. You're right, this is probably their best chance to wow the community and prove that they're capable of more than an alert rotation/event grind company. I will say that they're hitting a lot of good notes (imo), though. I just hope people are being realistic about this, it's not huge content. It's new and it's promising, but I wouldn't expect it to be earth shattering. What I'm hoping for is just solid fun, and a good story. Another quality piece woven into the quilt that is the CO experience.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    oddbirdyoddbirdy Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Personally, I thought the OP was a writing exercise. It's well written, I'll give it that. I personally don't subscribe to the "It's grown stagnant" mindset, as I think I've made pretty clear around the forum, but I can understand it.

I think we're all kinda on eggshells right now until it hits pts. You're right, this is probably their best chance to wow the community and prove that they're capable of more than an alert rotation/event grind company. I will say that they're hitting a lot of good notes (imo), though. I just hope people are being realistic about this, it's not huge content. It's new and it's promising, but I wouldn't expect it to be earth shattering. What I'm hoping for is just solid fun, and a good story. Another quality piece woven into the quilt that is the CO experience.

The thing I'm most excited about, myself, is the method they're using to introduce the content. Giving us a reason to play an Archetype so we can unlock more freeform powers sounds really good, and unless the character is totally unplayable (and tbh, it doesn't take much to make a character playable here with how easily soloable the content is) it sounds like it'll be great fun.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Bonus points for it, definitely. Another free archetype? Hell yeah, they have my vote. Throw silvers a bone now and then.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Screw you, I'm being unrealistic and imagining all sorts of the most hype things u3u

Then again I'm much better at handling disappointment than most o3o
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonsills gives me screenplay ideas:

"Mother, May I Sleep With Mechanon"

Act I, Scene 1...
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I consider anything remotely similar to an AP or Comic as the only expansions this game will get. I never expected any new zones to be added, except for the botched promise that is Moon Zone and neighborhoods. I never wanted new full blown zones. I just wanted adventure packs that continue the story of Champions Online and reasons to play them over and over again.

This Mechanon bit better be AP or Comic worthy. Something more epic than Resistance. Its Mechanon's reveal for crying out loud. It deserves it. We've deserved it since Comics were abandoned before they were even given a chance to see the benefit.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I consider anything remotely similar to an AP or Comic as the only expansions this game will get. I never expected any new zones to be added, except for the botched promise that is Moon Zone and neighborhoods. I never wanted new full blown zones. I just wanted adventure packs that continue the story of Champions Online and reasons to play them over and over again.

This Mechanon bit better be AP or Comic worthy. Something more epic than Resistance. Its Mechanon's reveal for crying out loud. It deserves it. We've deserved it since Comics were abandoned before they were even given a chance to see the benefit.

This is a nice way of thinking about this update, though the new zone thingie kinda makes me think it can be sightly more. They did mention daily-like quests didn't they?