test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question re VB Apocalypse conclusion

bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
I'd appreciate tapping the memory of anyone who's been through the VB Apocalypse. At the conclusion, is it clear what happened to the four Elemental Gems? Does Robert Caliburn retain possession of them, or do they end up elsewhere?

Related to a possible character concept. Thanks for any assistance. :smile:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The VB main arc has you retrieving them and unlocking Apocalypse Aversion.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Spoilers so don't read;

The elemental gems were destroyed in the Apocalypse by Therakiel. So in a last desperate move with all the heroes dead and Therakiel's power out of control, you are sent back in time using Juryrig's time machine.

When you gather the elemental gems again this time they stay with Caliburn, and he is the new Archmage. As far as the story goes, Caliburn still has the elemental gems and is still the Archmage.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thank you muchly! :biggrin:
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Given the ending, it makes me wonder why we don't run into ourselves at some point. :confused:
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
    edited August 2014
    lestylo wrote: »
    Given the ending, it makes me wonder why we don't run into ourselves at some point. :confused:

Because it's not so much a physical time travel as a quantum leap style time travel... you were beamed back into your own body, as it were, just retaining the knowledge of everything that happened.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Because it's not so much a physical time travel as a quantum leap style time travel... you were beamed back into your own body, as it were, just retaining the knowledge of everything that happened.

"Al, why haven't I leaped?"

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,314 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In the words of Chief O'Brien and Chief O'Brien, "I hate temporal mechanics."
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A bazillion movie parodies in this game, and VBA didn't end with Juryrig and Dr. Silverback recreating the "When will then be now?" scene from Spaceballs. :confused:
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    In the words of Chief O'Brien and Chief O'Brien, "I hate temporal mechanics."

It could be worse, we could be time traveling with Jim Kirk.
    edited August 2014
    It could be worse, we could be time traveling with Jim Kirk.

I think your definition of worse needs to be looked at because time travelling with Jim Kirk would be awesome.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think your definition of worse needs to be looked at because time travelling with Jim Kirk would be awesome.

Just as long as I wasn't the poor schmuck in the red shirt
    edited August 2014
    enixonbb wrote: »
    Just as long as I wasn't the poor schmuck in the red shirt

Hehe I still wonder how that was propagated when the shirts counted of ship deaths tended more towards the gold shirts than the red shirts.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I guess I can buy that. The only thing that bothers me is that we see in other situations physical bodies coming and going through it. People from other time periods to fight against and with.

Oh time travel, will you ever cease to be vexing?
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    Solution: when someone's physical body enters the machine, said body is merged with past body, past body overrides present body, present mind remains rather than past mind.

now get a headache deciphering that.

You mean this, without the double?

Still one of my favorite indie films of all time. And the most confusing.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,314 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    But during the period after time travel, my earlier body was still in Mill City (or, more likely, running around Canada or the Desert). Why would it suddenly appear in VB like that?

I always chalked up my not running into myself as being purposeful on the part of the older me - I didn't want to run the risk of paradox.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    But during the period after time travel, my earlier body was still in Mill City (or, more likely, running around Canada or the Desert). Why would it suddenly appear in VB like that?

I always chalked up my not running into myself as being purposeful on the part of the older me - I didn't want to run the risk of paradox.

People had to have read the story. By the time we got to the Apocalypse Crisis, several weeks had already gone by after, we had been in Vibora fighting a losing battle for a while. In short Vibora Apocalypse is the future, a few weeks ahead, when we get beamed back we get beamed back to Champions Online present game, right when we arrived in Vibora Bay.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    How about: You hopped back into your old body then immediately took a jet to VB to warn Dr. Ka and friends about the apocalypse. (The jet travel was a deleted scene as it was boring.)
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    When you gather the elemental gems again this time they stay with Caliburn, and he is the new Archmage. As far as the story goes, Caliburn still has the elemental gems and is still the Archmage.

Not that the lazy bastard really earned the position, considering that you did all the work. But I've been told that the job has some drawbacks that make up for that.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    To be fair, we don't know what he was doing in the background.

Caliburn, of any of the npcs, seriously strikes me as the sort that's actively out doing all sorts of leg work while you're doing what you do.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine