Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hooray!!!!
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is much..much better than I ever expected!

Score one for CO!
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    New powers locked behind an AT ya gotta level to 40, even as gold/LTS?

Hm.. not sure how I feel about that atm. Seems weird, but to vet players that are likely still gold/LTS, its not like leveling a new toon is a big deal anymore. I guess that means everyone is gonna be playing a new AT for a while :x (also means the PA powerset is gonna look even more bloated, I take).

Good stuff overall, though. Nice to finally get to dealing w/ this Mechanon figure I've been hearing about from vets.

So, bravo, CN! Very cool news.

(and chimerafreak should be quite happy to hear of this)
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Bring on the hype! It's exciting to hear that there is indeed something substantial on the horizon.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It looks like it'll be an interesting update.

"including the celebrated Rocket Punch" I like the way they used celebrated because the people (or person) who always asks for it isn't gonna be pleased to hear it will only be on the new archetype. I wonder if the archetype will end up being more powerful than FF's though, if they over buff the ability's it uses and with the AT's already bugged resistances you may end up seeing them running off laughing with dps numbers. <_< Hopefully not.

OH I didn't read the next part "Players who want all their character slots to contain freeform characters can take heart, as the unlocks earned while on the archetype are permanent even if you reach the level cap and then delete or remake the character." So it sounds like you have to level up the archetype to unlock the powers which you can then use on a FF?

If this is the case then it sounds like some pretty smart game design. The idea in CO is that it is currently a lot about alts, with so much customization you can keep making a new alt and make something totally new. They are building off this idea by rewarding people for leveling an alt on this archetype.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Looks like good to me.. I'm not exactly gung ho to roll a new alt to 40, but if it's also an interesting new gameplay experience along the way, it may be a lot of fun.

"Cap a new alt to 40" to unlock new account wide freeform character powers? Interesting way to approach post level cap advancement.

Most lookig forward to new areas and hoping for Open Zone areas, not just those for combat like in Adv Packs and Comic Series. I wants areas we can mass hang out in, not just on a 5-man team.
    edited August 2014
    iamrune wrote: »
    Looks like good to me.. I'm not exactly gung ho to roll a new alt to 40, but if it's also an interesting new gameplay experience along the way, it may be a lot of fun.

"Cap a new alt to 40" to unlock new account wide freeform character powers? Interesting way to approach post level cap advancement.

Yeah it seems to me like you need to make a new character get to 40 then you can unlock the AT which you then have to level up to 40 where you may unlock the new stuff along the way? I'm confused at it all now. D:
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    /cracks knuckles
    //hears nothing
    ///realizes that hands weren't engineered for knuckle-cracking
    ////puts "Crackable knuckles" on to-do list after "F*** up Mechanon"
    OH I didn't read the next part "Players who want all their character slots to contain freeform characters can take heart, as the unlocks earned while on the archetype are permanent even if you reach the level cap and then delete or remake the character." So it sounds like you have to level up the archetype to unlock the powers which you can then use on a FF?

That's how I read it: Level up any toon to 40 to unlock the Reawakened Automaton AT, then level an RA toon up to 40 to unlock its unique powers in FF account-wide.

I'm really curious to see what this does for lore. AI hero NPCs were awfully thin on the ground: SOCRATES, Belle Steel... um, give me a minute, I'll think of a third... anyway, an influx of RA heroes should make for some interesting writing from the CN guys.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited August 2014
    That's how I read it: Level up any toon to 40 to unlock the Reawakened Automaton AT, then level an RA toon up to 40 to unlock its unique powers in FF account-wide.

I want to know if it's an entirely new character that you have to level first to unlock it or if you could just have a toon at 39 on 99% xp waiting for the update to come out and unlock the AT right away. Or if they'll just give it to people with 40 already. I'm just really confused. <_<
  • kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    New stuffs!? YAY!

tumblr_mbdlmc7OQn1r5kmr7.gif#excited%20anime%20girl%20gif%20497x280

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

I want to know if it's an entirely new character that you have to level first to unlock it or if you could just have a toon at 39 on 99% xp waiting for the update to come out and unlock the AT right away. Or if they'll just give it to people with 40 already. I'm just really confused. <_<

I'm pretty sure anyone who has a lvl. 40 done already, is ready to roll one of the new ATs.. at most, might have to log a lvl 40 in for the system unlock widget to click the AT active, I'd think.

Asking all the vets and returning interested people who already have 40s to level up a new alt all over again twice would be shooting themselves in the foot.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited August 2014

From the article:

"Like the Epic Archetypes of City of Heroes, the Reawakened Automaton is available to players who have already hit the maximum level on a character."
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm sure the details will come in due time. It sounds like a pretty decent-sized chunk of new stuff; perhaps sufficient to get ex-players excited enough to return and check it out. I hope they do a little more aggressive promotion than just a piece in Massively.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If it is supposed to be 4-5 hrs gameplay for first timers, it should be a adventure pack size content.

It seems they are trying a new approach and that is enough for me. :biggrin:

I would gladly level a new char with that motivation in mind.

Thanks in advance to devs
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I saw repeatable mentioned in the article.

I miss Ouroboros so I hope most of it is repeatable.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    It's an official announcement and it is valid. Good.

Ok, technically it's not from developer's blog, but it doesn't matter. The source is official.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/6008073-steel-crusade-preview

AT is a good idea. I will probably level it to 40 and then scrap it to use powers on a FF anyway, but it gives more things to do in game.

Also, Mechanon.

I expect this boss fight being brutal.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So basically an adventure pack and an opportunity to make a new alt to get to 40 for the billionth time. This is the "big" news you guys were hyping?! No wonder the credibility levels have been plummeting. A Fatal Error size update w/ a ripoff of Coh's incarnate system? Yeah this will bring tons of people back.

This is not massive, it should have been included with the regular updates we stopped receiving years ago.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Kaiserin Keep insults and profanity off the forums, please.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, it's not close to the epic proportions some people were claiming, but 4 - 5 hours of play is certainly a step in the right direction when compared to previous "additions."
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Where was this massive hype you're talking about? I only saw murmurs of something in development that hinted at something more than just another short event or simple alert.

And guess what we got coming!!!
    edited August 2014
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    Where was this massive hype you're talking about? I only saw murmurs of something in development that hinted at something more than just another short event or simple alert.

And guess what we got coming!!!

I won't pettily name names, but there were a few people who tried implying that we'd wind up with some kind of Legacy of Romulus-size wonder update with level cap increases and so forth.
    edited August 2014
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    I hope they do a little more aggressive promotion than just a piece in Massively.

I think we can help writing on mmorpg sites like massively, mmorpg.com, etc. There will be its fare share of Cryptic/CO detractors, so we can show our support there.
  • lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    At this point...

Anything, is better than nothing. And we have had NOTHING for a very long time.
    If this becomes a trend, meaning more content, at a faster rate... I'm all for this new content.

If however, we have to wait another 6 months to a year for more of the same...
    This will only be a teaser that will piss off more people than it will make happy, IMHO.

And CO can't really afford to push away, piss off more players at this point.
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So basically an adventure pack and an opportunity to make a new alt to get to 40 for the billionth time. This is the "big" news you guys were hyping?! No wonder the credibility levels have been plummeting. A Fatal Error size update w/ a ripoff of Coh's incarnate system? Yeah this will bring tons of people back.

This is not massive, it should have been included with the regular updates we stopped receiving years ago.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Kaiserin Keep insults and profanity off the forums, please.

Given all the threads where people compared this game to CoH, constantly citing why that game is better than this one, some people are now surprised that they are implementing similar features?

In any case the news sounds interesting. I'll wait for the thing to come out before passing judgment about it.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    On the accusation of raising false claims about content, here's something from a post of mine dated August 7, on what I said about the update.
    Things are in the works. How big they'll be is a mystery, hopefully big enough to bring a small renaissance to the game. .

If anyone has an instance where I publicly said more than this. please present it. Sorry, it's a little silly and pompous, but I do take accusations against my integrity seriously. And this isn't meant to be targeted against Kojiro, who did not explicitly name me. But as the OP of the thread, I wanted to make that clear.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I won't pettily name names, but there were a few people who tried implying that we'd wind up with some kind of Legacy of Romulus-size wonder update with level cap increases and so forth.

Pretty much.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. That said, Fatal Error looked like it would be cool and... yeah.

I will be easily placated if I get to fight level-scaling (or even L40) robot cowboys ad infinitum, though.

Edit: And as for the above, Thundrax was not among them.
    SQUIRREL!
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited August 2014

If you're going to make a claim like that you need to back that up with evidence. I've been following all of the announcements about possible new stuff coming. And never, ever did I hear anyone say anything close to that.

Trail Turtle has been cautious and very careful in in his announcements. And the only player related comments I've seen about updates, were very cautious as well.

On a positive note - this is a big announcement. This is first substantial bit of content we've had in ages. And a new unlockable AT, plus new powers. And a hint that similar content may be coming...

Pretty big and exciting overall.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
    edited August 2014
    lestylo wrote: »
    So people throw a fit when this game doesn't take enough hints from COH and now are upset when they do? Given all the threads where people compared this game to CoH, constantly citing why that game is better than this one, some people are now surprised that they are implementing similar features?

:rolleyes:

In any case the news sounds interesting. I'll wait for the thing to come out before passing judgment about it.

As long Devs try new things, I am all for it. CO can get inspiration from many other games, so it is all good.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    An adventure pack sized, or slightly bigger, content is not something small, considering when the last time we saw anything larger than few missions and a daily.
    There's talking about a new zone, a new persistent zone would be something big indeed.
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If anyone has an instance where I publicly said more than this. please present it. Sorry, it's a little silly and pompous, but I do take accusations against my integrity seriously.

Unless it was in the edited post, I don't see where anyone has called you out specifically.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am content with this information.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There's talking about a new zone, a new persistent zone would be something big indeed.
    If it's actually a persistent zone, yes. There are several quite large maps in adventure packs, but they aren't persistent.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    An adventure pack sized, or slightly bigger, content is not something small, considering when the last time we saw anything larger than few missions and a daily.

And new dailies, which are just as important IMO.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Altaholics unite, we have more ammunition.:biggrin:

Yes we have to advertise it ourselves, since Massively has an exclusive contract.

new areas, inside a body and a spacestation. hmm wonder if they have decompression for all the people using rockets and lead tempest or filtration sytem for epidemic.
    Riverocean- Trailturtle is a male- I think Matt.
    Pwlaughing Trendy is a Morrigan
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• bellatorrexbellatorrex Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This all sounds like good news for me...
    riverocean wrote: »
    If you're going to make a claim like that (with associated hissy fit) - you need to back that up with evidence. I've been following all of the announcements about possible new stuff coming. And never, ever did I hear anyone say anything close to that.

Trail Turtle has been cautious and very careful in in her(?) announcements. And the only player related comments I've seen about updates, were very cautious as well.

On a positive note - this is a big announcement. This is first substantial bit of content we've had in ages. And a new unlockable AT, plus new powers. And a hint that similar content may be coming...

Pretty big and exciting overall.

It was mentioned in game, which is what makes it worse. Certain players who think being internet famous on a tiny gaming forum were hyping it up. Don't believe it? Don't care.

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So about the Epic AT:

If you have a level 40 you gain access to the Epic AT for free. You will need an open character slot to roll this character.

When that Epic AT gets to level 40, all the new powers on it get unlocked for all your freeforms.

Benefits to Cryptic:

Players will have to purchase new characters slots if they don't have any free ones open.

Players will have to be in the game longer, leveling up this new character.

All those players who still don't have a level 40 have to get at least one toon at 40 now. There will no longer be an excuse of not having a max level character to do any new "rampages" that may come up.

About the Content:

The mission chain (4-5 hours first time played) will be replayable.

Supposedly there is a grind involved that in order to get the rewards unique to it you either have to earn Content points by replaying the mission chain over and over again?

Benefits:

A reason to play content with no more random reward chance. Earn those rewards through repeat play.

Overall Downside:

One new content piece to grind to death. No variation in content to grind.

Everyone will be playing the new Epic AT to get it to 40. No alternate Epic ATs for variation of what powers to unlock account wide first through leveling.

But hey! This is something I've been waiting for since Whiteout!
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Small expansion.
    No level cap increase.
    More stuff to do with existing high level characters.
    More reasons to make new characters.
    Mechanon.

This is a happy day.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kharma23 wrote: »
    New stuffs!? YAY!

tumblr_mbdlmc7OQn1r5kmr7.gif#excited%20anime%20girl%20gif%20497x280

THIS ^
    morigosa wrote: »
    Small expansion.
    No level cap increase.
    Mechanon.

This is a happy day.

And THIS ^

*warms up robot killing laser gun* :biggrin:
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The new AT sounds intriguing. The fact that new powers will exist, and will unlock account-wide for FFs, sounds even more so. (Happifun Security System X-4's Fists of Fury, coming soon!) And I do like the fact that there are reasons beyond simple boredom to complete this arc multiple times. (Which also leads to the hope that the arc will stick around on a permanent basis, like the Comic Series...)

Also, MECHANON! And with a canon reason why he keeps coming back after you've defeated him! :biggrin:

"Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Wow, I've got to say this is much better than I expected (a.k.a nothing)
    I really hope this will mean we'll have some nice updates more often after this and not spaced out by a year and a half.
    congrats!
    natesig.jpg

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Darn was hoping I would be around to make the thread myself first, but oh well.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Some people are taking this GAME a little too seriously. Threats and general rudeness isn't really needed in this thread. (Or any thread for that matter) If the above describes you, or your actions, please knock it off. We are getting something (Long time vets) we have not had in awhile!

Mechanon vs. Us!
    New AT.
    New Zone to play in?
    This is a good thing. For most of us, anyway.
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Extreme fangasms! The money I have expended on this game has been put to good use!

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    I hope they'll reconsider the fact theyre locking powers behind first leveling an AT. what if you don't care for said AT?

otherwise great job. I look forward to fighting mechanon. and all the other stuff which comes first.

I just don't look forward to leveling some AT I do not want just to gain access to new powers. thats plain silly.

I think it's a good approach that we have to earn the new powers. Incentives to play the content are always good. Whether the AT will be successful or if they have to find a new approach will remain to be seen.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, it's not close to the epic proportions some people were claiming, but 4 - 5 hours of play is certainly a step in the right direction when compared to previous "additions."

I agree with this, I wonder what the at will be like and play like
    edited August 2014
    riverocean wrote: »
    If you're going to make a claim like that you need to back that up with evidence. I've been following all of the announcements about possible new stuff coming. And never, ever did I hear anyone say anything close to that.

Trail Turtle has been cautious and very careful in in his announcements. And the only player related comments I've seen about updates, were very cautious as well.

Then you weren't following particularly closely, because such claims were made. Nevertheless, I said I wasn't going to name and shame and quoting the comments in question would do just that.

However, the people who made the claims know who they are and are free to put their foot in their mouths if they so wish.