ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Off Topic
558BB72D-36AA-4297-810D-40B36D84A54D.jpg

More like woah-der woman! Am I right? *highfive*
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Mmmm... I had my doubts about her physique (I had been hoping for someone more athletic) but I have to admit she pulls off the costume well. If she can act the part, I'm hoping that she and Supes will carry the movie and I don't have to worry about Batfleck dragging the quality down.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2014
    Really, if we were dead serious about actresses and actors looking exactly like their comic book characters...
    No comic book movie would be made. Ever.
  • kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ok, so I see Zena...where's Wonder Woman?

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

Mmmm... I had my doubts about her physique (I had been hoping for someone more athletic) but I have to admit she pulls off the costume well. If she can act the part, I'm hoping that she and Supes will carry the movie and I don't have to worry about Batfleck dragging the quality down.

As long as they deny the existence of the Green Lantern movie I'm sure everything will be fine :rolleyes:
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Damn, i say. Gawd damn.
    She was hot in all those Fast 'n' Furious flicks.
    Looks great.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    How they gonna do her movie origins though cause Wonder Woman's comic one is dumb...magic clay dumb :<
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    How they gonna do her movie origins though cause Wonder Woman's comic one is dumb...magic clay dumb :<

Could do like I always wanted,

WW: hi! I'm Wonder Woman
    Everyone: hi!
    WW: cool

I think by this point most people know who she is...don't really care where she came from *cough Superman *cough Batman

Also don't forget, we have Aquaman and Cyborg appearing. Could do like a Mo-Town band, "good evening everyone, my name is Batman and these are the Justice Leaguers"
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    so how come these amazons, not interested in the world of men, have high heels. A fashion item.
    Standard heel for boots especially practical boots is 1inch or flat.
    I really hate all these female heroes who supposedly live away from the world, sometimes in a low tech civilization and they have high heels or worse stiletto heels.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    so how come these amazons, not interested in the world of men, have high heels. A fashion item.
    Standard heel for boots especially practical boots is 1inch or flat.
    I really hate all these female heroes who supposedly live away from the world, sometimes in a low tech civilization and they have high heels or worse stiletto heels.

Because Wonder Woman was created by men. They were trying to get after the female demographic in comics. I never cared for Wonder Woman and always hate Super Heroines that always wear high heels. It's bloody dumb because you couldn't do a quarter of the crap they do in high heels.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I like the look. It seems like she worked out and put on some muscle. She looks a less anorexic then some of the other photos.

Also Wonder Woman's creator William Moulton Marston - was far from a typical guy. He was a psychologist who believed in the inherent emotional & intellectual superiority of women. He lived as a submissive to his wife and another woman in a triad relationship.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
    edited July 2014
    riverocean wrote: »
    It seems like she worked out and put on some muscle.

*looks at picture again*

Your definition of muscle and mine must be different because she looks rather smooth instead of toned.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    I don't see any toning either. :frown:
    edited July 2014
    *looks at picture again*

Your definition of muscle and mine must be different because she looks rather smooth instead of toned.

Well, she has put on something. I don't know if it's called muscles or what....Compared to F 'n' F pics.
    1205-jordana-brewster-and-gal-gadot-interview-1045333-flash-1045333-flash.jpg
    Or maybe her arm girth is just Movie Magic.
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Well, she has put on something. I don't if it's called muscles or what....Compared to F 'n' F pics.
    1205-jordana-brewster-and-gal-gadot-interview-1045333-flash-1045333-flash.jpg
    Or maybe her arm girth is just Movie Magic.

That's what I meant. She's noticeably less scrawny (and sick looking) then in her other photos. I didn't say she put on a lot of muscle.. I said SOME.. :D
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2014

More like woah... it's Xena Warrior Princess.
    edited July 2014
    riverocean wrote: »
    That's what I meant. She's noticeably less scrawny (and sick looking) then in her other photos. I didn't say she put on a lot of muscle.. I said SOME.. :D

In your picture you see her arms from the front, in the OP picture you see her arms from the side. Arm is wider from the side due to how the muscles are arranged.

Also she's probably flexing in the the first pic. Looks nice and relaxed at the beach ^_^
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Because Wonder Woman was created by men. They were trying to get after the female demographic in comics. I never cared for Wonder Woman and always hate Super Heroines that always wear high heels. It's bloody dumb because you couldn't do a quarter of the crap they do in high heels.
    In point of fact, Wonder Woman was created by a man who was into being tied up by women (he had a wife and a girlfriend at the time); the character was more an expression of his particular interests than any attempt at "female demographics" (like anyone cared about "demographics" in 1941).

There's a reason why so many images featured WW either tied up or tying someone else up, and why she could not be attracted to any man she could defeat...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • zer303606zer303606 Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    she looks like shes gonna fall over. too weak. need muscles. yea.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    A Venn diagram of "women who can act" and "tall, ripped, in-their-prime women who would look gorgeous with long black glamour hair and can fill out an eagle-crested bustier" probably looks like this: O O. Hollywood can't build a time machine to get Lynda Carter back, and they missed their windows on Lucy Lawless and Terry Farrell. If Soderberg couldn't get a half-decent performance out Gina Carano, nobody can. Ronda Rousey? A bit short, and probably not going to get any award nominations for Expendables 3. Maybe if USWHT power forward Hilary Knight had been in last year's ESPN Body Issue, she could have taken acting lessons faster than Gal Godot could add muscle mass to a naturally lanky frame.

Or we could give up on DC and get back to begging Marvel for a Katee Sackhoff Captain Marvel movie.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited July 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    More like woah... it's Xena Warrior Princess.

I wonder when Xena came out did people go, "Pffft, it's a Wonder Woman knock-off!"
    edited July 2014
    Gina Carano most likely could have kicked both Supes and Bats butts to Kingdom Come....And she is (was?) hanging out with Henry Cavill (yay Supes and Wondars love affair in the movie!!..)
    And they aren't looking for Oscar nominee acting skills anyways :biggrin:
    It's about measurements, height most likely...
    Henry Cavill is 1.85m
    Ben Affleck is 1.89m
    Gal Gadot is 1.78m
    Jason Momoa 1.93m (Aquaman!)
    Ray Fisher is tall (Cyborg!)
    edited July 2014
    Also, still just some sex object in a tight leather minidress and thigh highs.

Woah, she's got huge... uh... character development.... YO BUT CHECK OUT THE BACK STORY ON HER! YEAH! :D
  • skylygerskylyger Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Frankly I cant say I care much for the choice of actress. I rather feel the black haired woman playing the main female soldier of Zodds army in the superman relaunch if you watch the behind the scenes stuff for her would of been a great fit, she worked her arse off getting rather buff while maintaining great female curves. Her natural accent I think would be more complimentary to the role as well.

As an avid swordsman I can safely say the woman featured in the OPs pic would most certainly need super powers her physique seems incapable of to fight even a mere mortal batman to a draw let alone the god of war himself.
    edited July 2014
    I wonder when Xena came out did people go, "Pffft, it's a Wonder Woman knock-off!"

because she was clearly sub par to hercules while Princess Diana can mop up spilled ale with one of Hs full god siblings.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    A Venn diagram of "women who can act" and "tall, ripped, in-their-prime women who would look gorgeous with long black glamour hair and can fill out an eagle-crested bustier" probably looks like this: O O. Hollywood can't build a time machine to get Lynda Carter back, and they missed their windows on Lucy Lawless and Terry Farrell. If Soderberg couldn't get a half-decent performance out Gina Carano, nobody can. Ronda Rousey? A bit short, and probably not going to get any award nominations for Expendables 3. Maybe if USWHT power forward Hilary Knight had been in last year's ESPN Body Issue, she could have taken acting lessons faster than Gal Godot could add muscle mass to a naturally lanky frame.

Or we could give up on DC and get back to begging Marvel for a Katee Sackhoff Captain Marvel movie.

lets also be honest, lynda carter was not some "warrior ideal" of a ripped fighter, she was acceptable in the 70's in the way Adam west was batman and most superheroes who weren't "kato" and they hadn't exactly expected bruce lee to be the paragon of martial power himself. heck, at present katie perry is about as credible a fighter as lynda carter was.
    Fact is lets look at who right now is the most consistently bankable woman action hero lead, its milla jovavich(with the strangely profitable res evil series, though her work on 5th element, ultraviolet and that musketeers movie count as well) , and she is outright tiny. scarlet johannson has been getting some action bank too with "lucy" doing well and the avengers, and she really isn't a beast of power and steel either. framed correctly and with the right wardrobe, they can make people look formidable, or small, or like hobbits, it happens. Id say acting ability comes first, after that costume, camera and make-up can do a lot of the heavy lifting.
    edited July 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    In point of fact, Wonder Woman was created by a man who was into being tied up by women (he had a wife and a girlfriend at the time); the character was more an expression of his particular interests than any attempt at "female demographics" (like anyone cared about "demographics" in 1941).

There's a reason why so many images featured WW either tied up or tying someone else up, and why she could not be attracted to any man she could defeat...

Well I know the major reason was because the person that created it had a fetish, but the tag line was because they wanted female readers to.

That being said, that was always the dumbest thing about Wonder Woman, she could never be attracted or love a man that was weaker than her. Her damn powers were magic fueled, most of the planet was weaker than her by default, so that was the dumbest rule, about as dumb as putting her in high heels.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    skylyger wrote: »
    I rather feel the black haired woman playing the main female soldier of Zodds army in the superman relaunch if you watch the behind the scenes stuff for her would of been a great fit, she worked her arse off getting rather buff while maintaining great female curves. Her natural accent I think would be more complimentary to the role as well.

Yes, Antje Traue would be perfect... If not the fact that audience now remembers her as Faora and if ever any of rogue Kryptonians was needed again, that would complicate things.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Also, still just some sex object in a tight leather minidress and thigh highs.

Woah, she's got huge... uh... character development.... YO BUT HECK OUT THE BACK STORY ON HER! YEAH! :D

The last few years the Wonder Woman book has been rather good. Also Superman wears skintight spandex , has a perfect body and you can see his ..well bulge. Your arguement is invalid.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    IMHO - It begins with the smile.
    -
    greekmythology76.jpg
    -
    If you don't have LCs smile, you don't have the part.
    -
    Feel free to ignore this geezer. I know that you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_blOQEu9ws
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    that pic does kind of give us some perspective here, not exactly rippling bicep definition. she was a superhero by rule of cool, rather the "this totally makes sense."
    edited July 2014

2-wonder-woman-art-gce91jmo-12-wonder-woman-2---xnyt141--.jpg2.jpg

Not likely.
    edited July 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    The last few years the Wonder Woman book has been rather good. Also Superman wears skintight spandex , has a perfect body and you can see his ..well bulge. Your arguement is invalid.

You think supporting my argument by pointing out yet more sex objectry in comic books somehow... invalidates the same argument? o_O Are you saying it's only possible to objectify one gender at a time? n_n Too much catnip today Nepht?

Also, wearing spandex and having a bulge doesn't make a man into a sex symbol.

Men are made into sex symbols by showing off chest and abs.
    manowar1.jpg

Hence, Superman with his rather modest chest-covering outfit, does not qualify. If anything, his neck-to-toe skin tight covering and obviously padded groin is meant to allow his strength and gender identity to show through while completely covering up his sexuality.
    edited July 2014
    2-wonder-woman-art-gce91jmo-12-wonder-woman-2---xnyt141--.jpg2.jpg

Not likely.

I was thinking more on the lines of the 90s version when she had the skirt and other Xena like weapons. Guess one would have to see what came first, Xena was in 1995.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Here is the image without the filter.........

151667y74HKHY1nofiltre.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited July 2014
    Well I know the major reason was because the person that created it had a fetish, but the tag line was because they wanted female readers to.

That being said, that was always the dumbest thing about Wonder Woman, she could never be attracted or love a man that was weaker than her. Her damn powers were magic fueled, most of the planet was weaker than her by default, so that was the dumbest rule, about as dumb as putting her in high heels.

I actually always felt that might be something of a homage to Red Sonya the character created by Robert E Howard and was the source material for the 70s comic character red sonja of Marvel Comics.

The original is by and large considered the god mother source character for virtually all warrior women in fiction made since. So one might argue that Wonder Woman and Xena are both daughters of that god mother.

And for men who enjoy strong women for whatever reason her rule, which actually might well be the source of the very same rule given to red sonja by her goddess of war in answer to her prayer for strength after being ***** is actually about making her untouchable by those who male fans might see as unworthy of a magnificent example of the female form.

In other words for male readers of strong female leads, its well known in shows like for example buffy and charmed that ratings tended to sink whenever the ladies where paired with men the fans found unequal to them. guy crazy girls dont really care who their lady leads are getting it on with as long as they are hunks. However let some guy a male fan might honestly see as inferior even to themselves isnt some doctor who companion access point its a slap in the face that will drive away those male fans.

Im fairly sure it has something to do with the virgin/***** complex but I am no shrink to know for sure. I just know I dont watch shows like family guy anymore because after a while just the idea of a fat POS like peter tapping that fiery lois was so stomach turning I couldnt enjoy the show.
  • lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Not impressed.
    I like my Woman with some Funk in the trunk. Google (Jen Selter) for what I'm talking about.
    This actress looks like she needs to eat a bit. Maybe do some squats as well. Some push ups for those shoulders and arms wouldn't hurt either.

Wonder Woman should look "Strong"! Not bony and weak.

Meh.
    edited July 2014
    <snip>

I dunno if homage is the right word. Red Sonja was just another male fantasy character as well, that paraded around in the Conan universe in her skivies or less, but then again that was the Conan universe to.

And actually, I call them Whedon tropes, everyone of his shows is quite famous for pulling out specific key tropes at certain moments to keep viewers watching. Implied lesbian characters or full on lesbian characters, full on side boobs at key points, and of course sex scenes with strong male characters. When the ratings dropped he brought those out in force.

As effective as it might be it's why I never cared for shows like Buffy and such. Never cared for Family Guy either just because the shows not funny.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I actually always felt that might be something of a homage to Red Sonya the character created by Robert E Howard and was the source material for the 70s comic character red sonja of Marvel Comics.

Apart from the red hair and a similar name these two characters have very little in common(they're both warriors who are a match for any man, true...but one is a no nonsense pirate in a story that is basically historical fiction and the other is a chainmail bikini clad barbarian with sexual issues). Nice story...but not very accurate.
    edited July 2014
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    Apart from the red hair and a similar name these two characters have very little in common(they're both warriors who are a match for any man, true...but one is a no nonsense pirate in a story that is basically historical fiction and the other is a chainmail bikini clad barbarian with sexual issues). Nice story...but not very accurate.

while it is true that the differences between red sonya and red sonja are myriad it does not change the fact that howard and his character are said to be the source of inspiration and acknowledged as such even in the films credits.

the fact she was also put into the same sword and sorcery era as created by howard in the conan stories makes it clear to anyone familiar with all of it that clearly that thomas and smith where full on in the throes of howards creations.

Also trying to call one of Howards works historical fiction and the other not is rather insulting to the man imo. We may not know much about those ancient eras, but we know they are a source of myths and legends. Who are we to say with absolute certainty no monsters, god like beings, and mortals with the power to manipulate things most can not ever walked this world in its vast span of time whirling through this salty sea clad sphere spinning through the void.

Frankly I rather like to think such an era as Conan lived in did happen much as howard imagined it.

Keep in mind once Troy the war, and all things connected to it where deemed as myth with no basis in history, now we know far more of it then many would of imagined was the truth to the best of our understanding. While some will still say well there is still no chance a unstoppable certain figures of larger then life abilities could not have been as they are said to have been, I myself have to wonder why if the city and the war where truth do legends like Achilles facing off against the amazon queen and falling in love with her after dealing her a mortal wound be some myth that could not possibly have ever happened.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    while it is true that the differences between red sonya and red sonja are myriad it does not change the fact that howard and his character are said to be the source of inspiration and acknowledged as such even in the films credits.

the fact she was also put into the same sword and sorcery era as created by howard in the conan stories makes it clear to anyone familiar with all of it that clearly that thomas and smith where full on in the throes of howards creations.

Also trying to call one of Howards works historical fiction and the other not is rather insulting to the man imo. We may not know much about those ancient eras, but we know they are a source of myths and legends. Who are we to say with absolute certainty no monsters, god like beings, and mortals with the power to manipulate things most can not ever walked this world in its vast span of time whirling through this salty sea clad sphere spinning through the void.

Frankly I rather like to think such an era as Conan lived in did happen much as howard imagined it.

Keep in mind once Troy the war, and all things connected to it where deemed as myth with no basis in history, now we know far more of it then many would of imagined was the truth to the best of our understanding. While some will still say well there is still no chance a unstoppable certain figures of larger then life abilities could not have been as they are said to have been, I myself have to wonder why if the city and the war where truth do legends like Achilles facing off against the amazon queen and falling in love with her after dealing her a mortal wound be some myth that could not possibly have ever happened.

I'm not trying to tell you what to believe...just that the story The Shadow of the Vulture is in fact based around events in documented history... The Siege of Vienna. (with many liberties taken.) And while Roy Thomas and Co did take inspiration from Red Sonya in creating Red Sonja...almost every aspect of Red Sonja's background was invented by Roy Thomas and friends during the 1970s.

Also: https://archive.org/details/TheShadowOfTheVulture <--give this a read, it is a lot of fun.

So no, Red Sonya/Sonja has nothing to do with the creation of Wonder Woman.
    edited July 2014
    It's like actual R. E. Howard's Conan vs movie Conan.
    Or Sunbow cartoon Optimus Prime vs Michael Bay's Optimus Prime.
    Technically they're the same character.
    Technically.

Also, Troian War:

The city itself is true. Albet it was more likely a vassal of the Hittite empire and under Hittite cultural influence.
    Greek combatant names might be true. And they were probably quite common back then.
    Amazons might be true, except they weren't exactly classical Amazons, but indoeuropean Iranian steppe tribes and very unlikely all-female wariors.
    This periond of history is suprisingly well documented for a something that ancient.
  • rexcelestisrexcelestis Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I found this comparison on Facebook, yesterday:

tumblr_n9dnjbLLpU1tx9g1co1_500.jpg

Provided by http://thebanegrimm.tumblr.com/post/93018105482/left-is-the-new-wonder-woman-being-deemed-still.

Left is the new Wonder Woman. Being deemed still too skinny and frail.
    Right is Kacy Catanzaro, the first female to advance to the finals of American Ninja. Considered strong and inspiring to female athletes.

They don't look too far apart from each other to me.
    edited July 2014

Right is Kacy Catanzaro, the first female to advance to the finals of American Ninja. Considered strong and inspiring to female athletes.

Quite the contrary. The Wonder Woman shot has no definition and if she has muscle you couldn't tell. The woman on the right is very toned, and you can see her muscles clearly defined.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    Quite the contrary. The Wonder Woman shot has no definition and if she has muscle you couldn't tell. The woman on the right is very toned, and you can see her muscles clearly defined.
    ^Kinda this.

Shoulders, biceps, forearms and hands, I can clearly point at muscles on the shot on the right. Torso is also more defined.
    On the shot on the left it's not that visible.

On the other hand, it's hard to expect an exact likeness from any actor playing comic book character.
    And it's not like a lot of actresses exactly looks like Wonder Woman. Plus, how this character is drawn also differs from artist to artist.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To be honest, I'm not seeing a lot of difference in "muscle definition" between this WW photo of Gal Gadot in a straight unflexed pose, and any of the other actresses mentioned on this thread as having depicted strong, athletic women, in similar poses. Scarlett Johansson, Lucy Lawless, Katee Sackhoff, even Antje Traue as Faora and Jamie Alexander as Sif -- I've seen all of them in limb-baring outfits during their most athletic phases, with scarcely a bulging bicep among them. For that matter, even in the comics we rarely see female superheroes drawn that way, aside from She-Hulk.

What seems to count most in making us believe in these characters, is that their personalities radiate strength and confidence. If Gal Gadot has the acting skill to do that, I think she'll do fine.
  • maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    GINA CARANO, period!

Gina%20Carano%20--1.jpg

To me, she's the definition of an Amazon!
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
    edited July 2014

Indeed. The gal on the right has very obvious muscular definition, the biceps and shoulders were the first things I noticed.
    edited July 2014

tumblr_n9dnjbLLpU1tx9g1co1_500.jpg

Provided by http://thebanegrimm.tumblr.com/post/93018105482/left-is-the-new-wonder-woman-being-deemed-still.

Sure, I could see either of them running an agility course.

Fighting on a battlefield? I'd send them home before the fighting starts.
This discussion has been closed.