test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why are there RARELY weekend "events" in CO?

neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
Neverwinter - another CTA

STO - Dilithium weekend

CO - *crickets chirping*

I can't even remember the last time WE had a Questionite weekend. Seriously, do you guys just not give a **** about your game or are you just trying to get the right numbers to justify shutting it down?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
Post edited by neuraldamage on

Comments

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We got some Double Experience Weekends. They just haven't programmed that into some other kind of reward boost.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's simple. Because this is CO.
    We could say that those 2 other games also have frequent Actual Content updates also. Like new maps and ****e.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    In my experience, the big reason is that CO devs NEVER work on weekends.

Your tickets will not get answered until monday, nor will any hotfixes or server maintenance take place. Updating the game once a week is literally too stressful for them.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• artmanpweartmanpwe Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I also get the feeling they think Q production is too high. So, it's unlikely we'll see a Double Q weekend any time soon.
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lets see, 2 games that have to keep running well to please the IP owner and
    to keep the money flowing in(NW is running into a problem with selling Dragonborn packs)

1 game they own the IP and don't have to worry about doing anything on it.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    lets see, 2 games that have to keep running well to please the IP owner and
    to keep the money flowing in(NW is running into a problem with selling Dragonborn packs)

1 game they own the IP and don't have to worry about doing anything on it.

Uhhh Neverwinter has substantially larger player base than Champions does. Not to mention the Dragonborn packs just went up on sale. So I don't think that's a problem.

That being said why do the other games get more events... again look at the player bases. It's not because Cryptic has to please the IP owners, it's because those games have players in them (waiting for the next person to come in and say Champions foots the bill for both games soon) substantially more players playing at any one time. During the summer event which was basically the same event from last year, Risa had 70+ zones active at a time and the zones were capped at 50 people, but that was still substantially more players than have been on Champions at peak time lately.

Neverwinter also has many active zones, even though they are capped at 50 over there instead of the normal 100. Until Champions gets a player base and people stop purposely trying to frighten them away, we have to subside on the budget we give them in the long run which means less seasonal content for interest.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Uhhh Neverwinter has substantially larger player base than Champions does. Not to mention the Dragonborn packs just went up on sale. So I don't think that's a problem.

That being said why do the other games get more events... again look at the player bases. It's not because Cryptic has to please the IP owners, it's because those games have players in them (waiting for the next person to come in and say Champions foots the bill for both games soon) substantially more players playing at any one time. During the summer event which was basically the same event from last year, Risa had 70+ zones active at a time and the zones were capped at 50 people, but that was still substantially more players than have been on Champions at peak time lately.

Neverwinter also has many active zones, even though they are capped at 50 over there instead of the normal 100. Until Champions gets a player base and people stop purposely trying to frighten them away, we have to subside on the budget we give them in the long run which means less seasonal content for interest.

So no hope :frown:
    Maybe when the convergence of millenium city with the qliphotic realms CO will magically wake up with 5 or 10 times more subscribers.

I appreciate the new costumes and vehicles but the game itself feels a bit neglected.
    edited July 2014
    gandales wrote: »
    So no hope :frown:
    Maybe when the convergence of millenium city with the qliphotic realms CO will magically wake up with 5 or 10 times more subscribers.

I appreciate the new costumes and vehicles but the game itself feels a bit neglected.

It's not being neglected they just don't have the funds to sit there and try to force out new content then additional seasonal stuff on a grand scale like the other two games do. Again it stems from people purposely sabotaging this game within this very community that doesn't help it.

Is there hope, yes. Will things happen fast, not likely. Even if we did have a larger player base pumping money in and a decently sized dev team, it will still take time for them to develop new content and given the nature of impatience with people (see launch to Vibora Bay roughly about 7 months even with minor event content between and people kept claiming the devs were neglecting the game back then) I don't think people would be satisfied even if the devs were delivering new full content on a monthly basis in this game.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Again it stems from people purposely sabotaging this game within this very community that doesn't help it.

Do you participate in any other game communities?

I'm not being facetious. I really want to know what frame of reference you have if you think this community is so much worse than others.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited July 2014
    Do you participate in any other game communities?

I'm not being facetious. I really want to know what frame of reference you have if you think this community is so much worse than others.

I participate in quite a few communities actually. Doomsaying is prevalent in most, but no community has been as outright hostile to the point of telling people to stay away on a regular basis as this one. Now, I can point my fingers at one particular group of people, but I won't because they know it's true anyways, and Champions started out rocky, but let's face facts, even when the devs prove something is happening with this game, this player base sits back and claims nothing is happening.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Seriously, do you guys just not give a $hit about your game or are you just trying to get the right numbers to justify shutting it down?

So, what you're saying is that Cryptic is so stupid that they bought offices in another state, hired a bunch of people, and are basically spending a ton of money on a game they're going to shut down all with PW's blessing?

It's not because Cryptic has to please the IP owners,

Yes, they do. If Cryptic doesn't meet the expectations and demands of the IP owners, they get to shut down those games. That would be a huge hit in terms of profit and reputation. I'm sure both IP owners have player base and profit demands that Cryptic must meet in order to keep the games running. I doubt Cryptic wants to be the company know for screwing up Star Trek or Neverwinter.

Games are made or broken by the company, not the players. It's not our job to promote this game, it's Cryptic's. If players don't think the game is worth talking about, that's Cryptic's fault, not the players.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited July 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    Yes, they do. If Cryptic doesn't meet the expectations and demands of the IP owners, they get to shut down those games. That would be a huge hit in terms of profit and reputation. I'm sure both IP owners have player base and profit demands that Cryptic must meet in order to keep the games running. I doubt Cryptic wants to be the company know for screwing up Star Trek or Neverwinter.

Games are made or broken by the company, not the players. It's not our job to promote this game, it's Cryptic's. If players don't think the game is worth talking about, that's Cryptic's fault, not the players.

Yes, because for the longest time STO wasn't receiving huge updates. Sterga sometimes I wonder if you just selectively forget history.

Also, really, you are going to tell me players can't dictate or decide if a game succeeds or fails at all? That players word of mouth has absolutely no bearing on how well a game does or not? That you believe a company just won't shut a game down because it's not profitable? If you believe that, all I ask is you pass whatever it is you are smoking cause it has to be good.

Considering how many games have succeeded or failed due to players in spite of good advertising to boot, I find your statements uninformed at best, and dubious at worse.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    I participate in quite a few communities actually. Doomsaying is prevalent in most, but no community has been as outright hostile to the point of telling people to stay away on a regular basis as this one. Now, I can point my fingers at one particular group of people, but I won't because they know it's true anyways, and Champions started out rocky, but let's face facts, even when the devs prove something is happening with this game, this player base sits back and claims nothing is happening.

So a small fraction of forum posters, who are themselves a small fraction of the total population, are doing enough bad-mouthing to suppress global interest in this game? That's not "word-of-mouth", that's Menton-scale mass hypnosis.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's not being neglected they just don't have the funds to sit there and try to force out new content then additional seasonal stuff on a grand scale like the other two games do. Again it stems from people purposely sabotaging this game within this very community that doesn't help it.

Is there hope, yes. Will things happen fast, not likely. Even if we did have a larger player base pumping money in and a decently sized dev team, it will still take time for them to develop new content and given the nature of impatience with people (see launch to Vibora Bay roughly about 7 months even with minor event content between and people kept claiming the devs were neglecting the game back then) I don't think people would be satisfied even if the devs were delivering new full content on a monthly basis in this game.

What if your basis for hope? My main issue if that CN does not seem to have plan besides the vehicle+lockbox+ocasional new alert thing. This game is approaching to its 5th birthday, and its competitors are not taking it easy, one of them already got hideouts and it is getting SG bases soon among other things.
    edited July 2014
    gandales wrote: »
    What if your basis for hope? My main issue if that CN does not seem to have plan besides the vehicle+lockbox+ocasional new alert thing. This game is approaching to its 5th birthday, and its competitors are not taking it easy, one of them already got hideouts and it is getting SG bases soon among other things.

Because there is stuff coming this fall, we've been told that much. The lockboxes and new costumes are to create revenue to fund updates. Contrary to popular opinion of many here, MMOs are not charities and do not operate on well wishes and love. They require funding and they get that funding by the players actually buying things. Costumes and lockboxes with keys seem to be the biggest items so those are worked on the most, which is in turn used to generate revenue. It takes time to develop new content, whether we like it or not, and they have to work within a budget. It takes money to pay those concept artists, developers and so forth. And imagine many of the amateur artists on sites like deviantart usually ask anywhere from $50 to $80 bucks for just basic outlines imagine how much professional artists tend to go for since they have to concept, sketch and color the artwork. And that's just one field in the dev team.

While people like to believe the game's in maintenance mode, if the game was truly in maintenance mode we wouldn't even get the lockboxes or costumes. Maintenance mode means nothing is actually being done and the game wouldn't even receive those basic updates. Maintenance would mean they just cycle maintenance on Thursday with no real updates.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    So a small fraction of forum posters, who are themselves a small fraction of the total population, are doing enough bad-mouthing to suppress global interest in this game? That's not "word-of-mouth", that's Menton-scale mass hypnosis.

Wow, you really do not get out and read many sites do you if you think I was just referring to this forum.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Because there is stuff coming this fall, we've been told that much.

Could I have a link please? I seem to have missed the momentous news.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited July 2014
    Could I have a link please? I seem to have missed the momentous news.

No, because you're a silly Brit who thinks Ben Affleck is a good actor. :tongue:
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    No, because you're a silly Brit who thinks Ben Affleck is a good actor. :tongue:

Don't tongue me :wink: I also never said that Affleck is a good actor *tongue*

But seriously though do we have any announcements, all I've seen is rumours from a few players.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited July 2014
    Wow, you really do not get out and read many sites do you if you think I was just referring to this forum.

Oh, so it's a grand right-wing conspiracy in a sub-sub-sub-subreddit somewhere that occasionally surfaces long enough to make grouchy posts on Massively, where Turbine could get $#!^ on for giving away free kittens and John Smedley is the Anti-Christ.

Got it.
    edited July 2014
    Oh, so it's a grand right-wing conspiracy in a sub-sub-sub-subreddit somewhere that occasionally surfaces long enough to make grouchy posts on Massively, where Turbine could get $#!^ on for giving away free kittens and John Smedley is the Anti-Christ.

Got it.

I never realized public websites and game review sites where people leave their reviews and opinions were super sub reddits. Really, do you not read anywhere? Nor did I actually believe that the comments section from well known reviewers all the sudden constituted as super unknowns.

You are really trying to go far to make it sound like all these public opinions and such are just super hidden from the public at large.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Let's bring this into scale for a moment so we can avoid the usual conversations and such. The OP is comparing what CO isn't getting to the pretty small mini-events in STO/NW. They're not asking for the heavens, new zones, space, and blah blah blah. Just something like "Double Questionite Weekend" or "Hey, let's all pummel Foxbat Alerts Weekend." By comparison this is pretty small beans...and not that unreasonable of a request to be honest.

As for the "They don't do weekends" bit. Some, very rare, people do check in on the game on weekends but...really...that's not the point. You set something like these mini-events up, kick them off on a Thursday or Friday, and then turn them off on Monday Morning when you come into work.

IMO, all these conversations about the playerbase and the cash numbers and the zzzzzz....ok, it's cute and all. It has it's place. I do not think this is that place. This is another example of the smaller things(which could be done more than once and create a sense of activity) and, as such, should be looked at in the sense that they are the smaller things.*

*Disclaimer: Not a Dev. Don't know how much work that "mini-event switch" would require. Betting it's less than the work for a new zone. :wink:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
    edited July 2014
    I never realized public websites and game review sites where people leave their reviews and opinions were super sub reddits. Really, do you not read anywhere? Nor did I actually believe that the comments section from well known reviewers all the sudden constituted as super unknowns.

You are really trying to go far to make it sound like all these public opinions and such are just super hidden from the public at large.

Sarcasm detection is not one of your strengths, is it?

My point is that everybody's angry, everybody sucks. There isn't an MMO out there that doesn't get the "Don't play that game, it's crap." treatment from somebody. And if that somebody happens to be a writer for a site, not J. Random Commenter, it's because that writer plays the game, watches the patch notes, gets the press releases (or lack thereof) and can see with their own two eyes whether the game is getting real content, lockbox events, or just lockboxes without events. (Gee, what are we getting right now? It sure as $#!^ ain't expansions.)

Our community is not a special little venom snowflake that's so angry that it somehow made Cryptic developers cower in fear, when two weeks of our %!^@#ing, condensed into one text file, would look like a typical Tuesday morning on the STO or NW forums.
    edited July 2014
    Sarcasm detection is not one of your strengths, is it?

My point is that everybody's angry, everybody sucks. There isn't an MMO out there that doesn't get the "Don't play that game, it's crap." treatment from somebody. And if that somebody happens to be a writer for a site, not J. Random Commenter, it's because that writer plays the game, watches the patch notes, gets the press releases (or lack thereof) and can see with their own two eyes whether the game is getting real content, lockbox events, or just lockboxes without events. (Gee, what are we getting right now? It sure as $#!^ ain't expansions.)

Our community is not a special little venom snowflake that's so angry that it somehow made Cryptic developers cower in fear, when two weeks of our %!^@#ing, condensed into one text file, would look like a typical Tuesday morning on the STO or NW forums.

Sometimes amazes me your leaps in logic at times. I've read the STO and NW forums, and they hardly compare to the vitriol that use to be spilled on this forum.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Because you touch yourself at night. u3u

Oh, did someone make that joke already? I don't care. u3u

Oh... did the thread already reach the part where people argue with each other like drunken middle-aged house wives? I CARE IMMENSELY O3O
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    so where exactly is this news about stuff we are getting in Fall?
    On the forums?
    On Massively(as in, only one they are allowed to give intervfeiws about CO on)
    On facebook?
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?714881-Announcing-the-Dragonborn-Race&p=8490601#post8490601
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?709681-Patch-Notes-NW-15-20140707a-7
    and thats just recent complaints.
    they complain about being and to buy/sell, not being able to buy/sell.
    getting not enough, getting less than they want,
    not being able to get free zen.
    not being able to get free AD.
    their class not being the most powerful.
    same as, same as
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    On the forums?
    On facebook?

it was a post by trail, on these forums, however not one thing was said that could bring any kind of hope for this game, all the was said was there is something being developed and trail is excited to get the players to play. That could be a new arc or something else. It wont be anything like sto and now.
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yes, because for the longest time STO wasn't receiving huge updates. Sterga sometimes I wonder if you just selectively forget history.

Also, really, you are going to tell me players can't dictate or decide if a game succeeds or fails at all? That players word of mouth has absolutely no bearing on how well a game does or not? That you believe a company just won't shut a game down because it's not profitable? If you believe that, all I ask is you pass whatever it is you are smoking cause it has to be good.

Considering how many games have succeeded or failed due to players in spite of good advertising to boot, I find your statements uninformed at best, and dubious at worse.

and you forget, the reason they put more development into sto was because CBS was not happy and was threating to take away start trek from cryptic.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    On the forums?
    On facebook?

I think it's in the CoT forums.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited July 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    i Think It's In The Cot Forums.

Lmao

zrdRBy8.png
  • sammiefightersammiefighter Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    :confused:
    Sometimes amazes me your leaps in logic at times. I've read the STO and NW forums, and they hardly compare to the vitriol that use to be spilled on this forum.

I guess everything relative, cause of Crytpic forums I've found STO worse than CO forums for whiny crybaby tempertantrum throwing. NW just seems to mod out anything juicy last I popped over. This forums on average downright pleasant and tame compared to other MMOs
    On the forums?
    On facebook?

The in-game murmur romour mill did stir up recently with another round of "I have friends who are devs" / "I'm in the secret dev channel" / "I pear into the depths of the game" and so on and will tell you "stuff is comming" "Honest". Truth, teases, attention mongers, rumor repeaters can't tell you. But if you havn't heard ... Staff fighting, is comming .. soon .. for 2+ years!

Hopefully they're working on something amaze-balls, and hopefully it's not (personal oppinion) the grindy STO rep cut/pastes, or RNG based terror of NW (Rampage token system?). It's sad that development for CO scares me more than no development.

Back to the original question.

Should they turn on Fox Bat Vehicle thing, or Lumerian Mini Missions or any other left over content for a week here or there.

Why not, it shoudn't be that hard.
    Why don't they. I'll join the "they lazy" crowd

:confused: Actually are there other non holiday themed events (Xmas, Aniversery, Halloween, 4th of July summer event )
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Neverwinter - another CTA

STO - Dilithium weekend

CO - *crickets chirping*

I can't even remember the last time WE had a Questionite weekend. Seriously, do you guys just not give a **** about your game or are you just trying to get the right numbers to justify shutting it down?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell

If they didnt give a **** about CO they would just shut it down. There has to be more events and stuff in NW and STO to keep WB and CBS happy. Cryptic and PWE dont need too worry about CO to much event wise because they own the IP.

The in-game murmur romour mill did stir up recently with another round of "I have friends who are devs" / "I'm in the secret dev channel" / "I pear into the depths of the game" and so on and will tell you "stuff is comming" "Honest". Truth, teases, attention mongers, rumor repeaters can't tell you. But if you havn't heard ... Staff fighting, is comming .. soon .. for 2+ years!

Its called the Fourmites channel its not a secret dev channel ( you can ask Crosschan for an invite anytime ) it was set up by the player Angel of Caine and the devs to talk a bit on that channel . There is something coming but they are not saying what it is ( guess they arnt allowed to ) but as far as we know it could be another set of lockboxes.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited July 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    Its called the Fourmites channel its not a secret dev channel ( you can ask Crosschan for an invite anytime )

But they won't invite you u3u
    edited July 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    But they won't invite you u3u

I said ASK never said anything about getting in :P
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited July 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    I said ASK never said anything about getting in :P

Meow-Mix-Pate.jpg
    u3u
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited July 2014

You mean that time they took assets from CO to beef up STO? Which lead CO down the path of neglect and unlove?

Word of mouth only works if people are listening or you have an audience to talk to. I doubt anyone here has that kind of clout. At best, anyone here can sway people on a very small scale.

PW isn't in the habit of shutting down games and I seriously doubt they're going to spend a bunch of money on a game they plan to close. But they can totally piss off their IP overlords and lose those games even if they might be doing OK.

It's nice that you reduce my arguments to me being a drug users. Makes your opinion more valid to have personal attacks, right? Also nice to see you belittle other people's opinions because they've clearly been living in a cave or something while also not being bothered to actually offer up something as simple as a link to the things you reference.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited July 2014
    "They won't add anything substantial to the game unless they get the players first."

I facepalm every time I hear this argument.

The fact is they won't get an influx of players unless they regularly add that substantial content first.

Promising to make more content if they get more players first is like Square-Enix promising to remake FF7 if FFX Remake #4 sells better than FF7 did. Broken/unreasonable promises they never intend to fulfill.

Champions has needed an expansion to the game since 2011.
    edited July 2014
    "They won't add anything substantial to the game unless they get the players first."

The fact is they won't get an influx of players unless they regularly add that substantial content first.

Promising to make more content if they get more players first is like Square-Enix promising to remake FF7 if FFX Remake #4 sells better than FF7 did. Broken/unreasonable promises they never intend to fulfill.

FFX was mentioned you all know what this Youtube link is showing, but your all gonna click it anyway. Shamefull U_U
    edited July 2014

So where do you propose they get the money and funds from? I know it's a common belief that Champions funds all of it, is supposedly going to Star Trek Online and Neverwinter instead, even despite physical evidence to the contrary, but really. Where are they suppose to get the funds? Investors only invest on sure fire things, and let's face it, our player base hasn't exactly inspired confidence when new projects are actually made.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So where do you propose they get the money and funds from? I know it's a common belief that Champions funds all of it, is supposedly going to Star Trek Online and Neverwinter instead, even despite physical evidence to the contrary, but really. Where are they suppose to get the funds? Investors only invest on sure fire things, and let's face it, our player base hasn't exactly inspired confidence when new projects are actually made.

52994686.jpg
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
    edited July 2014
    Guys, if enough people show up in my backyard, I'll start planning a party. Deal?

Listen, we all love parties, but your actions dictate whether I will throw a party or not. If I don't throw that party... well, just wasn't enough of you standing around in my yard for long enough.

Oh hey, while you're waiting, could you pick up some dog poop? Hey hey hey hey... you want this party to happen, you gotta help out all right?
    edited July 2014
    Guys, if enough people show up in my backyard, I'll start planning a party. Deal?

Listen, we all love parties, but your actions dictate whether I will throw a party or not. If I don't throw that party... well, just wasn't enough of you standing around in my yard for long enough.

Oh hey, while you're waiting, could you pick up some dog poop? Hey hey hey hey... you want this party to happen, you gotta help out all right?

Well if no one shows up for a party you throw then you don't have a party do you :tongue:

Now let's see if quasimojo can actually do something relative and counter point or are you going to just be insulting because you can't?
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    Well if no one shows up for a party you throw then you don't have a party do you :tongue:

Exactly. Now, granted, you guys are just gonna have to kind of... hang out and meander in my backyard while I plan the party and buy party supplies and stuff... but hey I'm sure in the meantime you guys will find something fun to do in my backyard that has nothing in it. And no you're not allowed to bring party supplies or start the party yourselves, you have to wait for me to do it u3u

But hey buck up, you're supporting me, and there's a good chance I'll actually throw that party in like a month or two if you guys stick around :D

Disclaimer: The party is not a guarantee, and I reserve the right to just hand out presents that have locks on them and then charge you money or yard work to open them u3u But you can't blame me if I do that, it's your fault for being in my yard to begin with... but not in large enough numbers.
    edited July 2014
    Exactly. Now, granted, you guys are just gonna have to kind of... hang out and meander in my backyard while I plan the party and buy party supplies and stuff... but hey I'm sure in the meantime you guys will find something fun to do in my backyard that has nothing in it. And no you're not allowed to bring party supplies or start the party yourselves, you have to wait for me to do it u3u

But hey buck up, you're supporting me, and there's a good chance I'll actually throw that party in like a month or two if you guys stick around :D

Disclaimer: The party is not a guarantee, and I reserve the right to just hand out presents that have locks on them and then charge you money or yard work to open them u3u But you can't blame me if I do that, it's your fault for being in my yard to begin with... but not in large enough numbers.

I think there is a whopping difference between a party you throw and a business operation. Though many businesses also base parties on how much they make anyways. So guess not too much difference.

So...
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited July 2014

This is essentially what broke me off CO (thankfully). Well that and rl issues =almost no spare time, but what spare time I have I'm not devoting too a lost cause.

Cryptic has ceased communicating in regards to CO. They have not done so with the other titles they run. Why anyone thinks this situation is any different than any other MMO that is in maintenance mode is beyond me. The idea that Cryptic is planning "something big" has been Bigfooting itself around for how long now? The idea is sillier than the task force hail mairy project on Titan. It has no basis in reality. If you like the game as is, fine. If you are going to continue to ask for more content, and you have been here awhile, frankly by this point you should know better and be prepared to receive squat.

And yes, I am bitter. Because I should have known better. At any rate doesn't matter, CO has lasted longer than many thought and it's still running. Games age. Support for games that aren't terribly profitable isn't going to all of a sudden magically become a trend. It's money. Money. There is no point in getting frustrated anymore. Cryptic doesn't hate CO, the playerbase didn't create a "toxic" atmosphere, and lets just add all the other nonsensical excuses and cut to the chase:

There isn't going to be any meaningful improvement because Cryptic is a business and there's no money to be made here in terms of that money translating into a new zone, level cap increase, super duper dealie bobber event, or whatever. You want new stuff? Play STO or NW. You happy with a good CC and combat system as is? Play CO.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Stuff's coming, but it's beyond our scope to discuss and would be rude to step on community management's toes.

Let them take the time they need. I know many are scrabbling at the surfaces of their keyboards, wondering where the money's going; spouting vitriol and contempt, but soon it will be no more, at least as we know it.
    Open your eye to a bright, shining future.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • skylygerskylyger Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    oh the endless cycle of new blood and the couple die hards defending the cause against the big bad ol haters who have managed to fight free of the psychological addiction that is MMOdependancy.

CO will forever be a godsend to me in that regaurd. CoH had bred into me such a strong addiction to the MMO genre that for years leaping around to try them all became the onlly kind of game I played.

Then between the failings of Champions and Dungeon and Dragons Online aka DDO I finally began to recognize the flawed logic I had fallen into using to justify my delusion that I was having fun wasting countless hours grinding away or investing into a game world that was supposed to be ever expanding and my actions would impact.

City Of Heroes is the only MMO that ever did live up to that hype for me. Its long gone and with it imo the golden age of MMOs where developers cared for and personally enjoyed partaking in their world.

Champions simply put faltered and failed the race long ago and we are riding its poor corpse that we keep on beating and yelling at to get up and win. We all lost out with our bets placed on CO in the form of pre purchase buys and LTSs that judging by the lack of many of the old vanguard still on these forums to defend the game it clearly dropped the ball.

Now every 6 months to a year that pass a handful of newcomers who become so ardently enraptured by the very same content that we have had since launch day by and large take up the cause to defend while most just give up and move on and a few like myself full of bitter rage will pop up from time to time to vent it.
    edited July 2014

By this logic, FF7 would have been remade by now.
    edited July 2014
    By this logic, FF7 would have been remade by now.

No, because they never said they would remake FF7. Inf act they keep adamantly saying they won't remake FF7. That isn't logic that's just spouting out non-sense there.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    skylyger wrote: »
    oh the endless cycle of new blood and the couple die hards defending the cause against the big bad ol haters who have managed to fight free of the psychological addiction that is MMOdependancy.

I play at best once a week for half an hour, but I still defend the game... so where do I fall in that description?
This discussion has been closed.