test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Russian superheroes and villains?

patternwalkerpatternwalker Posts: 167 Arc User
Does Champions lore address Soviet/Russian superheroes and villains?

I ask specifically because I have a Russian-origin character who was the recipient of a "super-soldier" type serum, and I would like to make sure he fits within existing lore. Any help would be appreciated, either with specific information or ideas on which sourcebooks might be helpful.
Post edited by patternwalker on

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Someone will have better answers, but i can pull a quickie.

We have Red Winter ingame. http://web.archive.org/web/20130511133009/http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Red_Winter

Eurostar, Europes baddest villain group has Russian leader, Durak.

1968, the Soviet Union founds the People’s Legion as its superhero team. They remain active until 1989.

Also,
    Russia
    Major Solo Heroes: Vulnapyezdka (“Waverider”), Gyeroy Vedun (“Hero Wizard”)
    Major Hero Teams: Russkiye Zashchitniki (“The Russian Defenders”): Stalnoy Volk (“Steel Wolf”), Zempletpyasenee (“Quake”), Syeryebro (“Silver”), Mamont (“Mammoth”), Kapitan Ukrayina (“Captain Ukraine”),
    Agencies: None.
    Villains: Slun (“the Bishop”), Molnya (“Lightning”), Technyik (“the Technician”), Beek (“the Ox”).
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2014
    Captain Ukraine is in Russian team?
    *facepalm*
    Here's hoping it's setup from the USSR period, because if it's modern it's quite dumb writing, bad homework, and a big offence for Ukrainians who also had to claw for their independence from Russia.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Captain Ukraine is in Russian team?
    *facepalm*
    Here's hoping it's setup from the USSR period, because if it's modern it's quite dumb writing, bad homework, and a big offence for Ukrainians who also had to claw for their independence from Russia.

Admittedly the optics aren't the best, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds. The Russian Defenders hero team is an informal group that bands together periodically to "fight Russian crime." They are private heroes, not affiliated with any government, and I get the impression from their description in Champions Worldwide that that name wasn't formally chosen by them. Moreover, "Captain Ukraine" (and CW specifies he calls himself that) was a former Spetsnaz soldier, so a sentimental attachment to Russia wouldn't be unreasonable. Still, the current political situation may well have fractured the Russian Defenders.

Patternwalker, there's actually a significant amount of information about superhuman activity in Russia, past and present, in Champions PnP books. Most of it is covered in Champions Worldwide, which deals with superhumans and super-related issues over most of the Earth outside the United States and Canada. Pretty much all the other info appears in entries in Champions Universe and the Champions Villains trilogy. The second volume of that trilogy, Villain Teams, includes the above mentioned Red Winter, formerly a government team from the late Soviet era, turned mercenary after the collapse of the USSR.

Red Winter is of particular relevance to your question, because its leader, the Soviet Guard, is a physically enhanced "super soldier," one of the rare successes by Directorate Black-12, the Soviet Union's program to create state superheroes. The Soviet Guard process was used on two other members of Red Winter, but although they were enhanced, because they weren't as genetically compatible with the treatments as Soviet Guard they didn't become truly superhuman.

The heirs to Directorate Black-12 presumably still have the specifics of the process, but in recent decades have gone freelance, selling their scientific expertise to the highest bidder.

If you would like more info, or if this doesn't suit your purpose, feel free to post followups. :smile:
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Eurostar, Europes baddest villain group has Russian leader, Durak.

Clarification: the leader of Eurostar is the Danish mastermind, Fiacho (Esperanto for "very bad"). Durak is the team's strongman.
  • patternwalkerpatternwalker Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This was extremely useful information. Thanks so much!