test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Psi Aura Pack - Suggestion

spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Suggestions Box
Hey all,

Been kicking this idea around for a while now (against strange odds of a head-only Aura pack happening), but, I think it's got great potential in customizing our characters even further - give them a power signature, so to speak, that's reflective of a character's concept, personality and all of that (especially when it comes to psionic powers - should be as personalized as possible).

So: idea > need-plan-result , here it goes - but: I'd like this thread to be a collaborative effort. First off, by helping me narrow this down to five Auras (like other Aura Packs), so plz pick your faves, and I'll be keeping score! Not only from the ten below: feel free to contribute with your own suggestions. Weigh in, sound off. Post pics, descriptions, refs, anything - give it life, folks! :D I'll update the OP with these new ideas, as well as any notes/observations, suggestion, any sort of input that's positive and productive to the purposes of the thread, is more than welcome!

Let's talk it out, exchange thoughts and ideas. What we, as a community, would like to see - and that'll be our top 5, which will then be added onto the OP as our "official" suggestion. :)

A couple notes:

The art: it's not important. I do it because that's my approach to this kinda thing, I find that it helps me and that I'd maybe suck at just trying to describe it (though I still try) :P. It's not any more or less valuable than other suggestions cuz it's got a pic attached. It's just concept art (and in this case, kinda rushed and half-a...sloppy), so as long as it gives the general idea. On that note: i.e, you like #6's idea, but different from what's represented there, you think it'd be cooler if those rings emanated from the head out (more like #7, 8 and 9), not to muck up the face, etc, anything of that nature - thumbs up, I hear you and that'll be added under notes/observations.

The icons/names, likewise, not to be taken too seriously. Might as well have been numbers. Just a lil something familiar to sort of brand them from a concept pov & to help demonstrate the combos. VERY aware of how lousy these monickers sound. Again, all in silly, good fun. :D

To business: (click images for higher-res)

Psi Aura Pack

PsiAuraPack.jpg

1)- The Cerebro:
Overall shapes suggesting a brain's pattern, psi-energy streams arcing towards the back of the head beautifully. Think: Emma Frost in "Wolverine and the X-Men". Menton. Intellectual & Masterminds.

Notes/Observations:
* More arcs - suggested by @theravenforce.

2)- The Crown:
Not literally one, more of a frontal psi manifestation with the lines swirling & energy flowing that way suggesting a crown/tiara/other sort of head accessory, nonetheless very sort of regal, beautiful but no less powerful, delicate but still imposing, presence & finesse over brute force... & all of that.

3)- The Mask:
If it might resemble/reference to Psylocke's trademark butterfly avatar, which is why I was on the fence about it - but figured that might get suggested anyhow - so there it is. I am, however, pitching it as an irradiating mask, instead. Pulsing, flowing, burning with psi energy with a little particle action going on the edges there, akin to Fire Eye's Aura effect. What's more iconic to a hero than a mask, and it's that sorta "coming to life", speaks to a hero's very identity manifested when they flare up psionics. I chose a Slanted-shaped mask, taking a look through all types this seemed the most representative, cover-all-grounds style, but it could've have been any, really.

4)- The Ego Leech:
I love the in-game effect - thinking psi auras/powers, quite frankly most if not all of them could use some of that "forehead glow" effect. PSI Hypnotists (NPC villains) have something similar on all the time, too, and I'm jealous. :P So it's referencing to that effect, pulsing, maybe a little of that cool ripple FX added, maybe spiraling very slowly, some particles as well... <3. Gimme!

Alongside #5(Eye), this is a "wildcard" Aura, serves-all-purposes FX, it can be used alone or to compliment other Auras, no fear of going wrong. Also about this more versatile "category": in-to-out of combat or even for RP'ing purposes - you may start subtle with this, and evolve to a different Aura or a combo, really, your imagination's the limit. Initially, I had five Auras locked down but these two (#4 and #5, Leech and Eye) were combined - and then I thought best not to "force" one onto the other, as small or subtle as they might seem - more versatile this way. Next thing I knew I was rounding this up to ten. More than I had signed for. But, it's all good. :P

5)- The Glowy Eyes:
So we have Fire Eyes already and that can be argued, but I absolutely felt this should be in. Been into old movies lately, got to see John Carpenter's "Village of the Damned" and I was obsessed, it just sealed the deal for me. What's with horror movies and children that makes them, just bad news? Creepy children in a corn field, the ghost of creepy little children, creepy children with bowl cuts, they all be very creepy, period. But particularly creepier when they're actually aliens using psychic powers manifested via creepy glowing eyes to make you jump off a roof holding a broom to your chest impaling yourself onto a truck - that's how evil they are.

Fire Eyes and this: different enough to justify it, IMO. But I'm also very biased. I can't actually be trusted right now, as I'm typing this under their creepy PSI influence, after which I'm to stab myself in the eye, repeatedly, with this nail filer lying next to the keyboard. EVIL, I tell you!!! :P

6)- The Hypnotist:
Another one that's kind of iconic, and pretty straightforward: slow, hypnotic (or disorienting?) rings pulsing from the character's head. Think: Alien Crystal's FX, Shadow of Doubt. Hypnotism, vertigo, confusion, mind-influence at large, sonic waves. Option for these rings to emanate from the head out, and maybe better representative of an Aura (as opposed to a power), so, as said before, whatd'ya think, lemme know, and that kind of input will be gladly added onto the OP.:)

7)- The Sixth Sense:
Alert, alert! (not *that* kind of Alerts :D). Think Spiderman's *tingling* Spider-sense, precognition, enhanced senses, evasive maneuvers, etc -characters that can (fore)see it coming and dodge it like a bawz. Would fit a hundred character concepts, me thinks - but also interesting to watch how it sort of takes a different vibe in a combo. Again, it's thinking customization possibilities.

8)- The Wobbly: (I know right...? xD)
Basically the overall look of Psionic Shield Aura, adapted to a head -generic/iconic Aura, but I'm thinking, more color & glow, maybe pulsing (some particles, as well?) in addition to its wobbly movement. Like #9 below, does its head-aura job without mucking up the face or head much.

I believe the perfect Aura for this "category", would be a happy medium between this and #9 below, if you know what I mean and if I'm making any sense.

9)- The Generic Yet Iconic: (aka The Aura of Arcane Clarity Knock-Off)
(To clarify: by "generic" I mean non-specific in way that would limit concept: it's a good thing).

Seen many players use this Aura to represent psionics in-game, it does the job well and looks cool. I'd suggest a minor tweak more tailored toward psi: away with the arcane symbols, added dots/particles or even wispy Ego Sprites, something a lil more familiar and that's visually cohesive with the Telepathy set, to that function. Plus: what was said above about a happy medium between these two, I stand by that, I think something really cool-looking could be worked out off that idea.

10)- The Horrific Visage:
Bear with me w/ the drawing there, I was not feeling it, lol, this one, like the mask, sixth sense and others that were not in the plans and I was like, meh... whatever. If that doesn't look scary to you, just ridiculous maybe even funny-looking on top of sloppy and badly-drawn: working as expected. :P

General idea, right? And really the concept/idea which is what matters, I think is interesting and might serve a number of character concepts: illusionists mainly, who use their powers to instill fear, or maybe that's the psi's true nature showing, or is it a link to a supernatural entity that gives them power... etc. What's frightening, how and to whom - that can be tricky to sorta pinpoint. I think that, just the iconic "fear" skull image (like in the small icon) would do a good job in representing this Aura, maybe pulsing forward from the face, floaty scary head, whatever.

I went (sorta, kinda) for a Summon Nightmare creature look there (cuz, concept), but, being a static image and all, I'm not sure it conveys the idea very well. Again, it really could be anything - zombie, demon, skeleton... - or even a morphing animation between various frightening faces could be this Aura's thing. In the combo demonstration below, I did a sans-horn (more like The Stalker) creature version, just because , and I kinda like it better (though that might be the creepy glowy eyes).

A few possible combinations:

PsiAuraPackCombos.jpg

My personal favorites atm: #1, #2 ("Cerebro & Crown"), though I also like #6 ("Hypnotist") a lot. The two "wildcards" #4 & #5 ("Leech & Eyes"). And either #8 or #9 ("Wobbly"/"Generic") for the all-around-the-head, iconic sorta Aura in that "category", or a medium between the two.

Hope ya'll like this suggestion. And again, please weigh in! Let's get to that top 5!!! :wink:

PS: Also, check out this Animal Auras suggestion thread, if you havent already!:) #prettydope
Post edited by spordelia on

Comments

• spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    *saved space* (just in case) :P.
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have never played a psychic character, but this idea gets all the win for the internet today!!
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You should join their art team. I want all of these!
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is all pretty amazing. It ought to be made into auras.
    edited March 2014
    Thank You guys for the nice comments and support!!! :smile::wink:
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Dude, you're way too good at this concept art thing.

Ego leech aura would be so perfect for my 3-eyed psion character.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I logged in just to bump this, because every concept art thread you make is pure gold, and of course I want this, and of course they are all amazing ideas. Kuddos. Wish I had that kind of talent for stuff.

Cryptic North. You want money, we want these (among other stuff, of course). They're not especially hard to create. And I'm sure that they would sell 10 times better than the tune up kits...

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • orrynnorrynn Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I love everything you have come up with. I just wish they would add all you ideas already. I would buy them the second they came out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • randomchance4242randomchance4242 Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Signed with the force of a million exploding suns. I love all of these designs.

Cryptic, I haven't really grabbed many of the new auras because of the whole one character only deal and my 30-plus character alt-itis. But if these were to come out, they would be a day one purchase. You want money. We want to give you money. Help us help you.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There is not a word in the English Language which can explain how much I want these all!

/SIGNED so hard the screen has literally cracked! :biggrin:

As regards the choices:

As you KNOW, 1 is a massive YES for me, I am especially loving:

- "The Cerebro" <-- the most since I think of this manifestation when thinking of my character's telepathic power (albeit with more arcs :3)

- "The Crown"

- "The Ego Leech"

- "The Hypnotist"

- "Glowy Eyes"
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    /signed +1

Those are all great!
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • bindingchainsbindingchains Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I love them all, just like all the costume ideas you have posted before!

Just not much into the last one, but with so many "dark themed" heroes running around, Im sure many will find a good use of it. :D
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Friendly bump!

Also Spordelia!!! Submit your amazing designs for the new contest!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Link Here
    edited April 2014
    Friendly bump!

Also Spordelia!!! Submit your amazing designs for the new contest!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Link Here

Thanks, Raven!!! X

And yes, figured I might rez a couple of those (now, very defunct) costume suggestions, lol. Who knows, right? :D #recycling

Speaking of which: 100% loved your suggestion (more arcs for #1's Aura), so I'm totally taking that idea for one of the entries. :P (I was thinking, a maximum of 5 though, focus on the central 3 not to become a cluster-something), so 3-5 arcs, with a dash of #2's idea/concept, basically. Hope you like it! :wink::smile:

Oh, almost forgot:

VivaPsi_zpsa2b0271c.gif :P
  • tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    spordelia wrote: »
    Thank You guys for the nice comments and support!!! :smile::wink:

Hey since there is a contest for costumes, what are you going to enter?
  • beautfldssonancebeautfldssonance Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I really like all of these. I want the Hyponist one for my telekinetic character, even though the name of it is Hypnotist. I think there should be a scary psionic claws aura and scary psionic wings aura to go with the face one though, then I would definitely use those to make someone who is possessed, but even just the face one would actually be kind of cool.

"There is a point beyond which there is no return. That point must be reached." - Kafka

[sigpic][/sigpic]
    edited May 2014
    I really like all of these. I want the Hyponist one for my telekinetic character, even though the name of it is Hypnotist. I think there should be a scary psionic claws aura and scary psionic wings aura to go with the face one though, then I would definitely use those to make someone who is possessed, but even just the face one would actually be kind of cool.
    TY, glad you like'em! And don't worry about the names (i.e "Hypnotist"), they're not to be taken too seriously anyways. :biggrin:

So. Pulled a few in-game SFX mentioned in the OP, referencing the suggested Auras. They are:
    coPsiAuras_zps0a72e4fe.gif

- PSI dude's Aura: Got a bit of #4's Ego Leech concept/idea to it, but I'm really feeling #2 Crown, could be worked off this one. I kinda love it...!
    - Ego Leech: To, well, #4's Ego Leech. Got the ripples. I die for the in-game animation/FX. <3
    - Aura of Arcane Clarity: To #9 in the OP.
    - Shadow of Doubt: #6 (The Hypnotist), sorta kinda.
    - Crippling Challenges: #7 (The Sixth Sense), in a way.

Plus: I really like Raven's suggestion for #1 Cerebro (more arcs), mixed with a couple of these other ideas, went into one of my entries for the Design a Costume contest - view it here. <3

What do you guys think? Let's hear it!!! :wink:

*Updated the OP with Raven's suggestion (THXS!^^).
    Have been keeping score of your favorites so far. Please keep weighing in! :smile:
  • rior88rior88 Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Gonna Necro this abit just to say this would be AWESOME to have ingame keep up with the creative thinking ;)
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I find this Thread still Relevant
    Well since you Bumped it, I may as well post the thing I wanted to ask
    spordelia wrote: »
    To business: (click images for higher-res)

Psi Aura Pack

PsiAuraPack.jpg

10)- The Horrific Visage:
    Bear with me w/ the drawing there, I was not feeling it, lol, this one, like the mask, sixth sense and others that were not in the plans and I was like, meh... whatever. If that doesn't look scary to you, just ridiculous maybe even funny-looking on top of sloppy and badly-drawn: working as expected. :P

General idea, right? And really the concept/idea which is what matters, I think is interesting and might serve a number of character concepts: illusionists mainly, who use their powers to instill fear, or maybe that's the psi's true nature showing, or is it a link to a supernatural entity that gives them power... etc. What's frightening, how and to whom - that can be tricky to sorta pinpoint. I think that, just the iconic "fear" skull image (like in the small icon) would do a good job in representing this Aura, maybe pulsing forward from the face, floaty scary head, whatever.

I went (sorta, kinda) for a Summon Nightmare creature look there (cuz, concept), but, being a static image and all, I'm not sure it conveys the idea very well. Again, it really could be anything - zombie, demon, skeleton... - or even a morphing animation between various frightening faces could be this Aura's thing. In the combo demonstration below, I did a sans-horn (more like The Stalker) creature version, just because , and I kinda like it better (though that might be the creepy glowy eyes).

I'm Curious about The Horrific Visage
    I don't know if this was intentional Design or Influence as well, but it looks moke like the Face of a Japanese Demon/Oni, which is pretty awesome I may add that would bring a lot of new character Design :biggrin:

All those auras are pretty, I would love to see them ingame~
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Signed signed signed annnnnnnnd signed.

I've never signed something so hard before. :tongue:

Out of all seriousness.. i absolutely love ALL of your designs spordelia.. in fact ive actually become quite fond of your artstyle.

Now if only cryptic would hire you to make some art for new content...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Great idea, nice art and /signed
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Fully supported.

Recoloring Aura Of Arcane Clarity can only work just so many times before turning repetetive.
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    /Signed like I've never /signed before.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited August 2014
    Thanks!!! ^^
    avianos wrote: »
    I'm Curious about The Horrific Visage
    I don't know if this was intentional Design or Influence as well, but it looks moke like the Face of a Japanese Demon/Oni, which is pretty awesome I may add that would bring a lot of new character Design :biggrin:

Yeah, it was mostly inspired/designed after Telepathy's Summon Nightmare critters; but I love that about the Japanese Demon/Oni! That's very cool & interesting... :smile:

(- My apologies for the delayed response)
    And TY all again for the continued support! :wink:
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    literally the only one I'm not sure of, because overlaying our faces is a bit dangerous to that degree, is the visage one. Seems we already got the glow eyes, the rest of it? Hell yeah. I'd buy all of em. I couldn't even vote, they're all cool.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine