What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Level cap.

2»

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lestylo wrote: »
    True but that's the way it goes sometimes. I still think a Foundry (unlikely I know) would fix some issues there. Slapping a decent foundry on things and fixing up pvp would go a long way and something they should attempt before increasing any kind of difficulty.

They did attempt it, it was a no go.
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    They did attempt it, it was a no go.

Why? As for the foundry, they keep saying it can't be done but they said the same thing about vehicles so yeah....

Actually, it would fix the problem of the game losing players because those players find the entire game to be too easy.

Well, the question then becomes, are there more people who find the game too easy and want to leave, or are there more people who are okay with the difficulty and will leave if they increase it? I'll be honest, we can only speculate. But based on seeing other games and how they fare with such things, people tend to be a little dishonest with themselves about what sort of difficulty they want.

Here's a tip, anytime you're using the phrase "across the board", you've lost the plot. There's no reason why anything has to, or would be, done to the entire game. It's bizarre that anyone would think that to be the case in a game that's so heavily themed towards customization.

We're speaking in such general terms so it's a given. Certainly, they don't have to increase difficulty across the whole game, but without specifics, the discussion tends to trend that way. Harder mobs while somewhat specific, is still pretty general since that is most of the game as far as enemies go. The funny part is, while I would like those changes, I still feel like such would make some people leave.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Why? As for the foundry, they keep saying it can't be done but they said the same thing about vehicles so yeah....

They've never, ever said the Foundry can't be done. In fact their exact words was that the Foundry is ready for Champions, however, Champions is not ready for the Foundry because they would have to go through all the art assets and retag them not to mention creating newer maps and assets specifically for the Foundry.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2014
    They've never, ever said the Foundry can't be done. In fact their exact words was that the Foundry is ready for Champions, however, Champions is not ready for the Foundry because they would have to go through all the art assets and retag them not to mention creating newer maps and assets specifically for the Foundry.

That's what I meant. They aren't in the position to make the thing happen though it could happen.
  • gemini2099gemini2099 Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am with the others.

Most NPC's at 40 are pushovers.
    Gemini - Lvl 4x - Soldier
    Omicron - Lvl 4x - Mind
    Emerald Myst - Lvl 2x - Claws/Fighting Hybrid
    Epsilon - Lvl 2x - Blade
    Asterius - Lvl 1x - Electric/Void Hybrid

• gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It is not possible to please everybody.
    One issue that level cap could address is the difference in gear. You have lvl 40 in greens, blues, mercenaries, heroic, legion and then justice.

Episodic content like AP,CS and Lairs has been relegated to Q and few costume farming.

There is no reason to run them gearwise.

There is no clear or reasonable progression at level cap(not talking necessarily in terms of gear). If all endgame content is expected to be in the same level in a progression line then you can't have challenge since you need to design it for lvl 40s in greens so they will have a fair chance to succeed.

Recent content favors having high stats people over teamwork, the meatshild, the rezer and the insane dps, it is not surprise that halfteams of uber characters can succeed in most boss encounters when they are not actually soloing it.

CoX preincarnate mode was moreless based on no endgame progression and full multiple alt lvling. However, CoX leveling was by far slower than CO and they didn't have freeform. Still, CoX got enough content to keep people busy at least casually.

The other version is probably wow like with dungeon progression which I particularly favored, not because I adored it, because I think current CO can't sustain CoX pre incarnate style.

Before making more content or raising lvl cap Cryptic needs to decide what they want CO to be and stick with that decision.
    edited July 2014

They said it about ground vehicles, and it remains true. And yes, the fact that they have said "Not possible" about things and then the thing ends up being possible (Change Character button) is basically the reason that players will now forever think every single thing under the sun is possible.

Foundry, for all our attempts to point at vehicles and change character buttons... is a no go. I WOULD LOVE TO BE PROVEN WRONG ON THIS... not by you with a long forum post, but by the foundry actually showing up in game: the only counter argument I will ever accept on that issue.
    Well, the question then becomes, are there more people who find the game too easy and want to leave, or are there more people who are okay with the difficulty and will leave if they increase it? I'll be honest, we can only speculate. But based on seeing other games and how they fare with such things, people tend to be a little dishonest with themselves about what sort of difficulty they want.

No... why does that become the question? The answer to that question is irrelevant. There are SOME players who want more challenge and SOME players who want less. The precise amounts don't matter, you know why? I already mentioned it: They don't have to make the entire game more difficult. They can just make some parts more challenging; though preferably more than just like.... 1 alert, or something dumb like that that barely amounts to lip service.

I have yet to see a compelling argument from anyone for why they would need to make the ENTIRE game more or less anything.
    We're speaking in such general terms so it's a given. Certainly, they don't have to increase difficulty across the whole game, but without specifics, the discussion tends to trend that way. Harder mobs while somewhat specific, is still pretty general since that is most of the game as far as enemies go. The funny part is, while I would like those changes, I still feel like such would make some people leave.

We don't need to discuss the specific mobs that would have their difficulty increased.. in fact, that would be a waste of time since ultimately the decision isn't going to come from some forum discussion - that decision will be made over at the office where the guys developing this game work.. Sure we can talk about this group or that group... but really it doesn't matter, just as long as it's SOME group... I'm sure some people would like to see DEMON become super powerful, and others would hate that idea. It's enough if you understand that the notion of "increasing the difficulty of the entire game" is unrealistic, and stop talking about it as if it's an actual thing.

If players leave the game because they were given more options, then those players are actively avoiding being pleased and should not be considered. Don't worry, they'll quickly be replaced by players who will come back because they want to be pleased and will react in a reasonable fashion.
    edited July 2014
    They said it about ground vehicles, and it remains true. And yes, the fact that they have said "Not possible" about things and then the thing ends up being possible (Change Character button) is basically the reason that players will now forever think every single thing under the sun is possible.

No, when vehicles was first mentioned, they more or less said no to the whole idea. People fussed at them and suddenly we had vehicles. Okay, in reality, at first they said no, then people fussed at them, then they said maybe but it would depend on this and that, then suddenly we had vehicles. There was a satanic blood ritual somewhere in all of that but you get the picture. But indeed, they did explain the logistic problems with ground vehicles many times but originally were against the idea of vehicles in general. But in the end, I guess it's no big deal but it does show that cryptic likes to do things [horrible yet intended pun in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1]...cryptically.

Foundry, for all our attempts to point at vehicles and change character buttons... is a no go. I WOULD LOVE TO BE PROVEN WRONG ON THIS... not by you with a long forum post, but by the foundry actually showing up in game: the only counter argument I will ever accept on that issue.

I don't think the idea of a foundry is completely dead in the water. I'm not holding my breath but I would not be surprised to see it show up at some point with Cryptic not telling us anything until it is here. In many ways, given how toxic the community is, it would work in their favor not to say anything anyways. I don't see the harm in that outlook on things anyways. If it happens, good. If it never does, oh well.

No... why does that become the question? The answer to that question is irrelevant. There are SOME players who want more challenge and SOME players who want less. The precise amounts don't matter, you know why? I already mentioned it: They don't have to make the entire game more difficult. They can just make some parts more challenging; though preferably more than just like.... 1 alert, or something dumb like that that barely amounts to lip service.

People view games in general terms. It's evident in how they talk about games as well. Yes there are things they appreciate while there are things they dislike but they still view things with an overall general view. This is what I am referring to. In any case, the question refers to people who view a game as "easy" or "hard". Not everyone thinks "this or that game has bosses that don't hit very hard but utilize adequate CC until level 25 where the bosses utilize heals and so forth and so forth and the mobs do......." How hard/difficult/challenging a game is in totality is a perception issue. Certain things can lend to that perception more than others. This is why I mentioned Wizardry Online. Some parts aren't hard but others are. The whole game gives the impression that is is hard to some when it really isn't. Dark Souls is another example of that (2 was a piss easy though).

I have yet to see a compelling argument from anyone for why they would need to make the ENTIRE game more or less anything.

No one is saying that for the most part. People for the most part are speaking in general terms about that. That said, it's a perception issue. making certain aspects of the game can give the illusion or or perception or idea that the "whole game" is hard or got harder without being entirely true. The person I responded to was talking about rampages, mobs, and other aspects of the game and wanting to beef them, so I responded, keeping it general since he hit on so many different points at one time and, despite the details, I still felt as if there was some generalities being tossed around, which is fair. His was a nice and thorough post but I didn't feel like making a stretched out post like this one or others I am prone to.

We don't need to discuss the specific mobs that would have their difficulty increased.. in fact, that would be a waste of time since ultimately the decision isn't going to come from some forum discussion - that decision will be made over at the office where the guys developing this game work..

A lot of discussions would count as pointless then but we still have these discussions. I didn't realize there was something wrong with having such discussions on a forum of all places or that it was a crime. :confused:

Sure we can talk about this group or that group... but really it doesn't matter, just as long as it's SOME group... I'm sure some people would like to see DEMON become super powerful, and others would hate that idea. It's enough if you understand that the notion of "increasing the difficulty of the entire game" is unrealistic, and stop talking about it as if it's an actual thing.

And I made it clear I was speaking in general terms since conversations like this tend to trend towards that and some people in this thread were doing so and pretty much in the history of these discussions that's how people sometimes speak concerning this subject and the person I responded to hit on so any points I didn't feel like writing an essay to something that while I agreed with, had reservations on. They say things like "this game's too easy" or "this game's too hard" or "making the game more challenging will bring more people in" and so forth. I don't fault people for speaking like this. I understand that they have specifics in mind but don't feel like spelling them out in utter detail and when they do, they are still being general about what they mean (unless they are throwing numbers around).

I understand the end result of every thread on here is to be bogged down by some pointless issue (goodness knows I've played a part or two in one) but my word lol.

If players leave the game because they were given more options, then those players are actively avoiding being pleased and should not be considered. Don't worry, they'll quickly be replaced by players who will come back because they want to be pleased and will react in a reasonable fashion.

But how do you know this? How many are there that will come back? Since we can't speak in general terms apparently, what sort of things would bring these people back? Will there ever be an end to my incessant questions? Am I simply asking questions to be cheeky? Is such the height of amusement? Tune in next week for these answers and more on "As the board turns". :eek:
  • gemini2099gemini2099 Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gandales wrote: »
    It is not possible to please everybody.
    One issue that level cap could address is the difference in gear. You have lvl 40 in greens, blues, mercenaries, heroic, legion and then justice.

Episodic content like AP,CS and Lairs has been relegated to Q and few costume farming.

There is no reason to run them gearwise.

There is no clear or reasonable progression at level cap(not talking necessarily in terms of gear). If all endgame content is expected to be in the same level in a progression line then you can't have challenge since you need to design it for lvl 40s in greens so they will have a fair chance to succeed.

Recent content favors having high stats people over teamwork, the meatshild, the rezer and the insane dps, it is not surprise that halfteams of uber characters can succeed in most boss encounters when they are not actually soloing it.

CoX preincarnate mode was moreless based on no endgame progression and full multiple alt lvling. However, CoX leveling was by far slower than CO and they didn't have freeform. Still, CoX got enough content to keep people busy at least casually.

The other version is probably wow like with dungeon progression which I particularly favored, not because I adored it, because I think current CO can't sustain CoX pre incarnate style.

Before making more content or raising lvl cap Cryptic needs to decide what they want CO to be and stick with that decision.

Champions Online doesn't really need an increase in level cap or more gear progression. NPC's at level cap need to be upgraded versions found under 40.
    Gemini - Lvl 4x - Soldier
    Omicron - Lvl 4x - Mind
    Emerald Myst - Lvl 2x - Claws/Fighting Hybrid
    Epsilon - Lvl 2x - Blade
    Asterius - Lvl 1x - Electric/Void Hybrid

edited July 2014
    Players will come back if they see that the devs are adding more content that requires players to do more than just stand in one spot and spam 1 damage power and 1 healing power the entire time/hit an aoe power one or two times to drop an entire group. I know I would start playing for more than 15 minutes once a week if they started doing that.

Specific enough?
    edited July 2014
    gemini2099 wrote: »
    Champions Online doesn't really need an increase in level cap or more gear progression. NPC's at level cap need to be upgraded versions found under 40.

Which other mmorpg game has avoided end game progression?

Our current main competition which is basically leaving CO behind, uses a kind of gear progression for endgame. Almost every mmo uses it, so it must mean something.

We could always say, we like the game the way it is now as extreme niche game and we don't care for increasing its population. However, we should admit that the current recipe is not working too well.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I recently uninstalled DCUO due to boredom. Yes got character to level cap, ok what do i do now.
    These missions each day to get gear.
    Day 1, did all.
    day 2, did all
    day 3, did some of them
    day 4, did a few of them.
    day 5, played a different character

got bored with the levelling missions and uninstalled.

what it means is that is what people expect after Pandaland, there are still a lot of people who don't like it.
    It also has a minor(or major) side effect of collecting elitist jerks.
    "Your gear is crap, get better gear first"
    "why don't you know the Boss fights"
    "why do you have those powers, they're useless"
    Yes we need activities to do at level 40 but please, NOT gear grind. Unless it can be done without having to spam the same thing over and over.. hmm just like Rampages.
    So how many people are queuing Rampages now?
    Unfortunately with our limited possibilities due to Devs, we also have limited possibilities.
    anyone got a spare million dollars or more?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited July 2014
    Which other mmorpg game has avoided end game progression?

Our current main competition which is basically leaving CO behind, uses a kind of gear progression for endgame. Almost every mmo uses it, so it must mean something.

We could always say, we like the game the way it is now as extreme niche game and we don't care for increasing its population. However, we should admit that the current recipe is not working too well.

Every game uses some variation of "do the same thing over and over to raise some number that indicates your progress".

The problem here isn't that we don't have enough ways to make the number go up, it's that the things we do to raise it are fairly bland (despite the fact that the framework for some pretty exciting action-packed activities is in place).
    edited July 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    I recently uninstalled DCUO due to boredom. Yes got character to level cap, ok what do i do now.
    These missions each day to get gear.
    Day 1, did all.
    day 2, did all
    day 3, did some of them
    day 4, did a few of them.
    day 5, played a different character

got bored with the levelling missions and uninstalled.

what it means is that is what people expect after Pandaland, there are still a lot of people who don't like it.
    It also has a minor(or major) side effect of collecting elitist jerks.
    "Your gear is crap, get better gear first"
    "why don't you know the Boss fights"
    "why do you have those powers, they're useless"
    Yes we need activities to do at level 40 but please, NOT gear grind. Unless it can be done without having to spam the same thing over and over.. hmm just like Rampages.
    So how many people are queuing Rampages now?
    Unfortunately with our limited possibilities due to Devs, we also have limited possibilities.
    anyone got a spare million dollars or more?

Again, Pandaland and dcuo have way more players than us. Which other game has gotten away with not having sort of endgame progression. CoX got away for a while but in the end they had to include its own version known as incarnates.

About possibilities, there are several lairs and minimisions that can be modified to create heroic versions of then like Wow does.

Is the current minimision+alert 2 or 3 times a year working for CO in terms of increasing CO's playerbase? If not Cryptic should rething their strategy.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    again, both of those games, get regular updates and lots of advertising
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited July 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    again, both of those games, get regular updates and lots of advertising

the chicken or the egg?

My question still stands, which other mmo without an structure endgame progression is doing well?

Maybe like an asian mmo which name for some reason is censored here, using its multiple rebirth feature.

The CO current mmorpg design has not been able to either attract or retain players at levels close to their competition and other Cryptic games. Should Cryptic keep doing the same thing expecting different results?
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My question still stands, which other mmo without an structure endgame progression is doing well?

GW2 ?

A lot of people are simply sick and tired of the whole raid-progression thing, especially since
    mostly only something about 5% of the playerbase are really raiding, while the rest just has
    to stand there and watch how "great" those players are and know that they will never get
    that stuff.

Lotro for example stated that recently :
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/07/03/turbine-raiders-make-up-the-smallest-player-group-in-lotro/#comments

Raiders comprise the smallest, by far, group in our game. PvMP players are far larger and even they are small. in fact together the two groups wouldn't comprise 10% of the total player base and never have (this is important. it's not a new thing, it's a long standing historical fact).

Forum posters comprise a slightly larger group than the combined group of PvMP and Raiders. However, Raiders and PvMP players make up the overwhelming majority of forum posters (More than half. Though raiders are the smaller group of the two (PvMP/Raiders)). So you have a tiny group, inside a small group that is grossly disproportionately represented on the forums.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's never going to happen.
    Pls, close thread.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Pls, close thread.

What was the last thing that was said to never going to happen? Oh yea vehicles.

Never say never about something. It may take time but anything can happen in an MMO.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    Maybe like an asian mmo which name for some reason is censored here, using its multiple rebirth feature.

Is.... is it possible that CO.. might be an asian mmo? o.o

20111214022557!Catgirl_1150.jpg
    yaaaaay :3
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I think CO is a dirtier place for a large part than an Asian MMO. <__<
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Pls, close thread.

God, please close this thread.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • newplayerguy7newplayerguy7 Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What was the last thing that was said to never going to happen? Oh yea vehicles.

Never say never about something. It may take time but anything can happen in an MMO.

It's all about the money....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiSHcHM0PA
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Sorry, even that's beyond my power.

:wink:
    edited July 2014
    beldin wrote: »
    GW2 ?

A lot of people are simply sick and tired of the whole raid-progression thing, especially since
    mostly only something about 5% of the playerbase are really raiding, while the rest just has
    to stand there and watch how "great" those players are and know that they will never get
    that stuff.

Lotro for example stated that recently :
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/07/03/turbine-raiders-make-up-the-smallest-player-group-in-lotro/#comments

GW2 offers many routes to achieve progression including crafting and pvp. Given the amount of things to do, it probably would be dificult for somebody into this game to get bored.

Lotro has a 24man raid.

That being said, endgame progression does not mean necesarily raid. You can have a nice progression of 5man instances that could lead to series of gear tiers, which in the end are cheap timesinks which is basically what a game with reduced budget needs.

I am not a raid fan either. I was in wow raid progression guild and they felt more like a chore than fun sometimes (other times were pretty fun and rewarding). However, I still think that some sort of increase difficulty scheme in the endgame lairs would be pretty benefitial for the game.

For instance, having

Tier 1 Project Awakeining, stronghold prison,DD Factory
    Tier 2 Teleios Tower, Burial Caves, Moreau Lab
    Tier 3 Viper Nest, Andrithal, Mandragalore
    Tier 4 Nemesis Confrontation, Therakiel Temple

Including AP, CS and special alert series could be possible but I just wanted to illustrate my point.

No sure why people want this thread locked, i think the discussion has been pretty civil so far. :biggrin:
    edited July 2014

That img would be a nice action figure :biggrin:
    edited July 2014

No. \( u 3 u )/ *magic cloud noises*

That img would be a nice action figure :biggrin:

I'd want it!
  • zenzenarimasenzenzenarimasen Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lvl 40 missions give XP.

You need better evidence than that because you can take a level 40 mission as early as 37...

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You need better evidence than that because you can take a level 40 mission as early as 37...
    -You can take lvl 40 missions that give XP at lvl 40.
    How much more evidence you need?

That img would be a nice action figure

comment_lTKnkybNMMFCkgmVmGGtlI59IkeWGYeU.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    themightyzenith thinks the wrong direction:

Instead of closing them, they should just combine them into one long thread and sticky it. And add any new ones that come along. CONTAINMENT! :cool:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Instead of closing them, they should just combine them into one long thread and sticky it. And add any new ones that come along. CONTAINMENT! :cool:

It's worked pretty well for the pvp forum.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine