test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry

beautfldssonancebeautfldssonance Posts: 53 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Suggestions Box
CO is based on a PnP game where people create their own scenarios, yet it seems to be the only major Cryptic game that doesn't have a foundry. Maybe there is some legit reason there isn't a foundry yet, but I don't see why there can't ever be one. I think it would bring in a lot more money and people to the game.

"There is a point beyond which there is no return. That point must be reached." - Kafka

[sigpic][/sigpic]
Post edited by beautfldssonance on

Comments

• Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This has been suggested so many times before it's crazy.

Don't expect it to ever happen, it would require an update of the engine and a lot of hard work. Also it could possibly end up causing lots of new bugs and exploits which may even kill the game.

The foundry in neverwinter was worked on a lot for the launch of the game however it has recently started to be worked on less and less. In fact I'm pretty sure they don't even see much money in it anymore other than something to attract new players. It doesn't even keep the majority of the playerbase playing anymore, that comes more from PvP and campaigns.
  • Options
    bobsy26bobsy26 Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This has been suggested so many times before it's crazy.

It's a good idea.
    Don't expect it to ever happen, it would require an update of the engine and a lot of hard work.

This. No. No. Not a reason, not a reason at all.

I'm SO sick and tired of people - players, no less - bring up the excuse against Foundry of it being hard. It's haaaaaaard! Yes, making video games IS hard. It always will be. That doesn't mean it's impossible, or a bad idea, or not worth the effort.

It was hard remaking all of Azeroth for WoW: Cataclysm. It was hard recording hundreds of hours of dialogue for SWTOR. It was very hard to make the Mission Architect for CoX. But these things were still done. And it's not just a money issue either. Money helps, but it's a relative help.

Foundry is haaaaaard, but it's also necessary for the continued survival and profitability of the game. You want to be playing Champions in another three years? You need Foundry to let the community build content for the game.
    Also it could possibly end up causing lots of new bugs and exploits which may even kill the game.

It's the job of the devs and testers to prevent this. It's haaaaard, but that's the job.
  • Options
    beautfldssonancebeautfldssonance Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bobsy26 wrote: »
    It's a good idea.

Foundry is haaaaaard, but it's also necessary for the continued survival and profitability of the game. You want to be playing Champions in another three years? You need Foundry to let the community build content for the game.

Exactly. I have lots of missions I've designed that I'm sure people would play and other people I've played with I'm sure could design great missions. I don't care about grinding for stuff, I just want to play fun battles against villains and not the same missions, Alerts, Nemesis arc etc. I don't want to design missions for Star Trek or Neverwinter either, I want villains in tights with super-science super-weapons, and vigilantes with dual guns doing backflips off the Empire State Building, and giant flying human tanks punching under mad scientists' jaws like "BAM! POW!" I get to level 40, and I can play Vibora Bay and hunt vampires and demons, which is fine and all, but not much for variety.

"There is a point beyond which there is no return. That point must be reached." - Kafka

[sigpic][/sigpic]
  • Options
    foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    A Foundry would require development Cryptic is not willing to do, and they have said so repeatedly (because obvious excuses are obvious).

The way things are, Cryptic is playing on CO's strength as the last MMO with real character customization, that's why we keep getting new costumes and auras. Other than that, accept the game as it is now, because other than the occasional alert, the content we have now is all we'll ever get.
  • Options
    bludskarrbludskarr Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    foxyperson wrote: »
    A Foundry would require development Cryptic is not willing to do, and they have said so repeatedly (because obvious excuses are obvious).

The way things are, Cryptic is playing on CO's strength as the last MMO with real character customization, that's why we keep getting new costumes and auras. Other than that, accept the game as it is now, because other than the occasional alert, the content we have now is all we'll ever get.

That is all true and also the most depressing thing I've read in years.

New effects for old powers

More EXP for Adventure Packs please.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    foxyperson wrote: »

I think you are confusing unwilling with unable. While I know it's easy to see things from our armchair positions as easy to implement and just take X from Y and done deal, there is a lot more that would go on under the hood, and as far as Champions goes, financially, things are just going to take longer until the player base gets stronger and more income comes in.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think you are confusing unwilling with unable. While I know it's easy to see things from our armchair positions as easy to implement and just take X from Y and done deal, there is a lot more that would go on under the hood, and as far as Champions goes, financially, things are just going to take longer until the player base gets stronger and more income comes in.

The fact that something as seemingly simple as 0-point cosmetic advantages are so hard to do on the backend that they discontinued them and developed the aura system to (mostly) replace the existing ones should be proof enough of this.

Adding to or replacing the visual effects of a power should be as simple as adding an entry to a database. Instead it requires copy-and-paste coding of a new power. The CO backend is a horrible mess that the devs can barely touch out of fear that it'll come crashing down on their heads like a ton of bricks.

Hopefully, those backend developer's that Cryptic is hiring are being paid to rewrite the CO backend into something remotely sensible.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• Options
    edited July 2014
    tdits wrote: »
    The fact that something as seemingly simple as 0-point cosmetic advantages are so hard to do on the backend that they discontinued them and developed the aura system to (mostly) replace the existing ones should be proof enough of this.

Adding to or replacing the visual effects of a power should be as simple as adding an entry to a database. Instead it requires copy-and-paste coding of a new power. The CO backend is a horrible mess that the devs can barely touch out of fear that it'll come crashing down on their heads like a ton of bricks.

Hopefully, those backend developer's that Cryptic is hiring are being paid to rewrite the CO backend into something remotely sensible.

I don't think that's proof of a mess other than proof the code is a mess, so much as they have to go in and recode the powers, which is something that would take time. I also don't think the aura system was made because 0 point advantages were so hard, but making a 0 point advantage took up unnecessary resources and dealing with said advantage was wonky at best with how it had to be coded into the system proper. The auras system fixes a lot of those issues and provides new ways to add things players want.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I dunno anymore. AFAIK Cryptic North is hiring back-end server people. That means either they're starting a new game, moving CO's servers to Seattle, or doing something that requires a server like a foundry.

The cost of living is less in the Seattle area than the bay area, so they may be able to do more with a lower budget since they can pay devs less. I've heard that devs are the most costly part of game development. Also Seattle prolly has some incentives for the tech sector, because last I checked they were still trying to build up tech companies up there. In either case, someone's making long-term plans for this game.

There's also still interest in the IP since the storium kickstarter did well.

Never say never with this game, IMHO. Just enjoy it for what it is though.
  • Options
    tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't think that's proof of a mess other than proof the code is a mess, so much as they have to go in and recode the powers, which is something that would take time. I also don't think the aura system was made because 0 point advantages were so hard, but making a 0 point advantage took up unnecessary resources and dealing with said advantage was wonky at best with how it had to be coded into the system proper. The auras system fixes a lot of those issues and provides new ways to add things players want.

That's what I was proving though, that the code was not only a mess, but that it was such a mess that adding aura's was easier than fixing said mess. Messy code in one part of the codebase usually indicates that the rest of the code is going to be messy.

But you're right, removing the 0-point cosmetic advantages was probably a side effect of the auras, and not a cause.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• Options
    edited July 2014
    tdits wrote: »
    That's what I was proving though, that the code was not only a mess, but that it was such a mess that adding aura's was easier than fixing said mess. Messy code in one part of the codebase usually indicates that the rest of the code is going to be messy.

But you're right, removing the 0-point cosmetic advantages was probably a side effect of the auras, and not a cause.

I don't think you are getting what I am saying. Choosing something that is easier and better over all does not prove it's a mess. Quite the opposite really, especially since 0 point advantages only serve the power they are attached to, while auras can serve the player and thus the character in all manners of game play. It's coming up with a smarter solution than creating a 0 point advantage for every possible power combination.

In short, your trying to fit a square peg into your round hole view point.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    this. I don't think the foundry will happen in the immediate future for this game, but I think its got a very high chance to happen further down the line.

I hope Cryptic North has something cooked in the meantime so there will still be people playing to enjoy if/when foundry arrives:smile:
  • Options
    lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    this. I don't think the foundry will happen in the immediate future for this game, but I think its got a very high chance to happen further down the line.

I was thinking this too. They may be slowly but surely working on it. Announcing it would put pressure on them to release it according to some time table and make people fuss at them for this and that (hell, I know I've done my fair share of this). It honestly would work in their favor to not mention it while working on it, assuming they are indeed doing anything about it cryptically or otherwise.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."