test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Level cap.

flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
They are planning to raise it. Since lvl 40 missions give XP.
CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
And playing by myself since Aug 2009
Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Seems legit.

However if this was serious there would be two options as to what it would mean.

They may want to do what NW did which is to allow people to keep getting extra bonus "levels" on top that give prizes each time you gain one of the bonus levels. It also allows people to compare their overall XP gained on a single toon to compete.

If they were actually to do a level cap raise it will be purely due to them believing that the state of power balance and other stuff is in such a bad position that they'd need to totally re balance it for an entirely new level. This would take a lot of work and would pretty much be the biggest addition to the game since launch seeing as they would have to totally redo a lot of the old content to be able to still be played at the new max level so there isn't a lack of content. It would pretty much be like a "second release of the game" as too be honest it would have to be the biggest update the game has ever gotten. in other words we aren't likely to see this.
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Imho, level cap or alternate leveling systems. The first one needs a lot of development and if people expect to level similarly to the 1-40 it won't last for long. Alternate leveling paths are in the same part, given the speed of CO lvling , unless this new path is a lot of slower than the current one.

I know many people here are against lair/gear progression, but from I have seen in other games, those are that tend to push players longer for development buck. Good carrot on stick. See rampages, they have been for months and even that the only new thing was fire and ice that is a less than 10 min encounter.

I think the best results for the game would be from smarter time sinks and carrot on a stick approach.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It has always been that way. If they are planning a level cap increase, it has been in the planning stages for a long time, or maybe they were planning it in the past and now dropped the plans?
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »

If this is the case then I wonder if certain pieces of gear will be "auto-levelled" to the next max cap...or maybe we'll have:

[Cosmic Gear] - Gear infused with the spirit of 200 Cosmic Keys!

Requires: 20 Drifter Salvage, Three pieces of account bound Justice Gear and 10 cosmic keys per piece.

:wink:

But in all seriousness it would be irritating if they did introduce something like the aforementioned.

I understand the process of a power/gear creep but I'd be disappointed if it did go that way. I'd rather have our gear (Justice/Legion/Heroic) level with us if this was the case.

Only time will tell, they could just as well be granting XP which counts towards an XP gift we can give to our new characters...

Whatever happens it'll be interesting to see what happens.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Only time will tell, they could just as well be granting XP which counts towards an XP gift we can give to our new characters...

Whatever happens it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Many of us will have 120+ lvl 40s and dozens of free Character Slots. I'd bet.
  • highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, you can consider that level 40 missions gave XP for the past.. 4 years now ? Soyup. Aside from that, it could be nice to be able to do something with all that xp we're getting. XP to keys anyone ? Say.. every week, if you gain this or that amount of xp before the end of the week, you gain a key (only one per account)! That sure would get vibora bay crowded again.

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'd prefer that once you get to level 40, what ever "XP" is gained is converted and added to resources. So instead of getting +300 XP and +23 resources for killing an enemy at level 40, you'd instead get +323 resources. Same goes mission rewards, and frankly it'd make a good reason to run missions again.

As for the level cap. I already know what additional powers and specs I'd pick up if the cap was raised to 50 for most of my characters. It might be a bit crazy what would result. The only way I see this working though would be if a new Zone was released with it, with enemies from levels 41 to 55.
  • shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited July 2014

An alternate level advancement system maybe. But we already have spec trees.

The game originally was planned to have 50 as its level cap. That's probably why Lv40 missions give XP, not to mention that Lv40 missions can be taken by Lv37 characters. But stuff happened and the cap became 40. Opening it to 50 with the same advancement (more powers and advantages) would require a massive power rebalance to narrow player power range. Otherwise it'll be even harder to make content for those higher character levels. It's something the game needs regardless of a level increase, but it's a very difficult thing to do. I'd wager it'd be a lot easier to get the Foundry working for CO than to meaningfully rebalance all the powers in the game (both PC and NPC). And then there's the gear issue. Back in the Free For All days (~2011), someone did the math and the uber Lv40 purple gear of the time were the equivalent of Lv60 white gear. The stuff now is even more powerful. So gear quality would probably need to be retouched as well (anyone remember yellow quality gear?).
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!
  • highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well.. they did try to limit G production recently.. that's why I thought that they wouldn't want of a XP to resource thing. Aside from that, 2G a mission seems.. okay, I guess. I still think Cryptic wouldn't want it. Devaluating G is something they finally identified as bad.
    Well.. then same goes for my suggestions. It's hard to find something that works.. Turning XP into currency doesn't seem to be the good thing to do. I guess having XP perks with exclusive costume pi

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Can't you take missions that are 4 levels above your own?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well here's a bit of facts; they've always had a plan to raise the level cap.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Can't you take missions that are 4 levels above your own?

We have a winner! Nice logic.

---

On a sidenote, why is Vibora Bay a lvl 39~ish area, unlike Monster island? Shouldn't all the mobs be lvl 40+? I always disliked Vibora bay, because of the weird lvl structure. Isn't it supposed to be the "latest" zone we have gotten? Strange...
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I can't believe this thread went anywhere beyond a response of "Level 40 missions have always given XP".

CO, why you so ez? :|

PS - Did I see people randomly start arguing about gear? ...on the first page???? o_O
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    aiqa wrote: »
    It has always been that way. If they are planning a level cap increase, it has been in the planning stages for a long time, or maybe they were planning it in the past and now dropped the plans?

This. The question now is, is it still a probable reality?

I'd say... no. There's nothing to show me that they presently have the resources or herewith to act on these archaic plans.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I remember a dev saying in forumites that the game has the "hooks" for a beyond 40 level cap I cant for the life of me remember the dev* :I I bet you 5 bucks Bob knows :P

Bob knows everything.

* we go through so many these days :P
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • ebonanubis88ebonanubis88 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I might be on board with it. Most of the time I find myself doing alerts more than missions. Not that alerts are bad its just that some people don't have alot of moral, so if they die a few times they up and leave. Plus it does seem like you get teamed up with others higher or at lower levels than you are. So I kinda enjoy doing missions to get experience, more opportunities to get enthralled with the world and the stories. Plus with more levels this could mean more powers. Often times it just looks like a waste having those empty slots at the bottom of the screen.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Often times it just looks like a waste having those empty slots at the bottom of the screen.

Yes. Because having 14 powers isn't never going to be enough.
    edited July 2014
    Yes. Because having 14 powers isn't never going to be enough.

Considering how many people whined and cried in beta they can't use all their powers at the same time... And how many people have concepts around characters with different forms builds and such.... no.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Spec Trees should've been a post-40 system :x

Like, at 40, you level your primary stat tree first, then pick a role tree. And you gotta earn XP to put points into them. Each tree needs up to 10 points + 1 mastery, pay G or Q to reset points. You can max out all trees but only 1 stat tree, 2 role trees and 1 mastery can be active at any time. And you get to switch spec trees with builds.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    championshewolf's phrasing strikes a chord:

"We have always been at war with East Asia." :wink:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    And here I had just been wondering why Unity Missions give XP instead of something more useful (Q-box?).
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    Spec Trees should've been a post-40 system :x

Like, at 40, you level your primary stat tree first, then pick a role tree. And you gotta earn XP to put points into them. Each tree needs up to 10 points + 1 mastery, pay G or Q to reset points. And you can max out all trees only 1 stat tree, 2 role trees and 1 mastery can be active at any time. And you get to switch spec trees with builds.

This is probably what they wished they did from the start.
    edited July 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    Spec trees are fine as is, they just never updated the enemies and mechanics to account for the higher player power levels spec trees allow for.

Sad fact is they actually did buff npc stats in that patch... so as far as they're concerned, they did update them. Apparently in the dev's vision, the game is supposed to be this ez.
    edited July 2014
    theres plenty we can do with improving the build slots system without taking away people's ability to make a character with many abilities usable at the same time.

you've really exposed yourself over and over on issues like this.

you don't really care if players like or don't like something. you care only what you think they should like.

You really like to make leaps of logic that don't show you are actually listening either. This game was designed around 7 powers on the power tray. You can clamor to build concepts to the end of the time, but the truth is the truth. The system was built with build swapping in mind to allow for multiple roles and filling as situations needed, but instead it was changed and dumbed down.

The only thing being exposed constantly, Gradii, is your inability to actually listen.

It's obvious to most you don't like challenge. It's a wonder you even play MMOs, games built around team player and cooperation then, with this whole bleeding heart bullcrap you constantly drull out that you are taking up the cause of players who don't talk on the forums. No you aren't, your motivations are entirely self centered not for other players. You are just another voice n the masses thinking they speak for everyone.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    mob stats shouldn't be what makes the game harder. mechanics should be what makes the game harder.

all buffing mob stats does is say, "hey these stupid mobs do more damage now"

add real mechanics and AI.

this applies to mobs but to bosses much more.

Tell it to the devs. I've been pushing more mechanics and AI for years.
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    "We have always been at war with East Asia." :wink:

No, the original developers stated that they wanted to raise the level cap to 50, it was a later team of developers around the time when Free for All came out that decided that raising the level cap would require to much work rebalancing the game to support it.

I very much doubt we will see a level cap increase in CO. But if we do, it'll come with Star Guard & Mechanon (and hopefully Meteor Man).

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It would be nice if we got the XP gifting they discussed some time back.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lestylo wrote: »

Sidekicks? No? Anything new at this point to take my attention away from other games would be more than welcome.
    edited July 2014

Lemme just be clear that I was also excited about this feature, however I am required by my contract to say something along these lines:

"Because why would you actually want to PLAY your alts to level them, right?"
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Game's already easy mode. Post-40 alternate progression... Players can already solo rampages. God, so much no to that. I'd rather see harder mobs, a power balancing (specifically, bringing up some of the weaker powers and bug fixing stuff like PFF to work properly), and eventually new powers. We don't really have much endgame, why would a level cap be good? That'd just take away what little we have now.

And yeah, mobs should hit harder. There should be more cc. Debuffs from mobs. Buffer mobs. Rezzer mobs. That'd make it harder, yes. *And that's the entire point*.

My biggest pet peeve about the power balancing conversation is how people toss out vague ideas like "more enemy AI" without quantifying them. More enemy AI what? AI shoot you with a laser? If they're not going for the tank there's a mechanics fail there, so it can't be on targeting. They already call for backup on the streets, but they're balanced for 5 men on an alert/instance so there's no need. Debuffers and such do exist, but again: If they target willy nilly and intelligently, wtf is the point of the entire threat mechanic?

I feel like viper should be the baseline. They're head and shoulders above every other enemy type in terms of difficulty, and it's because they've got brickbusters and tartrappers and those generals that summon pets. Their heavies tank, and they've got debuffing spikers in the back and mild CC. That's how all enemy types should work, because they require strategy then.

But it's pretty obvious by the power creep we're seeing that the game is intended to be a casual stomp-fest, so I doubt any of it will ever happen.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    game's not as easy as you say. try telling some newer players or silvers about how the game is so easy, they'll laugh you out of town.

Last time we had one of these, I posted a video of my friend who's brand new to the game soloing an elite lair with pre-alert gear. Most of my gamer friends have said the same, I actually am speaking from experience with new players. But, you know from seeing me do so: I'm also speaking with the experience of running all of the ats from 1-40. I'm not just running from an op freeform mindset, I'm also coming at it from the fact that my support archetypes are fully capable of tanking bosses, even though they're not even nearly supposed to be.
    however I do agree that mobs need better mechanics. mob CC is ALREADY very common. what they need are more mechanics in general. more shtick attacks, and stronger ones.
    more debuffs.

they need not do more damage, all that does is make things unfair to squishies. however giving them the tools to debuff you should be required.

Debuffs, adds on bosses, and enemies you have to focus fire first. All 3 would go a long way to making the game more challenging without necessarily making it *harder*. Give us a reason to use debuff removing powers, a purpose to having mob-cleaners like the squall on boss fights, etc... The kind of required focus fire other mmos have, and we also have in the brickbusters/zombie rezzers in the desert. But, lots of mob cc also doesn't correctly stack resistance. That's really more of the problem with enemies like psi or the prisoners. 3 tasers in a row is no fun for anyone, and you just have to eat them because stacks aren't working. Of course, the fact that you have to block the entire duration of a lot of npc stuns or they'll trigger on you when you drop guard is pretty stupid, too. More and varied cc would work a treat if the cc we currently have worked as intended. Right now it's not.

But I'll take a hold over a knock any day of the week. NPC knocks are the most broken thing I currently know of, even tanks get demolished by em.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited July 2014
    Game's already easy mode. Post-40 alternate progression... Players can already solo rampages. God, so much no to that. I'd rather see harder mobs, a power balancing (specifically, bringing up some of the weaker powers and bug fixing stuff like PFF to work properly), and eventually new powers. We don't really have much endgame, why would a level cap be good? That'd just take away what little we have now.

And yeah, mobs should hit harder. There should be more cc. Debuffs from mobs. Buffer mobs. Rezzer mobs. That'd make it harder, yes. *And that's the entire point*.

Making the game harder will just thin the population even more since there isn't much to draw new people in or retain other people here in the first place. Then people will blame the lack of worthy rewards when even that won't save things. I can't help but feel this is the story of most rampages and other mostly dead places in this game and so on.

In b4 tired and old accusations from random people that I hate challenge. I don't hate challenge but I understand that the best way to draw people to this or retain people is to have content that is good for a lot of people, not just me.

That said, this kind of argument is another reason why a Foundry would do this game a world of good. People think they know how to make actual good content, they finally get a chance to put their money where their mouth it. It certainly makes these kind of discussions more interesting on Neverwinter.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Plus raising the damage and HP of mobs won't actually make the game any more harder, just more tedious.
    edited July 2014
    Making the game harder will just thin the population even more

I seriously doubt that since quite a number of our population left because this game was too easy. When casuals are saying the games too easy, it's time to re-evaluate the stance of challenge in this game.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    A level cap increase would actually help to fix things. The power levels can be more easily adjusted instead of outright nerfing (yes nerfs are needed not buffs now) things as they stand now. Furthermore, the mods we have we actually deisgned with the intent of a level cap increase, it's why rank 9 mods don't seem to give so much stat wise since they were actually intended and designed with an increased level cap.

There would still have to be overt nerfs, but mob difficulty and things like that could actually be adjusted up for the new power levels then.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    Better to buff than to nerf. Nerfs piss people off and require retcon tokens be handed out.

Put down the nerfbat. Step away from the nerfbat. Set the nerfbat on fire. :biggrin:

Actually buffing just makes people scream that others were over buffed and others weren't buffed enough. No, nerfbats are required eventually. Constant buffing is just a silly circle jerk that never ends.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    Making the game harder will just thin the population even more

It's sad when one of your favorite games is being held hostage by filthy casuals.
    edited July 2014
    I seriously doubt that since quite a number of our population left because this game was too easy. When casuals are saying the games too easy, it's time to re-evaluate the stance of challenge in this game.

And making it harder will make another group of the population leave as well. There is a reason why the harder mmos tend to fall by the way side and are forced to rely on niche populations (hi Wizardry Online!). I've known some people who left because they felt the difficulty was being tinkered with. They could still play the game but were irritated with it and felt the trade-off of a lack of content along with the changes wasn't worth it. That's not even taking into account people who truly find the game hard for one reason or another. We like to demonize such people but I seriously feel for such people.

One of the problems with difficulty in this game is different people have differing expectations concerning difficulty given the character they are playing or the experience they are looking for. Some people want to mow through things like Superman would and others want to fight tooth and nail like Batman would. Raising difficulty across the boards messes with the experience some people are looking for. Sure they could modify the way they play and even modify their powers but then the game turns into something they weren't looking for. Throw in alts and the discussion gets even messier.

At the end of the day though, making things harder won't fix anything. Like every other "challenging" content in this game, it will just have less people playing it, with people complaining that not enough people play it and wonder why that is (then we will blame Cryptic and act like none of us had a hand in that aspect).
    edited July 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    It's sad when one of your favorite games is being held hostage by filthy casuals.

True but that's the way it goes sometimes. I still think a Foundry (unlikely I know) would fix some issues there. Slapping a decent foundry on things and fixing up pvp would go a long way and something they should attempt before increasing any kind of difficulty.
    edited July 2014
    One of the problems with difficulty in this game is different people have differing expectations concerning difficulty given the character they are playing or the experience they are looking for. Some people want to mow through things like Superman would and others want to fight tooth and nail like Batman would.

This is actually likely what the Recognition system was meant to combat, by giving players a method through which they could be rewarded for fighting NPCs much lower level than themselves. Problem is, even casuals are obsessed with numbers, and feel bad about themselves if they're fighting lower level things... even though deep inside that's exactly the experience they're looking for.
    At the end of the day though, making things harder won't fix anything.

Actually, it would fix the problem of the game losing players because those players find the entire game to be too easy.

Here's a tip, anytime you're using the phrase "across the board", you've lost the plot. There's no reason why anything has to, or would be, done to the entire game. It's bizarre that anyone would think that to be the case in a game that's so heavily themed towards customization.