test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

lockboxes.

kazer64kazer64 Posts: 3 Arc User
why cant they do unlocking lockboxes the same for champions online as in the DCUO sub way. you pay a fee why have to have the torture to pay more to unlock a lockboxes with awsome stuff inside.

we already shell out money for extra stuff like aruas and some special effects, us subbers should get free box unlockes atleast like a limit of ten free keys a week since they drop so often i already got like 30+ in like a few hours of play.:cool:
Post edited by kazer64 on

Comments

• eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    you pay for your cable tv, doesnt mean you get stuff like Pay Per View for free. Lockboxes are the game equivalent of Pay Per View.

Want another reason? DCUO has the backing of Sony and Warners behind it so if they wanna give freebies it hardly touches their bottom line. CO doesnt have that economy of scale to fall back on.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well you do get a stipend as part of your subscription.. you can use that on keys :3

Also, can you imagine if they let you open lockboxes for free? I have like 3000 of them sitting in my bank right now. The day they announced that golds get to open lockboxes for free, I would give them all to Bacon Overlord so he could open them and DECIMATE the in game economy with all the stuff he got out of them xD
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Money, my dear boy.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ... and how Exactly PWE and Cryptic would Benefit from that? :confused:
    They will LOSE the majority of Income they get from Key Purchase
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The reason why DCUO lets subscribers open them for free is because they're very rare drops over there and they only contain cosmetic stuff. No devices or top-tier gear like our boxes.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I open 5 boxes for free every month as a "subscriber".
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »

You pay for a subsciption and get a 500 zen stipend (like me)..........Consider your subscription is $10 and your stipend is $5. That's what I think the subscription is worth atm.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited February 2014
    I'm LT. Thats why i put " on subscriber. :wink:
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm LT. Thats why i put " on subscriber. :wink:

explainthejoke.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kazer64 wrote: »
    why cant they do unlocking lockboxes the same for champions online as in the DCUO sub way. you pay a fee why have to have the torture to pay more to unlock a lockboxes with awesome stuff inside.

we already shell out money for extra stuff like auras and some special effects, us subbers should get free box unlockes at least like a limit of ten free keys a week since they drop so often i already got like 30+ in like a few hours of play.:cool:

you get
    free costumes,(475z per pack)
    free at's (1150zen per set)
    free character slots at L40,(1400zen per 2)
    free retcon tokens,(1250zen each)
    free hideout,(625zen)
    free 500Zen per month,

and you now want another 1000zen per week.
    so for $15 per MONTH, you want $45 in zen per month.Not including all the stuff you don't pay for.

as for the drop rate. you are obviously new. They only changed the drop rate with the Halloween one, before that it was 80% of ALL drops, the other 20% being gear and recognition.

we had to prove they were dropping that much and complain to get them to LOWER it to this level.
    They have the awesome stuff inside top get people to open them.
    I have LTS and a Gold acct. NO I don't think we should get ANY free keys.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited February 2014
    You can always avoid the boxes...you can buy stuff fromplayer... and by not its not that the boxes contain something you really need.

in my opinion they should make ALL ATs for free since they rather make money with people buying lockboxes and charslots than selling ATs :D

just some thought.
  • gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    You can always avoid the boxes...you can buy stuff fromplayer... and by not its not that the boxes contain something you really need.

in my opinion they should make ALL ATs for free since they rather make money with people buying lockboxes and charslots than selling ATs :D

just some thought.

I have to disagree with this. Free AT's are plentyfull they paid ones help keep the server running.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think that archetypes should...

wait.. weren't we talking about lock boxes? First lockbox I ever opened, for free, gave me a hoverbike, so I think they're pretty cool ^3^
  • citizenstrangercitizenstranger Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Not really. I subscribe here and DCUO. I use my Stipend here to open lockboxes. In DCUO, I get to open them for free as part of my subscription, and then use that stipend for other things.
    I have to disagree with this. Free AT's are plentyfull they paid ones help keep the server running.

Then Cryptic has the most expensive, and yet least impressive, servers in the gaming industry.

It'd more of something I'd support if the money actually went into creating new zones (not alerts) and regular content.

But then again, a few weeks ago that Dev said that if Champions made more money, it'd get more development. So, I guess that's that on the fact that AT's aren't making them real money. Apparently, neither are lockboxes. So, I guess the dream-on milking machine continues.
    edited February 2014
    Not really. I subscribe here and DCUO. I use my Stipend here to open lockboxes. In DCUO, I get to open them for free as part of my subscription, and then use that stipend for other things.

Then Cryptic has the most expensive, and yet least impressive, servers in the gaming industry.

It'd more of something I'd support if the money actually went into creating new zones (not alerts) and regular content.

But then again, a few weeks ago that Dev said that if Champions made more money, it'd get more development. So, I guess that's that on the fact that AT's aren't making them real money. Apparently, neither are lockboxes. So, I guess the dream-on milking machine continues.

it's more likely the "it's free to play , so everything should be free" attitude, which is the problem.

ON the comparison chart for that game
    Having just seen what the F2p people get in that game, no trading, no AH, limited chat, mail-text only.

and down the bottom- Premium access is given to anyone who spends a certain amount on items in the, in game marketplace, which Free players don't have access to or by purchasing a DLC pack. Yes, I can really see the free players treated well there.

I'll stick with CO.

• dmack77dmack77 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    make lockboxs free to open for gold and lifetime subs making us pay more is a joke
    that woul;d make subbing more worth it also might bring new players to sub if there were more percks for paying a sub:biggrin:
    edited July 2014
    dmack77 wrote: »
    make lockboxs free to open for gold and lifetime subs making us pay more is a joke
    that woul;d make subbing more worth it also might bring new players to sub if there were more percks for paying a sub:biggrin:

not unless the lockboxes has useless items like the DCUO ones, which you can't sell or trade. except for a potion, which I got from one box.

here the boxes actually have stuff that people want. ALL of which can be sold or traded.

• mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    This.

Do we really want to give subbers and lifetimers an even bigger advantage over free players?

make the difference too large and the free players stop bothering.

and.. ahem, see my green vanguard title. I'm not saying this for myself.

Ahem lockboxes in CO and DCUO are nothing alike. The ones in DCUO are much much much more rare and seem pretty limited to one a day, I'm pretty sure it's only more if you get super lucky.

Free to play players get even less over there than they do here. In fact here you can end up with a FF slot and stuff by grinding.

Different business models, different games.
    edited July 2014
    we know they are different.
    That's what we've all been pointing out to the people who think they should be free openers here.
    Also you'll notice the amount of LTS saying NO to free opening.

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    Also you'll notice the amount of LTS saying NO to free opening.

Just think how pathetically small the chance to get anything of value would have to be to counter the ability of Golds to open every box they get.

Keys would be worthless.

I'd flip on the Vanguard title if I could figure out where to do so.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited July 2014
    Use to be in 'Edit Your Avatar'. But i'm getting a blank page.
    edited July 2014
    as Finn said, its usually edit your avatar and then right down the bottom but it's only giving a blank page now.
    keys would be worthless, everything from the boxes would be worthless because of the amount which would be opened.

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Use to be in 'Edit Your Avatar'. But i'm getting a blank page.

I figured it might be under that when I didn't see the option anywhere else in the User CP but I was getting the blank page as well.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Dunno I reckon green tags should be able to open lock boxes without a key.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Players already get a lot for free in the game. We don't need to start handing out free cosmic keys.

Making keys a random drop, no matter how low the chance, increases the chance of RMT farmers being around. Making them free ingame drops means bypassing the ZEN wall that is the one thing effectively driving RMT farmers away from being interested in the game.
    edited July 2014
    a good reason NOT to let Gold open them free.
    4000 Tank boxes- yes 4000
    300 grav bike
    tako boxes
    anniversary boxes
    winter boxes
    tako 2 boxes
    archer boxes
    foxbat boxes
    steel samurai boxes

the ones which were available form the q exchange I have about 100 x 12packs of each. Now imagine someone with a large collection opening them.
    even at a low drop rate, thats a heck of a lot of rare items flooding the market. In my case, for free.

• chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxY6KrqGnCw

This is 100% the theme song of this thread.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited July 2014
    Consider how much they'd have to nerf what's inside lockboxes for that to happen.

then no one non lifetime would bother buying keys to open them.

if they let us open it without a key as is, we'd be so loaded with rare items the in game economy would be thrown for a HUGE loop.

We dont need to consider we know DCUO has something SORTA like that and its doing better than CO.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited July 2014
    The biggest laugh in DCUO, well actually the only laugh.
    The amount of Marvel clones being played.

edited July 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    The biggest laugh in DCUO, well actually the only laugh.
    The amount of Marvel clones being played.

We might laugh at it and as garbage as it is, its doing better. CO might be wise to copy some things from it.
  • oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    it's doing better only because of huge name companies pumping money and dev time into it.

the game itself is lame.

You sure you're not lying? I cannot trust you. You lied about other "stuff."
    edited July 2014
    it's doing better only because of huge name companies pumping money and dev time into it.

the game itself is lame.

PC version is buggy but on Playstation its more solid. Going its lame doesnt hide the fact that it does some things better.
    edited July 2014
    DCUO's clunky combat controls put me off from the game completely, right at the tutorial.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    RIGHT CLICK RIGHT CLICK LEFT CLICK RIGHT CLICK LEFT CLICK LEFT CLICK It's like trying to put together a powerpoint demonstration at 10X speed.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sony must be doing something right since DCUO is still around instead of dead and buried. It probably helped that when the game went F2P, they launched an ad campaign on TV and spent plenty of money trying to turn the game around. Being one of the few MMOs on console helps too.

People I talk to offline have no idea what CO is. People who are gamers.

As for lockboxes, I have THOUSANDS of lockboxes to spread among my LTS friends for opening. And that's just the tank box. I probably have at least 100 of each one, even after the drop rate reduction, with the exception of the Socbox.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited July 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    We might laugh at it and as garbage as it is, its doing better. CO might be wise to copy some things from it.

lets see, how do we get Cryptic/pwe to do a LARGE amount of advertising and do regular Large updates. I think DCUO is up to 38 now.

as opposed to NO advertising and yes well..
    how about the attack where you have to tap 10 times?
    I'm on the European server, on the grounds, that I like not being able to understand zone chat. STill, there's usually only about 5 people at any time talking. large collection of max levels are at the HQ's duelling(looks just like ren center) and spamming for a team member.

• gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    Sony must be doing something right since DCUO is still around instead of dead and buried. It probably helped that when the game went F2P, they launched an ad campaign on TV and spent plenty of money trying to turn the game around. Being one of the few MMOs on console helps too.

It is called believing and investing in your game. Were that the dcuo players magically summon more players or that SOE made a plan and executed to made the game attractive to players?

Whether we like it or not, after CoX demise, DCUO took the place as number 1 superhero mmo, at least in the mainstream. They took a fair share of CoX refugees.

It seems that at some point in the last 2 years, Cryptic decided on giving up on CO about being competitive against other games.
    edited July 2014
    sterga wrote: »

People I talk to offline have no idea what CO is. People who are gamers.

Sterga gets it. What DCUO does better than CO is ADVERTISEMENT!
    edited July 2014
    The fact that the game is using the DC license should also be a significant factor.
    edited July 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    The fact that the game is using the DC license should also be a significant factor.

Of course that helps. But PWE doing some basic banner adds is some places like You Tube or Face Book wouldnt hurt.