test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need help with ranged tank(ish)

lordwolfylordwolfy Posts: 140 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Builds and Roles
I had an idea for a character based on a dragon robot and would use a breath attack as his main attack (at least for AoE-ing trash mobs). For Alert bosses and other tough customers he would have some strong single attacks and would be sort of an off tank in case the need arose. Most of the powers would deal with emanation points so nothing like Lightning storm or Orbital Cannon..however if I have to take them they should make some sense for him to have.

What I am aiming for this build is to be Alert friendly, can solo all PvE content and MAYBE have a chance at fighting Gravitar or some 5 man lairs (d*mn you VIPER!). Also its meant to be a ranged toon so no melee if I can help it.

I'm stuck however. I am probably going to go with Supernatural Power as a energy unlock but it seems I'm pigeonholing myself to the supernatural tree for attacks. I already have a supernatural DPS'er and I don't want to repeat that character.

Here is my build so far. I am open to any suggestions to make this viable and still keep it within my overall theme. I can be flexible with the powersets (yay Gold) however.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Scarlet Sentry

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Master
Level 6: Quick Recovery
Level 9: Impresario
Level 12: Acrobat
Level 15: Negotiator
Level 18: Healthy Mind
Level 21: Coordinated

Powers:
Level 1: Infernal Bolts
Level 1: Venomous Breath
Level 6: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Lightning Arc
Level 11: Concentration
Level 14: Lifedrain
Level 17: Chest Beam
Level 20: Masterful Dodge
Level 23: Resurgence
Level 26: Ebon Void
Level 29: Defile
Level 32: Ego Surge
Level 35:
Level 38:

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Jet Pack
Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
Constitution: Unyielding (2/2)
Constitution: Fuel My Fire (1/3)
Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
Constitution: Quick Healing (3/3)
Constitution: Armored (2/2)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (1/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)
Post edited by lordwolfy on

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,754 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, its tough to nail down a build w/o some more info on the type of attacks you want to use aside from a breath. Fire? Technology (particle)? Electricity? Mix of some types? The background of this robo-draggy could help determine what to look for in the powersets. The only powersets ya can throw out for this concept are the melee-heavy ones, but that still leaves it quite open. And while specifying content does help a bit, ya can do most content w/ any powerset of attacks and the right build supporting them.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What about the usual MSA fueled build? This solves the problem of having a good SSS stat for Concentration.

If you want to take down normal PvE content you do not need much more than a defensive passive and Hybrid role. However, if you want to Tank in Alerts you need the tanking advantages, if you want to dps/offtank you are probably good with just challenging strikes.

I took away Drain Life since it does not seem to be optimal for dps or healing without the group advantage. In comes Conviction that synergizes with MSA and also grants a good healing that can crit for nice numbers :). As a single target power you should take either Lightining Arc or Defile. I have not much experience with Defile, but it seems like it is more on theme with the breath power.

Name: Scarlet Sentry

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Glacier
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training
    Level 9: Survival Training
    Level 12: Field Ops Training
    Level 15: Acrobat
    Level 18: Coordinated
    Level 21: Healthy Mind

Powers:
    Level 1: Infernal Bolts
    Level 1: Venomous Breath (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 6: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Defile (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Ebon Void (Voracious Darkness)
    Level 26: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
    Level 29: Masterful Dodge
    Level 32: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 35: Ascension (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Nanobot Swarm (Rejuvinating Injectors)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
    Constitution: Unyielding (2/2)
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (1/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Quick Healing (3/3)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Vindicator: Initiative (2/2)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (1/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Apologies, the breath attack was just something that HAD to be in the build. It didnt matter which one honestly. As for attacks I only want ranged ones if I can help it. Hopefully hard hitting ones. It also does not matter what set they are from but im looking at something techy first and foremost. Electricity, power armor, darkness, fire, and infernal supernatural are all canidates.

The issue I think im going to run into is the energy unlock. MSA does solve it somewhat but I would rather not be cooldown heavy. Conviction is nice but the Life drain was there for both the utility of it being a damage/heal at range. plus it looks nice when ranked up.

Background is the tech dragon has a supernatual core powering it. It gives him access to some more options power wise.

Also I dont plan to tank in alerts...Its more that I want to laugh in the bosses face when it does attack me until the real tank gets threat back.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well, if ya dun wanna use MSA and cds, OD can work since all breaths are maintains, then ya just need to tool the rest of the build to also be maintains or toggles.. which helps narrow it down a bit.

I'll add Sparkstorm toggle in there for some extra dmg when enemies get close to you, and it helps stack up OD and Concentration even out of combat. Else, I tried to mix some elemental type attacks since OD is a universal EU (unlike SP):

Name:

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Glacier
    Level 6: Coordinated
    Level 9: Healthy Mind
    Level 12: Acrobat
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Negotiator
    Level 21: Impresario

Powers:
    Level 1: Electric Bolt
    Level 1: Lightning Arc (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Sparkstorm (Rank 2, Electric Personality)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 11: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Overdrive
    Level 17: Frost Breath (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Thunderstrike (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Fire Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Sonic Device (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Masterful Dodge

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Jet Pack (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Intelligence: Preparation (2/2)
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

I wanted to try to have an ability from fire, ice, and elec all represented. I chose LA as ur main attack since its strong single-target and works w/ OD. That meant adding Thunderstrike so you have the NI debuff to better optimize LA (only need to tap it to refresh NI debuff, and not on cd since ya dun have MSA). The mix of breath attack and shield can be w/e ya like- the breath attacks are all pretty close in dps (none of them being great for it, but all are rel cheap), and the block power is just to give you extra defenses when under fire. I kept lifedrain as ur reg heal, but you should have more than enough survivabiltiy w/ a defense passive, LD, 2 ADs, and a block power.

Other SS options that could work for the build: INT/Con/End, EGO/Con/Rec, EGO/Con/End, EGO/Con/Dex. W/e ya pick, make sure ya have enough Rec/End to help fuel OD and afford LA (and possibly breath+sparkstorm toggle). The Con PSS options can also work (mainly if knock resist is a main concern), but they'll lower ur dps a good deal.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ranged tank? STR PSS with CON, INT! Knock resist, high defense and severity -- everything a tank needs.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Str PSS could work, but I'm not sure you'd have enough ranged cost discount for LA and sparkstorm toggle + another power to run, and the crit% would be lower.

Also, he didn't really describe a 'tank', but an off-tank. On a committed tank build I'd have the CS/CC advs and would def find a means for knock resist. As an OT, though, ya dun really need either.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thanks Flow I forgot about OD as a EU and since the powers I do want are all toggles or maintains this works out. I might change a few of the powers as I do want to include chest beam for the debuff and the damage is nice too. Sparkstorm works out nicely as well!