test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developer Attention to Hero games, It's time to take notice.

xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
For too long now that PvE ( rampages and alerts ) have gotten everything to be tuned and balanced. With Justice Gear as a reward for rampages, and dueling and team dueling, there is little reason to go into the hero games aside from just "having fun".

I dont speak for the whole community, but as a player, I know that rewards are a heavy influence in having a player participate in a certain activity.

I ask that the developers please finally give some kind of gear/device rewards, and maybe even titles that show prestige among the players for participating in the Hero Games. The Hero Games are a core part of this game, that has been there since forever. I find it completely unacceptable for the developers to be completely ignoring it. Now I know the excuses are "We have other plans", and "At the moment, we have other projects". Those are not excuses, those are brush offs. This game is already rich "enough" with PvE related content. Having rewards exclusive too the hero games is, and I'm almost afraid to say it but, is necessary. Some will argue that this will only alienate those that do not wish to pvp if they want the rewards. That is tough luck. The hero games need life, and if the developers actually cared for the pvp base players of the game, they would of done something a LONG time ago. I do not want this message to fall on deaf ears.

So I ask the community, to please support this thread, asking for the developers to do something about the sad state of the hero games.

And to you forum moderators, I ask you to please do not move this thread to the pvp section. In this "Champions Online Discussion" section, more eyes look here than any other part of the CO forums. I want this message seen.

-Caliga
Post edited by xcaligax on

Comments

• oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I echo this OP. Thanks Caliga. But, I'm affraid, you might now understand what it feels like to be ignored by developers for Champions Online.

Let's hope they listen and start fixing Hero Games.
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't see why atleast they can't just put a secondary stealth sight item in, these are pretty needed to counter stealth builds which are perfectly fine part of the game but this secondary should be obtainable. Currently players have to pay up past 1k global per stealth secondary for even the most basic ones.

But I agree fully on this thread.

The thing is that fixing the queues will not be an easy thing to do but it would be nice to even have it looked at too be honest just to know that the devs do actually care about the issue.
  • p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have to back this up, too. At least check out the queue bug and try to get that locked down; the team-based games are open to a wider build variety, but there's no reason to play them while that bug exists.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • aurasonic12aurasonic12 Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    you could go one step further with the rewards and bring back all of the old costume pieces you cant get anymore easily except for maybe the grab bag ones
  • captainsaxcaptainsax Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My opinion: Seperate the gear and stats for pvp and pve, like many other MMOs. Make pvp power and resilience valid again, make certain powers and their effects only half as effective, if at all, against players, make a third stat bundling dodge and avoidance together valid only against players, as well as adding that stat to passives and powers granting dodge/avoidnace.

Then possibly a pvp-themed lockbox containing gear and mods relevant to pvp. Then, add new things in the hero games vendors. auras, gear, costumes, devices, action figures, heck even maybe vehicles? That's my two cents, for what it's worth.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No need to separate stats, just offer an alternate path that leads to same-statted gear as Justice.
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thread after thread after thread of people saying to fix pvp and other important things.

I doubt them too much currently to have any hope but who knows, maybe they'll fix it eventually, the problem imo is that there is not enough communication with the devs to know what they're doing to fix/improve the game....
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
    edited July 2014
    lilsteffie wrote: »
    Thread after thread after thread of people saying to fix pvp and other important things.

I doubt them too much currently to have any hope but who knows, maybe they'll fix it eventually, the problem imo is that there is not enough communication with the devs to know what they're doing to fix/improve the game....

Odd because I have video of the queue kick bug from over a year ago...
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, stat priorities aren't quite the same for pve as for pvp. Def should be giving rewards that cater more to pvp needs- like the aforementioned stealth sight. There can be some overlap, ofc- an SS-like boost that Justice gear gives would be great too.

I think fixing the queue system and the UI comes first, though- its just a basic feature of the game that's not working properly, and it affects both pvp and pve.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
    edited July 2014
    Yea it would be nice to have items for stealth sight and knock resist, although those can be useful for PvE too. Itemization in general is just borked though - for both PvP and PvE.
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Que and UI fix are basic I agree and should be fixed. The Devs have a history of listening too much to the playerbase, and because of that, things tend to get borked, and we blame the devs. So I think its best to leave it up to them to fix this on their own. Suggestions here and there are welcome, but again, I want this thread simply as a way to reaching out to the devs. I've never heard any of them mention anything regarding pvp since Alert went live.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    No need to separate stats, just offer an alternate path that leads to same-statted gear as Justice.

as long as it's BOP and only usable in PvP.
    Since the results of contests are PLAYER controlled.
    Just because current players are honest, doesn't mean some future ones, won't think." Hey we can exploit this."
    And if you want to earn it doing PvP, then it should be used for that. same as the current Justice gear, should NOT be useable for PvP
    BOP. Only way to get them is to earn them. Encourage players , discourage farmers.
    make your points cumulative ; either acct wide or between pairs or threes of characters.

costume sets specific to PvP. Not just ones not seen since On alert. Weapon skins would be very appropriate.
    aura- (show off )
    titles- the good , the bad and the I'm just too good.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    OMG Arigato Cariga for this OP, I love you. o3o
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This has my support with respect to fixing the queues/maps, and incentives/rewards for participating in Hero Games.

Special gear rewards for winning in PvP is a whole 'nother can of worms. (Things like titles, sure.)

But let's focus on the things we all agree on. It's past time for PvP to get some dev time. The Hero Games should, at a minimum, work properly.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
    edited July 2014
    xcaligax wrote: »
    The Que and UI fix are basic I agree and should be fixed. The Devs have a history of listening too much to the playerbase, and because of that, things tend to get borked, and we blame the devs. So I think its best to leave it up to them to fix this on their own. Suggestions here and there are welcome, but again, I want this thread simply as a way to reaching out to the devs. I've never heard any of them mention anything regarding pvp since Alert went live.

If you really want you could try one of those online petition thingys and send to TT or Jack or Trendy, or maybe make a post on their Facebook and try to get as many likes as possible. At least that'd be more visible to the decision makers.

Thing is, i'd be skeptical because the last time someone did that, which was for the Foundry I think, well... we still don't have a Foundry :p

But if it's basic system bugfixes I think you have a pretty good chance.
  • dseaverdseaver Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hero Games is the best part of the game :)

please fix, thank you.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I fully agree with fixes to the queue.

The only gear I would like to be added to a pvp vendor is strong stealth sight secondary utility, with stats the same as vigilante gear. And a range of thematically appropriate nttg devices.
  • lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    At minimum... fix the Que system. The "Get the boot" bug is a deterrent to anyone thinking of joining hero games. Before anything else, fix this.

Also, passing this on to the new forum/community mod could be helpful. (@LaughingTrendy)
    Wouldn't hurt, she seems at least open enough to listen to this problem.
    Maybe she can be a go between?

Just a thought.
  • smashykinssmashykins Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Blaming player attitude is ridiculous. I met my best CO buddies in PvP by starting out as friendemies. PvP is my favorite part of this game.

Cheers!
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    I think we should have non pvp hero games. Not my idea, forgot where I saw it, but after thinking about it for awhile, I think it would be awesome to have both pvp and non pvp hero games.

the non PVP ones could just be team based scenarios vs tough enemies, environmental hazards, and interesting mechanics.

Isn't that what alerts are for?
    edited July 2014
    aiqa wrote: »
    Isn't that what alerts are for?

Haha yeap right on
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've said for forever that a pve zombie apocalypse map would probably be the most popular thing CO has ever seen. Increasingly harder and more zombies until not a player is left standing. When you die, the zombies could become neutral to you, or something, and unhittable. that way you can watch the fun.

Also, signed like mad on the original post. Hell, give it cool costumes. Then at least people will queue enough to unlock em.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • alexandrafreyaalexandrafreya Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I do completely agree that hero games really needs some attention, the kick bug really should be fixed and I do think some kind of rewards should be added; however I would worry that adding rewards that increase a player's ability in PvP might just add to the already difficult problem of new and non PvP players trying to break into Pvp.

If all the already top of the game PvPers have the rewards new players and Non Pvp players will just gain a even greater wall to climb and could be even less willing to try to get into PvP.

That being said...Stealth slight does seem really needed here, though I have only done three of four Hero games and I can't really say For sure on Balancing points.

Alexandra
    edited July 2014
    yes <evil grin> hijack her immediately and get her queued. Think of it as a quick lesson in combat ,ither that or a quick lesson in the queue bug.

• xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've said for forever that a pve zombie apocalypse map would probably be the most popular thing CO has ever seen. Increasingly harder and more zombies until not a player is left standing. When you die, the zombies could become neutral to you, or something, and unhittable. that way you can watch the fun.

What if the players that become zombies become like the actual zombies in the game, slow with low hp and only a few basic attacks, or is that still too much like real pvp? I think it would be more fun for the players who got defeated than standing around waiting for the match to end.
    edited July 2014
    Why has the attention to Hero Games thread turned into:

"They should get rid of PvP from hero games and make in PvE."

I don't really think that is the idea of all this. <_<
    edited July 2014
    Why has the attention to Hero Games thread turned into:

"They should get rid of PvP from hero games and make in PvE."

I don't really think that is the idea of all this. <_<

Yea they're making good alerts suggestions though. *points towards PvE threads*
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    PvP balancing and gear should be entirely separate from the PvE side of the game. Powers should work diffrently in PvP, and champions should have seperate PvP only builds where they are allowed to choose, at no extra cost, from among the PvP versions of powers (at's would still have their power preselected for them), and they should get a separate bag just for PvP gear and they should get a box of basic PvP gear when they start PvPing. The PvP gear should not be available to use in PvE nor should the PvE gear be available in PvP.

And most of all, they should fix the damned queue!

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    xcaligax wrote: »
    For too long now that PvE ( rampages and alerts ) have gotten everything to be tuned and balanced. With Justice Gear as a reward for rampages, and dueling and team dueling, there is little reason to go into the hero games aside from just "having fun".

I dont speak for the whole community, but as a player, I know that rewards are a heavy influence in having a player participate in a certain activity.

I ask that the developers please finally give some kind of gear/device rewards, and maybe even titles that show prestige among the players for participating in the Hero Games. The Hero Games are a core part of this game, that has been there since forever. I find it completely unacceptable for the developers to be completely ignoring it. Now I know the excuses are "We have other plans", and "At the moment, we have other projects". Those are not excuses, those are brush offs. This game is already rich "enough" with PvE related content. Having rewards exclusive too the hero games is, and I'm almost afraid to say it but, is necessary. Some will argue that this will only alienate those that do not wish to pvp if they want the rewards. That is tough luck. The hero games need life, and if the developers actually cared for the pvp base players of the game, they would of done something a LONG time ago. I do not want this message to fall on deaf ears.

So I ask the community, to please support this thread, asking for the developers to do something about the sad state of the hero games.

And to you forum moderators, I ask you to please do not move this thread to the pvp section. In this "Champions Online Discussion" section, more eyes look here than any other part of the CO forums. I want this message seen.

-Caliga

You all know how much I hate to agree with this guy but I have to agree with all of the above.

/signed.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tdits wrote: »
    PvP balancing and gear should be entirely separate from the PvE side of the game. Powers should work diffrently in PvP, and champions should have seperate PvP only builds where they are allowed to choose, at no extra cost, from among the PvP versions of powers (at's would still have their power preselected for them), and they should get a separate bag just for PvP gear and they should get a box of basic PvP gear when they start PvPing. The PvP gear should not be available to use in PvE nor should the PvE gear be available in PvP.[/I]!
    Although I do think some amount of separation between pvp and pve mechanics is needed and is healthy, ya have to be careful how far to take that. The game shouldn't change too drastically for players or it'll be too off-putting to more casual players or too jarring to break in to. There's also the simple problem of resources- the more you separate, the more you have to balance two diff games, and that's just gotta be a PITA on the dev's side.

And pvp gear crossing over into pve (and vice versa) isn't necc a bad thing. Logically, the optimal pvp gear should not also be optimal for pve (and vice versa), but it doesn't really have to go much farther than that- what may matter more is if one type is much easier to obtain than the other (which shouldn't be true).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
    edited July 2014
    Spin off a League of Champions MOBA with the same powers and Freeform, except the ability to pre-customize your build. Give that game a dedicated balance team and cascade balance changes from there back to CO.

It could totally fly - there's no Freeform MOBA at the moment :O
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The best thing the developers could do to revitalize PvP would involve a massive rework of mechanics and powers that would allow thematic builds to be competitive. In other words, it will never happen.

The present requirement for FotM Frankenbuilds in order to be dominant/competitive in PvP will keep it the tiny minority niche that it is. Fixing a few inconvenient bugs won't even come close to resuscitating it.
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    helbjorn wrote: »
    The best thing the developers could do to revitalize PvP would involve a massive rework of mechanics and powers that would allow thematic builds to be competitive. In other words, it will never happen.

The present requirement for FotM Frankenbuilds in order to be dominant/competitive in PvP will keep it the tiny minority niche that it is. Fixing a few inconvenient bugs won't even come close to resuscitating it.

No, the sheer undying stubborness of the PvP Community will do more for that than these bug repairs...but they're bugs. The aforementioned PvP Queue Bugs are not only bad for Hero Games but for Alerts and Rampages as well(not to mention when these systems were copy/pasted to other Cryptic Games) since they use the same systems. I do not, in the least, find it unreasonable to fix a few bugs and then give the players the chance(no matter the outcome) to make a go of getting people involved in this particular aspect of the game.

Gradii: You're thinking of Robobo's proposed "Survival Maps." I believe Brou's thread "The Gallery of Lost Potential actually shows some of this but it's been a while and I could be mistaken. You might wish to do a little digging in that particular direction though. :wink:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
    edited July 2014
    At minimum... fix the Que system. The "Get the boot" bug is a deterrent to anyone thinking of joining hero games. Before anything else, fix this.

Totally agreed. Fix the queues first, or retool them completely. Whatever must be done to make Hero Games playable again. Rewards/incentives for participation WOULD be nice, but let's not rock the boat too much. One thing at a time.
    edited July 2014
    I quite agree wiht oobtree AND CROSSCHAN, I couldn't give a <expletive deleted> about PvP.

However, at a minimum the queue needs to be fixed, so that people who want to use that part of the game, can. Or if that can't be done, institute the private queue system for it.

It's a section of the game unable to be used because of the bugs.

Rewards are a bonus.
    but even some unique costume sets or ones which aren't normally available to Pc's would be good.

special mods like stealth/perc mods. Unlike the penetration/resistance ones, which didn't seem to do much.

titles- for winners and losers.... well you can think of a few titles for someone who keeps trying despite consistently losing. and keep it polite
    what I'd like to see(and get others hit with) is choosable options;
    each team picks
    traps
    mobs
    effect zones

so that each team only knows some of what they are going to get hit with

• pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    oobtree wrote: »
    Totally agreed. Fix the queues first, or retool them completely. Whatever must be done to make Hero Games playable again. Rewards/incentives for participation WOULD be nice, but let's not rock the boat too much. One thing at a time.

No-Hair Man is right, we MUST TAKE ACTION!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    yeah but most of the non rampage alerts we have are just boring bash some enemies. I'd like to see special cooperative maps with mechanics that encourage brains, and by brains, I don't only mean zombie stuff.

Imagine if you had to navigate an obstacle filled arena where some kinds of travel powers would be disabled, and perhaps enemies standing in certain areas would gain buffs making them stronger or AoE immune.

Different power debuffs or disables would happen in certain areas to players at random, and the enemies would gain buffs in a similar way, encouraging teamwork and working with what you've still got that's effective.

what if you're 100 foot attacks suddenly became 25 foot while standing in a certain marked zone?

and what if someone else standing in the same place gained a buff which would allow you to do more damage to enemies closer to you?

Just some examples. Heroes often find themselves subject to status effects in comics as well to my knowledge at least. This can be used to make for some interesting team content.

That would be cool, but I also want one with Destroids or Mechanon robots.

Isn't that, what 99% of this game is about? PvE? Because you just described an alert, in which the boss debuffs the player-team and the team members benefit from eachothers...

What PvP really needs is gear and devices, as people already mentioned. Preferably with set boni such as: Armor penetration (the long forgotten boohoo - does it still work, though - stat) as 2 piece set bonus and critical severity as 4 piece set bonus. (justice gear doesn't cut it, in my opinion due to it's terrible PvE-ish stats)

Oh and returning the queue limit to 5 instead of 10 would also help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    helbjorn wrote: »

I would have to disagree and say there are still more options in CO build wise than in other games.

Technically in PvP it is "limited" and there are classes in a way with various changes one can do from the variations. Nothing is original everything has been used in PvP before however in every game people will use the best thing. In the new game wildstar there are massive FOTM builds and it is almost more limiting than CO PvP wise. The only thing that they have is the fact that not every class can take MD / conviction / unbreakable / ego surge / ascension with the travel power teleport no matter what their main TP was. This was an issue I faced in a previous thread however. People usually blame powers such as SR / UR / ER / 2GM for being the FOTM builds but they are merely different class choices that are viable in PvP.

The thing is that in a duel there is less viable options than in team PvP which creates the big problem where people think there is less viable builds than there actually is. If UTC / KOTH / SH were playable and there were more people in PvP for us to do team duels for then you may see the variation that you can get in a coPvP build.
    edited July 2014
    Precisely because the game is about PVE is why we need PVE hero games like I described.

and no current alerts have the kind of complexity my suggestion is speaking about.

Sigh.
    edited July 2014
    Calm down. no one is suggesting we take away you're precious pvp sheesh.

I'm merely asking for some real interesting pve content, which makes much more sense in this game than any pvp.

Well can you suggest that in another thread instead of derailing this thread? :mad:
    edited July 2014
    the thread is about hero games.

If I think hero games should have something for PVE people as well, I will post that here.

My sigh of irrelevance wasn't about you saying anything against PvP as you didn't.

However spamming an all for PvP thread with things that they should do instead of fixing PvP really isn't helpful, that's all. <_<

There is a lot of things they can do in PvE as well however in PvP we are not asking for new content. This is not a thread about new content to be added is what I am basically trying to say.
    edited July 2014
    the thread is about hero games.

If I think hero games should have something for PVE people as well, I will post that here.

Hero Games has 2 modes for PvEvP already.

You're purposely trying to derail a thread that's asking for some minor bug fixes with suggestions having nothing to do with any of the OP. I'm disappointed in you.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is like a call to action from a celebrity.

Heartwarming, it might get some hand claps or blog posts, but ultimately does nothing. This has been brought up in multiple threads over the past few years. If they were going to take action, they would have addressed this long ago.
    Brou in Cryptic games.