test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Another double XP weekend? So soon?

roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
Another double XP weekend is coming.

Yay, the game is even easier.

I know that many folks will be excited, but it's a sad excuse for an event in my book.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
Post edited by roughbearmattach on

Comments

• jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    why do you waste time complaining about something like this. get a life.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Another double XP weekend is coming.

Yay, the game is even easier.

I know that many folks will be excited, but it's a sad excuse for an event in my book.

Double XP is always welcome. Many people like having multiple toons at 40. Not all of us are attention hogs that stick to one toon.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I really can't think of any possible reason people would object to this. If you don't want double XP, don't talk to Witchcraft.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    Double XP is always welcome. Many people like having multiple toons at 40. Not all of us are attention hogs that stick to one toon.

True, Nepht. I have 35 toons.

But, since I have no life, complaining like this is all I can do.

:frown:

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited June 2014
    Hey Roughbear is just saying what he thinks . If everyone thinks everything is a great idea bad things tend to happen. Someone going hey I dont like this is needed more often.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No, I get that, and he's free to do so. It's a public forum, after all. Double XP has just always been one of the things that seemed to have no downside to me. It isn't tradable currency, so it doesn't make any markets wonky, and it has no impact on play aside from being a 100% quality of life increase for those of us who like running toons to 40.

Maybe later in the month/summer they'll have something you like, Rough. Sorry this one missed you.
    edited June 2014
    In a way, I feel it contributes a bit to the "no content left" or "nothing to do" vibe, since it makes the game easier to advance toons to max level.

I don't think it is a terrible idea. I just don't think it's so special anymore. Double XP is more frequent now than in the past. Too much a good thing makes it seem less good, I believe.

P.S. And just for the record, I am one of CO's fanboys here in the forums.

edited June 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    some people have run the content so much, slow leveling only is a pain.

fair point

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited June 2014

It's always fascinated me how people can even imagine CO's leveling curve is even remotely slow anymore. But we do live in the day when people have to have it now.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This is the first double XP after the Mega-D nerf so there's that...
    edited June 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    This is the first double XP after the Mega-D nerf so there's that...

And even though I myself welcome the double xp weekend I have to laugh at Cryptic. They nerf the Mega D EXP to stop power leveling but make EXP alerts fail proof and have double EXP every few weeks so people can power level.

3p38ni.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ...they...make EXP alerts fail proof...
    Sadly, that assessment isn't entirely accurate. For example, while leveling a new toon a week back or so, I started running a City Hall Grab. My toon was 12, there was another 12, a 14, and a couple of high-level toons. The 40 ran ahead, aggroed everything in sight, then he and the other high-level toon quit. At that point, there was no way the three of us left could advance beyond the steps (since, when the whole group goes down, all the mobs heal back to full HP).

So yes, the Grabs can be failed, especially when some bored 40 wants to troll the lowbies...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    And even though I myself welcome the double xp weekend I have to laugh at Cryptic. They nerf the Mega D EXP to stop power leveling but make EXP alerts fail proof and have double EXP every few weeks so people can power level.

3p38ni.jpg

Mega D leveling allowed you to get to max level in 3 hours tops.

The DBL exp makes players run the boring Alerts again because Cryptic wants you to do this to justify only developing alert related content rather than that pesky zone content.

If they could remove regular zone content to make it fit that players were only running alerts in the game, they would.
    edited June 2014
    Mega D leveling allowed you to get to max level in 3 hours tops.

The DBL exp makes players run the boring Alerts again because Cryptic wants you to do this to justify only developing alert related content rather than that pesky zone content.

Yes, because zone development is so easy :tongue:
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, I ain't complaining.

Might actually get a gadgeteer to 40 that way.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Every level 40 is another character slot for subscribers.

Double XP weekend should be the last or first weekend of every month to encourage subscriptions.
    edited June 2014

Double XP weekend should be the last or first weekend of every month to encourage subscriptions.

Why would that encourage subscriptions since you have to stay subscribed to keep those bonus character slots active.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Why would that encourage subscriptions since you have to stay subscribed to keep those bonus character slots active.

It's perfect from a business perspective... the last weekend of the sub and LTS sale and they add in the double XP weekend... entice and encourage new players or returning players to build up rosters and get those subs. Then after? Well if a player has the good deal they'll stick around longer and potentially put more money into other parts of the game.

It's pretty obvious why they did it, and if it leads to more life in this game? Then I'm all for it.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
    edited June 2014
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    It's perfect from a business perspective... the last weekend of the sub and LTS sale and they add in the double XP weekend... entice and encourage new players or returning players to build up rosters and get those subs. Then after? Well if a player has the good deal they'll stick around longer and potentially put more money into other parts of the game.

Excellent point.

See, this is why people post stuff like my OP on the forums. Thinking out loud. Not everyone is looking to do battle.

@JasinBlaze: Some of us want to be convinced.

:biggrin:

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yes, because zone development is so easy :tongue:

You read that comment wrong. Try again?
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Slots gained through obtaining the Icon perk aren't bound to being subscribed.

If you put a freeform in them you won't have access when you go silver unless you convert them to an AT you do have access to.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited June 2014
    My point is we have a small dev team doing their best. It's not their fault they are small and they have some big stuff coming up. when people complain about positive stuff just because it wasnt something they wished for. It is toxic behavior. The dev team is aware of what you want and they want to make the game better. Double xp is nothing to complain about.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The OP is not toxic in any way. It's a guy with an opinion that isn't name calling or putting anyone down. Telling someone they should get a life for having an opinion is much closer to being toxic.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • rugrothrumborrugrothrumbor Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No it doesn't make the game easier, it just makes it take less time to get to level 40. I'm actually glad that they're doing this.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No it doesn't make the game easier.

Indeed, I had over two hours of double xp left on one of my scourge characters, and every single Grab alert last night had 3/5 of the team under level 20, so every time I fired any single shot, I pulled all the aggro, and went down like a stick of butter in the July sun.

Having the right gear and the right team makes the game easy, the minute you have some players that take five minutes to clear the first grab mob with multiple wipe outs, then you know that your double xp bonus that is burning away each minute doesn't do squat.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    thats ok, I was just in an alert with 20,13,13,13,12. I was one of the 13's. everytime I fired a shot I got all the aggro.

Ricochet shot- otherwise known as" everyone attack me"
    a large amount of deaths later, we finished the alert.
    levelling my Mind at, I got aggro from level 12. actually most of mine I get it from about 12 unless we have someone with CC , in which case I follow them around.
    getting aggro does not require a high level
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    No it doesn't make the game easier, it just makes it take less time to get to level 40. I'm actually glad that they're doing this.

Ditto. I am one of the few (or many) who can just can't take going through content for the ba-millionth time. Sure it was fun first few times around but now I have an army of lv 6-10s just lying around. I may just use this EXP weekend to get some characters that I have who are in their mid levels/close to 40 already. I guess one reason why I gave up lvling new toons is to not have expensive costume changes seeing I always make my toons to RP with.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • gemini2099gemini2099 Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yay! This game is awesome.
    Gemini - Lvl 4x - Soldier
    Omicron - Lvl 4x - Mind
    Emerald Myst - Lvl 2x - Claws/Fighting Hybrid
    Epsilon - Lvl 2x - Blade
    Asterius - Lvl 1x - Electric/Void Hybrid

edited June 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    The OP is not toxic in any way. It's a guy with an opinion that isn't name calling or putting anyone down. Telling someone they should get a life for having an opinion is much closer to being toxic.

I am toxic about complaining. The op is upset about lack of other things so he complains about this. At least complain about what really upsets you. Don't complain about a neutral at worst thing because you are upset about something else.
    edited June 2014
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    I am toxic about complaining. The op is upset about lack of other things so he complains about this. At least complain about what really upsets you. Don't complain about a neutral at worst thing because you are upset about something else.

The OP (me) isn't upset at all. If you read the forums a lot, you'll see that I'm a CO fanboy, if anything.

I was complaining, really, about the devaluing of XP because of the increasing frequency of Double XP weekends. Really.

However, thoughtful posts by others may have convinced me otherwise--I'm not convinced about devaluing XP (I come from a tabletop RPG background), but I AM convinced about good reasons for offering another Double XP weekend, with this timing in particular.

• gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited June 2014

That'll be me. And even after over a year Im still finding new content to run so I welcome double XP weekend :)
  • gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Actually that sounds like a good idea (tho I would make it bi-monthly).
    edited June 2014
    I'm about to start the alt swapping, this time with an excel sheet, so I can list
    name, level, heirloom gear(ok I want to find out where it all is.

I usually start at the one sin the 30's then the 20's then the lowers. I have soooo many new ones, a lot are RP ones, and some were power tryouts or bad puns (Rat a tat tat- solider at)

edited June 2014
    1 down, 2 at 34 next.