test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Release of CO Parser for ACT

quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Power Discussion
I decided to finally do a (test) release of my CO combat log parser / analyzer.

There's a Google slideshow document with some instructions and links here.

Access to this parser has been extremely limited up until now, and I've been relatively disengaged from CO for most of the past few months. So, although I tried to make adequate instructions, there may be gaps. If you run into problems or questions, you can post them here and hopefully either I or someone else will be able to help you.

EDIT: I created a quick YouTube video going over how to get started with the CO plug-in for ACT.

This version of the parser will only function until 7/31/2014. My plan would be to release an updated version by then with fixes.

Enjoy!
LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This needs a sticky in the builds forum. A good parse is essential to theorycrafting.

Well done dude.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This needs a sticky in the builds forum. A good parse is essential to theorycrafting.

Well done dude.

For once we are in complete agreement. Give the man the sticky.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the feedback! I do hope the community enjoys having a new little toy to play around with, and that it becomes useful in testing/balancing. In addition to theorycrafting and benchmarking toons (which is like crack to some of us), I'm hoping that it will assist with player-reported balance issues being substantiated by actual data rather than just opinion.

ACT has some neat features that are not always obvious. Expect to see some additional configuration tips posted "soon".
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks - works great. Now I'm depressed at how weak my characters are. :frown:
    edited June 2014
    Note that if your computer is configured to use non-US date formats (mm/dd/yyyy), the current version of the parser won't load. I'll try to get this fixed shortly.

• missmaeheymmissmaeheym Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hi there....

I installed ACT and followed the instructions to set it up...everything was going swimmingly right up until I had to open the combat log. Only...there was no combat log. I had set /combatlog to 1 in game, system message shows combatlog 1, and went to where it should be stored. No joy. Even got in a few fights to see if that generated anything. Still no luck. What am I missing?

Miss Mayhem aka Sanction aka WARHEAD aka Mynx ---still rocking no sig after 4 years...
  • ignengiignengi Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thank you, Quasimojo1.

I had come across one other parser for CO, though it required Java. Following your instructions, ACT and the CO .dll plugin were easy to get running.

MissMaeheym, I saw similar behavior, no log file in the logs folder. Refreshing the view may fix it for you as it did for me.
    edited June 2014
    Hi there....

I installed ACT and followed the instructions to set it up...everything was going swimmingly right up until I had to open the combat log. Only...there was no combat log. I had set /combatlog to 1 in game, system message shows combatlog 1, and went to where it should be stored. No joy. Even got in a few fights to see if that generated anything. Still no luck. What am I missing?

Miss Mayhem aka Sanction aka WARHEAD aka Mynx ---still rocking no sig after 4 years...

Hmm, I'm not sure about that one. The game client should be creating a log file for you. Perhaps it's going into a different directory from the one you're expecting? If you figure it out, let us know as it may be helpful to someone else.

• tasittlertasittler Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hi there....

I can't say for certain as I don't know your particular setup, but this is the full path for my Steam based install on Win XP:
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Champions Online\Champions Online\Live\logs\GameClient
  • missmaeheymmissmaeheym Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well, pathing is essentially identical except I don't go through Steam, its set up through Arc. Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Champions Online_en\Champions Online\Live\logs\GameClient.

I've done a full search of all files on my computer, this log file isn't being generated anywhere.

ugh.

** EDIT** Found it....
    edited June 2014
    Added v2.0.1 of the plug-in.

- Fix for non-US culture settings.

edited June 2014
    I created a quick YouTube video going over how to get started with the CO plug-in for ACT.

Unfortunately, the video and audio get a little out of sync at points, and I'm not sure how to fix that, but hopefully you can still follow it.

• selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the plugin! I'd just like to check of it tracks self heals. Just looked at a parse where I had aggro the whole fight and saw my HPS was 0, found it a little strange since I was healing myself the whole time.
    edited June 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    Thanks for the plugin! I'd just like to check of it tracks self heals. Just looked at a parse where I had aggro the whole fight and saw my HPS was 0, found it a little strange since I was healing myself the whole time.

Yep, it does. Self-heals go into a different bucket, the one ACT calls "Cure/Dispel". I did this so that the heal-oriented statistics in the Encounter view would be based upon the healing of others rather than self-healing. But you can still drill-down to see your self-heal stats by drilling down into the Cure/Dispel category.

Hope that makes sense.

edited June 2014
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    Yep, it does. Self-heals go into a different bucket, the one ACT calls "Cure/Dispel". I did this so that the heal-oriented statistics in the Encounter view would be based upon the healing of others rather than self-healing. But you can still drill-down to see your self-heal stats by drilling down into the Cure/Dispel category.

Hope that makes sense.

I only see Circle of Primal Dominion there but I was using Conviction and Rebuke too :o
    edited June 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    I only see Circle of Primal Dominion there but I was using Conviction and Rebuke too :o

I found the issue. Healing (self or other) that has some type of resistance factor applied (either positive or negative) was not being parsed properly. This was most likely my issue with Iniquity that I had noticed before as well.

This fix is in for the next version. Thanks for reporting it.

• monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just tried it out today. I like it, opening my eyes to lots of things.

I wonder tho if you can eliminate damage done to objects or have a toggle to eliminate such damage from dps calcs. 50K done to the mailboxes with Unleashed Rage in Grav shouldn't count... ;)

Got a question for ya on the damage taken numbers, specifically the Resist and Dodge %. How do they work? I had my 100% dodge toon in Grav and the resistance number was 87% but the dodge was 13%. Guessing resistance was buffed maybe by blocking yellows? But can't figure out the dodge calcs.

Great work, many slaps on back, /e salute
    edited June 2014
    Just tried it out today. I like it, opening my eyes to lots of things.

I wonder tho if you can eliminate damage done to objects or have a toggle to eliminate such damage from dps calcs. 50K done to the mailboxes with Unleashed Rage in Grav shouldn't count... ;)

Got a question for ya on the damage taken numbers, specifically the Resist and Dodge %. How do they work? I had my 100% dodge toon in Grav and the resistance number was 87% but the dodge was 13%. Guessing resistance was buffed maybe by blocking yellows? But can't figure out the dodge calcs.

Great work, many slaps on back, /e salute

Thanks. Glad you like it.

I think I had removed inanimates at one point and then decided to re-add them. It was a while ago and I can't remember the specifics--pets maybe? I'll put it on the list of things to look at.

The Damage Resistance calculation is a ratio of actual damage taken to base damage taken, so it includes all damage mitigation including dodge.

The Dodge calculation is not currently displayed correctly in the Encounter view. But if you drill down to the Combatant view, the Dodge % column next to the Incoming Damage row should be correct. (You may need to add this column in the Combatant View Settings). I plan to fix the Dodge % in the Encounter view in the next release.

edited June 2014
    Thanks! BTW, I can't seem to get ACT to work on PTS. There must something stupid I am missing? Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks again!
    edited June 2014
    Thanks! BTW, I can't seem to get ACT to work on PTS. There must something stupid I am missing? Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks again!

You just have to change the ACT setting for the combat log file location to the Playtest directory instead of Live.

• stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for making the plug-in. :3
    edited June 2014
    Version 2.1 of the plugin is now available.

This was a pretty significant update:
    - Automatically configures column settings of various views for CO
    - Recategorized action categories to be more appropriate for CO (e.g. healing, shielding, energy gain)
    - Fix to issue with healing parse where there were healing bonuses
    - Fix to Dodge% display
    - Added Tank% to go along with Damage% and Healing%
    - Added AvgDelay to attack view
    - Destructible objects should be ignored

Feel free to let me know if you have any trouble.

• aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for all the work on this, it is a big improvement over the old parser.
    With the version I do get a bit of trouble loading the plugin, I am getting an popup message with the title "Plugin initialization failed" saying "String was not recognized as a valid DateTime".
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I tested on a couple of different date format settings, but apparently not the important ones. :-) Version 2.1.1 is up now and should account for any goofy non-US date formats.:biggrin:

edited June 2014
    Europeans rejoice :biggrin:, it works great now.
  • aethanasaethanas Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thank you for this plug-in, I was searching for such a nice thing some time now. :smile:
    edited June 2014
    Thanks again Mojohama.

I was wondering if Kaizerin has tried out this parser. The reason why I am curious is that I am finding majorly different DPS results reported by other people. For example, I read in Caliga's thread that he reported Kaizerin tracked him at 3.5K-3.7K dps. I duplicated Caliga's build on PTS, added Unleashed Rage and found only 2.7K DPS which is pretty significant.

So far, ACT matches pretty much what I expected when I manually copy and paste the combat log into Excel and tally it up.
    edited June 2014
    What happens if you run the 2.7k log in the old parser?
    edited June 2014
    LOL, nevermind the parser is fine. Good ole Caliga being Caliga sneaked in extra damage to buff his ego, erm damage. :biggrin:

Caliga really had me going for awhile haha... but Mojohama's detailed parser spilled the beans! LOL, all good fun.
    edited June 2014
    It would be an interesting experiment to run a log through both parsers just to see how significant any differences are. (I haven't run the generic parser in a long time and don't currently have it installed.)

I put some effort into trying to make sure the stats are as accurate as possible. I'm not sure that the other parser has had much maintenance since the initial release.

edited June 2014
    It would be an interesting experiment to run a log through both parsers just to see how significant any differences are. I haven't run the generic parser in a long time and don't currently have it installed.

I put some effort into trying to make sure the stats are as accurate as possible. I'm not sure that the other parser has had much maintenance since the initial release.

I've run both parsers side by side and they seem to come up close enough.

The main discrepancy was HPS which seems to have been fixed now.

And for the record I'm sticking to the old parser not because this plugin's bad, but because it's a hassle to keep switching log directories between TSW and CO
  • garblefunkygarblefunky Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hi there....

try
    C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Champions Online\Live\logs\GameClient
    edited August 2014
    *bump*

Looks like we hit the expiry date for this. Is a new version coming out?
    edited August 2014
    *re-bump*

In the meantime, the Neverwinter plugin seems to work for mechanics that are common across both games: https://github.com/nilsbrummond/Neverwinter-ACT-Plugin

Most of the basics like DPS, HPS, crit chance, incoming damage work but no Dodge/Block and it has Flanking which doesn't exist in CO.
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for the reminder. Been super busy. I'll try to put an update out later today.

• kirsroskirsros Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    For some reason my copy of CO doesn't have a combat log. Any workarounds?

EDIT: scrolled up and found a solution. Nevermind!
    edited August 2014
    Version 2.1.2 of the parser is now available. The only change should be the removal of expiration date.

edited August 2014
    Thanks! :smile:
    edited August 2014
    Thank you very much for the update. :smile:
  • jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Version 2.1.2 of the parser is now available. The only change should be the removal of expiration date.

Thanks mojo! (For the update and for coming back, even if just for an instant).
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    thanks for the update, and grats on the sticky 8)
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
    edited August 2014
    Hi Mojo,

Don't know if this is a weird request (or even possible), but can ACT parser report time precision values smaller than 1 second? CO reports things in 1/10ths of a second, which is occassionally useful for some weird analyses that I do ( for example, http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=264241&page=9 ). Just wondering; a low-priority request anyhow, since I can extract the necessary data from the raw log files.
    edited August 2014
    jimhsua wrote: »
    Hi Mojo,

Don't know if this is a weird request (or even possible), but can ACT parser report time precision values smaller than 1 second? CO reports things in 1/10ths of a second, which is occassionally useful for some weird analyses that I do ( for example, http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=264241&page=9 ). Just wondering; a low-priority request anyhow, since I can extract the necessary data from the raw log files.

Hi Jim. I'll take a look at this next time I take another pass at the parser. Not sure off-hand if the precision is bring limited by the plug-in or ACT. If it's the plug-in, it should be a relatively easy fix.

Cheers.

• gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    kirsros wrote: »
    For some reason my copy of CO doesn't have a combat log. Any workarounds?

EDIT: scrolled up and found a solution. Nevermind!

What was the solution, I couldn't find the combat log. :frown:

P.S. I am using Arc
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    /combatlog 1 to turn on logging. /combatlog 0 to turn it off.
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    /combatlog 1 to turn on logging. /combatlog 0 to turn it off.

Awesome, thank you so much. I am going to try it tomorrow.
    edited September 2014
    A minor update release v2.1.3 is available here.

Changes:
    1.) Added a column ("Veh") to Combatant view to indicate whether or not a vehicle is being used, based upon looking for "Mark" in the attack type.
    2.) Added Mega-Destroid and Mechanon to the internal "boss list", to pull out their combat stats from the generic "[NPCs]" list. (In a future version, I hope to make this list configurable by the user.)

Note: these changes have been very minimally tested (the Mechanon one, not at all.) But I thought it might be good to push this release out quickly for the new event, as some folks might find it helpful.

• novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't understand... What exactly does a parser do?

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for the update Mojo. :smile:
    I don't understand... What exactly does a parser do?

By using the "/combatlog 1" command in CO, you make CO write out a combat log in the logs folder ("Champions Online\Live\logs\GameClient" for the live client). That combat log contains information about how much damage players and npc are doing and such, but it is not really humanly readable. So a parser reads and processes that log and shows you its content in a humanly readable format.

In de past we were pretty much stuck with a old parser written by a cryptic dev, it worked but it was not maintained and quite a few interesting things were not shown or easily interpreted.

ACT is a 3rd party parser that can by used for quite a few games, and that is more flexible with what is can show and do. Also it has a plugin infrastructure that people can use to write a plugin so that ACT can read combat logs from different games with a different formatting, and process the relevant information for each game. Mojo created such a plugin to enable ACT to parse the CO combat logs.
    edited September 2014
    A minor update release v2.1.3 is available here.

Changes:
    1.) Added a column ("Veh") to Combatant view to indicate whether or not a vehicle is being used, based upon looking for "Mark" in the attack type.
    2.) Added Mega-Destroid and Mechanon to the internal "boss list", to pull out their combat stats from the generic "[NPCs]" list. (In a future version, I hope to make this list configurable by the user.)

Note: these changes have been very minimally tested (the Mechanon one, not at all.) But I thought it might be good to push this release out quickly for the new event, as some folks might find it helpful.

Alternate link for file:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!2EsXBCRS!tlbVH5EiCeI39QvqGZ8ZbwFfAe6sfSMmglq5ob0q0MU

SHA-1 for verification: 420C1EF7C436D17500EDDB0176B39A9025DE89CA