test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My bank won't allow me to buy a LTS :(

cmdrgodfreycmdrgodfrey Posts: 20 Arc User
I tried to purchase a LTS last night but the charge never went through and I got an error on the purchase page. I tried 2 more times thinking that it was just an error with the system or I entered the wrong CC number.

I gave up after the 3rd try and woke up this morning with calls from my bank's fraud protection asking me to verify my purchase.

After verifying, they said I'd have to call another department to ask them to temporarily lift my restriction because they automatically block all purchases to the Netherlands.

I was put through to the other department and when I asked them to lift the restriction, they said that the website that I tried to purchase from has too many charge-backs and they wouldn't allow me to make my lifetime sub purchase.

The funny thing, they said they were doing this to protect my purchases... on the same card I've been buying Zen and Gold subs for a couple of years...

So I don't know what to do. My PayPal account also has a restriction on purchasing the $199.99 LTS from Perfect World. :/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by cmdrgodfrey on

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You bought too many LTS.
    That's what happens if you click multiple times when the error happens.
    Just tell you bank you only want 1. Not 4.
    And if they still deny your 1 LTS, switch banks.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I tried to purchase a LTS last night but the charge never went through and I got an error on the purchase page. I tried 2 more times thinking that it was just an error with the system or I entered the wrong CC number.

I gave up after the 3rd try and woke up this morning with calls from my bank's fraud protection asking me to verify my purchase.

After verifying, they said I'd have to call another department to ask them to temporarily lift my restriction because they automatically block all purchases to the Netherlands.

I was put through to the other department and when I asked them to lift the restriction, they said that the website that I tried to purchase from has too many charge-backs and they wouldn't allow me to make my lifetime sub purchase.

The funny thing, they said they were doing this to protect my purchases... on the same card I've been buying Zen and Gold subs for a couple of years...

So I don't know what to do. My PayPal account also has a restriction on purchasing the $199.99 LTS from Perfect World. :/

Buy a gift card from a retail chain that has credit card capability.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for posting your experiences, because I'm in the same situation.

I logged in the new system, went to Gold, chose LTS, chose a card I used successfully before.

Then I was taken to the subscriptions page with an error, "Error updating subscription."

Logged into the game, saw I didn't get LTS (was still Silver), tried again, same error message.

If I get a call from my bank tomorrow morning, I'll know it's about this.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • cmdrgodfreycmdrgodfrey Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    After prodding my bank for a few hours, they allowed me a "30 minute window" to make international purchases. So yay, I picked up the LTS.

Now where do I select Vanguard as my forum rank? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    After prodding my bank for a few hours, they allowed me a "30 minute window" to make international purchases. So yay, I picked up the LTS.

Hrmm, it's under User CP somewhere I do believe. I haven't looked at it in a while though I was considering a new avatar again myself.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It sounds like PWE's questionable business practices are starting to catch up with it.
    edited June 2014
    It sounds like PWE's questionable business practices are starting to catch up with it.

3263454-impliedfacepalm.jpg
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited June 2014
    edited June 2014
    ZittyFanboy1.jpg

tinfoil-hat.jpg

One day your conspiracy theories might be right.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited June 2014
    tinfoil-hat.jpg

One day your conspiracy theories might be right.

U-MAD-BRO-Arnold-300x298.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just reminds me again of that moment in Modern Family when Manny's mother (who is from Colobia) has refused to permit them to look inside the box they found in the attic, and Manny wonders aloud what's inside.

LUKE: It's obvious! A locked box - from Colombia - that we're not allowed to look inside? It's gotta be a severed human head!
    MANNY: That's your first guess for everything!
    LUKE: One of these days, I'll be right!

Given that the payment is being sent to the Netherlands, and PWE is headquartered in California (a subsidiary of the Chinese company PWI), it seems much more likely that any questionable business practices belong to the payment processor, rather than to their client.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I had the same thing happen to me too. I have Bank of America. I tried to purchase a lifetime, but it was put on hold and marked as suspicious for "out-of-country" activity. I cleared the hold through their site but it remained "pending." I sent a ticket to PWE and got a response that I should just try again. I tried again last night and That worked, but I'm still slightly afraid the first attempt may still go through.
  • stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Click on Defender on top of this page. :3
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This is quite a normal thing. I started my subscription when I moved to the Netherlands, so obviously I never had this problem. But once I moved here to Australia and re-started my sub about a year ago I had this problem.....however, a quick call from the bank for them to check that I made this transaction and it was fine. And I have never had this problem buying PW stuff again.

This has nothing to do with PW "Business Practices", but more to do with the bank making sure that someone else isn't using your card details.

I have had this on a few occassions since moving here....from airline tickets to buying T-Shirts online.

As for the bank "giving" you a 30-minute window.....it's your money.....YOU tell THEM what you are spending it on, not the other way around.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Financial institutions are going to err on the side of caution these days. I get a Foreign Transaction Alert email from American Express every month because my Spotify subscription is billed through their London office. It's obviously a recurring charge, but they still alert me every time, and I can't opt out of just that transaction. It's all or nothing. (They didn't give me a runaround when I first subscribed, thankfully. Probably because that card has been with me to France, so I have a history of approved European transactions.)

So if Kojiro and Shewolf could put the memes on the ground and slowly back away...
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited June 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Given that the payment is being sent to the Netherlands, and PWE is headquartered in California (a subsidiary of the Chinese company PWI), it seems much more likely that any questionable business practices belong to the payment processor, rather than to their client.

They seem to pick a lot of those sort of companies which is my point. I first became aware of it back when I first tried buying Zen... I used their credit card option first which took me to this other company's page (I forget the name) to put in my credit card info to pay PWE so much for the Zen. My bank blocked the transaction, so I wound up using Paypal instead.

Between that and the adware infested survey sites, PWE feels a bit seedy.
  • skylygerskylyger Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This actually all dates back to this games launch day fiasco. While its never been able to be proven the satisfaction of the die hard fanbois around here, many MMO review sites and the like at the time of the launch day fiasco reported that based on surveys and polls more then 5000 people on launch day cancelled their lifetime subs and charged back the payment.

Banks keep and share lists of businesses with large charge back histories as they are a major indicator of a questionable company and banks tend to try to help watch dog them so as to avoid future issues with their banking clients.

This has almost then certainly been compounded by the oh so common issue many have reported about errors and reclicks and purchasing multiple LTS on accident and thus forcing players to call the bank to charge back the extras asap if there is a real need for the money to not be tied up as a pending charge while getting things straightened out with PWEs infamously slow and hard to get a hold of in a timely manner customer service.

So we see everytime there is a sale to help sucker in folks riding the fence about an LTS a thread like this crop up.

Now enough of wasting time on a weaksauce MMO forum and back to a quality co op sandbox game like one of the saints row games to fill my game time with true fun rather then mind numbing dull repetition on a buggy and poorly maintained/developed open beta like this game.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    skylyger wrote: »
    Doom.jpg

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's another quality post by skylyger. Did you expect anything different?
    edited June 2014
    Sky, I'm going to ask you a question that I've asked others in your position. It's a sincere question, although it's often taken as an attack:

Why are you here?

It's self-evident you don't like CO. You haven't had a single good thing to say about the game for at least the past year. Why are you wasting your time haunting the forums of a game you don't enjoy playing? It simply makes no sense to me.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    (barges into a house party uninvited, and proceeds to complain about the house, the food, the drinks, and the guests)

Might I make a suggestion? Ask Smacky or Kaizerin for a self perma-ban. It's obvious you lack the self-control necessary to stay away from a game and a company you obviously hate, so please take some initiative and ask somebody to prevent you from coming back.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited June 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Sky, I'm going to ask you a question that I've asked others in your position. It's a sincere question, although it's often taken as an attack:

Why are you here?

It's self-evident you don't like CO. You haven't had a single good thing to say about the game for at least the past year. Why are you wasting your time haunting the forums of a game you don't enjoy playing? It simply makes no sense to me.

Honestly? Well you know how some people read worthless tabloids in the morning rather then actual news? Ya thats pretty much me with MMO I wanted to be great and let me down.

You see I am probably just a good rep for those who came to the game, felt some form of disappointment and moved on. However I am then a multiplier of that feeling as I also tend to be compared to elephants when it comes to forgetting and letting things go.

I actually truly would love nothing more then to see CO reach its fullest potential. I just personally do not believe that is even marginally possible as long as cryptic has its claws in it and PWE the umbrella control factor.

Look at it this way Guild Wars 2 was the only MMO I ever saw get top praises from reviewers like angry joe after it launched but due to my contempt for NC Soft even my long time fondness for GW1 wasnt enough to let me enjoy it even a little bit due to the animosity born in me over the killing of CoX

Frankly I tend to think people here miss hear my anger so to speak and think its directed at this community and game entirely. Its not its just this games community actually knew CoX and thus is a place to bring it up from time to time and although I am sure you didnt notice but usually I am not the first in a thread that mentions CoX to be the one who did so but usually am replying to it or commenting on it from my own PoV.

On a side note I didnt see you exactly deny or argue against my initial post in this thread, is that because you have heard such things yourself even if just as rumor in your time here?

Nor is it hard to imagine that it could well have been all those charged back LTS at launch that then helped them feel forced to try to sale vibora bay to us so shortly after launch, a move that had left many going wtf was the point of subbing or an LTS if they where going to start micro transactions on new zones right out the gate.

Especially when those who had come from CoX where indeed very used to seeing entire new zones to rival and surpass the launch day ones every 3-4 months. While some got flack like Cimmorea for not having enough done with it after its release for a good long while, it also thanks to the shard red/blue TF was one of the longest lasting stable TFs for Pugging with the community without concern over being red or blue. And it got drawn into the final great era of CoHs story the coming of the god of Death itself to Dark Astoria and giving me a perfect place to RP my beloved character Bentley Berkeley's final act by using his own immortal self as wall to shield all of life from such an endless hunger and rage.

In a way I am actually very thankful to other MMOs for not being very good, because once I lost the rose tint glasses for MMO that CoH had put on me, I came to understand the old gamer mantra that MMO are always shallower versions of single player/co op games in such a general way with such a huge margin of quality between them if anything now I aspire to try and help lead others to take off those same glasses, look around, and see how many extremely enjoyable gaming experiences exist outside of the MMO spectrum.

Seriouly man I do wish CO was so damn good I couldnt live without getting a few hours in each day, but even at its best it wasnt even half that good. It was a novelty a slight change in speed from CoX but it was CoX that was the foundation stone for my love of MMOs, once it died it had a ripple effect that shattered the illusion projected by all MMOs.
    edited June 2014
    Might I make a suggestion? Ask Smacky or Kaizerin for a self perma-ban. It's obvious you lack the self-control necessary to stay away from a game and a company you obviously hate, so please take some initiative and ask somebody to prevent you from coming back.

Maybe a day will come when instead of brief breaks they feel the need to deal me a final blow. If that day comes so be it.

But I like to think its because Biff and I have one pure golden thing in common. We both think Scott Summers is by far superior to some dude with claws and a bad attitude.
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Honestly? Well you know how some people read worthless tabloids in the morning rather then actual news? Ya thats pretty much me with MMO I wanted to be great and let me down.

You see I am probably just a good rep for those who came to the game, felt some form of disappointment and moved on. However I am then a multiplier of that feeling as I also tend to be compared to elephants when it comes to forgetting and letting things go.

I actually truly would love nothing more then to see CO reach its fullest potential. I just personally do not believe that is even marginally possible as long as cryptic has its claws in it and PWE the umbrella control factor.

Look at it this way Guild Wars 2 was the only MMO I ever saw get top praises from reviewers like angry joe after it launched but due to my contempt for NC Soft even my long time fondness for GW1 wasnt enough to let me enjoy it even a little bit due to the animosity born in me over the killing of CoX

Frankly I tend to think people here miss hear my anger so to speak and think its directed at this community and game entirely. Its not its just this games community actually knew CoX and thus is a place to bring it up from time to time and although I am sure you didnt notice but usually I am not the first in a thread that mentions CoX to be the one who did so but usually am replying to it or commenting on it from my own PoV.

On a side note I didnt see you exactly deny or argue against my initial post in this thread, is that because you have heard such things yourself even if just as rumor in your time here?

Nor is it hard to imagine that it could well have been all those charged back LTS at launch that then helped them feel forced to try to sale vibora bay to us so shortly after launch, a move that had left many going wtf was the point of subbing or an LTS if they where going to start micro transactions on new zones right out the gate.

Especially when those who had come from CoX where indeed very used to seeing entire new zones to rival and surpass the launch day ones every 3-4 months. While some got flack like Cimmorea for not having enough done with it after its release for a good long while, it also thanks to the shard red/blue TF was one of the longest lasting stable TFs for Pugging with the community without concern over being red or blue. And it got drawn into the final great era of CoHs story the coming of the god of Death itself to Dark Astoria and giving me a perfect place to RP my beloved character Bentley Berkeley's final act by using his own immortal self as wall to shield all of life from such an endless hunger and rage.

In a way I am actually very thankful to other MMOs for not being very good, because once I lost the rose tint glasses for MMO that CoH had put on me, I came to understand the old gamer mantra that MMO are always shallower versions of single player/co op games in such a general way with such a huge margin of quality between them if anything now I aspire to try and help lead others to take off those same glasses, look around, and see how many extremely enjoyable gaming experiences exist outside of the MMO spectrum.

Seriouly man I do wish CO was so damn good I couldnt live without getting a few hours in each day, but even at its best it wasnt even half that good. It was a novelty a slight change in speed from CoX but it was CoX that was the foundation stone for my love of MMOs, once it died it had a ripple effect that shattered the illusion projected by all MMOs.

lolololol if you thought anybody is actually going to read all that crap. Good to have you back for a minute, enjoy your misery!
    edited June 2014
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    lolololol if you thought anybody is actually going to read all that crap. Good to have you back for a minute, enjoy your misery!

It wasn't too bad. However, after reading through that, I finally realized who skylyger is, and he was always this bat**** even on the CoH boards.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I read through all of it.
    I like CO, I never played COX, in fact never heard of it ,till Paragon studios was put into liquidation.
    Played WOW, meh
    Tried GW2, Bring.
    Played RIFT, quite good but they nerfed it for F2P
    Had to choose between Rift and CO, when I could only afford 1, I chose CO because I happen to like it.
    Been happily playing this for 3 years now.
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion,
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited June 2014
    It wasn't too bad. However, after reading through that, I finally realized who skylyger is, and he was always this bat**** even on the CoH boards.

Oh I know I wasnt too loved on the CoH boards especially the RP and Blaster sub sections, strangely got on really great in the scrapper sub section though.

For example people got rubbed raw by me on the blaster sub section because I always argued against virtually every change people wanted to make to the AT as a whole because I liked it exactly as it was and found it perfect. My only suggestion that needed to be added was more blaster secondary sets with some form of self heal no matter how minor, or more soft cc and debuff effects.

You see even as they got shunned by a huge portion of the melee AT population I knew from working with them alot that for the early years KB heavy energy blasters where the best option mostly due to the reliable soft cc of KB effects.

As time went on especially with the addition of the psi mental sets and dark sets blasters really imo got everything they needed and it wasnt exactly unheard of for the newer sets to outshine older sets by and large so it didnt seem to me as big a deal as it did to some that especially for secondaries the options for really powerful blasters had limited to a handful of options.

My Psi/Ment Bentley Berkeley was a force of nature on Virtue that lead so many PUG TFs along with my alt Demetrios Vasilikos over the years that on the last day of CoX as I stood around chatting in zone chat in AP I received literally countless tells often from players I could only at best barely recall because of the blur that had become my TF leading on a daily basis. To hear things as simple as hey thanks for that great TF that one time, it was the first I ever ran that felt fun and not a nightmare, where for me treasures I shall forever carry away from that game and my time in MMO, but thats neither here nor there really in this thread.

My original statement in the thread no matter the ones who want to label it tin foil hat conspiracy cant deny that if such a thing had indeed happened it could indeed and for the remainder of this games life and possibly beyond will make things choppy between bank and company.
    edited June 2014
    I didn't argue with any of your "points", Sky, because I didn't see any reason to - it's not like you'd read my words and suddenly a light would dawn over your head and you'd say, "You know, I've been wrong about this all along!"

I just completely fail to understand the mindset that says, "I don't like this game, so I'm going to keep basically calling all the people who do like it idiots." I mean, I tried CoX, didn't care for it (when you start off, you have to wait for powers to come off cooldown, and their equivalent to an "energy builder" for my lightning character was "punching" - if I wanted a brick, I'd have built a brick, thanks, and that turned me off the game altogether). So I didn't even bother going to their forums.

I used to play WoW, literally for years, and participated in their forums. Then shortly after the release of Cataclysm it just failed to entertain me any longer (perhaps it was the fact that I'd have to shell out yet another sixty bucks to enjoy the new content), so I left the game. Never looked back. And nobody ever saw me on those forums again - if the game still entertains them, that's great for them, and I wish them the best of luck. I moved on.

I can't understand, if someone doesn't like CO (or STO, or NW which I never cared for in the first place, a fact which disappointed me - I wanted to like it, but that control scheme is a showstopper for me), why they don't just move on. There are lots of other ways to waste your time, and some might involve less of that unpleasant spewing of bile, you know?

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This actually all dates back to this games launch day fiasco. While its never been able to be proven the satisfaction of the die hard fanbois around here, many MMO review sites and the like at the time of the launch day fiasco reported that based on surveys and polls more then 5000 people on launch day cancelled their lifetime subs and charged back the payment.

I'm going to call you out on this and ask for a source, because I did a google search using all the keywords I can think of, and only a single forum poll on mmorpg.com turned up, but that poll was made before launch day. The poll doesn't even have to do with cancellations, just opinions of whether lifetime subscription is worth it or not. There doesn't seem to be "many" MMO review sites that have such polls like you mentioned and no "more than 5000 people" statistic could be found.

It's one thing to have a negative opinion of the game, but it's another to fabricate data and use BS to support your claims.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I was going to say 'you should thank your bank!' but it looks like the LTS went through.

Bummer, dude. :/
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?