test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The reason why a character would be resistant/immune to power dampeners:

gradiigradii Posts: 11,716 Arc User
Not because of godmodding.

Not because of OPness.

Because the very idea that power dampeners are a readily avaliable tech negates the games setting.

This is why I chose to have power dampeners not affect my main character, and why many of my characters are resistant to some extent.

Be a little more creative in RP than "oh you cant use your powers here because THE SAME THING AS LAST TIME! and the time before that and before that. and before that. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Post edited by gradii on

Comments

• Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Something/someone complain about you again?
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In PnP, they would be dispel/drain power.
    They have to roll OVER your power point cost.

so if your power is 60 pts and they roll 20, they only cancel 20 pts of it.
    I can't remember if resistant defenses count against dispels but they do still have to beat any defenses you have against that.
    some you actually have to get the total amount to have ANY effect.

Elemental pools- all the same type of power linked together, they onl;y have to cancel the main part, since they are all linked
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    alexandrafreyaalexandrafreya Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am really not sure of PnP on Champions Online...but the way I see it would be based on CC resistance?...That's more of a MMO view on things I guess and not really based on RP...but since the "affect" is meant of RPing reasons I guess Stats play no part there maybe??

In any case Power Dampening sounds like CC to me and I know it's not really working that well but High Presence characters to have CC Resistance..so...That's how I see it really.

Alexnadra
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Only power dampeners I care for is the ignore button. It's the true ultimate attack against any villain or idiot.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am really not sure of PnP on Champions Online...but the way I see it would be based on CC resistance?...That's more of a MMO view on things I guess and not really based on RP...but since the "affect" is meant of RPing reasons I guess Stats play no part there maybe??

In any case Power Dampening sounds like CC to me and I know it's not really working that well but High Presence characters to have CC Resistance..so...That's how I see it really.

Alexnadra

Well the thing about power dampeners is that, it's not the only thing out there to apprehend super powered individuals.

Look at Menton as one example, he's too powerful for power dampeners to fully suppress so he is kept (or at least was at one point, kept in Hot Sleep, a comatose state in order to deal with him.

So it is fair and most likely correct to say that whilst power dampeners may not fully suppress the abilities of a superhuman, it will have some level of effect.

'Stronghold Cells are defined using the Suppress Power (and draw their END from the prison’s generators), but they may not literally stop various other Powers from working. Instead they can simply make such powers useless for purposes of escaping from the cell. For example, the Anti-Alteration Cell doesn’t make it impossible for the cell’s occupant to use Shrinking — it just surrounds the entire cell with an interior force-field that a Shrunken character can’t find any holes in to walk through.' (Taken from Champions Universe book)

So in reality, Power Dampeners do just that. They Dampen, they do not stop or remove power access. They simply make it harder to utilize powers for escape.

There are individuals who are so strong that such measures will not contain them, which is why hot sleep and the like are around.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    well, my character could qualify for that but the reason they dont work on her is more complicated, her powers manifest differently from the vast majority of superhumans.

but see the text in yellow, I don't like it when power dampeners are overused in RP, hence I did this.

trying to force a bit of creativity when a plot calls for something which can neutralize my character.

There are cells which are dimensionally grounded to stop dimensional manipulation and warded cells for magical inmates.

Power Dampeners can only work on one thing they are tuned to, so perhaps your claim that they flat out don't work is what is causing you a problem.

Simply because they will work, regardless of if a person was, born with them, imbued by a godly entity, imbued in any other sense (including magical and genetic manipulation), mutation based etc. It may not be a full or powerful enough effect but there will be some effect.

If you are regularly in an RP where someone is utilizing power dampening technology against you or trying to there are several things to consider:

- You are either in Stronghold or the Guardhouse

- Someone is taking Club Caprice very seriously in terms of power dampening technology there.

- This is an RP you would probably like to stay out of or flat out leave, if it is causing you so much of an issue.

Unless you are the aggressor or being captured by a tech savvy super villain with a vast supply of resources granting access to such technology (which is considered the latest tech), I can't see the sense behind Average Joe/Jane walking up to another person and applying power suppressors.

If you are in Caprice, which from the OP it sounds like you are or were when you encounter this issue (most likely every other time you go there from the sound of things) simply refrain from using your powers or don't go there.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2014
    drgmstr wrote: »
    Only power dampeners I care for is the ignore button. It's the true ultimate attack against any villain or idiot.
    ^This.

I doubt places like the Caprice even have power dampeners, in-universe.

They're called upon in RP because dumb players who knows no better than RP fights and villains in normal clubs where there shouldn't be any.
    The same issue can be solved by simply ignoring idiots.

In-universe Caprice most likely is just an ordinary club filled with less than ordinary patrons. Things like expensive supertech employed in places like the Stronghold probably aren't even needed there.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Her powers are VERY complex and aren't even entirely innate.

May be you ought to first define to yourself, specifically the complex nature of her powers. Once you've done this you can then logically determine the exact effect such devices would have.

That being said, I wouldn't take someone seriously if they were walking into a super hero populated city and places of super individual interest with high tech power suppressers, largely because I cant see power suppression being brought up in normal conversation, and if they are, there is an issue.

honestly at the end of the day I don't care what arguments are made why they should work because I did this as a countermeasure to the overused godmoding which are power dampeners.

overusing this (and its inevitable it will be overused) IS godmoding. if someone wants to neutralize my character I'm ok with that, but FFS be more original than the 8 year old demon lords in caprice.

I can't believe I'm going into this, but I'll bite.

If you don't care, why on earth did you start this topic? Surely you knew or at least had an idea that people would present facts to you or at least attempt to reason with you based on lore knowledge?

You've successfully dragged this topic from Fan Base Alpha to here. Just let it go. If you don't want to encounter issues with power usage simply don't flaunt power or make it a large topic of discussion, because clearly you are not "okay" with it because you've had to post about it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    A while back I enquired about Stronghold Containment Facilities and was given very good answers. So perhaps looking here will give people an idea of what Stronghold and it's associated power disruptors/dampeners/suppressors/cells etc do.

>>Here<<
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    To be quite honest I never heard of these so called dampeners until just last week in another thread. All this time I have been playing my characters in the club restricted of their powers (if they have any) but not restricted powers that is a form of transportation. Some characters I have, for instance, my anubian jackal has been known to heal people while in Caprice. Though I reduced the power greatly while inside so she doesn't cause a scene nor would I god mod a wound that the other player had planned to keep or was not effected by magical properties. Seems I was doing it right the entire time while inside there :biggrin:

"Embrace your dreams"

• Options
    edited June 2014
    To be quite honest I never heard of these so called dampeners until just last week in another thread. All this time I have been playing my characters in the club restricted of their powers (if they have any) but not restricted powers that is a form of transportation. Some characters I have, for instance, my anubian jackal has been known to heal people while in Caprice. Though I reduced the power greatly while inside so she doesn't cause a scene nor would I god mod a wound that the other player had planned to keep or was not effected by magical properties. Seems I was doing it right the entire time while inside there :biggrin:

I tend to view the club as exactly that on the rare occasion I go in with someone like Mentella.

I've come in there to observe and socialize if I so desire, not to RP fights with people who are mad at trivial matters and project their issues onto me, nor fight "gods".

Note: I'm not saying that all RP fights are like this, some are planned out and work well to both parties credit, but I personally try to avoid such things due to ample experience.
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Sometimes it is necessary for a story that a character cannot simply hulk smash their way through everything...this sort of thing is plot breaking and can ruin a lot of the atmosphere in a scene almost instantly...what is rp if not communal storytelling? Often cooperation requires some flexibility and compromises for the sake of the whole. Never say never...you just end up painting yourself into a corner. If you are not interested in the concepts and ideas other people can bring than you are better off writing fiction in prose.

Inflexibility is an rp killer.
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Okay.. this is from my SG's article on Power Suppressors

Power Dampeners exist in CO in a way that they don't necessarily in Champion's PnP;

The only place you regularly run into them is in Stronghold or MCPD's prison

Now the way they seem to work in CO can be inferred from how they show up and whom they are used on in game;
    Power Suppressors exist in the game for a lot of reasons, but mostly so that it's actually feasible to imprison supervillains.

The primary place you find suppressors in CO is Stronghold.

In the game the NPCs talk about a Suppression System and inside and outside you will encounter large devices that are clearly high tech boxes that are individual Suppressors.

While inside the prison part can be salvaged from some suppressors and at the end fight they can be used to K.O. or stun hostile mobs. This game function is slightly at odd with the Suppressors supposed function but it's not a big deal.

Also in the main world and in Resistance there is a sequence in the Millennium City prison dealing with the Suppressors.

Observations-

In all cases the Suppressors don't prevent people from acting but do hold back their powers until they are inevitably broken.

The prisoners come in all shapes, sizes, power levels and power types [with one exception, see below] and they all seem to be affected to reduce them to nearly human levels to be manageable by the guards.

Technology based prisoners such as the Black Talon pilot are of course relived of their equipment.

The Notable Exceptions are non-living entities; demons, undead and robots are almost never featured as prisoners. Since these aren't legally 'human' they we can assume they are banished, destroyed or dismantled as the case may dictate.

In both Earth and Multifaria the guards use high tech equipment such as power armor and robots to secure the prisoners. Powered people don't enter the areas normally suppressed until -after- the suppression system is down or are low powered enough to not be affected.

Conclusions-

It appears that the Suppression systems most commonly used in CO do not affect high tech.

Super Tech also seems to be largely unaffected. The best example is the Destroyer bots used by the Multifarian Prison and the Primus Power armor used on Earth's prisons.

On Earth it is possible the Primus Power armor is either hardened against it or too low tech to be affected. Although power armor being 'low tech' is hard to swallow, even the relatively primitive armor used by Untill and Primus.

However, the Destroids are not. While players are used to defeating them easily they are in universe cannon made by 'the most advanced robotics known'. Yes, Destroids are more advanced that even Mechanon. Although it's clear Destroyer goes for quantitative over quality. The fact that he can pump armies of them out from a secret factory for decades, might be the reason. In any case, they qualify as Super Tech.

So Super Tech still works under suppressors.

Why? Well that's next..

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Part two ---
    How Suppressors Work -

Well before we talk about how and why suppressors might work we need to know why superpowers work.

As mentioned in the 'brief history of Superhumans';
    Seeking a magical weapon to use against Germany’s enemies before her armies commenced their march across Europe, the sorcerers gathered in a mountain redoubt on May 1st and performed several powerful occult rituals. But their spells did not have the outcome they expected. Instead of leading them to artifacts that would satisfy their masters, the arcane energies they released somehow enhanced, or perhaps unleashed, the latent elasticity of the physics underlying all reality set tight after the Ban against the gods of myth. thus making the creation of true superhumans possible.

There are a lot of logical problems with this bit of lore but for the sake of brevity, we'll go with this are our reasoning.

This means that the elasticity of physics makes superhuman possible. As people have noted, this means that even Super Science depends in part of the 'rubber-ization' of physics via magic but Super Science isn't magic.* Niether are mutant powers, nor are alien physiology and so on.

The De-Rubber-izing.

It's a safe bet that Power Suppressors work by re-enforcing the 'normal' laws of physics. That they do it via Super Tech would explain why they don't work on Super Tech, they'd turn themselves off in a poof of ill-logic.

This means that while we don't seem them use against Undead and Demons, they should work against them. And in the case of demons or other magical creature wholly depended on the magic to exist it might banish or kill them [in some mythologies that's the same thing, i.e. - they go home]

It does mean the typical Super Tech villain or Robot will not.

Use and Abuse-

[OOC]

Obviously power suppressors are powerful equalizers. They reduce most superhumans to human or nearly so. But they also take out a large part of someone's ability to act as a Super. In a Superhero game, that's a Caution Flag if I ever saw one.

These devices have to exist in game or we'd never get anyone into jail. They're a genre necessity.

Fortunately most of them are big, bulky and not cheap. Oh sure Primus has a lot of them as does MCPD. Notice they don't deploy them willy nilly. Given the stakes of the in game world and the lives at risk they have to have a good reason.

IC it has to be cost and portability. Even Shadow Destroyer, who presumably has all the wealth he could ask for only stock his prison with them.

There are portable ones, we see them occasionally in the PnP game and perhaps in CO once or twice. They can't be cheap or easy to make or they're be more.

OOC we know why, they'd make heroes unnecessary, mostly.

That said they can be handy. As a playing-field leveler they can't be beat, especially if you cheat and make one work on Super Science too. And lets face it it'd be uncool for the Tech Heroes to leave everyone else in the dust.

However I have to strongly suggest against their use more than once in a blue moon.

Now the de-rubberizing of physics means that the powers suppressors -should- work on anyone except for robots and other high tech stuff.

This would explain one thing about Caprice's bouncers. You'd have to have bouncers that could cope with suppressed supers but not have them also suppressed. So cyborgs.

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I don't hate anyone.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    What I meant is, Power Supressors, are used to stop "Godmoding" but when you use the same thing in your plots and keep saying "oh no cant actually use your powers again haha"

YOU become the one who is godmoding.

This is a Superhero setting. power negators need to stay in stronghold and only stronghold where they belong.

if you want to neutralize a hero in a plot use your head.

It has actually never come up in any rp I have ever attempted...but sure, I agree that they should be restricted to very specialized enviroments.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Oh, if I wasn't being clear, they'll have an effect on my character. but her powers would still be usable.

however it would bring down the level she can safely use normally. (her powers increase the more she strains, power supressors would merely make it more difficult.)

Read my above yellow text. I have reasons for doing this.

As far as I'm concerned for RP portable power supression tech either does not exist or is so rare its almost unheard of for someone to get their hands on it.

it negates the entire setting and shouldn't have ever been made part of the original lore.

Trouble is power suppressors in cannon work on everyone but high tech stuff. If you want to RP that way, I can't stop you.

However
    you do have a valid complaint

Broad effect Suppressors are necessary to allow super humans to be arrested. However, like I outlined in the posts above they're big, bulky and not at all portable normally.

Portable ones [as far as I know] have to be attached to the person in question; one can safely assume you have to be defeated -first-.

I kid you not, in Champions universe there's a picture of Grond in court. Now I don't know if that's cannon but he's noticeable smaller and contained in the witness stand.

In Co portable units are only alluded to [as far as I know] and have to be used on someone who's already out.

Not once do we see a portable unit that can be pointed at someone and -zap- no more powers. Not even world conquering super-villains like Dr Destroyer have that.

If someone says 'oh I have a portable power suppressor that affects all powers.. well that's a problem; hell that's power gaming.

Now there can be portable power suppressors for very narrow types of powers and they varry in effectiveness;
    Other Suppression Methods-

Most sources of superpowers have methods specific to suppress or get rid of the powers in their general classifications.

Anti-magic Spells for Magic

EMP or Disruption Fields for Tech

Psionic Suppressors for Psi powers*

Mutant power Cancelling powers or devices for mutants

Also Suppression effects can work on a class of what Champions PnP calls a 'special effect'.

The classic example is Fire and the Fire extinguisher.

Unless there is a good reason otherwise, a Fire Extinguisher works on fire regardless of wither it's a mutant power, made by a flame thrower or a magic spell. How much it puts out is another matter.. I mean be real, you know what a Fire Extinguisher can manage.

A lighting rod could ground a lighting strike from a EletroMan, a Shock Gun or a Mysterio's Magical Thunderbolt.

And certainly a fire set off by either power should be put out by an extinguisher.

That's not to say it works regardless of intensity, but without regard to source. Most superhero level attacks would soon overwhelm a flame thrower or a lighting rod. It's fire after all right?

Well not always; but that base assumption means that the effect and the source are not the same.

Sometimes putting out HellFire or Expanding-Plasma; that can't be done in by the trusty fire extinguisher but that should be the exception, not the rule.

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    first off, Power suppressors cant fully suppress extremely powerful beings like Menton and my character.

Sure they can, they have to. Bear with me..

Otherwise they'd have never gotten Menton in there in the first place. [Lets not get into how wrong they got Menton in CO, that's another story].

Here's the problem;

We know Menton used his power while in Hotsleep to get out. Therefore he can use his powers while unconscious or semi-conscious [that's what hot sleep is after all]

However- Menton was defeated at some point and then put in there.

So I believe it had to go like this...

1- Menton was totally KO'd in battle.

2- A personal suppressor was put on him [this nix'd his powers completely]

3- He was taken to Stronghold and the personal suppressor was removed, while he was under the general suppressor.

4- Still out of it and unused to the suppressors, he got put in hot sleep.

5- After sometime in hot sleep he figured out how to influence others outside [he's just that good]

Now we get to a little know mission called- Begone Mental
    Begone Mental

Mission Brief

ARGENT was determined to get those Hot Sleep redesigns out of me, and I don't think I would have been able to hold out much longer! Thank goodness you arrived when you did

One guy in particular, Supervisor Guillory, seems determined to use this government contract to help Stronghold Prisoners escape. He's overseeing this operation-he's the guy that got the contract in the first place.He's not going to stop what he's doing until somebody stops him... and I'm afraid that somebody needs to be you.

Objectives

Defeat Supervisor Guillory
    Return to Michael Scott Beck
    Mission Updates

Menton

You've defeated my mind-controlled pawn, <Hero>. You will regret interfering in the affairs of the mighty Menton.

Confined in Stronghold I'm only able to communicate with you via this crude mental projection. My shackles may keep me from harming you*, but one day I will be free of them, fool. And on that day, my first order of business will be to DESTROY you!

So it seems he got out via inside help.. err outside help.. wait.. yea..

Anyway- he went from class 5 to like class 1 to use your framework.

But that was under the effect of the general or wide area suppressors.

Also It's fair to assume he had to take a lot of time and effort to learn how to get past them anyway [there's an implication Menton had been there for a while; from the above mission and other text]

If he was able to do the same thing under the influence of a personal suppressor.. well he'd never have been captured.

and my main isn't actually technically a mutant, psionic, mage, or tech user. closest to mutant, but its pretty different from conventional "mutants"

How the powers are used is generally irrelevant to whether or not suppressors effect them.

All that aside

Your primary gripe seems to be with people who somehow have portable broad spectrum suppressors that they can use on someone without defeating them or something like that.

That is weapons grade bull backside product.

*Edit- Notice this part?

Later on when you go to stronghold one of the quest givers says she -has- to shield you from Menton.

But here he owns up and says he can't hurt you [no implied shielding here].

This can only mean that Guillory was someone he'd already conditioned to obey him without the need ot use forced mind control. That's how weak the greatest telepath on earth was under the general area supressors. He'd been reduced to Caspar the unfriendly ghost.

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thats pretty much the end of the story. Due to how suppressors are overused in RP regardless of the points about the tech being difficult and rare you brought up, this is how it is and this is cannon as far as I'm ever concerned.

Surprisingly I have never seen a RP use these suppressors once to prevent anyone to use their powers, and I RP on a daily basis and witness a lot of RP in my time in CO. In fact, I am sure 99% of the RPers out there don't even know they exist and continue to RP abusing their powers normally even if they did know it was in effect.

"Embrace your dreams"

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Surprisingly I have never seen a RP use these suppressors once to prevent anyone to use their powers, and I RP on a daily basis and witness a lot of RP in my time in CO. In fact, I am sure 99% of the RPers out there don't even know they exist and continue to RP abusing their powers normally even if they did know it was in effect.

I don't see them often either but we do use them. We being my RPSG;

They usualy come up in relation to the base. The base has two uses for them;

Security- so we can hold supervillains* before sending them off to MCPD or Primus

Medical- Some powers or power effects can be held back so a person's life can be saved or so we can treat a villain before sending them to the MCPD or Primus.

*we also have them in the base to prevent villain invasion plots. It got so bad for a while with people using their villains to invade the base that no one felt safe there IC. We put the kibosh on that. The suppressor system was one way to do so.

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Honestly I kinda figure most of the people that would even merit people randomly pulling them out of their back pocket are propaly not the type that would "let" dampers work anyhow and be more likley to respond to them by going

"Bwahahaha your pituful mortal tech cannot effect Murder-Lord Blood Shadow, ArcDuke of Hell! *Murder-Lord contiues to use his blood sorcery to devower the souls of the Caprice NPCs and tears up one of the lounges collums like a child playing with a small stick* COWER MORTALS COOOOWER"

but that's just from the random stuff I see in Caprice, so probaly dosn't quite count
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If you want to RP that way, I can't stop you.

This^

Have fun.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    An attempted explanation on how and why the tech in places like stronghold actually functions is not an attack against you or your character. No one is saying you can't, they are only providing examples of why it works on established characters whose powers and abilities are well known.

You need to stop being so hostile, it's really quite unpleasant. No one is being shallow or elitist here, no need to call people names. Take a deep breath and calm down.
  • Options
    alexandrafreyaalexandrafreya Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well the thing about power dampeners is that, it's not the only thing out there to apprehend super powered individuals.

Look at Menton as one example, he's too powerful for power dampeners to fully suppress so he is kept (or at least was at one point, kept in Hot Sleep, a comatose state in order to deal with him.

So it is fair and most likely correct to say that whilst power dampeners may not fully suppress the abilities of a superhuman, it will have some level of effect.

'Stronghold Cells are defined using the Suppress Power (and draw their END from the prison’s generators), but they may not literally stop various other Powers from working. Instead they can simply make such powers useless for purposes of escaping from the cell. For example, the Anti-Alteration Cell doesn’t make it impossible for the cell’s occupant to use Shrinking — it just surrounds the entire cell with an interior force-field that a Shrunken character can’t find any holes in to walk through.' (Taken from Champions Universe book)

So in reality, Power Dampeners do just that. They Dampen, they do not stop or remove power access. They simply make it harder to utilize powers for escape.

There are individuals who are so strong that such measures will not contain them, which is why hot sleep and the like are around.

So...in a sense they are like Trauma Debuff only on a more...larger scale...deducing all stats and damage and such?....I think I can understand that idea....

If They dampen a hero's strength (700 base) by 90% he is still sitting at 70 Strength.

I still think the idea CC resistance could grand some level of protection maybe..of course I guess it depends really on the Dampers itself? CC Resistance can't stop outside stuff affecting you, such as a shield...but the club isn't meant like that right?

I think I it all a matter of the dampers themselves, can't stop something until there is something to stop I guess

Even then of course I am getting there is a large number of different dampers for different affect...so even stopping or resisting the affects of one doesn't mean you can resistance them all

Thank you for Explaining :)

Alexanadra
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    But the WHOLE IDEA here is my character is unlike any before seen in the champions universe.

Her, and a couple direct clone copies made by V'han a year after her birth, are the ONLY people alive with powers which work that way.

To that end everyone here is completely ignoring that and insisting I have her work the same way normal characters do.

I have over 50 other characters who's powers work the normal way. thats enough for me quite frankly.

theres NOTHING WRONG with being different.

Sure there is, if you use that as an excuse to break the cannon conventions of the game. I understand wanting to be a unique character but begin a special flower immune or an exception to to the normal rules of the game and cannon? It's kinda mary sue-ish.

But what ever floats your boat.

All in all this has been a full little thread. It's been a while since I had to dig around in the CO lore so deep ^^

Thanks.

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Sure they can, they have to. Bear with me..

Otherwise they'd have never gotten Menton in there in the first place. [Lets not get into how wrong they got Menton in CO, that's another story].

Here's the problem;

We know Menton used his power while in Hotsleep to get out. Therefore he can use his powers while unconscious or semi-conscious [that's what hot sleep is after all]

However- Menton was defeated at some point and then put in there.

So I believe it had to go like this...

1- Menton was totally KO'd in battle.

2- A personal suppressor was put on him [this nix'd his powers completely]

3- He was taken to Stronghold and the personal suppressor was removed, while he was under the general suppressor.

4- Still out of it and unused to the suppressors, he got put in hot sleep.

5- After sometime in hot sleep he figured out how to influence others outside [he's just that good]

Now we get to a little know mission called- Begone Mental

Menton was not "totally KO'd in battle" in the sense of a physical knockout. It was a lucky shot which was aimed at his head, which hit him, didn't kill him due to his psychokinetic barrier. (this was during his time of attempting to and succeeding in ruling an entire nation)

It left him in a comatose state which allowed them to put him directly in Hot Sleep. He was put in directly because of the scale of both his psychokinetic and telepathic abilities, classing him as the most powerful human telepath, and no other mentalist in stronghold at the time seemed to be capable of such a feat so he was most likely insta plopped in Hot Sleep.

It wasn't until there was a random and mysterious malfunction that he was able to escape.

It was never actually defined who or what caused this, but it sure as hell wasn't Dr. Destroyer or most other big super villains because they fear him. (This fact opens up his escape to be interpreted and used in a variety of ways for RP purposes or GM purposes).

Menton himself doesn't know or care how he was able to have been freed but within minutes of being awake he took over every single mind in the area of Devil's Mesa (as we see in game).

As for Begone Mental, that mission as you've shown there, seems to suggest that he was not already out of Hot Sleep. Since the whole point of his interference was to gaining information on Hot Sleep re-designs in order to perhaps escape.

Since his later escape and control of Devil's Mesa was never pinned down, you could view it as he already had information he needed perhaps to find a way to circumvent the hot sleep and escape based on the information he already had.

Also remember that under the effect of the "Super Suppressors" which were active, he was still strong enough to fight the SPARC team and generate psychokinetic underlings to fight you as well as maintain a shield around himself and the team (unless that was meant to be a suppression field, in which case, it just goes to show that someone like Menton can become acclimatised to Suppression very quickly and continue to deal.)

It's really swings and roundabouts when it comes to topics like this. But I maintain my stance that if someone came up to any my characters with a suppression device I'd either break it ICly or tell them where to shove it. Because if such technology was readily available, it would eliminate the need for super heroes.

Why have heroes flying around and creating collateral dmg when we can build a global suppression device to suppress all powers etc?

So for that reason one has to assume that not only would it be a piss poor subject to bring up into RP, but unless someone teleported you to Stronghold or The Guardhouse or a facility or area with dedicated power suppression units I cannot see it having a place or coming up in RP, at least not legitimately.

Menton's the type to use suggestions and little pushes in order to express his influence and like most sensible mentalist they avoid direct conflict where possible.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2014
    It was never actually defined who or what caused this, but it sure as hell wasn't Dr. Destroyer or most other big super villains because they fear him.
    Doubtful if in reality every master villain is soo dead scared of former Dr. D underling. The one who was disabled by sniper shooter, to boot...

Thunderbird could get gim, in right circumstances.

As for RP, telepaths are probably the most godmoded type of supers. Rarely accepting that someone can just shrug-off their powers with force of will. Because telepathy*).

* - if I were making badass normal for CO PnP, I'd buy mental defenses with points, as superpowers.
    But only to write their explanation into character sheet as a completely non-superpowered extremely strong will. XD
This discussion has been closed.