test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

LTS on sale - 33% off

selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
Along with 3 and 6-month subs.

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/champions-online/detail/5007543

I take it this is the first time LTS has ever been on sale?

I'm undecided though. Recent dev work gives the impression that the outlook is optimistic as far as support goes, but the game itself is old and I have doubts about whether lockbox monetization is sustainable in the long run - the boxes aren't offering anything really new anymore.

Personally, it'd be worth it if 14 months down the road, the game hasn't croaked yet, but I am really not sure about that. Then again there's more than 2 weeks to decide.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Given that when LTS went on sale the first time over in STO they dropped a nice update for the game, I continue to be optimistic and believe that's what they are trying to do here. Help garner interest and attention for when they do drop their announcement they are not telling us.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I got my LTS at the beginning of 2012, so about a year and a half ago.

I am now up to 59 FF/character slots (49 characters, 32 Lvl40s). When I was considering buying LTS I looked at it in terms of purely the FF slots alone.

so now 59 x $50 would be $2950, almost 10x the cost of LTS (full price)
    Even if I had got the FF slots during the sale that would still be $1475.

Everything else you get for LTS is then simply a bonus - and a nice bonus it is. Plus my value for money is still increasing as far as I am concerned as i get a new FF slots every time i hit 40.

So if you have altitis (or think it is a condition you could be a carrier for) then taking advantage of the sale is a no brainer.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Given that when LTS went on sale the first time over in STO they dropped a nice update for the game, I continue to be optimistic and believe that's what they are trying to do here. Help garner interest and attention for when they do drop their announcement they are not telling us.

Yea I have a feeling there's been a bit of a fundraiser round here, what with FF slots on sale, new costumes, TWO new lockboxes in two consecutive months and now a subscription sale.

There will probably be something big soon. My question is what happens after that? CO is Cryptic's avant garde foray into F2P, and lessons from monetizing CO were built upon in STO, and then NWO.

But that also means CO is arguably not monetized as effectively as its younger counterparts, which means the revenue might dry up and then we go into another maintenance mode drought.

I like the game but so far my subbed months to total months ratio has been roughly 1:3, because new stuff to do comes in around once every quarter - there was Rampages in February, then Foxbat in April, but after that there's been very little reason to bring out my Gold slot alts.

So it really isn't about whether I like alts - I have alts! But is there a good reason to bring them out? As trailturtle said, don't expect big content, but if there can be a new mission every month, around the scale of Warlord, that's somehow worth running, i.e. it has a big drop like LemInv's Tsunami, Warlord's DU, Hi-Pan's Eyes rather than just a measly 500Q on a 1-day cooldown, that'd be good enough. But is that reasonable to expect?
    edited June 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    Yea I have a feeling there's been a bit of a fundraiser round here, what with FF slots on sale, new costumes, TWO new lockboxes in two consecutive months and now a subscription sale
    There's been more than that. Each month they've had at least one new costume set in the C-Store since February at least, not including lockbox costumes and several free costume variants. This also doesn't include the fact they've released the aura system and have been updating that as well as the new Rampages, even if some people don't like it as it is.

Furthermore, I doubt they wouldn't have put lifetime subs on the market if the game was in danger of shutting down. This is an up sign not a down sign unlike the last few sales that didn't include the lifetime sub.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hoping I can scrape together two hundred by the end of the month - I got Spider-Bat to 40 today, so as I understand it that means I'll get two extra slots for going LTS (one for him, and one for Happifun Security System X-4).

If not, well, I've got some backup plans in case I have to pay full price...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Hoping I can scrape together two hundred by the end of the month - I got Spider-Bat to 40 today, so as I understand it that means I'll get two extra slots for going LTS (one for him, and one for Happifun Security System X-4).

If not, well, I've got some backup plans in case I have to pay full price...

Slots are retroactively given for existing 40s ;D
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited June 2014

This is exactly what happened for STO to get that swift kick in the butt and move production into overdrive.

This is a very good sign.
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

Don't Lifetimers get +8 character slots right off the bat by just going lifetime?
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yup. We do.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    Don't Lifetimers get +8 character slots right off the bat by just going lifetime?
    From my POV, as I'm Silver, that's +14 (six more for Gold, plus 8 for LTS). Plus another two for my 40s. Plus my current slots - I've bought a few - means a lot of character possibiities... :)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Woot!

Lifetime sub is finally on-sale. :biggrin:

Cha-ching for Cryptic! My money is on the way! :smile:
    edited June 2014
    Goodness, I already have 1 page of empty slots ._.
  • serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    somebob wrote: »

And since lifetime gives all 1000 days of vet rewards up front last I checked, if you haven't reached 200 days subbed yet you get the slot that comes with that tier immediately as well.

I was already planning on trying to swing lifetime later this month, but now with this news I need to figure out if I can pull enough funds together to set my wife and sister up with it as well. They are enthusiastic about the possibility...
    edited June 2014
    The biggest thing about LTS I'm curious about is the VIP lounge :x
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It took them THIS long to finally put LTS back on sale? A little late to the party PWE, but atleast we're getting somewhere now.
    edited June 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    The biggest thing about LTS I'm curious about is the VIP lounge :x

You get access after subbing 400 Days also.

400 Days

Valiant Title
    FREE Full Retcon Token
    FREE Access To Club Caprice VIP Room (with associated benefits)
    FREE Costume Pieces - Epic Revelation Armor (shoulders, bracers, neck, chest, boots) (1, 2)
    A 12.5% Experience Boost Until Level 15
    FREE Heroic Resonance

:wink:
  • kirsroskirsros Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The biggest thing I'm worried about this is that they're increasing their value by getting a bigger consumer base. Not like that's a bad thing, but it shows that cryptic is struggling.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kirsros wrote: »
    The biggest thing I'm worried about this is that they're increasing their value by getting a bigger consumer base. Not like that's a bad thing, but it shows that cryptic is struggling.

At the moment, NWO seems to be doing well, and STO is going gangbusters. Cryptic is doing pretty good for itself. I suspect it's probably doing as well or better than at any time in its history since the halcyon early days of CoH.

My guess would be that Cryptic and the current devs want a quick influx of cash to add bodies to the team to complete a major piece of (yet unannounced) content. Which would be the best news we've had on this title in a very, very long time. As Buxom indicated, STO did this awhile back, and it paid off for them in a big way. Here's hoping. :)
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • kaosarcannakaosarcanna Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    At the moment, NWO seems to be doing well, and STO is going gangbusters. Cryptic is doing pretty good for itself. I suspect it's probably doing as well or better than at any time in its history since the halcyon early days of CoH.

My guess would be that Cryptic and the current devs want a quick influx of cash to add bodies to the team to complete a major piece of (yet unannounced) content. Which would be the best news we've had on this title in a very, very long time. As Buxom indicated, STO did this awhile back, and it paid off for them in a big way. Here's hoping. :)

I think there's buzz in the air that SOMETHING is coming. It definitely feels to me that the game is getting more content than it was when I started playing around 08/12.

I can't quite imagine what would be considered major content if both a new zone and the Foundry are off the table, though. Maybe a new Adventure Pack?
    edited June 2014
    I think there's buzz in the air that SOMETHING is coming. It definitely feels to me that the game is getting more content than it was when I started playing around 08/12.

I can't quite imagine what would be considered major content if both a new zone and the Foundry are off the table, though. Maybe a new Adventure Pack?

Who said they were? I mean seriously no one ever said those were off the table, well except the plebians who think this game is dead and the devs abandoned it or there is no dev team except the janitor and the guy who feeds the hamster.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Flip a coin or do a dice roll. It's super effective for making decisions.

1 / heads = buy
    2 / tails = don't buy

The VIP lounge is uninteresting. It was useful for the transport card, but with TP to RenCen devices being superior, completely useless now. You do get a special Foxbat AF though. Golden one? And you can buy pots with globals... I think. Yeah, I don't go there often. You could try breaking in with a TP to Teammate device. I have no idea if it works there.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You can also get a complete star refill from talking to the reporter lady.
    sterga wrote: »

1 / heads = buy
    2 / tails = don't buy

The VIP lounge is uninteresting. It was useful for the transport card, but with TP to RenCen devices being superior, completely useless now. You do get a special Foxbat AF though. Golden one? And you can buy pots with globals... I think. Yeah, I don't go there often. You could try breaking in with a TP to Teammate device. I have no idea if it works there.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited June 2014

1 / heads = buy
    2 / tails = don't buy

Let's see, gold star refill, access to banks, nemesis auction house and everything in private, oh and special potions as well. But whoa re we kidding people think potions are dirty and don't count as heals.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited June 2014
    Who said they were? I mean seriously no one ever said those were off the table, well except the plebians who think this game is dead and the devs abandoned it or there is no dev team except the janitor and the guy who feeds the hamster.

Traiturtle in the past has said that a new zone for CO isn't happening. I haven't read a Dev directly saying that the Foundry isn't possible for CO, but I've read channel comments to the effect that CO getting a Foundry would require resources it doesn't have.
    edited June 2014
    Traiturtle in the past has said that a new zone for CO isn't happening. I haven't read a Dev directly saying that the Foundry isn't possible for CO, but I've read channel comments to the effect that CO getting a Foundry would require resources it doesn't have.

Resources it didn't have, and if TT said a new zone isn't possible he was probably also refering to the state of the game at that moment. Since it's obvious CO is now getting resources, a new zone is not off the table, nor is the Foundry.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited June 2014
    Resources it didn't have, and if TT said a new zone isn't possible he was probably also refering to the state of the game at that moment. Since it's obvious CO is now getting resources, a new zone is not off the table, nor is the Foundry.

Believe me, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. :D
    edited June 2014
    Let's see, gold star refill, access to banks, nemesis auction house and everything in private, oh and special potions as well. But whoa re we kidding people think potions are dirty and don't count as heals.

Yes, so amazing that it's always empty every time I go there. I said it was uninteresting not that it was useless. Don't you have anything better to do than complain about everything I type? I guess we all need hobbies, right?
    edited June 2014
    Yes, so amazing that it's always empty every time I go there. I said it was uninteresting not that it was useless. Don't you have anything better to do than complain about everything I type? I guess we all need hobbies, right?

Oh noes, people don't spend their gaming lives hanging out in a special lounge, even if they might be using it. STOP THE PRESSES!
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited June 2014

Well it was just two weeks ago that TT said no new zones / level cap and to think in terms of the last year so I'm going to assume things will be within those parameters until I hear otherwise. I will note I haven't seen any messages where he specifically said no foundry though. :) While a big undertaking maybe a paired down foundry (initially limited array of props and editing tools) might be considered a medium project, who knows?

Personally I think some more quest chains in the existing zones and some additions to the Nemesis system (more personalities / minion options / quests) would add more to the game then a new zone anyway: The existing content needs to feel less linear. Maybe a new comic series for a change. A foundry could sub for some of this though I really like "official" quests to be available.

Just my opinion.
    edited June 2014
    serpinecoh wrote: »
    Well it was just two weeks ago that TT said no new zones / level cap and to think in terms of the last year so I'm going to assume things will be within those parameters until I hear otherwise. I will note I haven't seen any messages where he specifically said no foundry though. :) While a big undertaking maybe a paired down foundry (initially limited array of props and editing tools) might be considered a medium project, who knows?

Personally I think some more quest chains in the existing zones and some additions to the Nemesis system (more personalities / minion options / quests) would add more to the game then a new zone anyway: The existing content needs to feel less linear. Maybe a new comic series for a change. A foundry could sub for some of this though I really like "official" quests to be available.

Just my opinion.

You never know, which is always the fun thing about this. And the more people we get subbing to Champions and buying stuff the more likely things will happen that people will want as they actually get the resources.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hmmm... I want to go lifetime now that it's on sale, but I'm not sure I can justify spending a large chunk of cash...

Argh.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

edited June 2014
    And the more people we get subbing to Champions and buying stuff the more likely things will happen that people will want as they actually get the resources.

True that. My wife has been trying to get her NW friends interested and I'm trying to trick some of my friends into it as well...
    kallethen wrote: »
    I want to go lifetime now that it's on sale, but I'm not sure I can justify spending a large chunk of cash...

Personally I don't want to wait 3 years till the next sale. :)
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Personally I don't want to wait 3 years till the next sale. :)

Yeah. Adding to the pain though is that my current subscription JUST renewed a few days ago.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

edited June 2014
    Oh Silverspar, the attention you constantly lavish onto me is so flattering, I feel guilty for not giving my number one fan an autograph sooner. What would you like it to say?
    edited June 2014
    Well, I will say I've had lifetime since launch, it's been worth it. So take that for what you will.
    Oh Silverspar, the attention you constantly lavish onto me is so flattering, I feel guilty for not giving my number one fan an autograph sooner. What would you like it to say?

Should probably get that checked out then, since I didn't know responding to a few of your inanities constituted being a fan.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Don't you have anything better to do than complain about everything I type?

Obviously not. :tongue:

Hooray for things happening!
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    UU2dM.gif
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Does anyone know how "upgrading" from subbing to LTS goes?
    I just don't want to double pay.

Thanks

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • matrakasmatrakas Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Bah, i cant acces the subscription management section

It tells me my user or password are wrong, despite those being correct

Now i have "too many attemps"
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I recently upgraded from sub to lts. I've not seen a single payment since. It asks you to go gold (lol) but other than that? Your sub status changes pretty instantly.

We drift in this odd state where the game is all "you get all the things" but the launcher's all "free to play?". Guess that's how they fixed the recent bug with sub errors. Either way? I cover many subs, and watch my account like a hawk. The change is instant, and total. It's nice to live on the other side.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    matrakas wrote: »
    Bah, i cant acces the subscription management section

It tells me my user or password are wrong, despite those being correct

Now i have "too many attemps"

use the"want to go Gold or manage your subscription" it's a direct link to old subs menu.

trying to find anything on ARC is a waste of time.

you obviously have a PWE login since you are on the forums, so take it slowly (you have letters missing in your post, you may be typing too fast)
    (when it lets you try again)and make sure caps didn 't go on .
    if you have auto sign in to forums, turn it off.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kallethen wrote: »
    Hmmm... I want to go lifetime now that it's on sale, but I'm not sure I can justify spending a large chunk of cash...

Argh.

I feel the same but like someone said who knows when the next sale will be. I'm glad the end date for this sale is some ways away (unless I read something wrong). I've been waiting for this kind of sale and now that the time comes, I'm not sure anymore. :confused:
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Does anyone know how "upgrading" from subbing to LTS goes?
    I just don't want to double pay.

Thanks

if you pay by the month, your last payment will be your last.
    if you pay 3/6 monthly. as soon as you go LTS, that is cancelled.
    NO you don't get a refund of outstanding time you have.
    I paid mine, half way through a yearly sub. I still consider it worth it.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited June 2014

And let's not forget Golden Foxbat AF. And pretty much lag free place to queu up on Nemesis Alerts, get to fight against your own Nemesis (which isn't much uses now, since you get about 4 Nemesis Alerts in a row if you're very very lucky). And you get that Teleport VIP Room card also.
    And a large pool.
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Just my opinion.

Maybe, just maybe, we'll get a PFF & Crowd Control fix, all the costume unlocks that On Alert removed, and an alternative leveling path from 6-15. Just so you don't have to listen to Kevin Poe on EVERY character.

This is probably pie-in-the-sky type stuff though.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just did it.
    :D
    Wonder how long it will take to update here and in game.

EDIT: Took effect on my next logon (within 5 minutes).

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.