test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Preview: Holoforce Armor Costume Set!

dwightmcdwightmc Posts: 95 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Super News Network
Heroes, in April you designed and voted on a new costume set for Champions Online -- and we're proud to announce that it's coming out very soon. Get a sneak peek of the costume set from character artist MEATIATOR!

http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/champions-online/detail/5006623-preview%3A-holoforce-armor-set%21

Thanks,

Dwight
Post edited by dwightmc on

Comments

• crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Welcome Meat! :biggrin:

Nice work and I find the process to be interesting as well.

Question: The article mentions the wings yet there are no pictures of them for people to see. Any reason why? Could this be edited to include such a pic?
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • dwightmcdwightmc Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    crosschan wrote: »
    Welcome Meat! :biggrin:

Nice work and I find the process to be interesting as well.

Question: The article mentions the wings yet there are no pictures of them for people to see. Any reason why? Could this be edited to include such a pic?

No pics, but it is available on PTS. If you have time, I absolutely encourage everyone to log in and check it out :)
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks Dwight. And indeed Meatiator you are most welcome. I love how you stayed true to the idea but added your own spins to the parts. I was even telling someone in game after playing with it on PTS (and I have added some thoughts to the pts feedback thread :D) that I could see how my shoulder idea (for example) would have caused problems simply due to it extending so far into the chest area. I also figured the spider/insect legs might cause issues but I do hope we see them in game at some point - it is definitely a costume part that is missing.

All things considered so far the set exceeds expectations of myself and from feedback in game it seems like it will be a big hit with the players.

Can't wait to see Necra's dragon set now and hope we don't have to wait too long.

P.S Here are a couple of screenshots I took on PTS for those who don't have access, plus a whole album taken by iamrune http://imgur.com/a/UOPsA

screenshot_2014-06-04-03-38-47_zpsb06d22c9.jpg~original

screenshot_2014-06-04-03-59-06_zps0b4c575d.jpg~original

screenshot_2014-06-04-04-15-07_zpsabb270dc.jpg~original
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited June 2014
  • agentcanadaagentcanada Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This is pretty cool actually, nice little behind the scenes take on creating costumes as well.
    AC
    edited June 2014
    dwightmc wrote: »
    No pics, but it is available on PTS. If you have time, I absolutely encourage everyone to log in and check it out :)

Yeah, as has already been mentioned not everyone has access to PTS so I asked because it would have been nice for the froobs to be able to see it and likely nice if it was on the official article on the subject. Thanks eiledon :wink:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    *throws money at screen*

Im very impressed at how this managed to turn out, also if you guys have arc, i suggest you look at one of the posts there regarding Charlie, the guy that modeled it himself, he runs you through the steps on what he does and what program he uses, i think its a nice way for us to get to know the process they go through when producing these.

Also dwight, you should tell Charlie that its nice that he posted pictures of his process of making costumes in the arc launcher, its a really great way for the community to know whats going on and how it gets done. Best costume set so far, i have my zen waiting on this one. :biggrin:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thank you for both the wonderful look at the behind the scenes process and the truly impressive product of that process.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Finally some behind the scenes details! :smile:

Thank you!

Keep up the good work!
  • brasston2501brasston2501 Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This is a fantastic costume set. Found myself staying up just to play with it in the test server. I'll be cursing when the alarm goes off at 6am LOL

The set is amazing. I love the versatility between the different textures, especially the way you used the Holo-Hex and Psi textures. The outlined glow of the cloth/leather/metal looks really cool and makes for a nice 'tron' looking character.

Honestly, and I don't know how feasible it would be, but I would LOVE to see the 'glass', Holo-Hex, and Psi textures added to more of the costume pieces already in the game. Be a great way to add quite a bit of variety without having to actually make new costumes.

I've also noticed that sometimes if I have a costume piece that has a glowing part, then scroll through the lists of pieces the others will also glow, even if they don't normally, at least until I actually pic one and close the scroll list. Any way we could just get a glow slider added to all of the color selections for the costume pieces. People who don't want their armor/tights/etc to glow can just leave it off but those of us who want to be bright could do so without restriction.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A costume pack that swift looking, AND a writeup introducing us to a new member of the CO team?!

Next thing you're gonna tell me is this is a taste of what we can expect in the future.

Okay enough sarcasm on my part, credit where credit is due and all that.

Sold, I will buy that.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2014
    And now purely practical question.

Holo armor is scheduled as Soon(TM), but Psi armor is for the undefined future "later this year".

All rewards for finalists will be distributed along with the Holo armor, or withe the Psi one in this undefined "later this year"?

Of course I'm not especially interested with empty speculations from other uninformed players, more with the official answer. :wink:
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hey, good job. I like it. I like how it's very versatile with all the different material options. That's genuine awesome right there, I tell you.

Also, even though my request didn't place, I like how tactical armor is quite similar. Don't know if you guys had it planned like that or what- but it worked out nicely. Thank you.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I really liked this article. It has attention to every detail including the background of the armor itself. Not only that but the awareness to add every damn material (well almost) in the game to all these pieces. This was a nice injection of dev attention into CO.
  • lordwolfylordwolfy Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I dont get it, I am searching for the armor on the PTS server but I cant find it. Is it listed under Holoarmor? I tried looking that up in the search area but end up with nothing. HELP!!
    edited June 2014
    you need to speak to Debugger beside the Powerhouse Wheel, under his Upcoming Items in the store he has the costume. Grab one and unlock it. In the tailor the parts are listed under Holoforce.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kermit-arm-flail-1392075955.gif

And i guess Meatiator can be "blamed" for the latest costume sets and pieces also.
    /thumbs up.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Oooh! This is nice!
    Didn't expect the costume to be made already. The armor can be used to be like a psionic armor or energy construct. (Been watching Green Lanter: The Animated Series lately. A ******n great show that got cancelled :/)

Can't wait for it to go Live.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • xenosinfinityxxenosinfinityx Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Those are some seriously impressive wings on the Psionic Dragon set, I look forward to seeing how that works out. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get some more levels on my Horseless Headless Horseman before the Holoforce set comes out and I can make him properly headless.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I just want to make sure Meat's walkthrough of the process is stickied somewhere, so we can refer the next person who claims adding this or that would be "simple" and "quick" to it.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited June 2014
    I though the whole process looked very simple. And i have been playing CO over 4 years allready.
    :rolleyes:
  • d0csteeld0csteel Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    I though the whole process looked very simple. And i have been playing CO over 4 years allready.

Each step of the process is 'easy', it's the entire process as a whole, particularly the tweaking of the parts to avoid too many clipping issues and making it work with both male and female forms with all the possible combinations of tweaks that takes time and is more complicated to do than the visuals I think suggest. Having done some 3-D design work over time, it take much more effort than the final product looks; experts make it look easy :biggrin:

That being said, it's rather telling that a couple costumes with fairly obvious concepts to players both generated so much excitement and how out of touch the design and development at Cryptic-PWE is that they didn't think of doing something like this on their own. Frankly, I would rather see ALL costume sets going forward be the result of player designs and voting.
    edited June 2014
    After messing around on the test server, I have come to this conclusion:
    Who needs a head anyway? Muahahahaha...

2drvytd.png
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I just want to make sure Meat's walkthrough of the process is stickied somewhere, so we can refer the next person who claims adding this or that would be "simple" and "quick" to it.

This is the 90/90 Rule in effect. Modeling and texturing a part is 90% of the job, and attaching it to a character rig that can be squished and stretched by umpteen sliders without the mesh twisting itself into something topographically impossible is another 90% of the job. (See also: older Female Chest Wear parts for values of Breast Slider < 100%). The first part is a general skill. The second is specific to the game industry and usually proprietary to a specific game engine.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • necratech009necratech009 Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Welcome aboard, Charlie!
    Very nice work. Love your rendition of the holoforce set. Both in game and your drawing.
    Can't wait to see what you do with my set. I specificly left it a little vague so that the developers could use their creativity as they see fit.
    Again, congrats on such a great job! Please keep us updated.:biggrin:
    edited June 2014
    "Looks simple?"

Ohohohoho.

Technically 3d is only "easy, but time consuming".

Practically, the texturing alone can go wrong on many ways, especially unwrapping.
    Like we don't have any costume parts with slightly misaligned textures... Or color channels bleeding one into another.

Someone said that modeling vehicles substracts from new costumes. Nope, it doesn't and now you can imagine why.

A vehicle is one model, and it everything needs to be done by hand - each of its primitives, then one texture.

A costume set is eight or more models, so whatever amount of work that goes for modeling vehicle, multiply it by eight at least.
    And still, it's all done by hand.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That was one of the best game blogs I've ever read. Thank you!

I enjoyed the step-by-step detail and pictures (clicky to full-size, even!).

Then there's the new costume itself. Eiledon created a fantastic design, and I feel Meatiator's interpretation is equally great.

I can't wait to buy the new costume!

:biggrin:
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • meatiatormeatiator Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    eiledon wrote: »
    Thanks Dwight. And indeed Meatiator you are most welcome. I love how you stayed true to the idea but added your own spins to the parts. I was even telling someone in game after playing with it on PTS (and I have added some thoughts to the pts feedback thread :D) that I could see how my shoulder idea (for example) would have caused problems simply due to it extending so far into the chest area. I also figured the spider/insect legs might cause issues but I do hope we see them in game at some point - it is definitely a costume part that is missing.

All things considered so far the set exceeds expectations of myself and from feedback in game it seems like it will be a big hit with the players.

Can't wait to see Necra's dragon set now and hope we don't have to wait too long.

P.S Here are a couple of screenshots I took on PTS for those who don't have access, plus a whole album taken by iamrune http://imgur.com/a/UOPsA

screenshot_2014-06-04-03-38-47_zpsb06d22c9.jpg~original

screenshot_2014-06-04-03-59-06_zps0b4c575d.jpg~original

screenshot_2014-06-04-04-15-07_zpsabb270dc.jpg~original

Hey eiledon! I'm glad you dig the set and thanks for the bug reporting- definitely helpful. So unfortunately the spider legs are a bit tricky. We MIGHT be able to put them in-game in the future the only downfall is that there wouldn't be any new animations for it.
    edited June 2014
    meatiator wrote: »
    Hey eiledon! I'm glad you dig the set and thanks for the bug reporting- definitely helpful. So unfortunately the spider legs are a bit tricky. We MIGHT be able to put them in-game in the future the only downfall is that there wouldn't be any new animations for it.

Hey Meatiator! Great job!

Regarding spider legs...I think we can live without the animation part. Perhaps have them like the dual back spikes just longer.

Regardless if you ever add them...you really did an amazing job!
    edited June 2014
    Maybe putting the Bubble Helmet Droopy Antennae animation on the Spider Legs.
    You know, when you move/jump they bounce and jiggle...:biggrin:
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wow... the set looks absolutely stunning!!! #mytoonisready
    Congrats again to Eiledon, and Nechratech - looking forward to Psionic Dragon Armor! ^^

I very much enjoyed this blog. Thank you Meatiator for the behind-the-scenes tour! :wink::smile:
    Awesome work, guys!!!
  • serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Regarding spider legs...I think we can live without the animation part. Perhaps have them like the dual back spikes just longer.

I totally agree: It is similar to Gadgeteer or Dual Claw: Sure it would be nice if they flailed around but it is fine (and probably more collision friendly) that they don't. If spider limbs were curved forward around the body rather then a flat layer in back, just the sheer length of them would likely give a sufficient illusion of motion from the slight fidgeting characters do when idle anyway.
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Maybe putting the Bubble Helmet Droopy Antennae animation on the Spider Legs.

I wonder if the droopy factor can be applied only at the "hinge" points between segments? :)
    edited June 2014

Thanks Charlie :D Welcome to the Forums. Awesome work man. Hope we get to see your design sketches again. And even for stuff that doesn't make it into game I would love to see more blogs like this one - knowing where things would cause issues helps we players tailor our suggestions better.

The animation idea was a bit "pie in the sky". I wasn't sure if the process of wrapping and unwrapping the legs around the player was feasible with the Cryptic engine but I thought it was worth asking anyway :D

Perhaps to add some life to the legs if they were to make it into the game they could instead have a rotation arc added to allow them to flex up and down on the vertical. I know we got the rotating clockwork key during the xmas event in which the back part rotates a full 360 degrees around it's connection point.

Would it be possible to extend the method used for this to each leg's connection to allow it to move up and down over a smaller arc of movement, maybe somewhere between 15 degrees and 30 degrees of movement would probably be enough to make them not seem lifeless. Especially if there was a way to add the "antennae bounce".

Fingers Crossed. And very pleased to meet you.

Edit: Ninja'd by serpine lol.. *shakes fist*
  • serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    My only hope is that if they do come up with a way to do the spider back in a satisfactory manner, that they have options with both the segments floating separate as in the original proposal, *and* with the segments actually touching eachother (for people who want to use a solid material and imply its an actual limb rather then just a projection).
  • vampirialvampirial Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I really hope they add the spider limbs into the game as it was the main reason I voted for the set, aside from the Phenomenal concept ofcourse. I really need those limbs for my latest character
    edited June 2014
    Hey, meatiator? The tech/categories you used to add 'extra' layers for boots and the like? Could we see that 'extra layer' applied with things like knives, pouches, pistols, swords, etc that normally occupy a part of the costume like leg accessories, back, etc?
  • vampirialvampirial Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't think adding another layer is possible with current tech, you would have to create two models one with knives and one without but they would be the entire boot with knife or they could take up a leg accessory slot but then you couldn't wear leg plates
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hmm, twitching spider legs... what if you added them as shoulder pieces, instead of (or in addition to) a back piece?

Kinda like the steampunk smokestacks.
    edited June 2014
    morigosa wrote: »
    Hmm, twitching spider legs... what if you added them as shoulder pieces, instead of (or in addition to) a back piece?

Kinda like the steampunk smokestacks.

I like all these ideas. Whatever they decide I think it's save to say Meatiator has our backs (and hopefully they are spider like)
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This looks really good though the thing about the behind the scenes that caught my attention was the fact that the finalist had things that weren't previously available as criteria. Seems interesting considering what did and did not make it into the last vote.

Really hope the Glass texture gets ported over to a few of the other clear/psionic pieces in the game since it'll really help versatility.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • meatiatormeatiator Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hey, meatiator? The tech/categories you used to add 'extra' layers for boots and the like? Could we see that 'extra layer' applied with things like knives, pouches, pistols, swords, etc that normally occupy a part of the costume like leg accessories, back, etc?

Hey cybersoldier1981. Going forward we do plan on using the new foot attachment now that we've added it to the skeleton.
    edited June 2014
    Ok, 2 things.

1. That's cool about "Going Forward" but what about, in a slower process here and there as to be realistic, "going backwards" with the new tech too and allowing it to be used on existing things as new options?

2. Of course the art guy has a nice avatar...so let's see the full toon pics and maybe a bio for it. :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for chatting with us. :cool:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
    edited June 2014

I realised that his avatar is stylised on the White Hand uruk-hais from the movies... :biggrin:
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I like all the different bits, which you can add to all sorts of costumes.
    Thank you for all the hard work, Meatiator. The stuff already in the PTS looks great.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited June 2014
    Hey cybersoldier1981. Going forward we do plan on using the new foot attachment now that we've added it to the skeleton.

Cool. I look forward to seeing this used. BOOT KNIFE BRO!

Additionally, take a look at this guy:

http://clementsauve.deviantart.com/

Sadly, he's passed on from cancer- but his military-type armor and gear was top-notch. I'd love to see throwing knives added to some of the costumes, as well as other accessories like swords, pouches, etc- especially on the armor sets.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    After messing around on the test server, I have come to this conclusion:
    Who needs a head anyway? Muahahahaha...

2drvytd.png

Okay that was cool, spill it, how'd you manage that? The design would make for a cool enemy npc.

edit* missed cyber's comments whilst typing

edit 2: jezas where are my manners hello Meat, hope you enjoy your time here, and well done on those costume pieces.

the throwing knives thing, we have an enemy npc animation for it, we have a player animation for it, can we just get it in game as an energy builder if nothing else?
    edited June 2014
    Okay that was cool, spill it, how'd you manage that? The design would make for a cool enemy npc.

edit* missed cyber's comments whilst typing

edit 2: jezas where are my manners hello Meat, hope you enjoy your time here, and well done on those costume pieces.

the throwing knives thing, we have an enemy npc animation for it, we have a player animation for it, can we just get it in game as an energy builder if nothing else?

Huge Rigid helmets, Holoforce helmet in Psi texture coloured black, None in the head category. And Energy Head aura for the flames, of course. Works with any Psi costume piece, and energy forms will overlay them to create instant armour in combat.
  • brasston2501brasston2501 Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Been playing around with this more and more in the test server. Can't wait for it to go live. Couple of questions though.

1) What happened to the holographic insect wings that were in the costume contest submission? Will those be added with the Psy Dragon set? My character W.A.S.P uses a tech suite (Weaponized Augmentation and Strategic Protection) and the holographic bug wings would be perfect.

2) Any chance we could get a glow slider on the 'Glass' texture like we have on the others? The glass looks awesome, but it looks just like that. Glass. It'd be cool to have the option to make it glow so it looked more like actual hard light.

Again, fantastic job. Can't wait for it to go live.
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah I do want the Bug wings back as they should
    Psi.
  • roundhousekittyroundhousekitty Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm impressed. This is a super rad costume set, and I don't see those all that often anymore. A ton of kudos here.