test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Allow returning players to use FF slots

chuckthestarchuckthestar Posts: 62 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Suggestions Box
So, it's really difficult to get players to return to the game. They get excited when I tell them that they can grind Q to purchase a FreeForm slot. Heck, for some of them I'd buy them a Freeform slot.

But when I tell them they can't use their old character in that FF slot, that's the end of it. They don't return, and the game gets nothing from them.

I've had this discussion about a dozen times with a dozen players (who probably would pay for things now and then, but can't justify another monthly game). If that's true for me, I bet there's thousands in the same position.

The FTP launch brought a lot of new players to the game, but brought very few players BACK to the game. This imo was a serious mistake. The market you are trying to tap into is niche, and not that large. And that niche player has mostly already been here, left, and you make it hard for them to come back.

Please reconsider allowing returning players to slide their existing character into a purchased freeform slot.
Post edited by chuckthestar on

Comments

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The same argument came up when the FF slots were first introduced. Silver players wanted them , then found they were new slots not converting an old one.
    Why can't we put an existing character in it Because it is a NEW character slot. Not a conversion

Being able to Convert an existing Silver slot for the same price, is what you are after. Simliar to a retcon/retrain token
    And it would make a useful store item... which probably means they'll never do it.
    and I have to ask

chuck the star... where?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chuckthestarchuckthestar Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You're right, we'd be talking about converting existing slots.

The point of the post wasn't to discuss the mechanism, but to provide an (anecdotal) window into the concerns of past subscribers. Other MMO's are offering incentives to returning players to great effect. CO is offering the loss of your characters.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Or you could look at it like they are offering you the opportunity to level through all the game's content again!

Since there's no endgame and you'll just be leveling new characters over and over anyway.... u_u yay.
  • chuckthestarchuckthestar Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've been a lifetimer from the beginning. This isn't about me. I'm referring to people who aren't. Positive outlooks notwithstanding, it's very difficult to inspire someone to return when they find out their characters are going in the junk bin.

As an actual player, I know as well as anyone that you can have a character leveled to 40 in 4-5 hours, and fully geared in a few weeks. But it's really hard to convince a potential returnee of this. For them, I think it just feels like they don't want to start again by taking an immediate step backwards. All of the ones I've spoken to would be happy to buy a FF slot, but it's the existing character that is their hangup.

Hope that makes my intent clearer.
  • neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Or you could look at it like they are offering you the opportunity to level through all the game's content again!

And how do they access bound unlocks their previous character had, many of which can no longer be obtained?

Hey for $50 you can level up a new character and not have all of the stuff you've already unlocked on the character you really wanted to play.

Sounds like a really stupid incentive to come back to me. :frown:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad