test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Kickstarter] Storium

canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
Why is this here? The Champions Universe is the final stretch goal.

Only a few hours left.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stlhood/storium-the-online-storytelling-game/posts/837344
/CanadaBanner4.jpg
Post edited by canadascott on

Comments

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    $20k in 4 hours, it's a long shot but it'd be very nice.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited May 2014
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think i'll play just Champions Online with my "friends". Thank you.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited May 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    I think i'll play just Champions Online with my "friends". Thank you.

This is just so the CO world is available for people to use in their story worlds. It does not sound like you're forced into the great unwashed masses unless you want to be.
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    since when was this game hugely popular? What I want to know is what is going to happen to this game, are we ever going to get real content?
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ignoring for a moment the obvious non-role playing members of this thread, I kickstarted this, and I'm super glad to see it made the final stretch goal funding eleven minutes before shuttering.

Now Storium will have two excellent settings for Super Heroes available on Launch, Champions as well as Mutants & Masterminds, and I couldn't be more thrilled.

I backed it thinking I will use Storium with my guild here as a way to Role play plots and stories with friends and guild members who can't be in-game due to RL issues, and a way to better structure some of the more crazy freewheeling RP events that don't always work out how we wanted in game.

And since the Champions Setting will be essentially an "App" for Storium as far as I have read, it can become another revenue stream for the game.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    since when was this game hugely popular? What I want to know is what is going to happen to this game, are we ever going to get real content?

Since when that kickstarter easily made their goals thats when. If you don't like CO well tough no ones forcing you to play it.

Some people tend to forget Champions is a PnP first and an MMO second.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • aceretrieveraceretriever Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well, this Storium sounds fun. Glad it made its full stretch goal! I wanna try it, too; I've been having this weird hankering to start roleplaying. :P
    Champions: @ace112233
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    Since when that kickstarter easily made their goals thats when. If you don't like CO well tough no ones forcing you to play it.

Some people tend to forget Champions is a PnP first and an MMO second.

When is it wrong to ask questions, I have never once said I don't like Champions Online, what I have been asking for a year is where is this game going. I want know if this game is going to get real content, that is not a hard question to answer.

I started off playing pnp, before playing games.
    edited May 2014
    When is it wrong to ask questions, I have never once said I don't like Champions Online, what I have been asking for a year is where is this game going. I want know if this game is going to get real content, that is not a hard question to answer.

I started off playing pnp, before playing games.

You went on about content in the game without really considering the following....

This is more to do with the PnP than the game. And before you go well shouldn't be in the forums then, Cryptic/PWE jointly own Champions alongside HERO games and as TT showed, this got backing from PWE themselves.

This is like a massive advert for the PnP and even the MMO version. This will boost sales for HERO games and bring more players to Champions Online. And with a bigger player base Cryptic North would be able to justify more content for the MMO version to PWE.

More sales of the books for the PnP would in turn bring about the creation of more source books. More books out there would get more people intrested in Champions and in turn more people will discover Champions Online.

Its pure 100% win for everyone.

*edit* My gut tells me one of those backers might have been Cryptic or PWE themselves.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Kickstarter is becoming the new 419 -

Kickstarter scams

People just keep proving PT Barnum right...
    edited May 2014
    helbjorn wrote: »
    Kickstarter is becoming the new 419 -

Kickstarter scams

People just keep proving PT Barnum right...

Occulus rift yeah that was a cluster BEEP! But most arnt like that. Divekick and Broforce where crowd funded and as we speak ima browsing this forum via my Ouya.

Ive never been bit on the arse by a crowdfunding yet ( and yes I know the Ouya has a crap joypad :P ) and Storium seems to be one of those solid ideas that wont fail.

Anyhoo argument invalid theve gone and put Jonny Gat in dive kick XD
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've Kickstarted 28 projects, and haven't been burned once, nor have I regretted it once.

Kickstarter successes

People just keep proving Kickstarter as a good way to get a project going.
    biffsig.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I want know if this game is going to get real content, that is not a hard question to answer.
    Actually, it's a very hard question to answer, because of the sliding definition of what "real" content is. Every time they put some new content in the game (On Alert, the new Rampages, the Lemurian event when it first came out, the Malvan event, etc), it's dismissed as not being "real" content.

So, until a definition of "real content" can be agreed upon, the question cannot be answered.

Oh, as regards the Oculus Rift thing? Nobody got ripped off. You were backing their ability to build the silly thing; once that was accomplished, they were offered ludicrous amounts of money by a commercial backer to make it better. How is this a "ripoff"? What were you promised originally that was never delivered?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So, instead of adding their Foundry to CO o players could make their own adventures for others to experience IN GAME; Cryptic would rather promote a KS of a separate company wanting to add the CO milieu to their storytelling software? Classic.

So, if the KS stretch goal is reached and Cryptic/PWE receive the licensing funds (which they'd get since they own the IP); will a portion of those funds be allocated to the CO Dev team to get the Foundry added to CO?

(Believe me, I think I can guess the answer; but I had to ask.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited May 2014
    So, instead of adding their Foundry to CO o players could make their own adventures for others to experience IN GAME; Cryptic would rather promote a KS of a separate company wanting to add the CO milieu to their storytelling software? Classic.

*Facepalm*

Gee, if only Cryptic owned the Champions PnP license, it would make so much more sense for them to do that.

With all the negative nellies coming out of the woodwork something good must be in the pipeline.

*Spoilers* the stretch goal was funded yesterday.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What's really funny is that they complain that nothing is being done while the superhero genre is getting popular, yet they complain when something is done to take advantage of that.

I swear to you, if I ever quit playing CO it probably won't be due to anything done by PWE/Cryptic. It'll be from me getting too sick of all the complaining.

And I really want to use another word for "complaining", but I want to keep some semblance of politeness.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

edited May 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

Oh, as regards the Oculus Rift thing? Nobody got ripped off. You were backing their ability to build the silly thing; once that was accomplished, they were offered ludicrous amounts of money by a commercial backer to make it better. How is this a "ripoff"? What were you promised originally that was never delivered?

Never said it was a rip off I said it was a cluster BEEP!

I means selling out to Facebook the home of morons and farmville :P
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Actually, it's a very hard question to answer, because of the sliding definition of what "real" content is. Every time they put some new content in the game (On Alert, the new Rampages, the Lemurian event when it first came out, the Malvan event, etc), it's dismissed as not being "real" content.

So, until a definition of "real content" can be agreed upon, the question cannot be answered.

There_is_no_Spoon_zpsb80df459.jpg~original
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited May 2014
    Storium has nothing to do with CO or Cryptic ability to expand (or not) their already existing mmo.

It's just completely unrelated product which may be set in the same universe IF its makers have money to pay for using CU IP.

Advertising Storium can be taken either as an act of courtesy on Cryptic/PWE side, or as a promotion for their IP. Neither is a bad move. They do not invest any time and money at Storium.

I hardly see any reason to be upset.

Though I suppose Storium is more important for PnP CU and Hero Games. But, really, taking chances to make your owned IP even slightly more popular is hardly a bad move.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Though I suppose Storium is more important for PnP CU and Hero Games. But, really, taking chances to make your owned IP even slightly more popular is hardly a bad move.
    The Kickstarter, at least, does prominently mention CO, so there's that. Any advertising at all is better than no advertising, generally speaking.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited May 2014
    Storium has nothing to do with CO or Cryptic ability to expand (or not) their already existing mmo.

It's just completely unrelated product which may be set in the same universe IF its makers have money to pay for using CU IP.

Advertising Storium can be taken either as an act of courtesy on Cryptic/PWE side, or as a promotion for their IP. Neither is a bad move. They do not invest any time and money at Storium.

I hardly see any reason to be upset.

But its not unrelated this Storium expansion >_>

Perfect World owns the Champions IP fully and lease it back to HERO games so anything Champions related done by Storium or HERO games HAS to have the green light by Perfect World.

This permission has been given as if you follow TT's link you see Perfect World fully approve of CU in Storium. Glad this reached it stretch goal and it did it rather fast which is kind of like ..well eh?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    WoHoo!
    More money to CO.
    It's not like PW is spending that cash earned from Storium's Champions Universe IP rent and CO add-on to something not CO related.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited May 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    WoHoo!
    More money to CO.
    It's not like PW is spending that cash earned from Storium's Champions Universe IP rent and CO add-on to something not CO related.

They use all income generated by CO to pay for the electric bill for the shed out behind PWE HQ where they keep their mascot, Slurpy The Pig o3o
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Can someone actually explain to me -what the hell this actually is/does-?
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited May 2014
    It is something like RP play by forums.
    With tools for solving conflicts or whatever...

Can't say I'm interested.
    edited May 2014

I'm not sure what it is either. BUT if it gets Champions pnp / mmo better known its a good thing.
    edited May 2014
    It's basically like role-playing on a forum... but there's an interface that lets you play cards that make other people have to play cards. And a button that says "Poke Laggards".
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    They use all income generated by CO to pay for the electric bill for the shed out behind PWE HQ where they keep their mascot, Slurpy The Pig o3o

I think the new patch is beyond the pale bad. That being said, reading....

"their mascot, Slurpy The Pig" is epic. I dare anyone to challenge me on this. Say it before you do it...slurpy the pig is the awesomes.

Oh and if you don't think those words are funny, tell the next person you talk to that you participated in a pet rescue and ended up with Slurpy. If it doesn't raise so much as a grin, the friend/coworker/family member etc has a "funny" problem.