test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Defender is giant! Height numbers in the editor

synthozoicsynthozoic Posts: 61 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Costumes and Concepts
On a whim, just too see what I could come up with, I built some nonhuman robot characters on the female frame in the costume editor. In the process of fiddling with the scales and proportions I found that the indicated height in feet doesn't really seem to mean what it says in absolute terms in the game.

Comparing my character's height to Defender as shown in Ren Center, what I took to be a 7'+ tall toon in editor was basically about equal in comparison to him. Is Defender a former basketball player? Or do the absolute height numbers on female frames just don't mean anything?

I'm aware that female frame doesn't work or scale the same way as the male one. If your really want to build a huge toon (Huge arms, legs shoulders and so on.), you have to go with the male frame.

But I guess my question is why put a number in the editor if it doesn't mean anything, especially for female frames?
Post edited by synthozoic on

Comments

• decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There's a "ruler" on the wall near the costumers in MC that gives a more consistent scale. But, yes, everyone's oversized even by that scale.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yet, as soon as we sit down on a chair in-game, we look like hobbits.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Go stand next to a "big rig", 18 wheeler and i bet it seems like a really small pick-up truck.
    Or grab a team of 5, dress yourselves as firefighters and try to fit in one of the 2 firetrucks in MC.
    Scales? Superheroes don't use scales....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • synthozoicsynthozoic Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There's a "ruler" on the wall near the costumers in MC that gives a more consistent scale. But, yes, everyone's oversized even by that scale.

Hm? There is? I didn't notice this. Do you have an exact location because I've never found it?
  • nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    synthozoic wrote: »
    Hm? There is? I didn't notice this. Do you have an exact location because I've never found it?

At the tailor when you create a new costume look at the right side of the screen. There should be something like an antenna in the background with horizontal lines from bottom until top. That is the so called "ruler".

EDIT: it's not the in game tailor though. It's the one at the character creation screen.
  • moxiedangermoxiedanger Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Or if you want to use an actual in-game ruler as opposed to a "supposed" ruler, they are on the corners of the walls next to the tailors in RenCen. Pretty much right where you would mark children's height on a door frame.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nightr0d wrote: »
    At the tailor when you create a new costume look at the right side of the screen. There should be something like an antenna in the background with horizontal lines from bottom until top. That is the so called "ruler".

Use to be. Until they 'streamlined' the background.....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited April 2014
    Moxie's is the one I was talking about.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited April 2014
    It is here, the gray vertical stripe behind the six-foot ape in the white shirt. It's marked off in feet and inches.

IMm1tVT0.png
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited April 2014
    nightr0d wrote: »

EDIT: it's not the in game tailor though. It's the one at the character creation screen.

I don't have that in my interface. I guess mine is an updated game client?
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not sure what this antenna business is all about...

but I use the ruler near the tailors all the time.
    edited April 2014
    IMm1tVT0.png

Ah! Thanks for the screenshot! There it is! Thanks again! Hard to notice otherwise
  • highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The other thing is that the height slider means nothing, since your height still varies greatly depending on the "legs lenght" slider.

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    Not sure what this antenna business is all about...

but I use the ruler near the tailors all the time.

There used to be an inconspicuous antenna with a crossbar at every half foot, during character creation, that people could use to more accurately measure their character's height, but it was removed some time ago.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2014
    synthozoic appreciated:

Ah! Thanks for the screenshot! There it is! Thanks again! Hard to notice otherwise

That it is. I had a little trouble finding it from just a verbal description myself (I was looking at the actual corners of those pillars, instead of something on them).

And you're very welcome. :smile:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png