test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Design a Costume: Voting is Open!

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited May 2014 in Super News Network
Our Costume Design contest has entered its second phase, with five finalists chosen from all the entries. This is the big moment, folks, because one of these five costume designs is going to be turned into a C-Store costume and added to the game!

Flip through this Facebook photo album (or the Arc media page), take a look at the five finalists, and Like your favorites. The most-liked concept on Monday (4/28) will be the winner!

(As a side note, please remember that this concept will serve as the inspiration for the final costume design. Even for professional developers, translating an idea into an in-game result requires some changes, due to the engine and what it can handle. We'll try to keep as close to the concept as possible, though -- we chose these concepts because we like them, after all!)

Let's have a round of applause for our finalists, and go vote for them here!

Voting for Finalists on ARC and Facebook: 04/25/14 – 04/28/14

Winners announced: 04/28/14

Holo Armor, submitted by Eiledon and Necratech009 -- their ideas were pretty similar, so we're combining them into a single entry. View Eiledon's full entry here, and Necratech009's here.

Cosmic Knight, submitted by Meedacthunist. View the full entry here.

Variable Robot, submitted by Meedacthunist. View the full entry here.

Steel Arachnid, submitted by Lilsteffie. View the full entry here.

Urban Anime, submitted by In54ni7yy. View the full entry here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So how do the votes work? Do you simply add the facebook and ARC likes together to get the final results?
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime...
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So how do the votes work? Do you simply add the facebook and ARC likes together to get the final results?

They should do 2 separate sets. 1 for FB and 1 for ARC.
    And use rest of the suggestions for a monthly sets.:cool:
    And i'm going to hold my breath until Meeda's Cosmic Knight is in the C-store.
    Starting now!
    128_33.png
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I voted on Arc because you can tick all of them.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited April 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    I voted on Arc because you can tick all of them.

You can like all of them on FB too.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Our Costume Design contest has entered its second phase, with five finalists chosen from all the entries. This is the big moment, folks, because one of these five costume designs is going to be turned into a C-Store costume and added to the game!

Flip through this Facebook photo album (or the Arc media page), take a look at the five finalists, and Like your favorites. The most-liked concept on Monday (4/28) will be the winner!

So TT what happens with the other submissions?

Could we have multiple voting contests. Some submissions are really great and SHOULD be made into costumes.

I see no reason not to use the already existing submissions. At least this way you get an idea of what people would prefer instead of just making a costume and hoping people like/buy it. (the art is already there and letting people vote is costs nothing)
  • blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And the winner is.........
    edited April 2014
    And the winner is.........

We can actually see who the winner is, it's no mystery........but I say well done to them all for being shortlisted.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    monaahiru wrote: »
    Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime, Urban Anime...

Suburban Anime!

But really, I'd love for them to release that sort of hood that fits with the jacket. ;D

Too bad epic angel's of DETH will win. :<
    edited April 2014
    nightr0d wrote: »
    I see no reason not to use the already existing submissions. At least this way you get an idea of what people would prefer instead of just making a costume and hoping people like/buy it. (the art is already there and letting people vote is costs nothing)

I would prefer another competition just like this one.....other people might like to participate. With the caveat that they allow those that didn't get shortlisted, or didn't win, to repost their entries.
    zrdRBy8.png
    edited April 2014
    I would prefer another competition just like this one.....other people might like to participate. With the caveat that they allow those that didn't get shortlisted, or didn't win, to repost their entries.

Absolutely, they should call it CO Costume Design Round 2 :D (name is not really important though).

There are 3 things they should do for the second one:

1. They should mention to have the costume in one image so it's not cut on FB.
    2. Allow voting for all of the viable (from tech perspective) costumes.
    3. Disallow gender specific costumes (this should have been a rule from the get go)

@TT use the ideas of the community. We know what we need and it's cheaper to do it this way since we are providing the artwork/ideas. (should decrease the risk of making costume duds)
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited April 2014

Yep, simple addition.

So TT what happens with the other submissions?

Could we have multiple voting contests. Some submissions are really great and SHOULD be made into costumes.

We're pretty impressed with a lot of the costumes, and we might end up using some of those ideas in the future, yeah. From a contest standpoint, though, we'd probably run something new, though we'd probably allow people to re-submit old ideas.

This is all hypothetical, though. We're focused on finishing what's on our plate now and planning for seconds -- we're not thinking about dessert just yet. :biggrin:

Also, I'll probably close the Facebook/Arc voting at 5pm PDT.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I do hope for more contests like this in the future. I think it was a great way to engage the community.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    3. Disallow gender specific costumes (this should have been a rule from the get go)

Did you really read the full entries?
    Urban Anime is not intended to be gender specific.
    edited April 2014
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    Did you really read the full entries?
    Urban Anime is not intended to be gender specific.

I did not mention which one was gender specific lol. The fact that you mentioned that costume submission disproves your point :rolleyes:.

Wait....are you telling me that a guy would wear that? :eek: Srly? Yeah....NO :cool:
    edited April 2014
    If not that then what? Also this isn't the only thread where there seems to have been some confusion on that.
    Wait....are you telling me that a guy would wear that? :eek: Srly? Yeah....NO :cool:

lol it might not be to your taste but that is irrelevant.
    edited April 2014
    From a contest standpoint, though, we'd probably run something new, though we'd probably allow people to re-submit old ideas.

This is all hypothetical, though. We're focused on finishing what's on our plate now and planning for seconds -- we're not thinking about dessert just yet. :biggrin:

I'm not sure I follow that one. Do you mean to say that you will do an entirely new type of contest OR further design a costume contests?

IMO the design a costume contest was the most productive/useful one. We get to submit ideas/costumes and you (devs) get the art for it for free + you get too see the nr. of votes. This way you can tell what type of costumes are more popular.
    edited April 2014
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    If not that then what? Also this isn't the only thread where there seems to have been some confusion on that.

lol it might not be to your taste but that is irrelevant.

Well by that logic: it might be to your taste but that is irrelevant. :rolleyes:

You can go on about this but if you are trying to change my opinion then good luck.
    edited April 2014
    I am only trying to dispel misconceptions.

I don't have a particular preference for the new costume pack, I'll be happy with whatever winner we get.
  • sekhmet46sekhmet46 Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Holo Armor set has way more votes than any other. On both FB and Arc. I like it.. I really do. It's basically an improved Holo Hex set, with more complete coverage and the awesome option to interchange parts between metal and field. I just hope they use the same transparency style as the cyberpunk pieces, where there wasn't a glow option, but the piece was more "substantial" anyway (like glass). Also, it looks like the set may work for both tech and magic costumes, unlike the PSI or Holo Hex pieces. I'm a bit confused as to how they plan to merge Eiledon and Necratech009's entries. Whatever, I guess I'll wait and see. All I know is I really want to use the mouth accessory for some reason. And I want CO to use my Dark Cyberpunk idea later. *cough cough*
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yep, simple addition.

We're pretty impressed with a lot of the costumes, and we might end up using some of those ideas in the future, yeah. From a contest standpoint, though, we'd probably run something new, though we'd probably allow people to re-submit old ideas.

Also, I'll probably close the Facebook/Arc voting at 5pm PDT.

15mins! I am gonna go ahead and give a big thank you to Cryptic for doing this, there were tons of great entries and if you guys didn't know what we would like as a community now you do and you have plenty of suggestions to work with. I think the top 5 all deserve to see their pieces in the game at some point.

Congratz to Eiledon and Necratech009 for making an awesome piece!
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For future contests, I don't recommend Facebook(or Arc for that matter), unless there is something in place to prevent someone from creating multiple accounts just to vote. That is why internet polls are usually so unreliable.
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Grats on the win Liath and Necratech. Looking forward to this costume set:biggrin:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • spiderdude4spiderdude4 Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Congratulations to Eiledon and Necratech009 for their Holo Armor creations! I can't wait to see what Cryptic will do with them design-wise :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Hope1 ingame. PRIMUS Database Characters
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    draogn wrote: »
    For future contests, I don't recommend Facebook(or Arc for that matter), unless there is something in place to prevent someone from creating multiple accounts just to vote. That is why internet polls are usually so unreliable.
    At least they didn't make it only Facebook voting. Cuz I don't have and never plan to have a Facebook account.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    One of these five costume designs is going to be turned into a C-Store costume and added to the game!

Ah, add them "ALL", why not? :rolleyes:

Suburban Anime!

But really, I'd love for them to release that sort of hood that fits with the jacket. ;D

Too bad epic angel's of DETH will win. :<

I feel same, but my personality is expected only to yell "Urban Anime"! o3o
    edited April 2014
    kallethen wrote: »
    At least they didn't make it only Facebook voting. Cuz I don't have and never plan to have a Facebook account.

True, but with perfect world accounts being free even Arc isn't the best place to have a poll held. Someone with 2+ accounts will have multiple votes, which could skew the results.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    There is no alternative. What else can be used? Forum votes? They're falling under the same as Arc - PWE accounts are free to create.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There is no alternative. What else can be used? Forum votes? They're falling under the same as Arc - PWE accounts are free to create.

Registration of some active account, maybe?
    edited April 2014
    Maybe for the future, just try to add a full picture of the set, not like it happened in FB, most people just voted/unvoted JUST TIGHTS and JUST WINGS... Since forum is/will be getting angry posts about how JUST WINGS won the CC.:rolleyes:

And grats guys! Gimme free set, pls??? :biggrin:
    edited April 2014
    IMO it should be done in-game with a pop up screen where you could see some concept art of the final entries and vote there. One vote each.

But even then it wouldn't be completely democratic because of alt-accounts. However, this way it would reach all of the player base.

Gratz to the winners, Liath and Necra ....look forward to using the set in-game:smile:
    zrdRBy8.png
  • kittykaboomboomkittykaboomboom Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I did not mention which one was gender specific lol. The fact that you mentioned that costume submission disproves your point :rolleyes:.

actually apart from the halter top under it. i've seen guys dressed like that. And in a lot more feminine clothes , their girlfriends kind of evened it out.
    There are quite a few guys around, usually up to early 20's who are tryign all sorts of clothes and have good clothes sens for what suits them.
    3f929831-d0e0-4b9d-aa2b-28877c351112_zpsgsnq9bpu.jpg
    [font="title-I'm as sane as any.."][/font]Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ok posted the survey results.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited April 2014
    IMO it should be done in-game with a pop up screen where you could see some concept art of the final entries and vote there. One vote each.

But even then it wouldn't be completely democratic because of alt-accounts. However, this way it would reach all of the player base.

Gratz to the winners, Liath and Necra ....look forward to using the set in-game:smile:

Registration of some active account, maybe?

While this would probably be the most precise way of doing a contest like this... you're kinda overthinking it. There's a curve of marginal returns, and to get one more unit of Utility out of the contest, you'd need to add a lot more time and energy into executing it. The easier contests are to run, the more smoothly they go, in my opinion.

Congrats to the Holo Armor entries, and thanks to everyone who entered!
    edited April 2014
    And scores (Facebook and Arc combined):

Holo Armor: 320
    Variable Robot: 203
    Urban Anime: 169
    Steel Spider: 148
    Cosmic Knight: 135

With time these scores will be less accurate, since entries will stay for voting indefinitely. I do not think if there is any way of locking final scores on FB or Arc, short of deleting entries.

Not bad. I'm actually surprised that Variable Robot scored that high, given its rather specific scope.
    edited April 2014

There are websites out there like surveymonkey that would be better then Facebook or Arc. While still possible to vote multiple times it takes a little more then just signing up for a new account.
    edited April 2014
    actually apart from the halter top under it. i've seen guys dressed like that. And in a lot more feminine clothes , their girlfriends kind of evened it out.
    There are quite a few guys around, usually up to early 20's who are tryign all sorts of clothes and have good clothes sens for what suits them.

And when they are listening Bieber songs.....
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Congratulations to Eiledon and Necratech009!!! :wink::smile:

Looking forward to seeing Holo Armor at the C-Store!
  • novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    How long for the costume release now? I cant for em holo sccessories! I was planning to get PA set just for holo stuff in abt s mth till i saw this! Really looking forward!! 1-2 mths at the max?

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Meh, I bought the power armour when it got bundled with the energy slide travel power and I use the travel power more often, and that's even with a bunch of characters that get their powers from their suits. The sci-fi set was much better IMO then the original power armour set and this new set looks like a slightly improved power armour set.

Congratulations to the winner though, I think a lot of people are going to be happy with your creation, but sadly, based on my own tastes, nothing in that set jumps out at me as being interesting.

I like the contest and I hope Criptic North runs it again in the near future. Maybe next time you should have a bit of a theme.
  • d0csteeld0csteel Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not knocking the creator's entries, but I knew the minute I saw the holohex sets that they would win simply because the sets were simple anime-based designs; while this is not an issue in and of itself, but considering this is a comic based game and not an anime one I personally voted otherwise for the Cosmic Knight, no doubt the most classic comic inspired. I agree with the above poster, a theme-based design selection next time would really be the way to go, otherwise the 12-year old Yu-Gi-Oh crowd will likely select all our costume designs going forward.
  • ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    d0csteel wrote: »
    Not knocking the creator's entries, but I knew the minute I saw the holohex sets that they would win simply because the sets were simple anime-based designs

...what? Anime-based designs? I think you're thinking of the 'Urban Anime' one. I don't see how the Holo-Armor would be considered 'Anime-Based'.

Also, the Holohex set is the name of the In-Game set that was already made, these would probably look more like the PSI back unlock, or the Gadroon Bracers unlocks.
    It makes sense, if you don't think about it.
    ninjapiff wrote: »
    ...what? Anime-based designs? I think you're thinking of the 'Urban Anime' one. I don't see how the Holo-Armor would be considered 'Anime-Based'.

Also, the Holohex set is the name of the In-Game set that was already made, these would probably look more like the PSI back unlock, or the Gadroon Bracers unlocks.

You're right, I was off on the name, but the dragon styling armor look is very anime-inspired, not at all referring to the urban anime set... that was just another symptom of the malady.

I guess it all depends on what anime-manga you have experienced :cool:
  • tresfoiltresfoil Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    While the holo-wings look really cool, and it would be great to see them in game, it's only a single costume piece.
    edited April 2014
    tresfoil wrote: »
    While the holo-wings look really cool, and it would be great to see them in game, it's only a single costume piece.

It's actually not, hang on. There's a whole (large) costume with it.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4129371&postcount=13

Go have a look.

I'm hoping they'll make these materials in the 'glass', 'holo-hex', 'Psi', 'Gadroon Shield', and Cloth/Leather/Metal as well. You could make some INSANE armor with them.
  • tresfoiltresfoil Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's actually not, hang on. There's a whole (large) costume with it.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4129371&postcount=13

Go have a look.

I'm hoping they'll make these materials in the 'glass', 'holo-hex', 'Psi', 'Gadroon Shield', and Cloth/Leather/Metal as well. You could make some INSANE armor with them.

Thanks for sharing!
    edited April 2014
    tresfoil wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing!

Yeah dude, if it was just a set of wings that won this contest? I'd be raging hardcore right now.
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    d0csteel wrote: »
    Not knocking the creator's entries, but I knew the minute I saw the holohex sets that they would win simply because the sets were simple anime-based designs; while this is not an issue in and of itself, but considering this is a comic based game and not an anime one I personally voted otherwise for the Cosmic Knight, no doubt the most classic comic inspired. I agree with the above poster, a theme-based design selection next time would really be the way to go, otherwise the 12-year old Yu-Gi-Oh crowd will likely select all our costume designs going forward.

I'm not 12, I hate anime, and I think the winning costume idea looks great.
    edited April 2014
    The only anime inspired submission in voting was Urban Anime.
    And maybe some parts in Variable Robot.

And I wouldn't be surprised if devs picked Urban Anime for voting to test reception for adding things like anime head, or hair.

While Holo Armor certainly has nothing to do with classic look of comic book heroes, it certainly does NOT look anime. The same about Psi Armor from the same entry.
    edited April 2014
    I'd actually be cool with an 'anime' inspired addition if they used anime-tech. One thing anime does very well is mechs, armor, and weapons. Story and character development, not so much.