test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you pay for a CO expansion pack?

riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
This question is purely theoretical and has no basis in fact. With that being said - If Champions were to announce a huge expansion pack, but wanted to to charge for it - would you purchase? Of course there's lots of variables, but let's say it had a new zone, some new powers, new costume pieces, and new playable content. It's pretty much your dream expansion for CO. Would you buy it or would your pass?
Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Maybe.

:biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    of course.
  • r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited April 2014
    Nope, i rather buy my monthly ZEN with cash for costumes, auras and freeform slots...

The Game is f2p and should stay f2p even for expansions.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Of course. Though they were heavily discouraged from making expansions since the player base complained about the first one and they made it free instead. But that's what happens when you launch a game with too little content and then ask for money for something that should have been included in the launch. All entirely their own fault of course.

But yes, I would pay for an expansion if it doubled the number of zones.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd pay for it, but with certain caveats.

1- It'd need to be more than one zone. Otherwise I'll just take the level cap and grind through alerts and call it a day.

2- It would need to have a lot of missions. I shouldn't be playing every mission in the zone to get 2 levels and have to alert-grind for 3 more levels to advance.

3- It would have to add new powers in some way. I'm not going to grind to level 50/60 just to get a stat increase.

4- The writing would need to be drastically improved, or at least directed away from un-funny pop culture references and slapstick comedy.

5- It would need to show an array of new enemies, or re-imagined older ones. I'd rather not just have new maps where I'm fighting Viper, Argent, etc. Additionally, it should have more than one open world mission and boss fight.

6- It would need to have a crisis for each area. Should be optional, but it also shouldn't require a team if you want to do it solo.

7- It should be a a few diverse Zones. One extra map tends to make me believe we'd get another Viboring Bleh map, where I'd be reduced to fighting low-level (thematically speaking) enemies more suitable for a non-powered or low-powered hero in a completely different setting.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    Yes.

But said expansion would need to offer also a new leveling path from level 6. At least one.
  • zer303606zer303606 Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    yes if it seemed good.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yep, but with the caveats above (though I tend to enjoy the campy stuff). I kind of wish they would lay out what the budget for a new zone would be and have a sort of kickstarter campaign to get things going. Have some sort of meter that displays how close they are to having enough to undertake the project. Give unique rewards to those who contribute at various levels. I'd love to see a darker Gotham zone and/or one for a far eastern city.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Absolutely not.

Regular new content is standard for an MMO, it's the reason people pay a monthly subscription fee.

If this game had no subscription model, then paying for an expansion would be fair. But asking for additional money on top of a subscription to unlock game content while nothing new is added outside of said expansion is outrageous.
    edited April 2014
    scorpagor wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

Regular new content is standard for an MMO, it's the reason people pay a monthly subscription fee.

If this game had no subscription model, then paying for an expansion would be fair. But asking for additional money on top of a subscription to unlock game content while nothing new is added outside of said expansion is outrageous.

Doesn't WoW charge like... $50 for an expansion? I mean, not saying this game is WoW caliber... but what if Subbers got it free, and Silvers had to pay?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i'd pay anything for anything. Just bring it on, bitchees.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd pay but I'd rather not see more player segregation get added with a paywall.

Zones are still level restricted, as are lairs. Rampages make sense to be level restricted but Nemcon's 40 only (even with a preformed group) limits it. Level 11 is low enough that AP/CS effectively don't have one (thankfully).

Make the zone free then sell a pack of stuff with the theme of the new zone.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yes if:

1. They add a new "zone" with at least a 5 lvl increase (this should not be a missions zone but an alert zone. You go into this zone and it's a battlefield where you fight off waves of enemies trying to reach a goal => stopping an invasion/destruction/something. This should be a continuous event zone where you need to team up and fight strong enemies). The best example would be SAOs tower advancement or maybe something like DoTA.

2. More lairs/dungeons (whatever you want to call it) -> we need those for longevity. NOTE: when designed the DEVS should take into account farming thus long un-skippable cut scenes are a BIG NO, so are any clunky or gimmick mechanics. Anything that slows you down is annoying when farming. (Forum Malvanum's cut scenes are really painful after the FIRST time. It's just annoying to see them over and over and over and over and over again. No more un-skippable cut scenes.

2. New costume set/pieces (more than just 1)

3. Good/Decent story line (could be as simple as and invasion or the like, it's the most common used plot point in comics and it still works)

4. New power set (Beams and/or Gravity -> come on, how hard can it be to make beams as for Gravity, we already have the animations for those from Vehicles)
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would, but only if:

1. What those other guys said.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Considering Vibora Bay was going to be a paid expansion pack called Champions Online: Revelations, yes I would.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Absolutely, in a heartbeat.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would...anything to get away from the damn peasants.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd pay for an expansion. The more money Cryptic get the longer the servers stay up.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No. Segregating the player base is a bad idea. Having a paid expansion is a huge slap in the face for CO. Neverwinter and STO have regular content updates and expansions for free. All it really does is highlight how poorly the game is treated and how badly F2P was done for it.

Throwing money at Cryptic via a paid expansion isn't going to fix the problems that put CO into the position it is today. Mismanagement and poor F2P implementation did that.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    I'd pay for an expansion. The more money Cryptic get the longer the servers stay up.

^This.

Also I kinda like the idea about having a sort of kickstarter allowing people to help support a new zone by sending money specifically for a new zone, I'm sure some people would complain about it but it might appeal to the people that are concerned that the money they spend on CO is just going to Neverwinter, Star Trek, or the Cryptic Mystery Project instead.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Where will the money come from to make this?
    How will they pay for work hours or new talent?
    With a loan? What if it bombs?
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    [door flies open]

I've already paid good money for City of Villains, Going Rogue, The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, and Mines of Moria through Riders of Rohan. But I'll be damned if I'll pay one thin dime for an expansion to a game I've already paid a monthly or lifetime subscription to play. [shakes fist]

Wait. Am I doing this right? Maybe I should come in again.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited April 2014
    PW finds out that it has 500thousand dollars to spare and gives it to CN to make a new content pack with New Zone.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yes, its not ideal, but its the cryptic we deal with. if its what it takes to get a zone. but it had better be good, or else no cash.
  • akirasanbeerakirasanbeer Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Depends on what we're paying in...
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It would depend greatly on what was in the expansion, I wouldn't buy anything until I knew exactly what it is I am buying.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    draogn wrote: »
    It would depend greatly on what was in the expansion, I wouldn't buy anything until I knew exactly what it is I am buying.

This right here.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    scorpagor wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

This argument would have been relevant if the game was still exclusively pay-to-play.

The times have changed. Silver players can already access the full game content without paying for anything. To expect that an expansion with a new zone, new mission, new lair(s), etc. be made entirely free to everyone, especially silver players when they already get so much for free, when the game is in F2P mode is ludicrous.

What I'd go with is a new zone being offered at a significantly-discounted price, as far as 50% off, to gold players, while the full price remains for silver players.
    edited April 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    The times have changed. Silver players can already access the full game content without paying for anything. To expect that an expansion with a new zone, new mission, new lair(s), etc. be made entirely free to everyone, especially silver players when they already get so much for free, when the game is in F2P mode is ludicrous.

And yet GGG (grinding gear games), a small company with only one game, gives away all of their content for free. This is a company that has everything to lose if their game tanks and here they are, being profitable with free content updates. I suspect in the future small and indie studios will continue to embarrass large companies.
    edited April 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    And yet GGG (grinding gear games), a small company with only one game, gives away all of their content for free. This is a company that has everything to lose if their game tanks and here they are, being profitable with free content updates. I suspect in the future small and indie studios will continue to embarrass large companies.

You omitted certain information, like how the number of registered accounts have hit 2 million as of early last year:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/16/path-of-exile-player-accounts/

2 million registered accounts is pretty exceptional and would be a huge factor as to why they can afford to rely solely on microtransactions for profit and not a subscription model. Not exactly a fair comparison.
    edited April 2014
    Oddly enough, I think Allods Online went from FTP to subscriptions. I'm not entirely sure.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No. Segregating the player base is a bad idea. Having a paid expansion is a huge slap in the face for CO. Neverwinter and STO have regular content updates and expansions for free. All it really does is highlight how poorly the game is treated and how badly F2P was done for it.

Throwing money at Cryptic via a paid expansion isn't going to fix the problems that put CO into the position it is today. Mismanagement and poor F2P implementation did that.

This is pretty much it right here.
    edited April 2014
    You omitted certain information, like how the number of registered accounts have hit 2 million as of early last year:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/16/path-of-exile-player-accounts/

2 million registered accounts is pretty exceptional and would be a huge factor as to why they can afford to rely solely on microtransactions for profit and not a subscription model. Not exactly a fair comparison.

So what? It's a game by an indie studio and they are wildly successful. The game launched last year and already has 2 million accounts. I fail to understand how your link makes what I said any less true or relevant. Looks like an indie company putting larger ones to shame. I'm sure ZeniMax only wishes TESO could be so well received.

PoE is not irreverent because they are successful, their success makes them a model that other people should look at.

The mechanics and ethics of free-to-play in Path of Exile
    edited April 2014
    So what? It's a game by an indie studio and they are wildly successful. The game launched last year and already has 2 million accounts. I fail to understand how your link makes what I said any less true or relevant. Looks like an indie company putting larger ones to shame. I'm sure ZeniMax only wishes TESO could be so well received.

PoE is not irreverent because they are successful, their success makes them a model that other people should look at.

Whatever the case, the 2 million registered users figure is an important point, even though it's an indie company. Does it put huger companies out there to shame? Maybe, but that's beside the point.

2 million players is an amazingly huge market of players and the profit potential from microtransactions would definitely be very remarkable, so much so that they wouldn't have to rely on a recurring subscription model. I don't expect CO to have such numbers to afford doing the exact same thing. That was the point I was making. That's why I'm in the opinion that a new expansion with a new zone and all expected to be offered for free is not realistic.

Another important point that wasn't mentioned is that Path of Exile is an action-RPG rogue-like dark fantasy game, a genre immensely popularized by the Diablo games. The superhero MMORPG genre pales a whole lot in comparison when it comes to popular genres. I'm pretty sure that helped a lot with its current success and it isn't a simple case of any small, random indie company going up against the giants and winning.
    edited April 2014
    So, I can't use indie companies that make successful games and I can't talk about large companies that make successful game since they are always somehow an exception making them irrelevant to every conversation ever. Please give me your approved list of companies and games that I am allowed to make comparisons to.
    edited April 2014
    So, I can't use indie companies that make successful games and I can't talk about large companies that make successful game since they are always somehow an exception making them irrelevant to every conversation ever. Please give me your approved list of companies and games that I am allowed to make comparisons to.

You're free to do whatever you want. I never imposed upon you about what you could or could not do. I was only pointing out certain facts about your example to show that it goes beyond the reasoning of a company being small and doing something that a larger one should be capable of doing.

A very niche superhero MMO genre with a small but dedicated playerbase versus a a hugely popular mainstream genre with 2 million registered players. Do I really need to explain it further?
    edited April 2014
    They did not start off with 2 million registered accounts. I think it is pretty fair to say that they don't give their content out for free because they have that many registered accounts, but rather that they have that many registered accounts because (in part) their FtP model is so liberal.

How many registered accounts does CO have ?

edited April 2014
    I have registered account to WoW. Doesn't mean i play it or spend $ on it.
  • artmanpweartmanpwe Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In regards to the topic. I think It would have to be purchasable with Zen for me to be fine with it. If it was, even if it was unreasonably high (to me), I could still eventually purchase it with my LTS stipend, hence letting the money I paid to get the LTS 'pay for it.'

It would also allow people with monthly subs to 'pay for it' the same way (assuming monthly subs still get a Zen stipend).
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm also of the opinion that as long as it was a cost in Zen to purchase, hthus allowing any gold member to use saved Stipends to get it rather than an entirely new separate purchase, then I'd be glad to pay.

Making it a separate purchase with no Zen buy options is a big middle finger to the gold community, life timers or just subbers like me.

Hell, I think upgrading to gold sub model as well as upgrading to Gold should be possible purely through Zen.

Let the people who choose to farm and or save a stipend a long time get a discount on buying gold to LT.
    edited April 2014
    A very niche superhero MMO genre with a small but dedicated playerbase versus a a hugely popular mainstream genre with 2 million registered players. Do I really need to explain it further?
    ashensnow wrote: »
    They did not start off with 2 million registered accounts. I think it is pretty fair to say that they don't give their content out for free because they have that many registered accounts, but rather that they have that many registered accounts because (in part) their FtP model is so liberal.

I don't see your point. GGG didn't magically come with a large player base nor did they have the budget for a marketing campaign. They had to work for their audience and did it without some big studio helping them out or having paid content. Cryptic and PW do have those kinds of resources and look at where CO is.

A paid expansion isn't going to convince all the people that gave up on the game to come back and I doubt it will draw in new players. People can see that this game has been unloved for a long time. A paid expansion isn't going to change that view. If Cryptic is serious about CO's success, they need to show people that they care about this game, treating it as something more than a cash grab.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And I'd retort: the chances of us getting a new zone out of the kindness of their hearts is slim to none, and we all know it. If buying it makes it possible? It's content we wouldn't have otherwise, and I can't say that's bad. If they announced a preorder expansion, I'd buy it sight unseen. And if it worked, maybe we'd finally get more content.

I can't see it as much of a coincidence that the usual methods of monetizing an mmo were shot down by this community, and now we're left with money-grabs like gamble boxes. Of course we're left with cheap gimmicks now, people shot down all the stuff that actually makes sense.

I still think the adventure packs should be paid, too. Maybe they'd actually drop real rewards. Hell, nobody had a problem buying those.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And I'd retort: the chances of us getting a new zone out of the kindness of their hearts is slim to none, and we all know it. If buying it makes it possible? It's content we wouldn't have otherwise, and I can't say that's bad. If they announced a preorder expansion, I'd buy it sight unseen. And if it worked, maybe we'd finally get more content.

I can't see it as much of a coincidence that the usual methods of monetizing an mmo were shot down by this community, and now we're left with money-grabs like gamble boxes. Of course we're left with cheap gimmicks now, people shot down all the stuff that actually makes sense.

I still think the adventure packs should be paid, too. Maybe they'd actually drop real rewards. Hell, nobody had a problem buying those.

On the other hand, all Perfect World has is a gamblebox hammer, and every MMO they publish looks like a nail. We're not special in that regard. That's just What They Do.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited April 2014
    It's not even the fact that I 'hate' gamble boxes. By all means, release the hell out of them.

Just release OTHER THINGS also.
    edited April 2014
    I don't see your point. GGG didn't magically come with a large player base nor did they have the budget for a marketing campaign. They had to work for their audience.

That was essentially my point.

• gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would pay for a content expansion. We are kind of a niche of a niche game, so I expect to invest more than in other mmo more popular.

I doubt we get a free expansion so I take what it is more feasible.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Dear Champs:

Just hurry up and take my money!
  • flechusflechus Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    But, what if they put an acces pass for said new zone....

IN A LOCKBOX???

could be temporal, maybe like a week(after it gets activated.

I support "Sell Z-store items individually" & Japan Zone
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would pay for it.
    Brou in Cryptic games.