test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Costume Contest Commentary

Comments

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bluhman wrote: »
    I have to ask; when selecting winners, are the posts to ARC/Facebook going to feature the art that was submitted in the submission thread, or will the in-house artists over in CN draw up some cool concept art to even out the odds/give a better idea of what to expect ingame?

This so should be what happens.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Like I said, if the design and concepts are done right, the set could take care of many other concepts as well. Not just us Arachnid and bug lovers.

[/URL]

I do notice that your name is SPIDERdude4 :D :P :biggrin: :tongue:

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • theghosthacktheghosthack Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Personally, I'm rooting for This..Dem armor parts :eek:

if I don't get the opprotunity to vote for one of my own... this will probably be my vote too.
    although the "Beckham fashion" set on the first page was pretty nice too.... though I doubt, highly, that a final version would look half as good as the original art of either of these.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have to ask; when selecting winners, are the posts to ARC/Facebook going to feature the art that was submitted in the submission thread, or will the in-house artists over in CN draw up some cool concept art to even out the odds/give a better idea of what to expect ingame?

The top winners should be done by cryptic's in-house artist. They can link the inspiration that was contributed by the player of course but if it's what will be in game then it shouldn't be what the players added.

I know everyone has been all about the details but I think people are forgetting that those details might get lost because it's just the "inspiration for a real costume in-game" - TT
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    Redrawing entries picked for voting isn't a bad idea.

It could actually work as a filtering, how closely to the original idea these costumes may look ingame.

There is, however, one "if".

Namely, if timeframe between picking 5 costumes for voting, and actual voting, is enough for making art.
    Technically, from the end of the submissions to the start of voting is five days.

In theory if all entries were chosen as soon as the first day of review, it leaves four days for redrawing each submission.

Now, it may or may not be enough time, depends how complicated would be the new art and if artist has other things to draw. Or how much prefabricated things like templates and textures can be used in art.

But if picking entries takes more time, then there may be not enough time to do so.

Just saying.

On the side note, I have little doubt that the final victorious entry will have to be redrawn by concept artist no matter what. Not a single one submission was detailed enough to be of actual use as a documentation for modeling.
  • ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    On the side note, I have little doubt that the final victorious entry will have to be redrawn by concept artist no matter what. Not a single one submission was detailed enough to be of actual use as a documentation for modeling.

Well, if you noticed the very first post on the Costume Contest Forum Thread, it mentions that they're "going to take a player design and use it as the inspiration for a real costume in-game."

Now, the emphasis here should be on the word INSPIRATION.

All of the winning entries' components may not even be included in a set; or any specific parts, for that matter. All we know is that the Devs will take a look at who won, make something based on that concept, and then put it in the Zstore for purchasing.
    It makes sense, if you don't think about it.
    ninjapiff wrote: »
    Well, if you noticed the very first post on the Costume Contest Forum Thread, it mentions that they're "going to take a player design and use it as the inspiration for a real costume in-game."

Now, the emphasis here should be on the word INSPIRATION.

All of the winning entries' components may not even be included in a set; or any specific parts, for that matter. All we know is that the Devs will take a look at who won, make something based on that concept, and then put it in the Zstore for purchasing.

And?

Honestly, I doubt if there was a singe person naive enough to expect that they entries will be taken literally as they were submitted. If there, is then, well... Pity.
    edited April 2014
    I honestly think that if Cryptic are serious enough about the contest, and want to remain credible, then the only way to make it fair is to do some simple concept art of each entry that we will be voting for.

I, for one, wouldn't mind at all if this meant delaying things until they get the concept art done. I'm pretty sure that most others feel the same way (as long as it didn't take too long).
    Throughout the next few weeks players can submit their costume design, consisting of a 1) visual component, and 2) a written description. Don’t worry if you’re not an artist, as long as we have something visually to go with, anything will work.

It has been made clear that this is not an art contest, but more of a concept/inspiration contest.

I would think that making concept art for all the final five might change peoples ideas on which concept they vote for and make it a more even playing field.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Woah! So many people with awesome costumes. The dev said they had choose the 5 costumes they think they can deliver and that are interesting. From the looks of it, I don't think any of my 4 submissions are going to get selected :( .... Dammit! I just wanted enough Zen to get a new AT!!!!

:frown:

Waves magic wand***
    check your forum messages and follow instructions
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited April 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    Waves magic wand***
    check your forum messages and follow instructions

When I am lvl 25 I can begin running nemcon :D ...but how long does it usually take... I hav a really low time cap for the next 2 yrs

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
    edited April 2014
    When I am lvl 25 I can begin running nemcon :D ...but how long does it usually take... I hav a really low time cap for the next 2 yrs

Nemcon is 40 lvl.

At 25 you can create nemesis, but it will not enable nemcon.
  • thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    here are my top 5 from the thread...and the sets I've seen in the thread are all really awesome. But these were the ones I liked the most...and in no particular order.

• ignitussparkignitusspark Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    That is only half-true honestly. If done right, an Arachnid Set could be used for alternate purposes as well. For instance, if the design takes a heavy "Biotech" feel it can easily pass for a Biotech or Alien Armor. Just because it's based off of the concept of a spider doesn't mean it has to be a blatant Spider-Man tights set (besides I'd think Marvel might jump on Cryptic if they made it too much like Spider Man). The costume could also tailor to Scorpions and other insects/Arachnids with the right parts. When it comes to costume sets in the game, we usually buy them for certain parts to play with. In the tailor, the limit is your imagination.

Like I said, if the design and concepts are done right, the set could take care of many other concepts as well. Not just us Arachnid and bug lovers.

Personally, I'm rooting for This..Dem armor parts :eek:

I would really want to see that armor in-game as well :P
    edited April 2014
    thebuckeye wrote: »
    here are my top 5 from the thread...and the sets I've seen in the thread are all really awesome. But these were the ones I liked the most...and in no particular order.

I second your choice abt no. 4 if that gets selected, I had probably vote for it. Not so sure abt no. 1 though.... I have several heads already.... But tbh, if i was choosing between costume packs I had pick that one

~me
    edited April 2014
    weeeeellllllllp,

It's friday.

Althought TT doesn't get into the office usually until later, so we probably wont see anything until this afternoon.....

...anyone else excited?
    edited April 2014
    weeeeellllllllp,

It's friday.

Althought TT doesn't get into the office usually until later, so we probably wont see anything until this afternoon.....

...anyone else excited?

Me XD ....

~me
    edited April 2014
    Nemcon is 40 lvl.

At 25 you can create nemesis, but it will not enable nemcon.

What do I do with my nem then?

~me
    edited April 2014

Um....nemesis missions?
    zrdRBy8.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    When you pick up those little glowing spheres that give you temporary boosts, one of them will occasionally cause a group of your Nem's minions to spawn. Take them out (making sure you aren't stealthed at the time; if they can't see you the moment they appear, they despawn), and one of them will drop a Nemesis Clue. That gives you a Nemesis Mission, which rewards you with Nemesis Tokens. There's a Nem Vendor over by the police station where you first started all this (and another in Vibora Bay, but you'll probably be 40 or at least near it by the time you can find him) who can sell you some cool stuff for Nem Tokens.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    When you pick up those little glowing spheres that give you temporary boosts, one of them will occasionally cause a group of your Nem's minions to spawn. Take them out (making sure you aren't stealthed at the time; if they can't see you the moment they appear, they despawn), and one of them will drop a Nemesis Clue. That gives you a Nemesis Mission, which rewards you with Nemesis Tokens. There's a Nem Vendor over by the police station where you first started all this (and another in Vibora Bay, but you'll probably be 40 or at least near it by the time you can find him) who can sell you some cool stuff for Nem Tokens.

Just to clarify, they only drop clues occasionally, about 1 in 5 times and only if you have completed the previous nemesis mission and if necessary, contacted the relevant NPC depending on messages you receive or mission requirements.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    c3rvand0 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, they only drop clues occasionally, about 1 in 5 times and only if you have completed the previous nemesis mission and if necessary, contacted the relevant NPC depending on messages you receive or mission requirements.

Well... that's only for your first few Nemeses. For some reason, the more Nemeses you make, the quicker you burn through them. I literally got the Electrovoltaic Polyturbine Residue clue as my FIRST Nemesis clue last time (to clarify, that's the clue that leads to locking up your Nemesis).

Your first Nemesis is always the hardest. :rolleyes:
    It makes sense, if you don't think about it.
    Y'know, tech salespeople always say it's all done digitally, I knew they were lying.

It's really personal preference. I find it much easier to sketch by hand, but I've seen people that do it 100% digital. No one way is the "best" way; it all just depends on the artist's preference.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2014
    Well, I noticed that nobody uploaded costume entries to Arc, though they can be voted on Facebook. No, wait... They are here. I forgot to hit refresh button in Chrome :biggrin:
  • ignengiignengi Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Wow, congrats to the first round winners. I had a really hard time choosing which I would choose as my one favorite. Even now, I'm not so sure. I'm really looking forward to which is chosen as the final winner and to have a chance to buy it.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    also try to hit them before they get to you, since a lot of times they vanish as they touch yoou. (bug)

you can get a mission once every 6hrs.
    If you are getting minions but no clues, go see Defender or Captain martin

if you get a clue with a picture other than a ticket, that is a double mission. As soon as you finish the first, you will get given a second.

When you do the bomb in westside one, your next mission will be jail break, usually within a day. You get it from either defender or Martin

If you' re not getting enough glowies, go kill chairs behind the UNTIL building. also a handy way for getting our destroy objects perk.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/champions-online/detail/5001713-costume-contest-voting%21

Alright! The winners include:
    Holo Armor, submitted by Eiledon and Necratech009 -- their ideas were pretty similar, so we're combining them into a single entry.

Cosmic Knight, submitted by Meedacthunist

Variable Robot, submitted by Meedacthunist

Steel Arachnid, submitted by Lilsteffie

Urban Anime, submitted by In54ni7yy
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• agentcanadaagentcanada Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hate me if you like but I hardly think qualifying two entries by the same person counts as five finalists and five potential winners. I'm cool with meedacthunist's entries but that's only four possible winners.
    I'm cool with not placing and there are two entries I do like, but there were a few others that could've easily placed,
    AC
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hate me if you like but I hardly think qualifying two entries by the same person counts as five finalists and five potential winners. I'm cool with meedacthunist's entries but that's only four possible winners.
    I'm cool with not placing and there are two entries I do like, but there were a few others that could've easily placed,
    AC

They did say that you could submit as many as you like.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hmm.... gonna be a tough choice. I do wish a couple other entries made it to the finals, but I'm definitely not complaining about bad choices here. There were a lot of good entries, choosing five finalists couldn't have been easy.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

edited April 2014
    AC
    They did say that you could submit as many as you like.

And, technically one entry has two potential winners...

but I do agree that, while you were allowed to submit as often as you liked, the development team should have limited the finalists to unique community members (no duplicates)
    edited April 2014
    kallethen wrote: »
    Hmm.... gonna be a tough choice. I do wish a couple other entries made it to the finals, but I'm definitely not complaining about bad choices here. There were a lot of good entries, choosing five finalists couldn't have been easy.

Maybe there will be a 'round two'?
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    well I for one am happy to be linked to Necra's entry. Good luck to all the finalists.
    edited April 2014
    AC

Yes. It is a valid concern.

In the worst possible outcome for me, I'll end with two runner-up rewards.

I'd have to ask Trailturtle if it is possible to pass one of them to the person who was a sixth one, but did not made into voting?

I think it would be ok.
    edited April 2014

I'd have to ask Trailturtle if it is possible to pass one of them to the person who was a sixth one, but did not made into voting?

I think it would be ok.

it's really not necessary. You got where you got, fair and square.
    It's more that the developers should have had a bit more sense in the first place.
    edited April 2014
    That's a totally classy move though on your part though meedacthunist.
    Thanks for not being offened either,
    AC
    edited April 2014
    kallethen wrote: »
    it's really not necessary. You got where you got, fair and square.
    It's more that the developers should have had a bit more sense in the first place.

I honestly think Meeda's the type to be more concerned about the in-game result than the prize money. Hell, I'm willing to bet most of the participants were.

Like I said, they could host another similar contest and the result would be the same if they didn't offer rewards.
    edited April 2014
    That's a totally classy move though on your part though meedacthunist.
    Thanks for not being offened either,
    AC

Epically good form, agreed. :cool:
  • archerrobarcherrob Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    AC
    Well they did also combine two entries into one with the holo wings and armor, so if it wins there will be two winners.

"Holo Armor, submitted by Eiledon and Necratech009 -- their ideas were pretty similar, so we're combining them into a single entry. View Eiledon's full entry at tinyurl.com/l87qb3m, and Necratech009's at tinyurl.com/kyn29oj."
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ninjapiff wrote: »
    Well... that's only for your first few Nemeses. For some reason, the more Nemeses you make, the quicker you burn through them. I literally got the Electrovoltaic Polyturbine Residue clue as my FIRST Nemesis clue last time (to clarify, that's the clue that leads to locking up your Nemesis).

Your first Nemesis is always the hardest. :rolleyes:

But, they don't drop a clue every time, which is what I was saying, no matter how many nemeses you have locked up. But I do agree, they do seem to get quicker as you progress, but that's more to fewer nemesis missions before the final one.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited April 2014

The art in the submission thread. It would be cool if we had the bandwidth to do something like that, but it's not feasible for us to do a full kickoff and concept for all five before putting them to a vote.

I think it would be ok.

If you want to, absolutely! I agree it's a little weird to have had two from the same person, and two entries combined into one, but our ultimate goal is to have a great costume come out of this. All things serve the Beam, and while the contest is a very nice thing, our telos is an awesome costume set, and everything else is supporting that goal.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    AC

People were encouraged to submit multiple entries, and they never exactly said that there would be five entries chosen by the developers from five different people.

They did mention five finalists, but they could have meant entries, not entrants.

Edit: Oops, way late to the party with my reply... not sure why I thought that was the last post made before I posted :P
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2014
    If you want to, absolutely!

Ok, so one reward wil go to whoever was the sixt one.

I'm also not very surprised that entries weren't redone by concept artist.

Timeframe for the contest was pretty tight, after all.

Oh, and combining similar ideas was also suggested by the community on this very forum. Can't be upset because devs listened to the feedback, right?

For now I know that I'd have use for set inspired by literally every entry, save for Urban Anime. And that's precisely because I don't have ideas for using more urban clothes.
    Otherwise, every other entry has elements that were needed for me for a some time.
    edited April 2014
    No worries biff, I wasn't offended, that's what commentary thread is for right?

I can only mirror what meedacthunist said about a lot of the entries having needed/wanted pieces.

I would like to see this kind of event again, maybe like an anniversary special or something.
    AC
  • nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Urh....some of those entries are like :eek:. I thought we are stopping the gender specific costumes. Also what's wrong with the CO devs....too much Japanese girl costume sets >_>.

Oh well... once you make the costume I'll decide if I buy it or not.

BTW: For the Cosmic Knight please tell me you don't indent to call just the thighs a costume set. You only showed an image of the thighs not the rest of the armor.
    edited April 2014
    nightr0d wrote: »
    BTW: For the Cosmic Knight please tell me you don't indent to call just the thighs a costume set. You only showed an image of the thighs not the rest of the armor.
    There is the link to the complete of image on both FB and Arc. It is easy to miss, though.

I saw that some people already think that Cosmic Knight is ony a pattern of glow tights because only the part of it is visible in gallery.

Sadly, both FB and Arc galleries have pretty small windows. It may be misleading.
    edited April 2014
    There is the link to the complete of image on both FB and Arc. It is easy to miss, though.

I saw that some people already think that Cosmic Knight is ony a pattern of glow tights because only the part of it is visible in gallery.

I don't see the link but if you say so.
    edited April 2014
    The art in the submission thread. It would be cool if we had the bandwidth to do something like that, but it's not feasible for us to do a full kickoff and concept for all five before putting them to a vote.

If you want to, absolutely! I agree it's a little weird to have had two from the same person, and two entries combined into one, but our ultimate goal is to have a great costume come out of this. All things serve the Beam, and while the contest is a very nice thing, our telos is an awesome costume set, and everything else is supporting that goal.

So, how about a round 2? It would be a waste not to make use of them.
    edited April 2014
    nightr0d wrote: »
    I don't see the link but if you say so.

There are very small tinyurl links in description of every entry if you go deeper into the gallery and enlarge the image.

But since they aren't hotlinked and are moved too deep, Holo Armor, Variable Robot and Cosmic Knights are seen only partially by most of the people.

Only Urban Anime and Steel Spider are not cropped down on FB, and only Steel Spider is entirely visible on Arc.

On the Arc, however, there are no links at all, since there are no descriptions next to enlarged images.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Can't vote. I like them all...

I am crippled with indecision.
  • type61type61 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I suppose I should have elaborated more on my submissions, do you suppose the judges will mention the other runners up?