test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

BULLETPROOF - Dual Pistols Build

loremipsom14loremipsom14 Posts: 5 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Builds and Roles
Hello CO peeps! This is Bulletproof Jones, a fun PVE dual pistols build I'm currently using. I was hoping the community could help me tweak her a bit. I play very casually, solo a lot and don't generally PVP . So this is not a PVP build , she's a fun thematic build.

Theme /Powers
BP's powers are that she is a super tough "Bulletproof" character that is super strong, fast, agile and can absorb energy & redirect energy . That energy can be used for a variety of effects, like energy projection, powering devices, self healing, boosting her stats and maybe even flight. She's an amalgam of Jakita Wagner + Bishop.

Even though she primarily uses munitions power set, her weapons are powered by the energy she absorbs. That is why she never runs out of bullets. :smile: Her weapons are merely hand held foci that help her focus her attacks. They could be anything. They just happen to be guns. In fact, her weapons are non functional, so they could not be used against her (that would be bad). If push came to shove and she didn't have her weapons handy, she would shoot off a power blast.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Jakarta "BULLETPROOF" Jones

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
Level 15: Ego (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Void
Level 6: Boundless Reserves
Level 9: Daredevil
Level 12: Ascetic
Level 15: Enduring
Level 18: Healthy Mind
Level 21: Sniper Training

Powers:
Level 1: Gunslinger
Level 1: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Close the Gap)
Level 6: Killer Instinct
Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
Level 20: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Lead Tempest (Rank 2, Tread Softly)
Level 26: Gatling Gun (Rank 2, Listen to Reason)
Level 29: Quarry
Level 32: Ego Surge
Level 35: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Miniaturization Drive

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Versatility)
Level 35: Hover Disk

Specializations:
Constitution: Unyielding (2/2)
Constitution: Tough (1/3)
Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
Constitution: Quick Healing (3/3)
Constitution: Armored (2/2)
Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
Avenger: Anguish (2/2)
Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
Avenger: Relentless Assault (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Locus (2/2)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

Some questions about the build
Super Stats
I've built her as a CON/END , but I was wondering what the 3rd SS should be? I've got Ego in this build , but I'm not sure what that should be and how many points I should put into that stat. Does the 3rd SS make that much of an impact?

FYI: I did test DEX/EGO in PTS and while that did seem like it gave me higher DPS, I find that I like the "feel" of CON/END, but I'm not married to it. I'm open to suggestions

Ranks & Advantages
I obviously went for survivability over DPS here but, I wonder if the advantage Lead tempest/ tread softly is even worth it for this toon? Does quarry need to be ranked? What else needs a change?

Specializations
There is probably a lot room for improvement here. It's hodge-podged from other builds I've found on the forums. So it "seems" ok, but I'm not sure

Talents
I think I got this right as well. Suggestions welcome

Gear
So I'm picking up all this swag for missions, what should I choose base on my SS & specialization's? I guess at some point it' looks like I'll be crafting, so how should that work for this build?

Powers
Anything missing? I'm not fully sold on gattling gun, especially the damage. But it is a 100ft attack with an AoE and a fear advantage. Assault rifle is redundant with TGM. I could go with something like Defile , and use it as a situational attack. Force cascade could fit, but I hated the interrupt when I tested it

Some thoughts for players who may consider using this build
For all new players that have not tried a dual pistols build I would suggest you try this one. It's not the best out there, but it works for me. It levels fast It has high survivability. The one problem you will face is overconfidence. That will always get you killed. :)

I wanted to play a ranged toon, but found all the other powers just didn't "feel" right to me. I also did not want to be "squishy". This toon isn't made to be a tank, but she can take a lot of hits. But look out for big spike alphas. Invulnerability is great for most of PVE and for fighting mobs. For the alpha strikes I try and make sure I have my shield ready to go. Sometimes it even helps ;)

LT + TGM will take down most everything. You'll generally need a few applications (wash, rinse repeat) , but most fights don't last very long. For LT's and Bosses, I use TGM like it's going out of style

Some nice things about this build.

* It's not squishy. I run IDF full time as well. I've tested the build on 5 man hard , with all 3 bad guy teams. It can breeze through it all. While the Hard man 5 is hardly a real test of real game play, 2 man hard is more accurate for PVE

* I'm still early in the build, but I was able to go toe to toe with a Mega Destroid with no issues. But watch out for the alpha strikes. In the early game there is that warehouse filled with the purple gang. My other toons really struggled with that. This toon, just laid waste to them.

* It kills stuff sorta fast. Sometimes. While this is not DPS & crit optimized, it eliminates threats fast enough to still be real fun. Where this toon struggles is against bad guys like Shadow Destroyer. My finger still aches from spamming TGM. Any suggestions on how to overcome this are very welcome.

* Energy is not an issue. The best advice I read on the forum was about getting an energy unlock early. I use KI and it works great for this build. If I do run low, the block/shield sucks up energy like a sponge. Don't worry, they will be attacking you.

* It has 2 minor heals & 1 major heal( conviction & BCR) . This may be overkill, but it works for me. Use these minor heals often and you won't really need resurgence. It's there for that "OH $#!7!" moment, which can happen when you get overconfident or get hit by an unexpected alpha. And I do get overconfident and not watch the bar.

* It has a nice damage boost in Ego Surge/ Nimble mind. In PTS it seems to fit the best for this build and my play style. I'm open to suggestion for something that has synergy with IDF ( I like running with it on) and the SS

* There is a fear attack. You get this with your only 100 ft attack, gattling gun. While I'm not a fan of GG for damage, the fear advantage and AoE are pretty nice to start a fight with. I try and line up the attack with GG then go in with LT and mop up with TGM. Also, as a ranged toon , I find it's handy to have a 100 ft attack

* It has a debuff. Debuffs are good! I'm still on the fence about miniaturization drive, mostly because I don't know if it fits the theme 100%. Either way, I open up with this and use every time it's up.

Thanks in advance!

LI :biggrin:

Edit: added some color to the build
Post edited by loremipsom14 on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Eh, for all the interesting character BG, its more of a standard TGM build, but using IDF as the toggle (which I prob wouldn't advise in this case- ur missing out on much energy and extra dmg from not taking Concentration). If ur using Invuln passive, its damage shield is already really good and better than IDF anyways- you shouldn't need IDF w/ all the defenses and heals you have setup here.

Since you aren't really tanking (no challenging advs), Con SS isn't really the best choice- unless ya want some extra passive knock resist. Ego PSS would prob serve you better overall. I'd prob go w/ a EGO/Dex/Con SS setup. Can always rank up the block for better knock resist when blocking, or gear some Strength, or grab CoPD.

I'd prob also replace Resurgence w/ MD or Unbreakable, since you already have two regular heal powers (Conviction and BCR- I'd take Reiki adv on BCR if you chose MD). Alternatively, you'd also prob be fine dropping one of the reg heals for MD_Unbreakable (less overall energy use, but more reliant on cds).

Also, you can't have 2 slotted passives running at once, so I'm not sure what an non-ranked Quarry is doing in there. You could only use it if you liked to change between >1 build, else Invuln is the passive ur always running and Quarry is a waste of a power slot.

Also prob don't need Gatling Gun w/ LT around, unless you just like it visually. I'd prob change that for Shotgun for some Muni CC (or maybe Force Geyser if ya dun want the knockback). You don't really need a single Fear debuff when solo-ing (outside of using Spirit Reverb) since it won't have much an impact, and Sniper Rifle or Rocket is better as a long-range alpha strike.

You said you took Ego Surge w/ NM, but I don't see NM chosen in the build.

Don't worry about crafting. They pretty much dismantled the old system and added revamped gear- so everything ya can get from missions, heirloom gear, or just buy of the Auction as you level.

And I'd prob trade Avenger spec for Vindicator spec, and trade Locus for Find the Mark in Guardian.

Edit: Oh, I prob seemed too critical in this reply. Its a good build and character concept, but I'd tweak it a bit differently in places.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Peace of mind wouldn't let me play a build like this unless:

1. Primary EGO
    2. Concentration
    3. At least 1 power at Rank 3

Really, EGO is the only needed superstat for munitions. Ego boosts Killer Instinct, Concentration, and Ranged in general. Also the offensive based talent tree is pretty spectacular even for a defensive passive toon.

Concentration. In my opinion, the best form overall. Lenient stats (Ego or Int), high boost to ranged, and more energy than any munitions toon will ever need. Unless you are a pet master character, Concentration will be head and shoulders above IDF in...every situation. I know you said you like IDF for thematic reasons, but even I couldn't justify it here.

Power at R3. Defensive passive already limits what you can do offensively. No added damage from passive...no option to run in an offensive role. That leaves your superstat/talent tree choice and actual power rankings and advantages. EGO primary solves half of that problem. Having a power at R3 solves the other. Unless you can ensure you spend around 90% of your time in melee combat, I would trade out Close the Gap for R3. If you decide to keep Gatling Gun, I would rank it to 3 instead of Listen to Reason as well.

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • loremipsom14loremipsom14 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

This is my first FF build and I was confused on quarry. I had it in my head that I could have both an offensive and defensive passive. That just wasn't obvious to me
    I forgot to add the nimble mind. I worked on this a bit fast ;)

I'm going to run the toon through these suggestions and report back.

Thanks again
  • loremipsom14loremipsom14 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yep, you were right. This build cuts through mobs like a laser through butter :smile:
    I was way too addicted to how she played in the powerhouse on a hard man 5. I took her back out to battle Shadow Destroyer and that fight ended MUCH faster with no noticeable drop in survivabilty.

This is how she's sitting now. DEFINITELY getting concentration. I'm leaning toward MD for my play style over unbreakable. I still need to play around with the ranks so they balance out a bit more. After MD It looks like I only have 7 points left. On live she's only 17, so I have a bit of time to work this all out.

Any suggestions on the last 2 powers?

Thanks again guys

Name: Bulletproof Jones

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 6: Shooter
    Level 9: Ascetic
    Level 12: Acrobat
    Level 15: Indomitable
    Level 18: Academics
    Level 21: Martial Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Lead Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Concentration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Masterful Dodge (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Gatling Gun
    Level 32: Miniaturization Drive
    Level 35:
    Level 38:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Athletics

Specializations:
    Ego: Mental Endurance (3/3)
    Ego: Aggression (2/2)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Exploit Opening (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Guardian: Make It Count (3/3)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)
  • jamesbonnelljamesbonnell Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Note - you certainly CAN have a second passive - I do it for most, but not all, of my freeforms (lifetimer, all of mine are FF).

BUT I would strongly urge you to rank it up fully if you took it! Except for, say, Defiance, since it only gives you more stacks, not better protection. It's the most form-like of the passives that way.

Speaking of - *don't* rank up Concentration. I advise to never rank forms - the extra ranks only gives you extra stacks, and you'll get stacks fast enough that you'll never even notice them soon. They don't help you other than that.

Move those points somewhere else.

Also, there's no need to ever rank up Masterful Dodge. It's great right out of the gate.

Quarry or Targeting Computer would be good choices.

Having both a defensive and an offensive passive gives you flexibility.

Hybrid Invuln - good heals, good damage, good survivability.
    Tank Invuln - not so good heals and damage, but more threat and more survivability (theoretically)
    Hybrid Quarry - good heals, better damage, decent survivability
    Ranged Quarry - not so good heals, great damage, decent survivabilty.

I'd still go the advantage on Lead Tempest over R3 myself. the dodge and avoid, especially with concentration, is too good for me to pass up.

If you're going to not rank up Gatling Gun, I just wouldn't take it. I make it a rule to rank up attacks, UNLESS they're just there for the extra advantage (say, Ebb and Flow on Crashing Wave Kick).

I have been having a lot of fun on my muni guy with Rocket Launcher, so I'll make a plug for that.

Other than that, solid build!

energy unlock, block replacer, form, passive, couple attacks, looks solid.

If your concept can take it, I sometimes grab Reciprocating Gizmo on Mini Drive, for the +damage - every little bit helps.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Note - you certainly CAN have a second passive - I do it for most, but not all, of my freeforms (lifetimer, all of mine are FF).

BUT I would strongly urge you to rank it up fully if you took it! Except for, say, Defiance, since it only gives you more stacks, not better protection. It's the most form-like of the passives that way.

Yeah, but it ultimately depends on the player. Most I encounter don't do complete or partial build swaps. It can be effective, ofc, but you have to want to play around it.

That said, even w/o >1 passive, you can swap roles as FF to gain some of this potential. In this case, Tank role for higher health and aggro for groups or harder content, Hybrid form for solo or easier content (~12-20% base dmg boost to powers, depending on gear, and no energy penalty). Most of my tanks do this, actually.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yep, you were right. This build cuts through mobs like a laser through butter :smile:
    I was way too addicted to how she played in the powerhouse on a hard man 5. I took her back out to battle Shadow Destroyer and that fight ended MUCH faster with no noticeable drop in survivabilty.

This is how she's sitting now. DEFINITELY getting concentration. I'm leaning toward MD for my play style over unbreakable. I still need to play around with the ranks so they balance out a bit more. After MD It looks like I only have 7 points left. On live she's only 17, so I have a bit of time to work this all out.

Any suggestions on the last 2 powers?

Thanks again guys

Name: Bulletproof Jones

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 6: Shooter
    Level 9: Ascetic
    Level 12: Acrobat
    Level 15: Indomitable
    Level 18: Academics
    Level 21: Martial Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Lead Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Concentration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Masterful Dodge (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Gatling Gun
    Level 32: Miniaturization Drive
    Level 35:
    Level 38:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Athletics

Specializations:
    Ego: Mental Endurance (3/3)
    Ego: Aggression (2/2)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Exploit Opening (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Guardian: Make It Count (3/3)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Looking a lot better.

However:

1. No need to rank Concentration. You will build stacks fast as it is, and at the end of the day, 8 stacks is 8 stacks whether you started with 1 or 3.

2. Move those ranks to Gatling Gun. Definitely want that at R3

3. Move at least R3 Masterful Dodge into R2 and R3 Athletics. You won't be sorry.

4. I would take Ego Surge as active offense, and take R2 from MD to have Nimble Mind.

5. Last power I would take would be flashy...I like shiny things. Maybe Implosion Engine or Orbital Cannon. R3 Engine or R2/Anvil on Cannon.

Overall looks good, and looks like a good time as well.

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv