test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Costume Contest Top Five ( what`s your pick)

nicey102nicey102 Posts: 41 Arc User
Hey guys I know the costume contest is over and now the devs are pondering over their decision for the top five. But I`m wondering what`s your top five? :)
Post edited by nicey102 on

Comments

• lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If you wanna choose, pick a submission that was one other than your own.

Personally i don't think it's a good idea to start picking out submissions yet ...

It might cause some problems when you start picking out submissions and others didn't get picked.

Sorry, i'll keep my preferences to myself.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • nicey102nicey102 Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lilsteffie wrote: »
    If you wanna choose, pick a submission that was one other than your own.

Personally i don't think it's a good idea to start picking out submissions yet ...

It might cause some problems when you start picking out submissions and others didn't get picked.

Sorry, i'll keep my preferences to myself.

Ok cool I respect your decision and anyone else who feels the same way
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    I sense much excrements hitting the fan with this thread... :biggrin:

Let's wait till devs announced their picks.
  • novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    eiledon wrote: »
    I agree with Genz. this can only end in tears.

^ x9,000,000 to the power of infinity

When I saw this post, my heart froze lol.... besides, one can never be sure what kind of costume ideas the devs actually are sniping

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • nicey102nicey102 Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sorry about posting this, I should of thought this out before posting it
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think my onesie idea should win purely because I posted 3 pictures from the anime Lain, that's like an instant win right there and you know it! ;D

But really there were many more than five that I really did see a lot of work and thought put into that also look like some really interesting idea's for things we don't already have. I would put any names down ofcourse, but I do hope that one of those people who worked so hard on their costume idea's and the way it looks wins.

However saying that I expect that nepht's entry will trump all other entries, it may even be better than my lain inspired onesie!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Mine, Mine, Mine, Mine and Mine.

I really want a giant creepeh toy bunneh head >_>
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Honestly, I'll say this...

No matter what wins, I'm avoiding the forums. Something will win, someone will say that it shouldn't have and explode.

I won't lie, though- certain submissions didn't meet the criteria, so I can identify right now what they are. I won't.
    edited April 2014
    Honestly, I'll say this...

No matter what wins, I'm avoiding the forums. Something will win, someone will say that it shouldn't have and explode.

I won't lie, though- certain submissions didn't meet the criteria, so I can identify right now what they are. I won't.

Are you talking about my bunneh head...dont make me slap you wit Caliga's used underpants U_U
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited April 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    Are you talking about my bunneh head...dont make me slap you wit Caliga's used underpants U_U

1- I think we do need a bunneh head.

2- Caliga doesn't wear underpants.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I sense much excrements hitting the fan with this thread... :biggrin:

Let's wait till devs announced their picks.

Yeah, then the real sh*t storm can hit the fan :D
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    IMO there should not be a problem with this. It's people's opinion and NOBODY has the right to deny them that just because there will be this one Q.Q guy who can't handle reality.

The only ones who will cry are those who are immature and that are too obsessed with winning. Anyone with a pair of eyes and a brain can tell that some submissions are a joke (as in intended like Nepht's) or are so poorly drawn that a kinder gardener could have done a better job. Thus, they are out of the question.

There are a lot of submissions I like but my number 1. is the last one from necratech009.

I find it a bit asinine to avoid stating one's opinion because someone will Q.Q about it. People should just grow up and deal with it.
    edited April 2014
    nightr0d wrote: »
    IMO there should not be a problem with this. It's people's opinion and NOBODY has the right to deny them that just because there will be this one Q.Q guy who can't handle reality.

The only ones who will cry are those who are immature and that are too obsessed with winning. Anyone with a pair of eyes and a brain can tell that some submissions are a joke (as in intended like Nepht's) or are so poorly drawn that a kinder gardener could have done a better job. Thus, they are out of the question.

There are a lot of submissions I like but my number 1. is the last one from necratech009.

I find it a bit asinine to avoid stating one's opinion because someone will Q.Q about it. People should just grow up and deal with it.

It's entirely possible that we're wanting to avoid the squabbling. Just a thought. Forums are toxic enough as it is without more fuel. You already can't say "I don't prefer more magic" without twenty people acting like you've burned down their church.
    edited April 2014
    bwdares wrote: »
    Yeah, then the real sh*t storm can hit the fan :D
    Got beer.
    Got smokes.
    Got snacks.
    I'm ready. :D

Meh. It's more about people being upset because they stated their opinion and then said entry wasn't picked by the devs.
    Which will happend, inevitably, and then, there will be complaining, because forums are silly like that.

Hmm...
    Nope. Upon consideration, I'm wrong.

People will complain no matter what will be picked and voted. :biggrin:
    edited April 2014
    It's entirely possible that we're wanting to avoid the squabbling. Just a thought. Forums are toxic enough as it is without more fuel. You already can't say "I don't prefer more magic" without twenty people acting like you've burned down their church.

That's the thing though. Let them huff and puff as much as they want. There are moderators to take care of things if they get out of hand. What's the worst they can do? Make angry posts? Yeah.....there are bigger problems in the world than some lunatics raging in a forum.

You know as well as I do that those who'll rage and Q.Q will do so regardless. Now or when the votes are in => no difference.

At least I don't want to avoid stating MY opinion because some kid who can't handle reality. I think it's better for them to not be pampered but rather faced with facts/truth/reality.
    edited April 2014
    Got beer.
    Got smokes.
    Got snacks.
    I'm ready. :D

Meh. It's more about people being upset because they stated their opinion and then said entry wasn't picked by the devs.
    Which will happend, inevitably, and then, there will be complaining, because forums are silly like that.

Hmm...
    Nope. Upon consideration, I'm wrong.

People will complain no matter what will be picked and voted. :biggrin:

I made an entry which will not be picked. It's not because the images are not good it's because I doubt Cryptic will spend the time to design something similar to what I suggested.

But you know what? I don't care. I've seen some awesome submissions and they deserve to win. As long as the devs don't go derp on us like with the Barney costume (>_>) and pick the joke sets from among the submissions I'm ok.

Otherwise, they simply won't get my $$$ and that's that :tongue:.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, atleast they can't farg up this competition like they did with the 'Design A Villain' one.
    Right?
    Right.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited April 2014
    Thing is, as good as some of our artists are, I think another thing to consider-

Forget artistic talent. Some of the ideas were just as solid, and had a basic reference (even my first submission was just a collection of pictures of samples for reference, Meeda drew the second one).

The thing is, some of the 'poorly drawn' ideas I saw would work well as costumes. 2D doesn't always turn into good 3d, after all. Sometimes it's the other way around.

I honestly don't know. Anything Meeda came up with or drew is awesome, but generally speaking as long as it's not anime or furry, I'll probably buy it (And that's more because I don't really use or prefer those themes).
    edited April 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Well, atleast they can't farg up this competition like they did with the 'Design A Villain' one.
    Right?
    Right.

Well as I stated in another thread....YES they can. The problem is that they will pick the top 5 costumes which WE are supposed to want/pick from. They should have only removed the ones they don't have the tech for and allow us to pick among all of those which are viable.

That's my only gripe with the contest. They basically tell me that I can pick among X but what if I want Y and Y is perfectly doable but they did not pick it? If this was an experiment it would be biased from the start but oh well....
    edited April 2014
    Thing is, as good as some of our artists are, I think another thing to consider-

Forget artistic talent. Some of the ideas were just as solid, and had a basic reference (even my first submission was just a collection of pictures of samples for reference, Meeda drew the second one).

The thing is, some of the 'poorly drawn' ideas I saw would work well as costumes. 2D doesn't always turn into good 3d, after all. Sometimes it's the other way around.

I honestly don't know. Anything Meeda came up with or drew is awesome, but generally speaking as long as it's not anime or furry, I'll probably buy it (And that's more because I don't really use or prefer those themes).

Depends what you mean by anime (anime clothes/hair etc..). Personally I love anime inspired armors/tech. I'm tired of Ironman, RoboCop, MasterChief and Soldier sets. I'd probably buy them since I generally love armor sets but I'd prefer something that we don't already have.

Take for example the set that is on PTS. It's nice and all in concept but I tried using the pieces and the only one that was really unique and nice was the "collar". There is nothing else that stood out for me in that set.
    edited April 2014
    Take for example the set that is on PTS. It's nice and all in concept but I tried using the pieces and the only one that was really unique and nice was the "collar". There is nothing else that stood out for me in that set.
    We're on the same side with this set, then. I checked it in tailor and I don't know if to pick it, because it does not exactly offer nothing more unique than good old Legacy Power Armor, which also has generic light tech lookig armor parts. It is cool and detailed, but I'm not sure if collar alone is worth it, especially since I already have tights with glows from samurai robot set.

I can already make sci-fi soldiers if I want.

The only light armors that could add anything to my costume collection would be either ones with camouflage patterns, or something very streamlined and light, lighter than already existing sets. Something on pair with Cyberpunk plates, but opaque and preferably also with camo pattern enabled.

Oh, but I do thing that co lacks crude square armor parts. Yes, we have many bulky armor parts, but they are all look more like oversized action figure parts, not an actual heavy armor plating, all are rounded and most of the time available only with metal texture. If I create something heavy armored, I mean really HEAVY armored. Crude, matte, menacing. Like actual tanks.
    edited April 2014
    Depends what you mean by anime (anime clothes/hair etc..). Personally I love anime inspired armors/tech. I'm tired of Ironman, RoboCop, MasterChief and Soldier sets. I'd probably buy them since I generally love armor sets but I'd prefer something that we don't already have.

Yeah, but at the same time- I'm tired of obscenely huge armor parts- Not to mention, my major frustration is that they're all metal. That kills it for me.. I like smaller, sleeker, and more universal parts.

And it's hard to say we're getting 'Soldier' parts when we've yet to see a gun added to this game since the ping-pong gun... or the candy cane rifle. I'd have named it something else.

The tights aren't bad, if you use tights. The thigh plates work nicely as well, if you have a ninja/samurai tech character.
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, but at the same time- I'm tired of obscenely huge armor parts- Not to mention, my major frustration is that they're all metal. That kills it for me.. I like smaller, sleeker, and more universal parts.

And it's hard to say we're getting 'Soldier' parts when we've yet to see a gun added to this game since the ping-pong gun... or the candy cane rifle. I'd have named it something else.

The tights aren't bad, if you use tights. The thigh plates work nicely as well, if you have a ninja/samurai tech character.

Definitely, in my "submission" I did suggest some anime inspired armors but I wanted them to be sleek. I'm not into bulky stuff like Black Talon.

By Soldier I did not mean weapons. As far as I can tell a weapon set is a pipe dream. If Cryptic can't give us the old PR costume unlocks back I'm not holding my breath for them to make new ones.

The reason the weapons packs did not do so well was not because people don't want weapon skins it's because those costume pieces look horrible IMO + they cost as much as a full costume set which I call BS on it taking the same effort.
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have points to make and none of them are about this subject but fit well into this thread.

1. Does Cyber consider Tokusatsu to fall into the Anime Category? I mean, it's not from animated sources but the majority of the inspiration/themes are from Japan.

2. I'm agree with alot of the latest posts here. I've always thought that Cryptic(and now CN)'s focus on "Theme" makes some sense from a sales perspective but I've usually found myself buying an entire costume set for those 1-2 pieces which were generic and versatile enough to work into many costumes/looks. I think we need some "Generic Bits Bundles" or "Hodge Podge Sets."

3. I'd like to see more useful and accurate parts like knee pads that actually cover the knees.

4. EVERYTHING should come in Cloth, Leather, Metal, and when possible Irridescent. EVERYTHING.

5. NOTHING should come in that weird color pattern that the short 90's boots has where you have to all but make them solid to not make them look wrong...or the Dragon Armor stuff which some pieces have pallette issues where they only match themselves.

6. Whenever possible stuff should tap into the full textures library. As an example the 1st helmet I proposed in my set is intentionally super generic and smooth just for that purpose. Heck, the existing riot gear eye acc would be pretty cool if you could apply the full mask textures to it. More options = more options.

7. And finally, I believe for CN to go forward where Cryptic apparently could not a few things need to happen:

-Listening to PTS Feedback(This is mostly happening atm which, honestly, pleases me greatly)
    -When making a costume set remember that toons have a back and sides as well as a front.
    -When making a costume set remember that toons can be made in both Male and Female.
    -Gender Specific should be kept to a bare minimum as much as is humanly possible.
    -Gender Specific For No Good Freaking Reason should die in a fire....never to return.
    -Unique For No Good Freaking Reason should also die in a fire. I actually saw someone propose a "Gut" option....I saw that piece in The Broken PTS Tailor Incident. It's there. We could have it.
    -Unique Because it's Iconic is ok in some aspects but that's when things should just be reskinned. We can't have Clarence's head. Ok, polish it up and make a regular and panda skin for it and let us have that instead. Keep the grim looking battle damaged Clarence head for Clarence. Same with Destroyer....Defender...and over 100 other bits.
    -Someone please fix the 4th color in the tailor for everything.
    -It's about time for a "Tailor Pass."
    -Streamlined Creation for new players is one of the single stupidest things in this entire game. When customization is your key selling point you don't hamstring it to potential new customers.
    -If a new item only uses 2 colors....either make another skin option for it with more color options or find a way to shoehorn in a 3rd color and make the 4th color for irridescent. There are 4 potential colors...let's make use of them whenever possible.
    -STO's tailor/customization is painful compared to CO(NW is a joke) BUT they have sizable/placable tattoos and you can also put them on the face. Can we PLEASE have this?

Ok, there's probably more that could be added to this but I'll stop for now. :biggrin:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
    edited April 2014
    We're on the same side with this set, then. I checked it in tailor and I don't know if to pick it, because it does not exactly offer nothing more unique than good old Legacy Power Armor, which also has generic light tech lookig armor parts. It is cool and detailed, but I'm not sure if collar alone is worth it, especially since I already have tights with glows from samurai robot set.

I can already make sci-fi soldiers if I want.

The only armors that could add anything to my costume collection would be either light armor with camouflage patterns, or something very streamlined and light, lighter than already existing sets. Something on pair with Cyberpunk plates, but opaque and preferably also with camo pattern enabled.

Sleek power armor FTW!!!

I want them to add more armors like the Holo Hex/Cyberpunk or even Sci-Fi. Those are quality sets which while fitting a theme are versatile enough to mix and match.

The issues with most sets lately is that they don't seem that well thought out or just randomly pop out of the blue. I recall the Sharkfin set (meh except for the helmet and even that is quite specific so...), then we have the Robo Samurai (again meh except for the thighs, some ppl like the sword and the helmet but the other pieces in the set are a waste of development time). Even the Socrates set is kinda meh, it's so specific you don't really have much to mix it with.

Then we have :eek::confused: sets like the Dino one and the Flower/Nature (or whatever it's called). I have no idea how they thought those warrant development time.
    edited April 2014
    Then we have :eek::confused: sets like the Dino one and the Flower/Nature (or whatever it's called). I have no idea how they thought those warrant development time.

People were asking for nature-themed costumes for a while, as well as powers. We never saw the powers. I'm with you on this one, though... not sure what the deal was... but I'm sure that some people wanted it. I personally thought Magical Girl was a waste, because gender-exclusive costume sets are a pretty lousy idea. Should have packed in some sort of male formal sorcery set with it.

However, Dark Demon armor is the absolute worst costume in the C-store. ANYTHING else in this game, I can see being an okay idea. But it's a costume for full price... with 5 parts. That's it. Go look at it. And I think some of those parts are unlockable in game, but I can't back that up.

A weapons pack can be hit or miss (they do have to set the emanation point and work the scaling on them just like a costume) but they've effectively gutted a lot of the better choices from the game and given us candy canes, fish, and ping-pong guns. I'd pay for it. Hell, I'd buy every one they made (I have various weapon-users)
    edited April 2014
    People were asking for nature-themed costumes for a while, as well as powers. We never saw the powers. I'm with you on this one, though... not sure what the deal was... but I'm sure that some people wanted it. I personally thought Magical Girl was a waste, because gender-exclusive costume sets are a pretty lousy idea. Should have packed in some sort of male formal sorcery set with it.

However, Dark Demon armor is the absolute worst costume in the C-store. ANYTHING else in this game, I can see being an okay idea. But it's a costume for full price... with 5 parts. That's it. Go look at it. And I think some of those parts are unlockable in game, but I can't back that up.

A weapons pack can be hit or miss (they do have to set the emanation point and work the scaling on them just like a costume) but they've effectively gutted a lot of the better choices from the game and given us candy canes, fish, and ping-pong guns. I'd pay for it. Hell, I'd buy every one they made (I have various weapon-users)

Well I get they wanted a nature themed costume set but that one looks more like Flower themed than nature. When I think of nature I think of Poison Ivy not the joke of a costume we got.

Oh LOL I completely forgot (suppressed) the existence of the Magical Girl set. I have no idea what went through their mind when they made that one.

Dark demon armor is horrible but so is the Dark Fantasy Armor set. There are a lot of sets which are plain horrible.

I remember the days when they actually made fan art before shoving a new costume down our throats. If they want us to buy the stuff they make they better make what WE want not want THEY want.

Which brings me back to the current contest and its absurd premise. They should not decide the top 5 we should because we buy them.
    edited April 2014
    And I think some of those parts are unlockable in game, but I can't back that up.
    Yup. The most universal part of it, wings, is unlockable with perks. I believe it's killing 5000 fire demons. The rest? Spikes and monstrous heads? There are already sufficient-looking spikes if player is on Gold account or bough Variety Pack.

Also, we definitely need something like Variety Pack II. And III. And more, lol.

I was thinking about doing something like that, but it wasn't within the scope of the contest.
    edited April 2014
    Nature armor:

I hope my watcher armor gets selected :D

Sleek armor:

I hope my cybernix gets selected

TBH: I really want my cybernix armor to be selected lol cuz I want a grid-tech armor like real bad!
    And it's been a childhood fantasy for me to get such an armor!

But idc if it doesn't get selected now lol. According to the TOC of the competition it says ideas can be used even if its not used now. *crosses fingers* Cybernix costume please!

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
    edited April 2014

Oh, but I do thing that co lacks crude square armor parts. Yes, we have many bulky armor parts, but they are all look more like oversized action figure parts, not an actual heavy armor plating, all are rounded and most of the time available only with metal texture. If I create something heavy armored, I mean really HEAVY armored. Crude, matte, menacing. Like actual tanks.

I agree but personally, I see a lot more champs that prefer going around in sleek armor and assassinating than champs that wear heavy armor and go frontline... Though I must accept that I would love to see some heavy plating on my behemoth!

~me
    edited April 2014
    See, when I make heavy robotic or armor character, I want them looking mechanical, not like someone who's merely wearing metallic tights with random bulks of something.

For this task, none of our heavy armor parts are of quality high enough. Quantity is here. Quality? Not so much, except for a few parts.

Ironically, the most armored look for limbs is achieved with retro sci-fi set, because it at least covers elbows and knees and actually looks like heavy armor plating (brushed metal texture).

Sakura mecha armor is a kind of a letdown. It has nice shoulder and hip pieces and comes with all material options, but its boots aren't covering knees, and it has knee protectors attached to the thigh pieces (which is very strange decision with such heavy armor part and always leaves knees exposed whenever character moves).

It also lacks any bicep piece to match thigh piece, thus to cover character body entirely.

On top of that, our robotic limbs are really poor lookig. All are skeletal and fragile in look. It doesn't really looks like a truly powerful machinery.

Now, this one looks powerful and armored:
    1394718799481.jpg

Take away its hand cannon and rocket launchers, move cockpit to the center of the torso and it looks like a great model for heavy power armor for Might users (for example: human using a set of armor with no weaponry, merely giving him strength and invulnerability). It also helps that it isn't shiny.

Oh, BTW, it's also classic anime design. This a non-transforming mecha design from Macross that was borrowed by FASA for use as a Thunderbolt battlemech.

Or this one:

2n1z4us.jpg

Which is even more fitting, shince he's, technically, a Might-like brawler/tank character.

Yup. As for now CO surely has plenty heavy armor parts, but few of them actually looks robotic.
    edited April 2014
    I agree but personally, I see a lot more champs that prefer going around in sleek armor and assassinating than champs that wear heavy armor and go frontline... Though I must accept that I would love to see some heavy plating on my behemoth!

You have to wear heavy armor on the front line? All 13 years, two different branches... they have lied to me.

I think you're not very good at this whole 'imagination' thing. Big and heavy doesn't equal better.

(It just makes you a bullet sponge)
  • novarockznovarockz Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well the devs pick what they want, so there really is no point, cause this will end in tears, and your house will be flooded if you dont win. LOL
    edited April 2014
    You have to wear heavy armor on the front line? All 13 years, two different branches... they have lied to me.

I think you're not very good at this whole 'imagination' thing. Big and heavy doesn't equal better.

Actually, if we are going into realism in comic book setting*), it would depend if character is man, or machine.

Human in humongous armor doesn't make much sense because all this armor is raw bulk added around his/her body, limiting mobility. There's a good reason why Medieval platemail is a very tight and sleek armor, much tighter and sleeker than its fantasy equivalents. Contrary to popular opinion, knights were perfectly capable to jump, run, crawl and do whatever was necessary in their tin suits. No sane warrior ever sacrificed mobility for protection.

But if character is a machine, it no longer applies. It's not an armor, but a part of the body. Its bulk was calculated when its creators were designing things like limb joints, strength and movement (unless engineers were drunk or idiots). In the end, it's just a look. The creature doesn't feel weight of its armor more than humans feel weight of their own body.
    Grizzlys and elephants also are big and bulky creatures, but it doesn't slow them at all. :biggrin:

So, makes sense for bots and full cyborgs, but not always for humans wearing tin suits.

Though, physics wise, there is one environment where bulk doesn't matter, and even can be helpful. Cosmic space. But that's about it.

*-Which should be avoided, because comic book logic...
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    See: Real-life tanks, which have weight classes. Some are lightly armored and drive like roadsters but can't take a decent shot to save themselves. Others are deliberately bulky to shrug off firepower and return it with their heavy weapons. The T28 American tank's a great example of a machine that was, in fact, designed bulky.

But that aside, armor in general doesn't excite me. I'm personally a lot more stoked for any of the submissions that included new clothes, hair styles, capes, and possibly even some of the tights sets. To wit, a majority of the ZStore releases are armor, or involve a good deal of armor:
    • Knight Armor
    • Dark Fantasy Armor
    • Power Armor
    • Sci-fi Armor
    • Sci-fi soldier Armor
    • Spartan Armor
    • Bone Armor
    • Feather Armor
    • Cardboard Armor
    • 90s Costume Set (Shoulderpads, gloves, boots)
    • Roin-esh Armor
    • ...and probably other stuff I can't remember right now.

Mainly it's because Armor is really easy to design from a modular/part-based perspective (see: Morrowind, which had a very easy time just substituting parts of the forearms and legs to simulate boots and pauldrons. DCUO is much worse in this aspect, really).
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited April 2014

When I was downrange*, I couldn't tell you how many times I put on my full battle rattle, complete with a set of high-speed shinguards, and just got to waltz to the front of the line at the dining facility. I also got saluted a lot but that's beside the point.

*- in Kuwait, this didn't work at Victory Base
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited April 2014
    bluhman wrote: »
    See: Real-life tanks, which have weight classes. Some are lightly armored and drive like roadsters but can't take a decent shot to save themselves. Others are deliberately bulky to shrug off firepower and return it with their heavy weapons. The T28 American tank's a great example of a machine that was, in fact, designed bulky.

Is-3_lesany.jpg

This is beauty. She may be obsolete and good only for museum displays, but I'm still in awe that Soviets could design something with such clean, classic lines. Like classic car. :smile:

Hmm... Now, to cut it and reconfugure into a robot... Yup.
    edited April 2014

Honey, i do not like you making dun of my imagination. I couldn't care less how against you may be for heavy armor. Don't get personal.

All I am saying is I am tired of seeing iron man's leading charges or my own assassin-like hero (which is actually a tank) taking the bullet for the archer. What I want is my tank to look like a tank. As much as you can say that you don't need heavy armor to lead charge (which is true for CO as armor is mostly cosmetics) , heavy armor would seem to fit the huge bulk and defense. I am on meeda's side here.

~me
    edited April 2014

But that aside, armor in general doesn't excite me. I'm personally a lot more stoked for any of the submissions that included new clothes, hair styles, capes, and possibly even some of the tights sets. To wit, a majority of the ZStore releases are armor, or involve a good deal of armor:
    • Knight Armor
    • Dark Fantasy Armor
    • Power Armor
    • Sci-fi Armor
    • Sci-fi soldier Armor
    • Spartan Armor
    • Bone Armor
    • Feather Armor
    • Cardboard Armor
    • 90s Costume Set (Shoulderpads, gloves, boots)
    • Roin-esh Armor
    • ...and probably other stuff I can't remember right now.

Mainly it's because Armor is really easy to design from a modular/part-based perspective (see: Morrowind, which had a very easy time just substituting parts of the forearms and legs to simulate boots and pauldrons. DCUO is much worse in this aspect, really).

But you see of all the armor you suggested, none of the armor seems to be part of the character. They all look like a bunch of parts fitted to take blows. I do not want armor to wear... i want to become the armor if you get what i mean.

~me
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Unfortunately I don't see tights winning anything. Judging by what I see most in-game, tights are probably going to get the least votes, if they're even picked by the developers (most of whose characters don't wear tights).

Plain-clothes are some of my least favorite categories, but I see how they'd be important to RPers. Most of what I want to see is tights, a combination of tights and light armor, and the signature heroic stuff like capes.

And some damn beards that don't look like you were lost in the amazon when you were five years old and trained alongside electric eels all your life.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2014
    Still on the upside. Doesnt matter who wins , the game will have more costume parts . Thats a win in my book.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah but your book is full of pictures of birds and people pouring water out of vases.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    Still on the upside. Doesnt matter who wins , the game will have more costume parts . Thats a win in my book.

^This. I think it's good to remember about it. And a Z-Store release, to boot. Not a lockboxed one.
    edited April 2014
    Yeah but your book is full of pictures of birds and people pouring water out of vases.

Pictures are fun U__u
    edited April 2014
    I have possible 5 favourites for voting (that are not my own entries). If none of them passes into voting phase...

I'm going to troll and use d5 roll to cast my vote. :biggrin:
    edited April 2014
    Honey, i do not like you making dun of my imagination. I couldn't care less how against you may be for heavy armor. Don't get personal.

It was a friendly jab.
    All I am saying is I am tired of seeing iron man's leading charges or my own assassin-like hero (which is actually a tank) taking the bullet for the archer. What I want is my tank to look like a tank. As much as you can say that you don't need heavy armor to lead charge (which is true for CO as armor is mostly cosmetics) , heavy armor would seem to fit the huge bulk and defense. I am on meeda's side here.

lLkfpzu.jpg

The U.S. military has developed a liquid-filled material intended to be both lightweight and bulletproof. The substance is a non-Newtonian fluid called a "sheer thickening fluid," or dilatant. It's a liquid when you're walking around, but when struck with an impact (like say, from a bullet) it hardens into a bulletproof plate in a microsecond.

Not to mention, it's hard to load Captain Colossal Mechabutts into the superjet or enter a standard building.

I mean, I'm down for any mechanized parts... but absurdly bulky is half a matter of costume choice, and more a matter of 'using the body sliders'.
  • jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For "Robot Armor" it's not usually the armor that is bulky most of the time, it's the stuff that's inside it. It's like the Incredible Hulk, who has bulky muscles and a big frame. He's not a regular size guy with super thick skin. Greater size implies that a character has more capacity to move in heavy armor, and carry heavier weapons, or generate more energy than a smaller character of similar composition.

Sometimes a large character is used to illustrate a greater density of power in a smaller character, but in this case, the smaller character is "made of better stuff" than the large character.

If we do get armor, I'm hoping for something with good Tassets. The ones in the Sakura set are a little short, and have all those crazy fins and holes. We need more pauldrons that actually cover our shoulders, too.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I liked kaizerins David Bowie set, simply for the jacket.

also the sets which didn't match the criteria, the heads, tails, bodies, hairstyles.
    They asked for a full set, so unlikely to get them but more of them would be good.
    Not mine, you'd have to be nuts to like mine, well the nut one anyway.
    what? rolling a die for your vote isn't the standard method?
    Damn, thats how I vote.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited April 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    I liked kaizerins David Bowie set, simply for the jacket.

also the sets which didn't match the criteria, the heads, tails, bodies, hairstyles.
    They asked for a full set, so unlikely to get them but more of them would be good.
    Not mine, you'd have to be nuts to like mine, well the nut one anyway.
    what? rolling a die for your vote isn't the standard method?
    Damn, thats how I vote.

When has Cryptic EVER followed their own contest rules ( lets us not forget the Fridge monster ) .

Kai's jacket was full of win though.