test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rotundo's Raiment Redux

honkhillhonkhill Posts: 56 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Costumes and Concepts
Just reviving an older thread with my current roster as of this posting. More may be added if some concept strikes me!

0p55IWk.png
El Vaquero Tecnologico - Ernesto Gutierrez is an agent of the Mexican government, once an honest cop struggling against corruption, low pay, and various personal problems. Nearly at the end of his rope, his record and character earned him a chance to reinvent himself with a government issue power armor. Ernesto agreed, on the condition he be allowed to customize it to resemble the Westerns he loves so much. El Vaquero Tecnologico was born.

ofFqUNe.png
Aquanaut - The face of a major fishing company, as well as carrying several sponsors, Aquanaut is a corporate sponsored hero and marine biology enthusiast, skilled with dual wielding melee weapons and possessing the unusual ability to dive into any surface, not just water. Laid back and carefree, he does his best to keep the oceans safe, and the paychecks he recieves are pretty nice too.
Catch me as '@Rotundo' in game
Post edited by honkhill on

Comments

• honkhillhonkhill Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    IB1fwhy.png
    Fulminis III - The third in a line of electric-powered champions, Fulminis comes from the wealthy elite of American society in the Northeast, but chose to make his own path through technology and an appreciation for the arts. He was chosen by mysterious entities from the realm of Babylon to channel their electricity through himself, and so he applied himself to protecting humanity against those that would set them back to the stone age.

kGN86or.png
    Luciano Calighieri - Luciano is the head of Malebranch, an occult mafia group specializing in the illegal sale of spells, curses, and magical artifacts, as well as a lawyer by trade. He came to this position after taking charge of his family's struggling criminal operations. Beneath his friendly, respectful facade is a calculating and ambitious man who seeks to exploit the magical world to his own benefit by any means necessary.

e0lor5x.png
    Dr. Smolder - Some men are uncomplicated. Once a bright though notoriously antisocial biologist, Dr. Smolder grew to have an intense hatred for mutants and 'freaks of nature', which came to a head when mutants attacked his place of work. After burning several of them to a crisp, he suddenly realized he really likes setting people on fire, and so had a specialized suit made so he could do just that. Now he leads a group of like-minded pyromaniacs who act as cleaners for other supervillains. If there's a mess, they'll clean it up! By burning everything to the ground.

UyYfjxG.png
    Ratscallion - Herbert Du Preez never really got anywhere in life, except as a lab technician for a shady cosmetics company in Johannesburg. Enticed by an enormous increase in his salary if he agreed to be a guinea pig for some 'experiments', Herbert winded up mutating into a giant albino rat with added cybernetics. Deciding this wasn't as great as he thought, he blew the whistle on the operation, and has been living reclusively ever since, prowling the sewers and dark alleys to protect the street folk.
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    All of these are awesome, but Luciano stands out because of that detail! Just look at those hands... I never would have thought to do that. @_@
  • bravehoptoadbravehoptoad Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Frobot, Fulminis, and Ratscallion are my favs, all for very different reasons. For just standing out at the Powerhouse, Frobot wins. That there is one distinctive character.
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the compliments! Some redesigns of the above characters will be coming soon.
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I love all your costumes dude.. seriously can't decide which one I love more haha
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
    edited February 2014
    rJu9NyC.png
    Lobotomatron - No one knows how old the Lobotomatron is, or where she comes from. This elderly woman wielding considerable psychic power goes to any length to remain under the radar, while she preys on the young to harvest their mental energy for herself - in particular, mental anguish from trauma and pain.

Dr. Smolder Redesign - I wasn't satisfied with Smolder's heavily armored look; though a fire tank, I wanted more of an actual 'suit' look with tech bits than full body, so I redesigned him here. The 'burnt skin' look was done using the swirl head pattern. The greys of the suit itself may be subject to change. Don't want to distract the eye from the orange pieces.

Frobot Recolor - Frobot is now a BLACKREDDER. Though I have several other colors going on there. Be sure to tell me if they fit.

Fulminis Recolor and Design - Also an experiment, this time I decided to use Millenium Tights and a new cape for his overall look, and I wanted to use a royal purple color for him - he's from the upper crust of society, after all! My main concern is if the cape detracts from the upper body.
    edited April 2014
    After a hiatus I am back on a character creation spree. Expect more new characters to come.
    edited April 2014
    G4eD2ZE.pngSHMJDs7.png
    Shadow Play - Judy Han always enjoyed playing with her imaginary friends - said friends happened to be shadows she could manipulate into various creatures. When her parents found out, they tried to giver her an outlet for these powers, enrolling her in an academy for those with powers. She found her interest in East Asian shadow puppetry, and after getting her degree in the arts decided to use her powers to both entertain and protect.

Aquanaut/Diverboy Design Tweak - Nothing that big here, mainly the addition of the Sharkfin boots and cyberpunk bracers, which I saved up for and was gifted, respectively. I particularly think the boots really add some style the regular flippers don't have.
    Aquanaut Wielding Deadly Fish
    edited April 2014
    89eTPaF.png
    Clobberstone - This former watcher of a cathedral in England was tasked with defending it by his creators long ago, which Clobberstone did with great enthusiasm. But recently, wanderlust has finally gotten to him, and he took off from his post to explore the world and meet new people. Occasionally, smashing heads with a huge hammer.

Recreation of an old gargoyle concept; there's a lot going on here. The scale pattern tights were used for the 'moss covered' effect, with steelhawk detailing. Then we have the 'dragon head' as illustrated in bluhman's costume guide. On top of that, armor pieces colored to resemble oxidized copper with bronze. Whew.
    Clobber with weapon
    edited April 2014
    oIgqx5j.png
    Web Crawler - Web Crawler comes from a species evolved from brown spiders, though they retained their ability to spin silk; this is used to make armor and clothing for themselves along with usual dyes. Web Crawler was born with unusual strength for his people, which earned him a living as a strongman or in construction. But he was not satisfied to do common labor - he wanted to see other worlds! Extremely enthusiastic though not terribly bright, Web Crawler joined his people's space exploration division and winded up on Earth to represent them.

I wanted to make my own insectoid alien so here it is. Someone showed me how rock brow works the best for multiple eyes, so I went with that.

kMpMepA.png
    Corporal Punishment - John Riggs was the subject of one of many super soldier projects, but one so poorly thought out it didn't even get a name. Gifted with superhuman endurance, but no longer able to feel pain, he nearly went insane after being dumped into the streets. Slowly he worked his way back to a steady income, and earned some friends in the vigilante community. After nearly getting killed and his home ruined by supervillains, he suited up, got as many big guns as he could, and set out to put the hurt to anyone that looked at him funny.

An homage to one of my favorite 80's comics, Marshal Law. I really like the UNTIL jacket and the fact you can put all the bracers and chest pieces over it, despite some clipping. He's a heavy munitions build all the way, baby.
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I too loved Marshall Law and I wish I had done the homage first :) Very nice job. Hope you play him, as you will have a wonderful set of nemeses to pick from, starting with the Public Spirit ofc Hopefully they will release the long promised Omnibus sometime soon, but i doubt it :frown:
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    honkhill wrote: »
    G4eD2ZE.pngSHMJDs7.png
    Shadow Play - Shadow Tank who can manipulate shadows to fight for her, inspired by East Asian shadow puppetry. I really wanted to take advantage of the color changes induced by the Shadow Form aura, and I think I've finally hit on a design I like. Of course, I may have to introduce a third color for some detailing on the non-shadow form. Perhaps some red? I also found that the 'tech tights' patterns fit this the best, as they didn't leave any obvious outlines on her tights like other patterns.

Okay, seriously, how'd you do that? what's the trick?
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Web Crawler's pretty clever! I like how you made it look like he has multiple eyes with the combined eyebrows and eye piece. I'd actually encourage you to experiment with those eye pieces, though. Their shape and positioning over the eyebrow glowy bits actually remind me more of Spider mandibles than - well, the actual mandibles you're using, oddly enough.
    Okay, seriously, how'd you do that? what's the trick?

One of the things to remember about Shadow Form('s aura) is that it will turn parts of every costume piece you're wearing black, changing the first slot color.

What appears as a plain white mask is actually the split mask with both sides set to the same color at first. When shadow form activates, the side of the mask that's the first color will turn black, while the rest of the mask retains its normal color. If you look closely, the same thing actually is happening with skin-colored tattoos on the character!
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

edited April 2014
    c3rvand0 wrote: »
    I too loved Marshall Law and I wish I had done the homage first :) Very nice job. Hope you play him, as you will have a wonderful set of nemeses to pick from, starting with the Public Spirit ofc Hopefully they will release the long promised Omnibus sometime soon, but i doubt it :frown:

Haha, if I can get him to 25 I'll definitely make a Public Spiri homage. I'm hoping on that release too; cross your fingers.
    Web Crawler's pretty clever! I like how you made it look like he has multiple eyes with the combined eyebrows and eye piece. I'd actually encourage you to experiment with those eye pieces, though. Their shape and positioning over the eyebrow glowy bits actually remind me more of Spider mandibles than - well, the actual mandibles you're using, oddly enough.

Thanks bluhman! I wouldn't have gotten the idea if not for a generous player from Costume Central (his name escapes me). I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, though, could you elaborate?
    edited April 2014
    I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, though, could you elaborate?

The mandibles pieces in this game are sharp, pointy things, like what a beetle has. Spider mandibles (actually called Chelicerae) tend to be round and short. If you colored the eye part - Bulbous eyes I think they're called? - Like dark brown/black whatever, and kept the eyebrow piece to represent actual eyes, I think it might look more spiderlike. Maybe.

• chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bluhman wrote: »
    One of the things to remember about Shadow Form('s aura) is that it will turn parts of every costume piece you're wearing black, changing the first slot color.

What appears as a plain white mask is actually the split mask with both sides set to the same color at first. When shadow form activates, the side of the mask that's the first color will turn black, while the rest of the mask retains its normal color. If you look closely, the same thing actually is happening with skin-colored tattoos on the character!

Interesting! Guess I'm gonna need to rework my shadow-using character's costume to take advantage of this, though... most of her outfit's already dark purples and blacks, so it's harder to tell...
    edited April 2014
    Removed mandibles from Web Crawler. I think he still looks good without 'em.

Earlier I had a character named 'Cerebrawl' that I now have split into two:

LbYloky.png
    Cerebrawl - Monica Valducci was a bit of a wild child, and the development of telekinetic powers didn't help much. Always getting into fights for the thrill of it, she found a healthy outlet in mixed martial arts, augmenting her style with her telekinetic abilities. Now she fights crime - to keep less moral psychics from pushing others around, or just for a good brawl.

Cerebrawl is a mix of unarmed and telekinesis, and here I opted for a simple outfit - I like that the PSI trident almost resembles something a wrestler would have.

i5HlCZF.png
    Mathias the Magnificent - James Dubanowski was once a semi-famous television magician, opting to use his telepathic and mild telekinetic powers to wow audiences of all ages than beat up evil. But the excesses of the eighties hit him hard, and by the 90's he was an out of control has been after his show's cancellation, culminating in an arrest and almost a decade in rehab. Now out, he seeks to amend his debauched ways by doing some good for the community - despite the fact his figure has long since gone to pot. He sometimes teams up with Cerebrawl.

The third incarnation of 'fat psychic', I settled on this eighties-inspired look for a has-been hero. The archer shirt in particular screamed 'stage magician' to me, so I went with that.
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    WOW. You just made 2014 Steven Seagal! That is awesome, love the fat psychic look.
    edited April 2014
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    WOW. You just made 2014 Steven Seagal! That is awesome, love the fat psychic look.

I never realized that, but it fits so perfectly.

Ssr4JzF.png
    The Marionette - It's unknown when exactly this half-formed, beat-up life size puppet started walking around, but some say it harbors the brain of a deranged toymaker who became trapped in his doll 'wife' after a horrible accident; others says it's possessed by the ghost of a super model who killed her family with piano wire. Whatever the reason, it isn't telling, and it seems to have an ability to puppeteer other mechanical lifeforms, such as drones and toys.

This pet build developed entirely from the head spikes I used for nails in the head. Sweet dreams.

YN9mZft.png
    Boomslang - Sometimes, a VIPER agent decides to go rogue, or start his OWN secret organization as a giant middle finger to the Serpent; other times, an experiment escapes to start their own life. Boomslang is around to tie up those loose ends. Skilled with a blade, a gun, and posessing an ability to manipulate kinetic vectors, she maintains a professional, down to earth attitude - though the men she sometimes commands complain she can be a real control freak.

My token VIPER alt; inspired by Kill Bill's Elle Driver and No More Heroes assassins!
    edited April 2014
    2ykkwaY.png
    Shadow Play, now with a bit more color and new gloves/boots. Also eye shadow for a finishing touch.
    edited April 2014
    db5Cx7l.png
    Danse Macabre - Before his death, Dan Ridgewell was a masked hero during the 20's and 30's called 'The Vigil'. He held a respectable day job as a police officer, keeping his nightly activities a secret. Unfortunately, he tended to take risks, and got killed by his enemies for it. That would have been that, except he revived as a revenant with holy powers. He fights against evil once more while trying to piece together the circumstances of his resurrection.

My celestial type, remake of an earlier concept; either he'll be DPS or support depending on my fancy. I also really liked The Shadow and other heroes of the time to make a tribute.

Also, previous characters now all have short bios, as best I could clumsily hammer out.
    edited April 2014
    hRZuH6C.png
    Twinblade - A television star in New Delhi, Dipaka Mahadeo also happens to be the inheritor of a set of katar that grants the wielder invisibility powers and heightened senses; his family have always used them in sworn service to their nation. Though properly trained (he does all his own stunts) and a kind, if bombastic, invidiual, he has started to question the role he was more or less born to uphold. He often blindfolds himself in order to train his other senses.

Night Avenger with claws and some swords (pirate cutlass doubling for a talwar), I pretty much made this guy around the katar skins. I think the fantasy shirt works well for this sort of look! Unfortunately the persian belt clips a whole lot, as you can see.

UHweKaL.jpg
    Robo Hood - This cybernetic archer was once a regular human whose skill with a bow earned her minor fame and fortune, until a terror attack while visiting a foreign country caused her grievous injury. She was able to afford some minor cybernetics, and came to find she enjoyed her augmentation, so much so that she started earning money to get more. Now known as Robo Hood, she works as a hero for hire who is mostly interested in getting payed to indulge in her cybernetics addiction.

My archer concept, making use of the Robo Samurai head with face mask. Not sure yet about the yellow with blue though, might change it later.

Fulminis 3 Modern Redesign - Yeah I redesigned him again. This time I went for a real modern look to represent each Fulminis being a product of their current time. First time I've used the 90's tights too.
    Fulminis 1 Golden Age
    Fulminis 2 Silver Age
    edited May 2014
    QeFMhJq.png
    Cellulose - The result of illegal chemical dumping mixing with discarded plant matter of various species, Cellulose awoke one day to discover that A) he was now a thinking, rational being and B) he had a body. Now while most plants-turned-intelligent-life would suffer a breakdown at such revelations, Cellulose opted to try and make a living as either a pest control agent or walking herb shop, due to his variety of plant toxins and more beneficial agents swimming in his body.

An infernal DPS, no frills. If I had the jester collar I'd use that to simulate petals. Biggest feature would be me using the worm head as like a pitcher plant or stalk part of a plant.
    edited May 2014
    Three this time.

mzMPIRb.png
    Smokeout - An unfortunate accident involving an explosion at a storage and disposal facility for hazardous serums and mad scientist leftovers resulted in janitor Gary Rickard's entire physical body transforming into thick smoke - with his consciousness still intact. With his entire life destroyed, he had no choice but to learn to control his power to generate and manipulate smoke to gale force levels and inhabit a special suit. Unable to even experience physical contact, he is a shy and quiet being who struggles to adapt to his new life while seeking to put his powers to good use.

My first design making heavy use of aura, in this case the smoke aura stuff. I settled on using the torso and head auras with invisible arms and invisible head for the 'barely contained' look seen here.

2HKCl1s.png
    Sandy Stone - Famed archaeologist Sandra Bellweather is an extensive globetrotter and tireless student of various ancient civilizations and the ruins they left behind - not to mention an earth manipulating warrior under the intentional-pun name Sandy Stone (she always had a bad sense of humor). A fateful expedition to an old druidic sanctum awakened these powers, though whether it was bestowed upon her by ancient Earth spirits or merely a coincidental mutant awakening remains on the table. Either way, she prefers her day job to superheroics, but won't hesitate to defend dig sites from various rogue opportunists and thieves.

Since Clobberstone is already made of stone, my challenge was making an Earth DPS type without being made of rock or crystals - so I settled on the adventurer archaeologist look for Sandy here. I tried to stick to mainly earth tones with some orange highlights - her pic doesn't show her orange hairband.

8qWzGWv.png
    Big Top Hat - While insisting that he is merely a simple showman, the sorceror known as Big Top Hat is no mere ringmaster. A practitioner of the arcane arts since his teenage years, he is considered something of a jack of all trades, master of none when it comes to the various schools of magic - but he makes up for it in sheer theatrics. A lover of circus since his youth, Big Top Hat was even part of one for a brief time before going off to perform his own one-man-show with his magical abilities, battling evil magic users while having some fun in the process.

The odd man out without a fancy background, but Big Top came about when I was struggling to make a sorceror. I wasn't satisfied with the regular robes and runes style, so I went with the idea of a circus performer who uses magic in his act, and the ringmaster style using various sets was born here.
    edited May 2014

This entire set's badass, but Smokeout deserves a special mention.

• jedite2012jedite2012 Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Tis very good
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2014
    Thanks bluhman! I knew saving up for that aura would work out.

uFDmrst.png
    Wi6vEuv.png
    The Mindsmith - Formerly a member of the villainous group of psychics known as PSI, Kenneth Milton was lured into their Baltimore branch with promises of a means to put his power into practice for the greater good, and for a while, he believed their lies. He became known as The Mindsmith, specializing in making psychic constructs based on emotion - the stronger the emotion, the better. He even taught other telekinetics how to effectively wield their weapons, though was not one of PSI's field men. Eventually, overcome with guilt over what he was a part of, he agreed to turn evidence over to the authorities in exchange for a lesser sentence, and now works off his debt to society through community service and the occasional superheroic act.

TK blades guy, of course makes use of the hidden PSI and hex pieces. Once the new psionic armor hits, he will definitely use that set.

X1XL3JH.png
    Yarg Lasburn - Yarg comes from a reptilian race whose knightly order has protected their government for centuries, even into their modern age. Like most knights he was selected from their standing army and put through an intense physical and mental training regimen, then given his own laser sword and energy shield emitter as reward for graduating. Since then he has proven himself in many hairy situations, and earned the right to serve as an emissary to other worlds - which includes bodyguarding the current princess whenever she decides to go on vacation, a fact he does not relish in the slightest.

A redo from the previous alien knight, I went with a different color scheme for the body and some different pieces, particularly the head. He looks like something out of an old sci-fi cartoon or toy line, which suits me just fine.

eDFCBc4.png
    Maestro Exploder - Jesibelle 'Jessie' Rockerfeld loves loud music and action movies, fitting since she has the ability to create explosions without the need of fuel or fire, neither of which she desires. It was only a matter of time before she started creating symphonies of destruction, though thankfully only against upper tier supervillains. Fate hasn't dealt her an ace of spades just yet, though she insists she fears no angel of death.

Force Cascade dps user. SHE DOES NOT NEED, A MICROPHONE

That concludes my goal of having a character for every powerset in the game! All that's left now is making more costumes for these guys or tweaking some of their existing designs. While altitis can strike anytime, I am considering this challenge over and done with.
    edited May 2014
    Updated last post with two new versions of the final two alts.

Coming soon, possibly: nemeses, alternate costumes
    edited August 2014
    I had a moment of dissatisfaction and decided to scrap Cellulose, Maestro Exploder and Boomslang for new concepts

D49LZ1a.png
    Catalyst - Dr. Arnold Manos is a renowned chemist that is obsessed with exploring the world of molecules and chemical bonds. In a fit of pique, he decided to undergo self-experimentation in order to become a TRUE master of chemistry, and as a result is now a walking source of deadly chemicals under the name of Catalyst. Luckily for everyone else, he has full control of his ability to create and manipulate deadly chemicals like chlorine gas and does not use them for evil, though his sharp tongue, impatience and penchant for muttering under his breath doesn't help his image much.

LG2cafn.png
    Sharfrichter - The scourge of undead, demons and other dark beings, the woman known as Sharfrichter (Keen/Sharp Judge) fights these creatures using nothing but her trusty executioner's axe - and a machine gun for emergencies. An otherwise ordinary modern woman, she survived a night of undead terror while backpacking in rural Germany, and caught the interest of an order of monster slayers. They took her in, trained her, and bestowed her with a suit of silver chainmail and her axe, but did not expect her to hunt these creatures with maniacal zeal.

3aGGoWU.png
    Reverb - Layla Habtamu's mutant powers awoke in rather traumatic circumstances. During her period of service to Ethiopia's army, she was captured by terrorists and placed into a soundless room for two weeks. Much to their surprise, she was not driven mad from the isolation - and once she was out, demonstrated her newfound ability to absorb nearby sounds and unleash them as concussive force on her captors. Her return made national news, and she decided to don a costume to act as a counter-terrorist agent for the UN.

I have to admit, Force is probably the most boring blaster power to me, which is why I struggle to get a concept for it. But maybe the third time's the charm! If you don't like the colors or suggest changes to any character, feel free to mention it.