test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champs player population & Steam comparisons

devtrackerdevtracker Posts: 66 Arc User
Out of curiosity, I decided to compare Champs player population on Steam with Cryptic's other 2 games, Star Trek Online and Neverwinter, as well as with the other 2 superhero MMOs, DC Universe and Marvel Heroes. Although these numbers are constantly changing, as of this post here is a comparison of how many people are currently playing those games through Steam:

Champions Online = 332 In-Game

Star Trek Online = 2,598 In-Game

Neverwinter = 5,885 In-Game

DC Universe = 1,384 In-Game

Marvel Heroes = 2,798 In-Game

Now obviously, people playing through Steam are just a small percent of the actual playerbase. If we assume, just for the sake of conversation, that these numbers are 1/1000th of the actual playerbase, that would give Champs a total playerbase of 330K.

Do you think Champs has this many players? More or less? And if it does have around that many, is the game doing better than some may have thought?
Post edited by devtracker on

Comments

• r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited April 2014
    well at weekends it feels like there is like 1000 players in champs.

its a sad number... when i played on a gta san andreass multiplayer server we had this amount... and this was hosted by a private person..lol

there is also no enough good advertisement for this game....also.. check the link in my signature.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dont_go_there%255B1%255D.jpg

No method of measuring population by publicly-available numbers is reliable. That way madness lies. And incessant arguments.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I hate people , so numbers like this pleases the Nepht. I hate you all so hard, the less of you the better :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • artmanpweartmanpwe Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think it's sad that a D&D FTP is still more popular (on steam) than any Sci-Fi or Hero themed one. Heck, 3 of the 4 have well known (or at least, industry standard) IPs.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is. Even though I groan every time I see a new Fantasy MMO come out, I should know better and not be surprised when a new one does.
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
  • devtrackerdevtracker Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    I hate people , so numbers like this pleases the Nepht. I hate you all so hard, the less of you the better :D

You'll be really happy when the game shuts down then :rolleyes:
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Huh. Well, if this were my issue to fix, I'd do something. But, nope. CO gets put on the back burner for NEW PROJECTS, and we kinda get what is expected number-wise.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Snapshot data is not actual data.

Different people have different active play times and down times. Active online numbers at any time do not take into account people who are taking breaks, sleeping or working and taking temporary time away from the game in general.

While I expect that CO has the lowest total population out of those listed games, this is no credible way to start drawing factual comparisons based on actual numbers.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    , the less of you the better :D
    Sooo, you are saying i need to lose weight?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Someone should pull out the Xfire statics for comparison, so we could get bit more accurate data.
    And maybe try to dig up ARC numbers, since thats the gaming platform the Cryptic/PW playerbase is using now.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nothing that isn't totally obvious.

All the other games mentioned are newer (some less than others) and get big updates frequently. CO's playerbase stays around 400 or so in game all the time, just see how many people are in zones. The thing is this number is still much more than in many other small MMO's which may only get about 200 on at a time.

I suppose what I should be saying is, there is actually stuff that could be considered worth doing to more people than in CO which is why there are more people on them. If you think that CO has anywhere near the same playerbase as DCUO (and this is just the PC one) which gets constant big updates then "YOU ARE WRONG." >.> See what I did there?
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    CTA in NWO, end of double XP week in STO.

That's why I haven't been in CO much this week.

And, you know, Easter travel.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    CO has quite a big population for only getting content/items that you have to purchase for instead of something new to play regularly.

The last meaningful update we've had to the game's progression was Aftershock. It actually wrapped up everything involving the Adventure Packs.

Whiteout doesn't count because it went nowhere. Everything after that has been random events that aren't tied into each other. And most of it isn't even permanent "I can play this whenever I want" content.

With what population numbers you can see, that's impressive despite all that. Champions just has that something that no other game has that keeps players in. And that is everything that has been in the game leading up to On Alert.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    devtracker wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, I decided to compare Champs player population on Steam with Cryptic's other 2 games, Star Trek Online and Neverwinter, as well as with the other 2 superhero MMOs, DC Universe and Marvel Heroes. Although these numbers are constantly changing, as of this post here is a comparison of how many people are currently playing those games through Steam:

Now obviously, people playing through Steam are just a small percent of the actual playerbase. If we assume, just for the sake of conversation, that these numbers are 1/1000th of the actual playerbase, that would give Champs a total playerbase of 330K.

Do you think Champs has this many players? More or less? And if it does have around that many, is the game doing better than some may have thought?

What it shows is that CO has smaller population than other games. Hardly a surprise. It is already known.

Numbers like Steam or screenshots of ingame population can not account for things like peope playing at different times and from different time zones. They can only show you how many people were playing at this one moment.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I also think that's just the people who are playing through Steam, right?
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I also think that's just the people who are playing through Steam, right?

Ofcourse.

And yeah as I said it isn't exactly like anyone should know that we don't get much more than this on at at time usually anyway, most people are either in MC or club caprice and most of the rest would be in their hideouts most likely if not there is sometimes about 30 or so people in the powerhouse.

The funny thing is that recently all of us in PvP have pretty much given up on trying and it's basically finally dead now. The funny thing about that is the fact that PvE'ers have all started "doom" type threads as well despite the fact there are probably just the same amount of people on now as this time last year.

DOOOOM!
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have a long distance to the server, when I play CO I must close Steam or I get horrible lag spikes. Not everybody who plays CO uses steam to run it.

Just my two cents.

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    I got CO from Steam and I almost never play it through Steam client.

Not even everyone who downloads CO from Steam actually plays it logged into Steam.
  • blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I wouldn't put us over 10K active players.

There's only 4 MC zones, and that's plenty of indication.
    edited April 2014
    It seems like a lot of people missed/forgot/didnt comprehend this part of the OP:
    Now obviously, people playing through Steam are just a small percent of the actual playerbase.

I never said or even implied that Steam represented the majority of people playing. Of course not everyone plays through Steam, but that is also true of those other games. The point was to make a comparison with those other games using a common denominator, which was Steam. And of course the numbers fluctuate throughout the day, which is why I provided links in the OP to each of those pages so you can see whatever the current number is whenever you want.
    edited April 2014
    You'll be really happy when the game shuts down then :rolleyes:

Did you just take The Nepht seriously?? >_>

I be mocking steam stats as it doesnt show all the players :P
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited April 2014
    I be mocking steam stats as it doesnt show all the players :P

Who said that it did?
    edited April 2014
    Who said that it did?

Magnetic Space Badgers.
  • iceih03iceih03 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited April 2014

The bad: combining DCUO and CO player base the population would be only 66% of STO population. So even if all players from DCUO move to CO, CO would still be Cryptics small game.

The good: player relation between DCUO and CO is only 4 to 1, in my opinion it is an excellent performance considering that DCUO is DC Universe a 80 years lore with extremely popular characters in it.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, but yeah. Our strength always has been in the fact that the player base we have is very dedicated for its size. I can hardly imagine we'll be going anywhere any time soon, this game is like vampire bloodlines. Any time someone mentions it, an old fan reinstalls it.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You can count the number of players available and see the effects of the number of players available directly in game. For instance, last night, during double XP weekend at 630PM server time there were only about 250 players online in Millennium City. Alert queues don't pop before they cycle to a new alert several times, and then you have three man alerts pugs with a couple of pair of level tens.

You can count all the players in game no matter where they are by telling the system to search by sets of levels and then add it all up, you do this and you'll see that the hideouts and other instances besides Millennium City don't ever add up to more than a hundred players combined.

Steamcharts is tracking CO.