test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Secret Project: Need Costume Files To Test With

stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
I am trying to make a fan site where people upload their costume files and the site tags it with all the costume pieces used. Ideally, people would be able to click on a costume piece tag and see 20+ examples of it in different colors on costume files. Right now I'm just ironing the program I made to read the files (haven't decided what to do with sub-pieces yet). I still need to build an array (database?) that links geometries, materials, textures etc in the costume files to actual costume piece unlocks; build a WordPress theme with custom content types; and create a plug-in based on the reader.

Anyhoo, I need a bunch of costumes files, preferably complete sets of rare hard to find sets like Edom, Earth aura, C-Store Costumes, rare drops, dangly things, etc. Please post the costume files here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    will the saved costume files do? I think I have all the earth aura set.

earth aura(dandruff) bracers, chest and boots, rock skin plus rock hair NOT from Geo set.
    Costume_CloudsatDawn_MajorNuisance_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_451192556_zps830fb4fe.jpg
    same except with rock claw bracers
    Costume_CloudsatDawn_MajorNuisance_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_451192603_zps23788eee.jpg

and to give you an idea of my programming skill, you lost me on about "I still need to build an array"
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Arrays are fun! I've used them in the past to twist Excel's arm behind it's back to make it behave as a database for one project I had at my old job...

(For those curious, an array is like a storage box of variables. Think like a grid of cells on a spreadsheet for a two-dimensional array. Or a block of cubes for a three-dimensional array. Four-dimensional array... um... hypercubes make my brain hurt, I'm stopping here.)
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I am trying to make a fan site where people upload their costume files and the site tags it with all the costume pieces used. Ideally, people would be able to click on a costume piece tag and see 20+ examples of it in different colors on costume files. Right now I'm just ironing the program I made to read the files (haven't decided what to do with sub-pieces yet). I still need to build an array (database?) that links geometries, materials, textures etc in the costume files to actual costume piece unlocks; build a WordPress theme with custom content types; and create a plug-in based on the reader.

Anyhoo, I need a bunch of costumes files, preferably complete sets of rare hard to find sets like Edom, Earth aura, C-Store Costumes, rare drops, dangly things, etc. Please post the costume files here.

This is quite a big undertaking, at least if I understand your scope correctly.

Definitely go for an actual database (MySQL or otherwise) since you will need the support.

What programming language are you using for the back-end of the website? (PHP, JavaWeb, C++ etc..)

No matter what you do it's probably best if you go object oriented.

Design Patterns that might be useful to you:

- Singleton
    - Composite (with Visitor if you want to be able to add methods more easily)
    - Unit of Work
    - Data Mapper/Active Record (depending on how much you want to couple/decouple things)
    - Identity Map

If you go event based look into Observer pattern (you probably will since you want things to occur/change based on user clicks. or at least that's what I understood).

Bit more Advanced (doubt you would go this far but still):
    If you want to go for added performance you could implement something called MappedReduced using QT in C++. This is for distributed computing/multi core programming. (the same function should be available with different libraries for several languages).

The way you would use it is to provide a list of all the costume file names, then you would create the parsing algorithm and in the reduced stage you would merge them back into a data structure or type. This should make parsing substantially faster since you would use all the cores not just one.

The above is just an obvious example on how/where using the function could be beneficial.
  • Options
    stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, maybe a little bit too ambitious-- I'm just learning design patterns right now. :redface: I'm scaling down the scope of the project, but I still want to do something with the save files.

The original idea was to just write a Wordpress plugin-in PHP that read the save files as they were uploaded into Wordpress and tagged the image submission post with the costume peices used in the file. And then maybe a plugin that let people submit/vote on costume piece names for tags instead of "M_Chest_Tight_Sciencegroup_01_Mm." Easy peasy.

But now I'm learning Java so I want to do the whole thing as a Java app. Right now I'm just trying to get a basic costume file renamer in Java. I really want to play with OO databases later on though and do what I originally wanted.

Right now I'm building a class for the costume file called Hero, which will have an array of scale properties and an array of costume parts. I hope to be able to read/write save file data with this.

Looks like the data is stored in Photoshop IPTC blocks in the jpeg files. The blocks are "Fight Club", "FC," Username, Heroname, imagesize (number of bytes of part of the file at least), and costume data.

After that I'll build a class called HeroLocker which will monitor folders (local Live/PTS screenshot folders) and has Heros.

And then a GUI that has screens for each HeroLocker.

And then maybe a class with some fun stuff like an apply Caliga Costume method, apply Zombie costume application, and a method to remove any back attachments while playing the soundbite of Edna saying "No Capes" from The Incredibles.

And then a type of HeroLocker that syncs with a tag in an Amazon S3 bucket.

And then maybe add database functionality such as tagging and voting.

And then something that retrieves costume files based on parts.