test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Its time for Champions 2

devtrackerdevtracker Posts: 66 Arc User
As cool as this game is, it has reached the point where it isnt getting "real" development. Notice the quotation marks, as I realize my statement is open to interpretation. But what I mean is, this game is no longer getting new systems(like the foundry). It is not getting expansions like Cryptic's other games. The best it can hope for are just small bits of content like new Alerts, existing power revamps, and new costumes.

Heres the thing: Cryptic made the superhero MMO mainstream with COH, and that was before superheroes were as popular as they are now with all the big movies. Cryptic also owns the Champs license, so that is never going to expire. Its time to take advantage of all the experience Cryptic has with making superhero games and the new popularity of superheroes in our culture and make the next big superhero MMO.

Go all out. Take what came before and expand them and make them better with all the latest tech. Allow people to create both heroes and villians. And for gods sake include the foundry in the game at launch so people can make their own missions and never run out of content.

/just sayin
Post edited by devtracker on

Comments

• spiderdude4spiderdude4 Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Now. I'm sure a whole lot of people here would absolutely love it if Cryptic developed a "Champions Online 2.0" as an upgraded, all new, better version. But, there are more than a few barriers preventing them from doing so. For one thing. Cryptic may own Champs, but Cryptic is owned by PWE and without the proper finances from their "bosses" major content is a no-go, let alone a sequel MMO. And as far as we can tell, PWE's interest is anywhere but CO.

My hope is that when City Of Titans and Valiance Online come about (if they ever do) it will give Cryptic North and PWE the kick in the pants they so desperately need. But until then, this might be the new status quo for them. :rolleyes:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Hope1 ingame. PRIMUS Database Characters
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    *large bucket of cold water*
    and on a downside, the interest in superheroes is in branded heroes belonging to Warner bros (DC) and Disney(Marvel).

Not in the ones in the Champions universe, it would still only be those who want to make up their own and those who want to copy another one(at least until they get defaulted)

The companies are more likely to look at;

has there been an increase in players after each of these movies?

have the players stayed?

How can we attract people who are only interested in playing heroes belonging to other companies without being sued?

Who will be annoyed if we don't make use of the IP fully?

How can we make the most money from it for the least investment?

Star trek took a year to get Foundry working.
    STO and NW get foundry problems with each update.

NW's updates all come with lockboxes and 'founder packs' , you pay for everything.

Think of how many players only want to get Zen through the exchange. The "i'm not putting any money into the game until they put money in" brigade.

Think of all the people who complain about getting stuff from lockboxes.

Think of all the "why do I have to pay for that, this is a F2p game"
    "why can't I have what the people paying subs get, except for free"

Any new game is likely to be totally Free2pay, to get an idea what that is, check out NW.
    as for the hoped for competition, they may only start worrying about them if they become financially viable and successful. Then it's more likely to be buyout, rather than improve.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Um. STO Foundry has been all but abandoned, and NW Foundry isn't faring that much better.

Cryptic has a long track-record of giving up on systems and moving on.

On the plus side, that might be a point in favor of CO2!
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's a great idea. But I think the chances of it happening are nil. PWE just hasn't shown that much interest in CO. Much less a CO2.

I'd personally do backflips if this game got a revamp. (It sorely needs one). But I'm not holding my breath.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    zahinder wrote: »
    Um. STO Foundry has been all but abandoned, and NW Foundry isn't faring that much better.

Cryptic has a long track-record of giving up on systems and moving on.

To be honest, it's this and entirely this, which has only become that much worse since PWE took over. Frankly, i think a lot of people (like the LTS) would be very upset by the move to Champions 2 unless their LTS' transferred over. For me personally, i think the issue is more along the lines of how bad this game got and how fast it was allowed to do so by being abandoned. With the development of NW, it really did turn out to be everything I hate about Cryptic and PWE (less customization and more "give us more money for less quality") all rolled into one game. While the game itself is actually not bad, i'm reminded way too often, that i should spend money, which to be honest is not worth how much they're asking for everything. there are more issues than that, but I will stop there to keep it short.

For me to even consider playing another cryptic game aside from sto (since this game is shafted, and NW is terrible leaving no hope for their next project) they would need to get a new engine all together. This was an issue even when CO went online. It was already outdated and giving the team difficulties adding to it. We need a newer engine capable of giving better character models and power visuals and to that end, we would need better character models and power visuals as well. What we have now is entirely dated and too cartoony for my tastes. Maybe they could layer it so people wanting the current look could play on low graphic settings, while max settings would be more realistic?

Another addition would need to be the return of customization. Cryptic has all but strayed from this single factor that made them good in the first place. The need to return to allowing for greater customizations of their heroes and the powers, as well as their hideouts, side kicks, and vehicles. We need emanation points, and movable icons and symbols. We need less restrictions on using parts from different sets, and they need to figure out how to stop everything from clipping so terribly. We need to get more focus on adding new powersets as that is kind of the life of a Superhero game. Having Cryptic North tell us that we aren't getting anymore powersets is them pretty much telling us to go play something else. That is a conversation that should never happen in a superhero mmo. CoH was putting in new powers any time they could, and honestly i think was the wrong game to get shut down suddenly.

Less cash grab gimmicks would be a key as well. That type of mentality is cheapening the games as well as the IP and the reputation of the company. Cryptic's current direction of "give us money and we'll give you a small chance to actually get something" is killing all of their games. Between the power creep, the grinding, and the only additions being more grind and cash grab, i have no faith in them as a company. In all fairness, this just as well might be something forced on them by PWE, but it's not like Cryptic's hands were all that clean before hand. If you're asking for money from any aspect of your game, the content needs to be of a high enough quality to justify the price (which it isn't across any of the games), and the funds brought in buy that game need to actually go towards developing that game (at least once the next game's store is open). The people here want and need quality content, and that's exactly what we've never really received. Ever... At least not in this game. Shortly after Vibora bay, Cryptic flat out abandoned Champions to rush STO into a live build, and it's crawled along ever since. Any time they come up with a great concept (like vehicles, hideouts, and sidekicks) The team would only deliver the most base and unfinished version of that, never touching it ever again.

That Crap has to stop.

Period.

This game could have easily been the best Superhero MMO had Cryptic actually put effort into it. Instead, it's a complete joke, and I for one wouldn't trust cryptic with any other games after seeing the direction they're in, which is a slow downward spiral.

They never gave this game or it's community a fair chance, and for me to ever really take them seriously again, they would need to make things right by their fans and players. Maybe they could transfer the LTS and subs over to the Champions 2? Maybe they could transfer all of your purchases over as well, so the store items you already own, would be available from the start in Champs 2?

Aside from that, the only thing they could really do is allow me to switch my Zen between the games like they used to, because this game was never given a chance, and frankly my stipend could be more useful elsewhere. With how badly they've bungled this game from the start, I really can't see them putting much effort into anything else superhero related.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sequels are usually given to movies and games that have shown signs of success--financial success, that is. For all hints and purposes CO is not making enough money to justify any real commitment of investment from PWE, so the likelihood of a sequel doesn't seem particularly conceivable.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm sorry, that got way more ranty than I would have liked, but they've really just made a habit of shooting themselves in the foot, and I really don't expect anything great to come from this company ever again.

Champions is one of the biggest wastes of potential and great ideas that I've played in a long time.

It really deserved better.
    edited April 2014
    I'm sorry, that got way more ranty than I would have liked, but they've really just made a habit of shooting themselves in the foot, and I really don't expect anything great to come from this company ever again.

Champions is one of the biggest wastes of potential and great ideas that I've played in a long time.

I thought they were aiming about 3 foot higher, major blood supply there

• salutage14xxsalutage14xx Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    devtracker wrote: »
    As cool as this game is, it has reached the point where it isnt getting "real" development. Notice the quotation marks, as I realize my statement is open to interpretation. But what I mean is, this game is no longer getting new systems(like the foundry). It is not getting expansions like Cryptic's other games. The best it can hope for are just small bits of content like new Alerts, existing power revamps, and new costumes.

Heres the thing: Cryptic made the superhero MMO mainstream with COH, and that was before superheroes were as popular as they are now with all the big movies. Cryptic also owns the Champs license, so that is never going to expire. Its time to take advantage of all the experience Cryptic has with making superhero games and the new popularity of superheroes in our culture and make the next big superhero MMO.

Go all out. Take what came before and expand them and make them better with all the latest tech. Allow people to create both heroes and villians. And for gods sake include the foundry in the game at launch so people can make their own missions and never run out of content.

/just sayin

U mean champions online 3.0
    --> CHIBI[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What makes you think a CO 2 would receive any more dev time/money then the first one did? If CO should be shut down this would likely be the end of a mmo using the hero games system.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    *large bucket of cold water*
    and on a downside, the interest in superheroes is in branded heroes belonging to Warner bros (DC) and Disney(Marvel).
    I don't think this point has been emphasized enough in these discussions. People claim there's a sudden huge interest in supers, and cite the number of people watching The Avengers and associated movies, or Man of Steel, or TV shows like Arrow, but ignore continued dismal sales figures for actual comics, especially those not centering around the characters in those movies, as well as the less-than-stellar ratings for Agents of SHIELD (8 pm Tuesdays, 7pm Central, on ABC - set your DVRs, tell your friends!).

The increase in popularity is for those particular characters, not for the very concept of superheroes.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The bean-counters at most studios would likely squash an idea for another Superhero-themed MMORPG, considering the failure rate within this genre lately. As far as I know, the only superhero game doing reasonably well is Marvel Heroes, which is an ARPG, not an MMORPG.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    draogn wrote: »
    What makes you think a CO 2 would receive any more dev time/money then the first one did? If CO should be shut down this would likely be the end of a mmo using the hero games system.

Theoretically the effort to start over and import elements as needed might be easier than trying to substantially fix what they already have.

But it's more likely that's not the case.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I heard the 'Secret Project' is Dark Champions.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    helbjorn wrote: »
    The bean-counters at most studios would likely squash an idea for another Superhero-themed MMORPG, considering the failure rate within this genre lately. As far as I know, the only superhero game doing reasonably well is Marvel Heroes, which is an ARPG, not an MMORPG.

DCUO, by all accounts, isn't doing bad either. That game falls into the same niche Marvel Heroes does, though, being an ARPG as opposed to MMORPG.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    The OP is blind as a Foxbat. there is no need for a champions 2.0.

Well according to PW, Champions might possibly be nearing end-of-life as this is its 5th year, so we really might need a Champions Online 2 :O

On the other hand, if it makes it past this year, that'll make CO an exception, which would actually bode pretty well for the future of the Champions IP.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    devtracker wrote: »

/just sayin

How about no. Cryptic North has gotten on top of the mess old Cryptic left. Champions Online in the last few months have changed a lot for the better.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    How about no. Cryptic North has gotten on top of the mess old Cryptic left. Champions Online in the last few months have changed a lot for the better.

The optimist would say it's a stabilizing pass to springboard new development.

The pessimist would say it's a final bugfix pass before maintenance mode.

The realist wonders what the next event will be after Foxbatcon.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • dantheiceman1dantheiceman1 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited April 2014

yes it did, most certainly that is if champions online 2.0 would come out i would just point and laugh at it and stay away from it.

Cryptic really likes wasting peoples time and money and just abandoning stuff

- like when they sold COH to NCsoft (i blame jack for that)
    - going to Atari for money (i blame jack for that as well)
    - when they hired Bill Roper (i blame jack for that too)
    - letting Revelation for free (i blame Roper for that because this is when it start to go down hill and they really could have used the money at this point)
    - funneling more and more people into STO and NWO (i blame PWE and management for that because it is STILL ongoing)
    - making nothing but stupid planes, and floating wagons for a well over a year that no one wanted (PWE is to blame)
    - having a dev blackout for well over a year (PWE is to blame for that)
    - hiring former COH devs, only to shipping them to star trek online and NWO (giant slap in the face and both PWE, and Cryptic are to blame)
    - having to make a whole new studio just for champions online only to have a dev blackout and still funneling more people into STO/NWO (both PWE and cryptic management is to blame there

i don't need to go any farther because Cryptic is a B studio that does shoddy work and is no where NEAR the level of top tier studios

this game will be dead, buried and forgotten should City of Titans and/or Valiance Online ever see the light of day.

and Champions Online 2 would be a a bigger joke then this.
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=124755
    The Nemesis system needs fixing and here's ideas:
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    - like when they sold COH to NCsoft (i blame jack for that)
    Yes, because NCSoft wouldn't give them funds otherwise unless they had full control over the property. Cryptic had to develop their new stuff in secret because of said lack of funding, and thus took that opportunity to sell the IP to NCSoft since I think it's obvious to anyone NCSoft wasn't going to release their vice on it.
    - going to Atari for money (i blame jack for that as well)
    Think it was more the need for a publisher than anything since 2K decided they wanted nothing to do with MMOs at that moment, and last I heard still believe MMOs in the west are failures.
    - when they hired Bill Roper (i blame jack for that too)
    I don't get this one at all.
    - letting Revelation for free (i blame Roper for that because this is when it start to go down hill and they really could have used the money at this point)
    And let's remember the community backlash when they thought it was going to be paid for expansion.
    - funneling more and more people into STO and NWO (i blame PWE and management for that because it is STILL ongoing)
    Nothing new, development goes where the money is.
    - making nothing but stupid planes, and floating wagons for a well over a year that no one wanted (PWE is to blame)
    I don't think the vehicles have been in game that long.
    - having a dev blackout for well over a year (PWE is to blame for that)
    I think the player base toxicity is as much to blame.
    - hiring former COH devs, only to shipping them to star trek online and NWO (giant slap in the face and both PWE, and Cryptic are to blame)
    Actually, from what I understood, those devs chose to go to those projects, aka they didn't want to go to Champions.
    - having to make a whole new studio just for champions online only to have a dev blackout and still funneling more people into STO/NWO (both PWE and cryptic management is to blame there
    Yes, and nothings going on here I guess, despite the updates :rolleyes:. While it's a trickle now there is stuff going on, I doubt all these balance passes, updates, and a contest with $80 in prizes and chance for players to put in costumes of their like is nothing is being done.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited April 2014
    I don't think the vehicles have been in game that long.

Actually they have. They were introduced around Fall of 2012 (or maybe a little earlier? I know they were already in the game by the time I signed up which was in December 2012). It's now Spring of 2014.

Over. A. Year.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Actually they have. They were introduced around Fall of 2012 (or maybe a little earlier? I know they were already in the game by the time I signed up which was in December 2012). It's now Spring of 2014.

Over. A. Year.

Anything that has appeared in fall 2012 has not been here for that long :P

Oh-I-see-what-you-did-there-.jpg
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited April 2014
    the completely unworried will ne thinking "now what was I doing last time I was on." and "what the heck was I thinking of with this build."(I have to make notes in the description on some of them)

• lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I always assumed that was because if Cryptic dicked around with those games rights would be lost and such.

People wanted vehicles though. Cryptic's implementation of it, though is where things seem to fell apart. The reason why I am never surprised by that is because Cryptic said many times before that vehicles couldn't be made or that they had no intention of making them. Then they gave in to a very well-organized and well put-together campaign (I still think they were wrong though) and the rest is history.

and Champions Online 2 would be a a bigger joke then this.

If someone held a gun to their head, they could make a good one. But there are so many things working against such a game to ever be a reality at this point. But who knows? Cryptic is fond of saying "no" and then doing the opposite. I guess we'll see.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nepht wrote: »

It has changed a little for the better. I am very appreciative of the new costume sets and the small rounding out powers they have made for existing powers with the 3 new light-saber powers and the few new psychic powers that they started working on years ago. as well as the QA pass. but no new zones, no new shared instanced areas, no new power frameworks, no advancement of the stories that the comics series set up and a whopping 2 new permanent missions, one of which is a drawn out hallway walk ending in a giant spider...though ill be the first to say the second one does kick butt. that's not really a "lot". It initially seemed good because it was attention and seemed to be growing in intensity as cn was learning the ropes. but now it seems to have tapered off again with another damn temp event with a lockbox and more vehicle nonsense.
    edited April 2014
    rianfrost wrote: »
    It has changed a little for the better. I am very appreciative of the new costume sets and the small rounding out powers they have made for existing powers with the 3 new light-saber powers and the few new psychic powers that they started working on years ago. as well as the QA pass. but no new zones, no new shared instanced areas, no new power frameworks, no advancement of the stories that the comics series set up and a whopping 2 new permanent missions, one of which is a drawn out hallway walk ending in a giant spider...though ill be the first to say the second one does kick butt. that's not really a "lot". It initially seemed good because it was attention and seemed to be growing in intensity as cn was learning the ropes. but now it seems to have tapered off again with another damn temp event with a lockbox and more vehicle nonsense.

It's a little early to expect them to develop a zone instantly. New zones take time, takes time to concept, decide what goes into them, design, develop, then to add creatures and story content based around that zone and meta plot as a whole. A new zone isn't going to happen in the short time the new team has been here.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited April 2014
    . A new zone isn't going to happen in the short time the new team has been here.

correction its not going to happen at all.

they don't have the manpower OR the money to do it
    edited April 2014
    correction its not going to happen at all.

they don't have the manpower OR the money to do it

Are you absolutely sure of that?
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited April 2014
    95%

if i'm wrong then i'm wrong *shrugs*
    edited April 2014
    It does seem unlikely. They barely have enough money for this game, as per the vampire taco's words.
    edited April 2014
    It does seem unlikely. They barely have enough money for this game, as per the vampire taco's words.

Citation would be helpful. Because a statement from a few years ago doesn't seem to be reflecting the current present, especially considering a contest if money was that tight.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm not in the mood to search for the exact post from my phone, but Taco posted it in the STO forums, on the thread announcing that D'Angelo was back and Stahl was starting the next Project X. He stated that all Cryptic games, including CO, are getting development levels commensurate with their revenue. TT assures is that CO's not losing money, but the small potatoes we've been getting imply that we're either barely above break-even, or they're building up to something big. Now the question you have to ask yourself is "Did sistersilicon just say Cryptic was building something big for CO with a straight face?"
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited April 2014
    I'm not in the mood to search for the exact post from my phone, but Taco posted it in the STO forums, on the thread announcing that D'Angelo was back and Stahl was starting the next Project X. He stated that all Cryptic games, including CO, are getting development levels commensurate with their revenue. TT assures is that CO's not losing money, but the small potatoes we've been getting imply that we're either barely above break-even, or they're building up to something big. Now the question you have to ask yourself is "Did sistersilicon just say Cryptic was building something big for CO with a straight face?"

And wasn't that stated, again, a few years ago?
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited April 2014
    And wasn't that stated, again, a few years ago?
    Yes, and it was restated a few months ago, mostly in relation to STO players claiming that game was on the verge of shutdown as well.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Yes, and it was restated a few months ago, mostly in relation to STO players claiming that game was on the verge of shutdown as well.

So, in other words, chicken little syndrome? Of course it is kind of silly, that players expect immediate content in a hilariously short time period, especially considering, since most love to quote WoW and their expansion updates, it generally takes Blizzard 3 to 4 years to make those expansions, since as soon as the expansion team finishes the assets they are already moving onto the next project while the live team takes over polishing.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited April 2014
    So, in other words, chicken little syndrome? Of course it is kind of silly, that players expect immediate content in a hilariously short time period, especially considering, since most love to quote WoW and their expansion updates, it generally takes Blizzard 3 to 4 years to make those expansions, since as soon as the expansion team finishes the assets they are already moving onto the next project while the live team takes over polishing.
    Those folks also tend to ignore that when WoW updates, even current subscribers have to lay out sixty bucks or so for the new shinies - and there's no real F2P option (and even their limited version is of fairly recent vintage). Meanwhile, CO players threatened to riot when there was discussion of making VB a paid expansion (at a more likely rate of $20, as I recall...).

The upshot is, CO is getting its new stuff more slowly because this game isn't exactly a cash cow. Nobody here is willing to pay $50 US for what would amount to the next tier of gear (the price of the STO Dyson Ship three-pack for one faction; triple that if you want the three-pack for all three factions). On the other tentacle, we don't seem to be going away, either; there's just enough profit to keep us above the bottom line.

• kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Meh. Speculation without knowing the exact financials won't lead to anything. I say we just play the game.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

edited April 2014
    Citation would be helpful. Because a statement from a few years ago doesn't seem to be reflecting the current present, especially considering a contest if money was that tight.

I actually cited it in another thread that you and I had a similar debate in. Not my fault if you didn't follow the link there.
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Nobody here is willing to pay $50 US for what would amount to the next tier of gear

You'd be surprised. Pretty sure someone around here paid more than that for Rank 8 and 9 Upgrade cats.

Not me though, I'm rolling with 5s and 7s.
    edited April 2014
    I actually cited it in another thread that you and I had a similar debate in. Not my fault if you didn't follow the link there.

Yea, and again as I pointed out your citation was a few years old.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited April 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. Pretty sure someone around here paid more than that for Rank 8 and 9 Upgrade cats.

Not me though, I'm rolling with 5s and 7s.

You know, a lot of people actually worked for their upgrades, not paid for them.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited April 2014
    You know, a lot of people actually worked for their upgrades, not paid for them.

And a lot of people do AH flipping for G instead of buying keys.

My point was that somebody > nobody, and I know a few somebodys who actually did.
    edited April 2014
    Yea, and again as I pointed out your citation was a few years old.

1 - 15 - 2014 is "a few years old?"

What year is it now in your universe?
    edited April 2014
    1 - 15 - 2014 is "a few years old?"

What year is it now in your universe?

I still don't have a link, because I remember a comment him saying the same thing a few years ago not to mention people still have a tendency to quote devs from a few years ago.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited April 2014
    I still don't have a link, because I remember a comment him saying the same thing a few years ago not to mention people still have a tendency to quote devs from a few years ago.

I gave the link in that other thread, lol. That's what I was talking about when I said it wasn't my fault that you didn't look at it.

Okay, fine, I'll be nice and link to it again: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=14501981&postcount=296
    edited April 2014
    I gave the link in that other thread, lol. That's what I was talking about when I said it wasn't my fault that you didn't look at it.

Okay, fine, I'll be nice and link to it again: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=14501981&postcount=296

Seems you mistook the statement made which is accurate. The team size of Cryptic North is scaled based on the revenue that Champions brings in. Your statements make it sound like there is only 1 or 2 devs working on the team and from the sounds of it you take what Taco said there, which was nothing about Champions being in dire straights or barely scraping by, just that the team is a small team because of how much it pulls in. It's not rocket science dev teams fluctuate based on revenue. In fact he said the clear opposite of what you say, that Champions isn't being punished with a small team just because.

In short you just put words in his mouth and other than him confirming the basics we know, they've been working on stuff have been updating the game for us, and we don't know the future plans, and I doubt Taco would reveal them anyways, since 1 I bet he loves his job, and 2 I doubt he would want to steal any thunder away from the team that is working, and 3 I doubt they will reveal anything until they are more set in stone in the future.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited April 2014
    Seems you mistook the statement made which is accurate.

No I didn't.
    The team size of Cryptic North is scaled based on the revenue that Champions brings in.

Right.
    Your statements make it sound like there is only 1 or 2 devs working on the team

No they don't. My statements don't mention numbers at all.
    and from the sounds of it you take what Taco said there, which was nothing about Champions being in dire straights or barely scraping by,

...Ummm? I said "barely" but that's the only thing I recognize in that string of words.
    just that the team is a small team because of how much it pulls in.

Small teams means it's not bringing in a lot of revenue. Each team is scaled to how much its corresponding game brings in. That's the whole core of the Taco's post.
    It's not rocket science dev teams fluctuate based on revenue.

Duh.
    In fact he said the clear opposite of what you say, that Champions isn't being punished with a small team just because.

I certainly said nothing of the sort.
    In short you just put words in his mouth

No, you've been putting words in my mouth.
    edited April 2014
    No, you've been putting words in my mouth.

Not really, you've been dooming and glooming proclaiming nothing is going to happen and in fact;

And again, Taco doesn't say anything of the sort.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited April 2014
    Not really, you've been dooming and glooming proclaiming nothing is going to happen and in fact;

Actually I've said a sequel is unlikely as is a major expansion. Small teams don't have the manpower to do such projects; it would take forever to happen.
    And again, Taco doesn't say anything of the sort.

He says the team is small because that's how much it brings in. How is he not?