Costume Contest Commentary

Comments

• Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Yeah.

Make it bad ****.
    You say that like there's another way. Drop some 'inspiration' in.

We're working on making it a template with some 'similar' parts that can either have guns, pouches, tech stuff, or even throwing knives.
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    640x827_18049_Hellenic_2d_sci_fi_character_android_robot_ninja_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Or something like that.

except in brighter colours like this and thisand this
    eyeblinding, while they are trying to see you, shoot them
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    still waiting on somebody to submit a powered armored ninja.
    The essence of ninjutsu is stealth and silence. Ideally, when a ninja has struck, no one should be aware of it for hours afterward.

The essence of powered armor is the immediate projection of overwhelming force - rather the opposite of ninjutsu.

(No, that shouting idiot in blaze orange on the cartoon is not a ninja, title aside.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    The essence of ninjutsu is stealth and silence. Ideally, when a ninja has struck, no one should be aware of it for hours afterward.

The essence of powered armor is the immediate projection of overwhelming force - rather the opposite of ninjutsu.

(No, that shouting idiot in blaze orange on the cartoon is not a ninja, title aside.)

I think he was thinking something more along the line of the Cyber Ninja Becomes' looks. However, I share your opinion on the so called 'Shouting Idiot in Blaze Orange on the Cartoon'.

For a Tech Assassin, give us a new Sniper Rifle Skin. I've been doodling some possible weapons skins to be included in the competition, or, at very least, try and be tacked on to another person's' concept/creation (hey, get as much as we can out of this, right?).
    It makes sense, if you don't think about it.
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

The essence of power armor is protective gear that gives a human being the capacity to do things that he couldn't normally do...

Such as use sound dampeners to mute the noise around him, leap 6 stories, move 5 10 times faster, throw kunai at the speed of a bullet...
  • Options
    nicey102nicey102 Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Updated my submission a little changed the gun and got the new hairstyles up
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh boy this is gonna be great for me! Super-ambitious suggestions backed up by a dude who can't draw to save his life yaaaay.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Bluh, yours is cool. Have you seen the MUTO from the Godzilla movie? I want a head like that. And bio-luminescent skin.
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Lots of great entries. hope to see more over the next couple of weeks. Good luck to everyone. Think we will all be winners if this is popular and becomes a regular thing.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    eiledon wrote: »
    Lots of great entries. hope to see more over the next couple of weeks. Good luck to everyone. Think we will all be winners if this is popular and becomes a regular thing.

I really really really really want the top three to all be turned into sets. There are so many that I want and that should be in the game already, like Bunni's ear and tail set.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    just post a new entry The Beast Master Set
    Hope you guys like
  • Options
    c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nicey102 wrote: »
    Here's another set I came up with, Its called the Beast Master Set
    The main thing here is the fighting staff/spear and the fighting claws

The 'claws' are in the game, if you select fighting claws as an attack. They appear under the weapon options at the tailor and are called katar aka punch dagger. The spear is not in game but is called Crescent moon spear aka Dan Yue Ji and is a Chinese weapon.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    agentcanadaagentcanada Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Alright I posted mine, it's called the Iconic Crest Costume set and it's meant to make the rather small and sometimes awkwardly placed Champions emblems bigger and more heroic. I mean nobody whispers their battle cry or hides their war banners, they should be larger than life. The rest of the set is just pieces or tweaks I'd like to see added to the creator. When I finish my female drawing you will hopefully see how it also means that female heroes can wear bigger logos as well.
    Ps. Go gentle on me
    AC
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    And I posted a hideous pretty picture. Huzzah, it hopefully gets some of the ideas across.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Okay posted 3 of my ideas, if the overlay one doesn't make sense please ask and I will explain further.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I hope we could do another contest where we 'pick a posture'. The ones we have now need some help.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=4088971#post4088971

There, I fixed it.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    cervando(?) the side drape cape is already in game. I got to see it when the tailor glitched.

nicey- can you add the fur headpeice and cape to both sexes, it doesn't make sense if only the male beast master gets to hide..um under hide. love the deigns though

thesoulstar- stuff robocop- the way you drew that, you could sell it as the transparent skin option, see the insides. Love the pen and watercolour pencil work.

Bluhman- er.. what's wrong with your drawing, they look perfectly ok to me.

agentcanada- great icon shapes. female figure- OTT bust , standard or realistic? I can tell you from screenprinting, doing a picture on a female tshirt is different from doing it on a male one.

ok back to working on the fig leaves, they um...er...kind of got out of hand. I now have fruit, vegetables and nuts too. yes including armour and weapons[sorry Cybersoldier- no guns except maybe a peashooter(literally)]

anyone for a game of conkers- heavy weapon style?

Disclaimer: No claim is made to seriousness, common sense or usefulness of this set. The person responsible is not known for stability or thinking in anyway, which can be remotely described as normal.

especially after seeing that fig leaves are deciduous, so the winter clothing is going to be a bit bare on the branch

• Options
    zemmaxzemmax Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    cervando(?) the side drape cape is already in game. I got to see it when the tailor glitched.

Gosh darnit I spent good minutes working on pics for making some capes like that. Well, I might aswell post it, hoping that IT'S NOT EXACTLY THE SAME. :frown:
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    "agentcanada- great icon shapes. female figure- OTT bust , standard or realistic? I can tell you from screenprinting, doing a picture on a female tshirt is different from doing it on a male one."

Cool and very true. I don't know a lot about video games or what OTT bust actually means but I have done a bit of costuming and most of my emblems were an extra layer of cloth sewn on to the tops. This extra layering removes a bit of the stretch from the tights in that spot and usually maintains it's (the emblem) shape. My idea is actually borrowed from other games and my love of comics.

Games: Costume drops can alter and change the proportions of the model when equipped. Now I'm not a game designer so I don't know if that's a difficult process, so my idea is add a bigger/flatter crest to the existing model for the in game emblems to sit on.

Comics: Sue Storm's original costume and logo is the same as Reed's and for the most part it should be

Either way thanks for the comments and hopefully my second pic will be up tonight.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Interesting, I must have seen 100's of hidden items when the tailor has glitched, I even managed to save a costume with hidden stuff on one occasion, but I have never seen the one shoulder cape.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    nicey- can you add the fur headpeice and cape to both sexes, it doesn't make sense if only the male beast master gets to hide..um under hide. love the deigns though

Hey I see what you mean, I'm updating it right now, should be up in a couple of secs
  • Options
    kyuuremi1kyuuremi1 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have plenty of designs to submit to you all if you are interested, but I would like a job there if I'm going to submit those.

Hit me up on Kyubimaru. You know where to find me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kyubimaru Was Here
    Check out the Bloodline of Shadows Website for more information as well as upcoming events and good stuff from your favorite Ninja Clan!
    http://bloodlineofshadows.webs.com/
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have to say, this contest is AMAZING! I already knew the community's creativity levels were high, but to see our ideas pouring out is just really cool!! Spread the word everyone! Let's get more stuff out there. Even if it doesn't make it to a winners list, who knows what it may spark with the devs to create for the future ^.^
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    vizzonevizzone Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have no artistic ability, but I can definitely say there's a lot of neat stuff in that thread. Will the winner get the costume set they designed as a reward for free? Because I think that would be a nice bonus for them.
  • Options
    beautfldssonancebeautfldssonance Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tariser12 wrote: »
    Not sure if it qualifies since it's mostly tails but...

Lobster style head and tail

Crab claw style hands

Chest piece that looks like folded extra set of legs (doesn't move just looks like insect legs)

Ant abdomen - tail

Scorpion tail

Praying Mantis -- hands (or bracers if easier)

I just noticed this post. I made a pack with most of this. I'd like to use the insect chest piece, and the lobster stuff could be added for the people who want it. Tariser, you could vote for mine or something.

"There is a point beyond which there is no return. That point must be reached." - Kafka

[sigpic][/sigpic]
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited April 2014
    There've been some questions about using reference images -- that players don't own -- as part of their entry. On the one hand, it's legally important that the idea be created for the entry, so that we're not claiming ownership of an idea that someone else made. On the other hand, reference images have to be okay.

Guiding principle: If you can't honestly claim that you made an idea your own, don't submit it.

If you're using reference images, please make sure that they're one of two things: either standard, commonly-available things, or you're clearly taking pieces of the image as inspiration

*For common items, use this as a good example. They're normal items, with very standard appearances.

*For using images as items, use this as a good example. These are clearly being used for reference: Sister breaks down the interesting part of each image, so in my mind, I combine what Sister says into a costume set.

*We definitely value people doing their own work and drawing stuff out, because it makes it easier for us to imagine the full set. We're not disqualifying things if they don't have original art, but those do help our imaginations work.

Hope that clears it up for everyone!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    There've been some questions about using reference images -- that players don't own -- as part of their entry......

If you're using reference images, please make sure that they're one of two things: either standard, commonly-available things, or you're clearly taking pieces of the image as inspiration

Hope that clears it up for everyone!

So... am I good, even though those weapons are tradmarked products of IMI, Fabrique Nationale, and the like? Or is it understood with those things I'm saying 'kinda like this'.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So... am I good, even though those weapons are tradmarked products of IMI, Fabrique Nationale, and the like? Or is it understood with those things I'm saying 'kinda like this'.

I wouldn't worry. Even if you said make this piece identical...they are only using our ideas for inspiration. So it really doesn't matter what we post because the end product will be a interpretation of what we wanted. So for instance lets say you wanted swat gear and took a picture of some movie, they would say, "okay I see what he wants" and the designers would do whatever. So even though I love these fine tuned pieces of art, those details will probably not be in the end result.

For instance we have a Cyclops like visor in game...is it like his? Yes. Is it his? No
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    good news is, it seems to be NPC only so post it. maybe we'll be able to get one

cervando- I happened to be in the back section when tailor glitched, I thinks name was draped cape

OTT - over the top. max bust, max chest width and depth, extra mass.
    Buxom did a really good example with the Victorian costume set, they made the female actually look top heavy rather than deformed.

Basic problem is the picture goes out and the back under. you have to place them slightly higher on females

WORST pun so far- Orosaki "armey costume. that was a definite groaner.

Zemmack- great costume idea- the poncho effect would go well with a lot of tops.

• Options
    theghosthacktheghosthack Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, there's my second name tossed in the hat.

I really wish I could draw... I cant help feeling that (unless the Devs are going to take the top five and mock them up, personally) the entry that looks the best is going to end up winning :-/
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I wouldn't worry about it, all they asked for was a visual component as a guide and a written component for descriptions. You've done both already, they may pick the top five but the fans vote on the best of the five. Good luck to everybody that tried to fill the requirements as best they could.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Just dumped another in there. If anyone wants to voltron some ideas together, let me know.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    People, do you realise that costumes with two or more heads, or four arms are just NOT possible because of technical reasons?

CO can't support it.

Posting such concepts is just a waste of time. They can't be realised even it they were victorious.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    People, do you realise that costumes with two or more heads, or four arms are just NOT possible because of technical reasons?

CO can't support it.

Posting such concepts is just a waste of time. They can't be realised even it they were victorious.

I think it would be cool if they did a 'two faced head', and the arms were shriveled and mutated (or not humanoid!)... that could work.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    kyuuremi1 wrote: »
    I have plenty of designs to submit to you all if you are interested, but I would like a job there if I'm going to submit those.

Hit me up on Kyubimaru. You know where to find me.

you seem to be in the wrong section, this is for discussion of the costume contest entries, not job vacancies.

Here's the link for current vacancies;
    http://crypticstudios.com/openings.

There's 19 so, just check which qualifications and experience match yours and apply

• Options
    whyte15whyte15 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i will post some costumes soon, hope u guys like it
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited April 2014
    zemmax wrote: »
    Armor Attachment/Cape over shoulder/Heroic Poncho!

Sorry if the idea is posted and I think someone mentioned they got these planned already but here I doodled something.

I dunno how to describe these, so I let the pics the pics tell you.

Basically there can be multiple patterns on the costume piece, maybe even the usual patterns we have in tights?(also details)

Click the pictures to make em bigger!

13186625.t.jpg
    Upperbody clothing/armor with no cape

13186626.t.jpg
    Upperbody clothing/armor with neck piece

13186627.t.jpg
    Upperbody clothing/armor and neck piece with Cape attachment (Cape can have all the patterns than the normal ones

13186635.t.jpg
    Hero with all the pieces + Collar + some custom tights.

Wow this is cool !!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2014

CO can't support it.

weeeeeell......

there IS this guy on the right...
    psiarmor.jpg

and... I know Ive seen this guy at least once...
    Grond.jpg
    ...oh, and his little friend...
    Grondling_Raider_(Burning_Sands).png

......something that provides multiple arms IS "possible" in the game engine (they may not be uniquely articulated, but that's not necessarily the expectation, either)
    The real question is: is it WORTH the effort to program something that would appeal to the masses, and will be be resource-cost prohibitive given limited time and budget...

The reality is... nothing is going to make the "top 5 list" that we get to vote on, unless the Developers have already decided they are willing to devote resources to making it.
    AND, since we can post up as many ideas as we want, there isn't any PENALTY for submitting ideas that others might feel is "obviously" not going to be chosen.
    The Devs will decided what is, and what is not possible....
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I see no technical reason why the multiple-heads concept presented here wouldn't be doable - it doesn't require any adjustment to the basic skeleton, just changing the standard head to a "helmet" of sorts with the two heads stuck on. The arms (and the centaur body proposed much earlier) would be a totally different proposition, of course.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    weeeeeell......

Wrong.

Arm models are possible. Animations for them - do not even exist.

All these mobs are using the same narrow set of might-like powers and that's how many animations are for four-armed skeleton.

So, arms are not supported by player powers. That pretty much rules them out.

To think that every power available for players would be redone for four arms, and that would be needed to have them working, to think that complete set of animations for four arms (for every action and power) will be done...
    Because of one costume set?

Is to be daydreaming. Seriously.

A single costume will not guarantee return of this kind of investment. That's much more effort than modeling and texturing for a "standard" costume set.

There is no point in fooling yourself.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I really like berfegor's latest entry.

Some suggestions though:
    Maybe having the shorts and belt be separate pieces? (female shorts)
    have the shorts be just in tights with skin (but longer and more detailed than the current up-you-butt shorts options currently available.)

girls should totally get to have those cool dreds and the Keffiyeh scarf as well as the boys.

Lastly, something like chloe's pants:
    Chloe_Frazer.jpg
    in either tights or pants (tucked), and a female and male version
    and
    something like this top (bra/spaghetti strap combo):
    TombRaider6.jpg
    or Drake's double-shirt look:
    nathan_drake___render_17_by_snakeff7-d4gsbp5.png

call it the "Rebel" costume set, or the "Freedom Fighter" costume set, or something...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Wrong.

Arm models are possible. Animations for them - do not even exist.

All these mobs are using the same narrow set of might-like powers and that's how many animations are for four-armed skeleton.

So, arms are not supported by player powers. That pretty much rules them out.

To think that every power available for players would be redone for four arms, and that would be needed to have them working, to think that complete set of animations for four arms (for every action and power) will be done...
    Because of one costume set?

Is to be daydreaming. Seriously.

A single costume will not guarantee return of this kind of investment. That's much more effort than modeling and texturing for a "standard" costume set.

There is no point in fooling yourself.

dude, who pee'd in your cheerios?
    Chill, and think.
    it is functionally POSSIBLE to do what the costume suggestion proposed. whether it's FEASIBLE is a separate matter.

There is ZERO downside, here. you can wish for pony legs or snake bodies or edible heads. It DOES.NOT.MATTER.
    if the Devs like it (i.e. WANT and FEEL ABLE to achieve it) they WILL push it through to the final 5.
    If they dont, or cant make it happen... then it wont.

the fact that you think it's a bad idea is immaterial.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    While the idea is good and valid, the aspect of feasibility's still quite important to consider. I think that if we're going to suggest a piece that sort of pushes the limits of what's possible with a normal human skeleton, we should also go out of our way a bit to explain how it'd work mechanically. There's a lot of that going on in my suggestion (how the parts map or match up to basic human shapes - which is ultimately what every set should do.)

To that end, what would the extra arms do while using all the different player animations? Depending on the idea of how big to make them, they could probably be stationary protrusions from the chest/underarm area, or maybe have a jiggle/physics enabled component (at the forearm, maybe?) At most it might be viable to make the extra arms be mapped to move with the actual arms; just not interact directly with any weapons or other models that might be involved.

EDIT: Should also maybe throw out some props to the sets I've seen so far and really like. In all honesty, they're the ones I see that have parts that I think we sorely need for some fairly basic concepts/looks. (Yes, they're meant to be sets, but honestly who uses a costume set just for the entire set itself? Sets are all about mixing and matching!)
    orrynn wrote: »
    Welcome to B-Movie's Backlot Thrift Store.
    berfegor wrote: »
    Hi
    eiledon wrote: »
    Secret Summer Set
    c3rvand0 wrote: »
    like a million capes
    Primordial Sea.
    spordelia wrote: »
    Heroic Fashion Set

• Options
    edited April 2014
    dude, who pee'd in your cheerios?
    Chill, and think.
    it is functionally POSSIBLE to do what the costume suggestion proposed. whether it's FEASIBLE is a separate matter.

There is ZERO downside, here. you can wish for pony legs or snake bodies or edible heads. It DOES.NOT.MATTER.
    if the Devs like it (i.e. WANT and FEEL ABLE to achieve it) they WILL push it through to the final 5.
    If they dont, or cant make it happen... then it wont.

the fact that you think it's a bad idea is immaterial.

As I said, you may wish, but whether they like it THAT much, or no... Realistically, it will not happend. And that's very material. :)

I'm only warning, so CO community will not start suddeny cry about promises not being kept, even if expectations were simply unreasonably high. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Fair to say... but the only promise made so far, is that they'll look at what we post in that thread.

period.

Which is why so many people are wandering in just asking for a single costume part, or a list of hair styles, etc, despite the fact that the contest is EXPLICITLY for "A Costume Set" (which, given someone's response to my question is a specifically defined term)

Being observed by the Development team is in no way a promise that any particular part will make it to the voting stage...
    ...and as I said, if it DOES make it to the voting stage, the developers have already determined it to be feasible by whatever metric they're using to judge.

There are, functionally, NO LIMITS to what you post in the costume contest thread (barring a plea to duplicate copywritten material)....
    It is, quite literally, ALL "wishing", at this point.

(re: bluhman:
    No idea how the suggester hoped they would function... they could just be props, like the back objects (gadgeteer armatures) or limited animation (wings)..... but for my own part, i would not be interested in them, at all, if they weren't fully actuated, which I don't find likely, and wouldn't want the devs to waste time on, when so much else in this game demands their attention.)
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And we're supposed to vote on ONE winner at the end of all of this?

:frown::confused:
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    And we're supposed to vote on ONE winner at the end of all of this?

:frown::confused:

After Cryptic North has narrowed down what is doable......would be good.
    Because we sure don't want to hear 'We would love to do it, but.....'.
    But so far, it's not too hard to choose...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    First one submitted. One more to go. Next one will be flameworthy, I promise. ;>