Install Arc
Options

Boredum Ingame

2»

Comments

• Options
    ravancheravanche Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The dichotomy of a theme park, players burn through content way way faster than the developers can make it. Even if Cryptic was some how to come out with say a new zone and ten more levels of content in several weeks, players would burn through it and be done and claim there is nothing to do. It's a game of patience and one they are trying to fill in with these events while the wait for something bigger (hopefully) comes down the horizon.

Blizzard has a term for it: The Locust Effect. The high-end, high-performing players will always burn through any new content in the shortest time mathematically possible in their mad rush to End Game, and the best gear, loot, raids, etc. Thus creating content specifically to cater to that faction of the playerbase is no longer a viable business model.

To put the analogy here, should they spend six months on Dev resources to develop a new zone, raise the level cap, only to have the playerbase this content is aimed at chew it up and be "bored" again in two weeks and clamoring for new content? No. They revised the Rampage system, and added a new tier of gear (effectively raising the level cap, with regards to power)... and in less than a month people have multiple characters in full Justice, and are complaining there is no content for them... again.
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited April 2014
    ravanche wrote: »
    Blizzard has a term for it: The Locust Effect. The high-end, high-performing players will always burn through any new content in the shortest time mathematically possible in their mad rush to End Game, and the best gear, loot, raids, etc. Thus creating content specifically to cater to that faction of the playerbase is no longer a viable business model.

To put the analogy here, should they spend six months on Dev resources to develop a new zone, raise the level cap, only to have the playerbase this content is aimed at chew it up and be "bored" again in two weeks and clamoring for new content? No. They revised the Rampage system, and added a new tier of gear (effectively raising the level cap, with regards to power)... and in less than a month people have multiple characters in full Justice, and are complaining there is no content for them... again.

Welli could agree if cryptic would have added new content in the past 2 years... but no....we still havent seen a atleast new AP yet...
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    Welli could agree if cryptic would have added new content in the past 2 years... but no....we still havent seen a atleast new AP yet...

Blind you must be.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    ravanche wrote: »

Queued battles and no we zones do contributes to boredom.

Exploration is a large part of MMOs. CO dramatically lacks any explorable content. Doesn't also help that all zones are level locked and there is only one leveling path.

Blizzard may call it locust effect, but they still do invest in new zones.

CO dramatically needs something, even if something as simple as unlocking all zones and making all quest replayable, STO style.
    I'm not hoping for entirely new zones, since it obviously requires more manpower and resources than CO can invest for now. There is no way we will ever get a new zones like STO or NW. But at least present railroaded play could be broken. Things like no level gated zones and instanced quests scaled to player level.

As it is now, once you hit 40 with one or two toons, you're basically done with CO. Alting is for masochists, considering that leveling always looks the same.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Queued battles and no we zones do contributes to boredom.

Exploration is a large part of MMOs. CO dramatically lacks any explorable content. Doesn't also help that all zones are level locked and there is only one leveling path.

Blizzard may call it locust effect, but they still do invest in new zones.

CO dramatically needs something, even if something as simple as unlocking all zones and making all quest replayable, STO style.
    I'm not hoping for entirely new zones, since it obviously requires more manpower and resources than CO can invest for now. There is no way we will ever get a new zones like STO or NW. But at least present railroaded play could be broken. Things like no level gated zones and instanced quests scaled to player level.

As it is now, once you hit 40 with one or two toons, you're basically done with CO. Alting is for masochists, considering that leveling always looks the same.

They invest in new zones, and the average wait time before people see the new zone is usually 2 years though, with them saving zones they were working on for later updates, if that much. Not to mention those updates usually come at additional $40 bucks on top of the subscription you pay. It's also hard to ignore that WoW currently makes the most money of any MMO, something an MMO does need to survive let alone make massive updates. And one can also argue that the last two expansions for WoW weren't exactly well received either, since they've been losing significant sub numbers since Cataclysm.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    Doesn't change that both STO and NW also had new maps added.
    PWE flagship game also had one expansion with whole new continent added.

Yes, CO doesn't make enough money for new zones. And never will, there is no point in pretending that this game will ever get better.

That's why at least level caps must be lifted. Or anything. CO is one short railroad even when compared to any other mmo and playing with differet powers and costumes on characters can't change this.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Doesn't change that both STO and NW also had new maps added.
    PWE flagship game also had one expansion with whole new continent added.

Yes, CO doesn't make enough money for new zones. And never will, there is no point in pretending that this game will ever get better.

That's why at least level caps must be lifted. Or anything. CO is one short railroad even when compared to any other mmo and playing with differet powers and costumes on characters can't change this.

Well you sort of hit the nail on the head. STO and NW have larger players bases and get more money. But then again we don't know what's going on. For all we know Cryptic is sitting on a big announcement for some new expansion idea for Champions. After all, we are starting to get trickle content updates, exactly what happened with STO, and now they have a contest for us to get a costume of our design in the game, offered with $60 bucks worth of prizes. I'd say Champions might be turning around at that point.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    But then again we don't know what's going on. For all we know Cryptic is sitting on a big announcement for some new expansion idea for Champions.

And monkeys will fly out of my ****.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Sounds painful, so you best see a doctor for that.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Sounds painful, so you best see a doctor for that.

So sure of your highly speculative speculation without a supporting basis, eh? Well, everyone needs their fantasies....
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    So sure of your highly speculative speculation without a supporting basis, eh? Well, everyone needs their fantasies....

Yea, they said the same thing with STO to. But hey, new costumes an event and $60 bucks worth of prizes to be thrown at something that obviously isn't getting dev or Cryptic attention.... or is that classified as attention now? *shrugs*
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yea, they said the same thing with STO to. But hey, new costumes an event and $60 bucks worth of prizes to be thrown at something that obviously isn't getting dev or Cryptic attention.... or is that classified as attention now? *shrugs*

There's a sweeping difference between an expansion and "attention." Cryptic is more likely to give STO a level cap increase than give CO an expansion. At the most we'll ever likely see from this this game is another temp event or a new contact with a mini-arc stuffed in somewhere. I wouldn't rest my hopes on anything grandiose.

Or does someone need to link to the vampire taco's post on the STO boards again?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    There's a sweeping difference between an expansion and "attention." Cryptic is more likely to give STO a level cap increase than give CO an expansion. At the most we'll ever likely see from this this game is another temp event or a new contact with a mini-arc stuffed in somewhere. I wouldn't rest my hopes on anything grandiose.

Or does someone need to link to the vampire taco's post on the STO boards again?

So far you seem to be missing the big picture or desperately trying to believe there is a difference. I can't remember the last time Cryptic gave $60 dollars in prizes in a contest away to Champions, but really, but I guess those tidbits don't matter. If it lets you sleep comfortable to believe nothing is going to happen to Champions, other than small things, so be it.

But you can also ask yourself why bother giving away that much in prizes and offering to add player submissions for a contest. Seems hardly a small thing considering such an addition would be a huge amount of development resources to model, texture, test and apply said things to the game. And the $60 dollars... that's almost 10 costume sets on its own. Oh and forgot that the player that wins can also give away 4 additional costumes to whoever they like so that's and additional $25 bucks or so.

I know you can't see the forest for the trees, but these are not things you do for a game you have little interest in updating.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    So far you seem to be missing the big picture or desperately trying to believe there is a difference. I can't remember the last time Cryptic gave $60 dollars in prizes in a contest away to Champions, but really, but I guess those tidbits don't matter. If it lets you sleep comfortable to believe nothing is going to happen to Champions, other than small things, so be it.

But you can also ask yourself why bother giving away that much in prizes and offering to add player submissions for a contest. Seems hardly a small thing considering such an addition would be a huge amount of development resources to model, texture, test and apply said things to the game. And the $60 dollars... that's almost 10 costume sets on its own. Oh and forgot that the player that wins can also give away 4 additional costumes to whoever they like so that's and additional $25 bucks or so.

I know you can't see the forest for the trees, but these are not things you do for a game you have little interest in updating.

You make $60 sound like it's $600. Need I remind you that one freeform slot is $50 and a vehicle ranges around $20+? This is chump change for a company; you're reading too much into it.

But if it makes you sleep better thinking things are going to magically improve for CO, be my guest.

But here's the reality: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=14501981&postcount=296
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Look, I'll say this.

1- I've given up hope of seeing an expansion. I'm more hoping for a sequel or spiritual sequel, or a Cryptic game that boasts the same level of character customization as CO. Maybe a Sci-fi game that has a real use for vehicles and a better implementation than CO.

2- I'm still thinking we'll see more powers, which to a degree I can get behind. As crazy as it sounds, new powers gives me new character ideas.

3- The contest for a costume is a step in the right direction. The zen prize might not cost them anything, but it's a cool prize for a player. Personally, I don't care if it takes nothing more than a nod and code to be punched in. Not to mention, letting the community's creativity add to the game is a huge plus and leaps and bounds beyond what we had for the longest time. Hopefully, this won't be the last time.

4- I mentioned it before, and I'd love to see some charity-type events for CO, and more contests to make-over NPC's and mobs.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Compared to the Design-a-Villain contest it's an infinitefold increase :p

Honestly I'd rather see a Champions Online 2 announcement or something where they decide to start over without vehicles, have Foundry support from the ground up and lockboxes give 100% cosmetic stuff like the Sakura Lockbox featuring Flower Petal Hurricane, which replaces Hurricane's gfx with a gust of fabulous pink flower petals.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think we're doing about right.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Oh those poor monkeys. :eek:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Oh those poor monkeys. :eek:

Tommy-Lee-Jones-in-No-Country-For-Old-Men_zpse2e0ecfa.png
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Tommy-Lee-Jones-in-No-Country-For-Old-Men_zpse2e0ecfa.png
    -
    JotUCPzEe86Fs5a0GIm08jDw7nfHHWd_CVxm04-T6Co=w335-h245-p-no
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    foosnarkfoosnark Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Boredom is an internal emotion, dependent more on your attitude and other factors than on one particular activity.

I've been a LTS for almost 4 years and I'm not bored with the game -- and there's a bunch of stuff I haven't done yet. I've never done any PVP at all. Never did Nemcon. Never did most of the lairs. Never did any missions after 40. Never did a Gravatar alert since the first couple of days when she was killing everyone 100% of the time. :D Never did all the Lemuria missions -- never even did all the desert missions. There are several perks I haven't completed. I don't belong to any SGs.

Actually I'm not even interested in doing most of those things.

But I have... I think it's 36 at level 40 and 25 characters under 40. And there are more concepts and builds that I want to try. And I hope that one day there will be another new powerset or major additions to existing ones.

(There have, during my subscription time, been a few months here and there where I just didn't play Champions -- either because some other game was occupying my time or because I was busy working on an album with a deadline. I think the longest I went was 4 months. Other times, I will play at least a couple of hours 7 days a week.)
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    foosnark wrote: »
    Boredom is an internal emotion, dependent more on your attitude and other factors than on one particular activity.

I've been a LTS for almost 4 years and I'm not bored with the game -- and there's a bunch of stuff I haven't done yet. I've never done any PVP at all. Never did Nemcon. Never did most of the lairs. Never did any missions after 40. Never did a Gravatar alert since the first couple of days when she was killing everyone 100% of the time. :D Never did all the Lemuria missions -- never even did all the desert missions. There are several perks I haven't completed. I don't belong to any SGs.

But I have... I think it's 36 at level 40 and 25 characters under 40. And there are more concepts and builds that I want to try. And I hope that one day there will be another new powerset or major additions to existing ones.

(There have, during my subscription time, been a few months here and there where I just didn't play Champions -- either because some other game was occupying my time or because I was busy working on an album with a deadline. I think the longest I went was 4 months. Other times, I will play at least a couple of hours 7 days a week.)

and what exactly do you you do on the album?
    samples please :biggrin:

just reread a few pages...um could have done without the monkey picture. brain on shut down
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    what/who is work?

Well there's your problem right there.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    foosnark wrote: »

spinnytop wrote: »

ingame... im bored within the game.. i have done all missions on all maps i have justice gear and i did also pvp for a few weeks....basicly ive done everything ingame..

how can people be subbed for 4 years and havent done everything already ingame?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You powerlevel your way through everything, as discussed in the thread about the Warlord alert. If you'd slowed down and actually played the game instead of acting as if cranking the numbers all the way up on your toon were the be-all and end-all of the game, you might be enjoying it too.

(In the 3rd edition PnP manual, there was a section on what roleplaying was, properly speaking. Paraphrasing, they made the point that your character should be more than just "a pile of points that means you can pick up a car, eat the tires, and throw the rest a country mile." Instead, they offered the hypothetical that after a tough week at work, you get back to your apartment and the A/C is out. Then the attractive member of the opposite gender (or same gender, depending on your preference) across the hall invites you over for a cold drink or two. The evening is looking up, romance is in the air - and on the news, you hear that the mayor has been abducted by a pair of supervillains. What is it that makes you pass on the pleasant evening you had planned in order to rescue a politician who probably thinks that all those costumed vigilantes should be sharing prison space with the villains? That's what your character is, not powers and statistics.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I do it with 80 characters.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    You powerlevel your way through everything, as discussed in the thread about the Warlord alert. If you'd slowed down and actually played the game instead of acting as if cranking the numbers all the way up on your toon were the be-all and end-all of the game, you might be enjoying it too.

(In the 3rd edition PnP manual, there was a section on what roleplaying was, properly speaking. Paraphrasing, they made the point that your character should be more than just "a pile of points that means you can pick up a car, eat the tires, and throw the rest a country mile." Instead, they offered the hypothetical that after a tough week at work, you get back to your apartment and the A/C is out. Then the attractive member of the opposite gender (or same gender, depending on your preference) across the hall invites you over for a cold drink or two. The evening is looking up, romance is in the air - and on the news, you hear that the mayor has been abducted by a pair of supervillains. What is it that makes you pass on the pleasant evening you had planned in order to rescue a politician who probably thinks that all those costumed vigilantes should be sharing prison space with the villains? That's what your character is, not powers and statistics.)

Can just thumbsup on this? where's a like button? seriously, THIS is what role-playing is, and as an Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game, I wonder what it is that attracts so many non-roleplayers into the games who then wonder why they aren't enjoying the experience as much as some others.

You say you've done "everything" in this game, but I dare to say you probably really haven't. I bet almost anything you haven't actually set aside time to role-play as your character(s) with other people, as if the experiences in the game were actually happening to them. Or just relaxing in-character after a tough day saving the world or some corner of it.

I don't necessarily expect you too, either, but this is the thing you're probably missing.
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2014

2420+ hours on record. Have never touched Whiteout.

I just never felt like doing it :V
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    scorpagor wrote: »
    2420+ hours on record. Have never touched Whiteout.

I just never felt like doing it :V

How?

i started my first toon ( soldier ) and completet all the available missions (( on all the maps )) within 2 weeks oO

how did yo avoid all missions then?

i mean okay you could go with alerts but thats not the point i think... i only levleled my other toons with alerts .. but with my first i did every single bit in this game oO
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Some people like to go sight seeing.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    how did yo avoid all missions then?

i mean okay you could go with alerts but thats not the point i think... i only levleled my other toons with alerts .. but with my first i did every single bit in this game oO

Where in my post did it say I avoided all missions? I just said Whiteout, I've done everything else.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »

Right Foxi your obviously one of two people, Ima watching you U__U.

hB76B9572
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    since you've done all the available missions, can you tell me how many there are?
    It'll be in one of your achievements. e.g. hero, superhero. etc.
    The most I have on any character is about 340.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    since you've done all the available missions, can you tell me how many there are?
    It'll be in one of your achievements. e.g. hero, superhero. etc.
    The most I have on any character is about 340.

There are more than those achievements give. I am pretty sure the number is close if not over 500 missions in game so far.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    There are more than those achievements give. I am pretty sure the number is close if not over 500 missions in game so far.

damn got a lot more to find. thankfully mostly in desert and canada