test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's worth spending zen on

devilinglassesdevilinglasses Posts: 69
So, I've been perusing the zen store since I started playing a few days ago, an I'm genuinely unsure as to wwhat is worth buying. Most games have lots of consumables, mounts, pets, costumes, etc. but looking at the item mall, it seems like everything I ever need I can have without spending a penny.

Now don't get me wrong, I pan to subscribe as soon as payday come around, but that's a pretty huge flaw for a free to play game. I, as a new player, am looking through the item mal and seeing absolutely nothing worth buying.

Auras? I get one free with every character. Bases? I get 2 free with an arc code, and costumes and titles with another

Vehicles? My champion can fly nd shoot energy beams, don't need one

costumes? The amount you get for free is staggering. there's no need to buy any unless you absolutely NEED to have it for your dream character.

All in all, I guess the point of this topic is to say that the monetisation in this game is terrible, There's really so little motivation to spend any money. I'm only subbing because I really like the look of the game and want to offer my support to it.

Am I the only one thinking this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I mostly buy costumes, powers and occasionally hideouts to flesh out my character concepts. You're right that there's nothing you NEED in the store, but I like that about it.
    edited April 2014
    Hideouts.

It's extra bank space, a place for private gatherings, and all your characters can use it.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Auras? I get one free with every character. Bases? I get 2 free with an arc code, and costumes and titles with another

The aura you get free with each character is limited to the auras that the passive power used to give and are not the ones available in the store.
    Vehicles? My champion can fly nd shoot energy beams, don't need one

Vehicles are not necessary, especially if you have a flight travel power and decent AoE. A Blade with Athletics on the other hand could find one to be useful. Or a Mind that wanted to pew pew a bit. Or for anyone that needs to be able to drastically change abilities for something. You can outfit a vehicle for support as well as damage or tanking.
    costumes? The amount you get for free is staggering. there's no need to buy any unless you absolutely NEED to have it for your dream character.

There are never enough costume pieces.

But as has been said before, thankfully there is nothing you absolutely need in the store.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Hideouts.

It's extra bank space, a place for private gatherings, and all your characters can use it.

Speaking of which, I forgot extra shared bank slots. I've bought a LOT of those.
    edited April 2014
    To echo other's sentiments: Need? No; Worth Zen? Yes.

Even though I'm a lifer, I've bought travel powers that have absolutely made a character's theme before.

Of course, as Caliga said: hideouts, especially the penthouse, perfect for old characters, old money and/or young, genius entrepreneurs.

I have a love/hate relationship with costume sets. I've bought some whose pieces I incorporated into almost every character and others that I couldn't even use on the character I had planned to.

Edit: On vehicles, I lucked out and got one for the only character I wanted one for with one key. So, I'm probably not a good example for them.
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    welcome to Champions free to play. Which was originally a subscription game, so unlike most F2P games, you can get pretty much everything in game. You don't need to buy anything.

F2P games usually have a load of cosmetic stuff in stores because that is their only revenue stream.

check out Neverwinter which is designed as a F2p game and see the difference.
    on the question;
    before I went gold, I bought some extra AT's,

hideout slots lots of,
    character slots lots of,(alt-aholic)
    costumes that i like which aren't in game,
    safeguard catalysts- good value when ranking up mods
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    devilinglassesdevilinglasses Posts: 69
    edited April 2014
    I mean in terms of not having t spend any money, it's great, but in term of the game's long term health and profitability, not so much (especially with lifetime subs. one time payments only pay the bills for so long)
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Account wide costume slots and costume sets, along with shared stash space are the things I got the most of.
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Things I've bought with Zen:

Costume packs. Lots and lots and lots of costume packs. Starting to slow down on these since I've gotten most of the good ones. There's still some I want.

Travel powers. Yes, you can get by just find with the defaults, but if you want a certain theme the right travel power look can make a big difference

Hideouts. Yeah, as a gold I got one for free (and there's Arc promo like you said). But it's nice to have different hideouts that thematically suit each of my toons.

Hideout bank slots. Moar storage is good, especially the kind that lets you trade stuff between your toons. I like to shift my mods all onto one toon who has max skill for fusing.

Account wide costume slots. I like having multiple outfits on my toons.

Sparkle Aura pack. Because it suited the theme for one of my toons.

Tune-up kit. Only one, to upgrade a low tier jetbike to have more mod slots.

Things I have not bought with Zen, but have acquired in some other fashion.

Vehicles. I have two. Both acquired through the AH. I had a third I got from a lockbox that I sold off in the AH as well.

Lockbox keys. All lockbox keys I have used were purchased from the AH. I have not spent one Zen on them.

Things I may purchase in the future with Zen:

ATs. There's the likelihood of having to cancel my gold sub in the near future (wish I could afford lifetime :frown: ). So I may decide to purchase one or two ATs.

Things I will NEVER purchase, for Zen or otherwise:

Rank up catalysts. The low level ones are not needed as it's ridiculously easy to fuse the low ranks, and the high rank catalysts are just so WTF expensive.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For me these days, Zen or Q is for keys, catalyst packs, costume sets (though I have most I want now), vigilante gear, vehicle weapon mods, and the heirloom gear sets (and one tune-up kit).

Nothing I really need, but some good stuff to have.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I prefer the F2P games that don't shove the cash shop in your face. More often then not, those games aren't worth playing anyway. Dragon's Profit comes to mind.

At this point, there isn't a whole lot I care to buy zen or q wise. But if I was a new player, I'd be buying costumes, account costume slots, shared bank slots, costumes, travel powers, and, um... costumes.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    I prefer the F2P games that don't shove the cash shop in your face. More often then not, those games aren't worth playing anyway. Dragon's Profit comes to mind.

I invite you to play Star Trek Trexels for iOS. That game is the one true example of having the cash shop in your face.

Angry Joe has an entertaining video on that which highlights how not to do F2P.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Surely there is something to want from the store. If not, why ask that someone tell you want to buy?
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    I invite you to play Star Trek Trexels for iOS. That game is the one true example of having the cash shop in your face.

Angry Joe has an entertaining video on that which highlights how not to do F2P.

Or that Dungeon Keeper remake that EA recently released. Oh good lord the DK fans blew up at that...
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    mog555mog555 Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I never spent real money in any of the games I play, so a lot of decision and saving though.....:smile:

I commonly buy Costume pieces, as you cannot get enough of them. Account bank slots and Auras.

Rarely buy are ATs, Travel power, Hideout, Characters slots, Account costume slots, Freeform slot and Devices.

Never buy or touch are Buff, Vehicles, Action figures, keys.

So now I'm stuck saving for another Freeform slot....... and it going to be forever for 1 slot that cost 5k zen:tongue:
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    thats where entering my weekly(well most weeks) contest in the forums, for a chance at a $25 pwe card is useful. anyone can enter.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    someguywhoplaysgames has a curious:

Surely there is something to want from the store. If not, why ask that someone tell you want to buy?

I dunno, if I was relatively new, I'd want to ask, too. If only to avoid the buyer's remorse of "Oooo, I could have bought THIS thing I didn't think about/didn't know was important!"
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I mean in terms of not having t spend any money, it's great, but in term of the game's long term health and profitability, not so much (especially with lifetime subs. one time payments only pay the bills for so long)

Freeform, doesnt matter if you buy the slot, lifetime, or sub. Freeform makes this game.
  • Options
    bruci8578bruci8578 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The only thing I bought with zen is: Sakura Mecha Armor (obtained by my own free-time in Q-farms), Invencible AT (loving it), Retractable Wings (I should have bought the rocket boots... But I still like this travel power), Inventor AT (really nice DPS) and... Variety pack, it's the costume pack you'll ever get.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    At last check, keys are up to 189G each on AH. If you're looking to make some quick G, it's a good time to buy keys. 900z for ~1800G after AH fee isn't half bad, and if there's nothing in the Z-store, maybe the AH has something you could pick up.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I haven't read much. I'm just going to cite my preferences.

Dude above me is right. Variety Pack. Pretty sweet deal, if you're Silver.

Nighthawk is very cool with the most versatile hood you can buy.

Robot Samurai isn't bad, comes with a cool sword that works for regular and heavy swords.

Iron Age has a lot of versatile parts, I use the mask and lost of people use other parts.

Power Armors, all of 'em. A lot of coolness.

I like the Cyberpunk set but it leaves a bit to be desired on its own (gotta trade zen for Questionite).

Steelhawk isn't bad at all.

Tech Tights is one of the coolest tights sets.

Ranged and Melee weapons packs- you'll be glad you did.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    At last check, keys are up to 189G each on AH. If you're looking to make some quick G, it's a good time to buy keys. 900z for ~1800G after AH fee isn't half bad, and if there's nothing in the Z-store, maybe the AH has something you could pick up.

The AH isn't trustworthy for the price of items.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The AH isn't trustworthy for the price of items.

I'm not sure about that. If it moves, it moves, and boy have I seen keys move.