test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Firetank build, need help

sukorupionsukorupion Posts: 9 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Power Discussion
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about building a tank character to be able to solo most legendary bosses with the fire powerframework.
I was thinking about taken endurance as a primary superstat ( for the specialization that gives 4 bonus health per point) and constitution and dexterity as secondary for health and some damage and healing boosts.
Do you have any suggestions how is should build this? I haven't finished my build yet so it is not yet available for you to comment on but please give me some useful tips for building this.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Post edited by sukorupion on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You mentioned soloing, but one thing to clear up is if you intend on tanking in groups w/ this. If so, you'll want 'challenging' advs, if not, then you can skip them for normal rank ups.

Anyways, here's a solo version of a Fire-tank build; a grouped version would require some significant changes, though:

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Inferno
    Level 6: Coordinated
    Level 9: Healthy Mind
    Level 12: Acrobat
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Impresario
    Level 21: Negotiator

Powers:
    Level 1: Throw Fire
    Level 1: Fireball (Rank 2, Unstable Accelerant)
    Level 6: Fire Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Defiance
    Level 11: Conflagration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Concentration
    Level 17: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 20: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Fire Snake (Trail Blazer)
    Level 26: Flashfire (Sweltering Heat)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2, Evanescent Emergence)
    Level 32: Masterful Dodge
    Level 35: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
    Level 38: Pyre (Backdraft)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Blazing Speed
    Level 35: Fire Flight

Specializations:
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Deflection (3/3)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (2/3)
    Guardian: Locus (1/2)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

I gave you Con PSS, cause for ranged that's one of the few ways to get knock resist w/o Strength gearing. Alternative to that is getting CoPD, but then ya are bound to the circle if ya want good knock resist. Chose Defiance as a the passive just cause Conflag use is energy intensive.

You can add w/e for the last power slots (added Pyre's backdraft as an in-theme CC, since the rest of the build lacks that). I gave ya some very safe/default building choices here- MSA, Conviction, 2 tank cds, ES/NM, Guard_Wardicator, Con/Dex/Int SS setup, etc. Not exciting outside the Fire moves themselves, but they work well, so..
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • sukorupionsukorupion Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thx man, I appreciate the time you took to make me a build.
    I have started to work with something myself with endurance as primary superstat,
    for both the huge amount of energy (so i actually don't need intelligence) and the specialization for the 4 bonus health per point.
    Con is my secondary but im not quite sure what the third should be, it'll either be dex or int.
    As for your tips about the CC-resistance, i'll take it into account and see what it will turn out to be, i hope you'll give me feedback on that one too :biggrin:
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Since you have a few spare adv points, remember the fire resistance debuff on firesnake scales with its rank.
    edited April 2014
    oops, forgot to mention that, ya- 6 free adv points for the build I posted, so ya can do things like rank up firesnake.
    Thx man, I appreciate the time you took to make me a build.
    I have started to work with something myself with endurance as primary superstat,
    for both the huge amount of energy (so i actually don't need intelligence) and the specialization for the 4 bonus health per point.
    Con is my secondary but im not quite sure what the third should be, it'll either be dex or int.
    As for your tips about the CC-resistance, i'll take it into account and see what it will turn out to be, i hope you'll give me feedback on that one too

Okay. I guess it was a non-grouping build ya wanted, then?
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Name:

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Matter Manipulator
    Level 6: Enduring
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves
    Level 12: Energetic
    Level 15: Indomitable
    Level 18: Daredevil
    Level 21: Ascetic

Powers:
    Level 1: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 6: Fireball (Unstable Accelerant, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 8: Conflagration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Defiance
    Level 14: Concentration
    Level 17: Telekinetic Shield (Rank 2, Telekinetic Reinforcement)
    Level 20: Flashfire (Sweltering Heat)
    Level 23: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Trail Blazer)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 32: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Circle of Primal Dominion (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Fire Flight

Specializations:
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

That is similar to what I would use as a Fire-tank.

You have all your basic fire attacks and snake debuff, plus a little more emphasis on defenses.

I chose TK shield because it has a lingering damage resistance buff (similar to force shields lingering energy buff) that will let you Conflag more throughout the fight, especially at the beginning when your main objective is to build Defiant stacks, this lets you get early dps or continue rotations in order to Conflag when all your dots are up.

Resurgence is there in case of an early spike while building Defiant. Rotate that and Unbreakable as needed.

You will have a ridiculous amount of energy coming in, so make sure to get your dots set up early so you can maximize your barrage of Conflags.

Threw in Challenging Strikes just in case you do some Alerts or the off-chance you do some teaming now and again. You should be dishing out enough damage that you shouldn't need Crippling Challenge with most teams. In the rare cases that someone would pull agro from you, he or she will likely have ways of dealing with that situation anyways.

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • sukorupionsukorupion Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    thx for the other build mate :biggrin:
    but I am wondering, why do you both have vindicatortree?
    I usually dont use it in my tank builds, is it for that little extra damage or
    doesn't that really matter?
  • beautfldssonancebeautfldssonance Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I was making a fire tank once. I might try again.

Primary Super Stat: Constitution
    Secondary Super Stats: Ego, Endurance
    Passive: Invulnerability
    First Travel Power: Chain Swinging or Energy Swinging
    Secondary Travel Power: Jet Boots or Jet Pack

Power Progression:

Throw Fire
    Fire Strike
    Thermal Reverbation
    Personal Force Field
    Pyre
    Field Surge
    Fire Shield
    Flashfire
    Bountiful Chi Resurgence
    Pyromancer's Blades
    Conflageration or Fire Breath
    Fireball
    Sigils of Arcane Runes
    Fire Snake

I don't have the trees memorized but I would take Protector and Guardian.

The point of this build is that you can deal a lot of Damage over Time and block while you do it, so you don't need to be actively attacking to be doing lots of damage. Taps are also good for tanks, since you can tap to apply a Crippling Challenge or Challenging Strikes and then do a maintain or charge for bigger damage, and it lets you block a lot more. Pyre can knock back and apply DoT to enemies that swarm you, and the Arcane Sigils do massive fire damage even at a low level. Fire Snake does debuffs for big bosses and other hard enemies. Most of it is just basic types of attacks for different scenarios and ranges.

"There is a point beyond which there is no return. That point must be reached." - Kafka

[sigpic][/sigpic]
    edited April 2014
    sukorupion wrote: »
    thx for the other build mate :biggrin:
    but I am wondering, why do you both have vindicatortree?
    I usually dont use it in my tank builds, is it for that little extra damage or
    doesn't that really matter?

Vindicator tree is the best tree out there, so usually that will be 1 of 2 picks. It is the only tree that gives 15% Crit Severity. All other trees cap at 10%, with the exception of Primary Stat trees. It also lets you grab some Crit Chance as well for whatever type of attack you use most Single Target or AoE. It is the most well-rounded tree that doesn't focus on any particular type of attack, and all of the bonuses are just there, there's no gimmick to "making the most of it"...they all just happen.

Warden tree is really too good to pass on too for tanks, the combo of Aggressive Stance and The Best Defense gives a bonus of a metric crapload of both defense and offense to your toon.

If you want both damage and survivability (which...well, EVERYONE does...) then this will be the combination of spec trees you take other than your Primary Superstat tree. It just so happens that EGO, in this case, is going to benefit you 2-fold. One, because it will give you defense from Force of Will, which, in turn, also gives offense. Secondly, it gives you access to Insight, which makes all your stuff cost less. So this just about completely alleviates the need for Int in this build.

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • beautfldssonancebeautfldssonance Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Guardian Tree is better than Vindicator Tree. Vindicator Tree is a pretty good generic tree though.

"There is a point beyond which there is no return. That point must be reached." - Kafka

[sigpic][/sigpic]
    edited April 2014
    Guardian Tree is better than Vindicator Tree. Vindicator Tree is a pretty good generic tree though.

Depends on the build and goals.

Vindicator becomes better w/ high crit builds since the flat crit% increases are more valuable once you are high into Dex/crit's DR. It also has more value w/ Warden or Guardian (or Avenger's Relentless Assault) w/ the large Offense boost playing in to Aggressive Stance.

For pure tanks, Protector is prob better (def for survival, and for threat if you want to use the Hybrid role), and Sentry has some merit w/ decent crit and single target attacks. OP wasn't really asking for a pure tank build, though- more of a dps-tank solo'er build.

Guardicator/Wardicator is so prevalent because the large offense/defense boosts and high crit severity + crit% increases assist all builds in some way (dps, crit heals, dps/threat for tanks). You can never really go wrong w/ those two choices (save for pet builds and group healer/shield builds- also CC.. but CC is rather pointless in pve overall).
    edited April 2014

High end AoEs in pve have made Warden>Guardian due to Elusive.

The "generic" part is what makes Vindicator better though...you don't need combo attacks or blast attacks for it to kick in, just have to pick what you use more of, single target or aoe.

As Flow said, pretty much the only time you don't take Vindicator (well, "shouldn't" take it), is in a true tank build with Protector, or a Healer or Pet build, which would use Sentinel or Sentinel/Commander as trees.

You can also make it all the way from 6-40 without a single heal aside from Vindicator's Rush of Battle, which makes it awesome for the lazyman's road to 40

Handle @brayv
  • oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Here's my attempt. Dual passive for easier levelling and for groups that already have a tank. Tanking advantages for group content, kept on separate attacks so they don't interfere with DPS role.

Name:

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Inferno
    Level 6: Impresario
    Level 9: Amazing Stamina
    Level 12: Survival Training
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Accurate
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves

Powers:
    Level 1: Fireball (Unstable Accelerant)
    Level 6: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 8: Conflagration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Fiery Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Flashfire
    Level 17: Form of the Tempest
    Level 20: Force Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3, Force Sheathe)
    Level 23: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 26: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Defiance
    Level 32: Vicious Cyclone (Vortex Technique, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 35: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Trail Blazer)
    Level 38: Resurgence (Rank 2, Evanescent Emergence)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Blazing Speed (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Phoenix Flight

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)