test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Glow Aura & Costume Design Contest!

dwightmcdwightmc Posts: 95 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Super News Network
Champions,

Check out the latest Aura to hit the C-Store: http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/champions-online/detail/3040703-now-available_-glow-aura-pack

Learn about the upcoming costume design contest: http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/champions-online/detail/3040693-design-a-costume_-we_ll-put-it-in_game_

we'll have an official costume design thread created just before the contest period begins, so keep an eye out for that.

Thanks!

Dwight
Post edited by dwightmc on

Comments

• cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Question:

For the Costume contest, can we snag images as 'individual parts' if they are real-world pictures?
  • onlyepicwolfonlyepicwolf Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Awesome, time to get sketching!
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Love the idea of the costume contest. I haven't any ideas to join with myself but having seen what people around here come up with, I'm very interested to see the results.

Also, new dev action figure? Is it a cryptic north figure?
  • dwightmcdwightmc Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Question:

For the Costume contest, can we snag images as 'individual parts' if they are real-world pictures?

Yes, if you aren't able to draw something you can use any way you can to give us an idea of what the costume would look like. All i would suggest, if you use real world pictures, is to put them together in such a way so we can visualize the entire costume set. That way your entry is more likely to be considered, and this is only because we are looking to create an entire costume set in-game not just single pieces.

Hope this helps,

Dwight
    edited April 2014
    Question:

dwightmc wrote: »
    Yes, if you aren't able to draw something you can use any way you can to give us an idea of what the costume would look like. All i would suggest, if you use real world pictures, is to put them together in such a way so we can visualize the entire costume set. That way your entry is more likely to be considered, and this is only because we are looking to create an entire costume set in-game not just single pieces.

Hope this helps,

Dwight

In other words...

I got this. My submission is already done.
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    facebook voting is too exploitable, how doo you even know the votes come from players,also people can buy likes on facebook, it would be better that voting could be ingame or through arc, $10 can buy you 100,000 likes on facebook, or you can have all your friends or family vote for you, becomes a popularity contest, not about the content.
    edited April 2014
    I do want to say thanks. I don't care if mine wins or not, it shows you're listening to the playerbase and that means a lot.

I still don't forgive you for this vehicles thing, but we can sit on the couch together now, Cryptic. Don't touch me though, I'm not ready yet.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Regarding the Glow Aura:
    Besides now being able to restrict the glow to just certain parts of the body, how does this new Glow Aura differ from the glow provided by the Legacy Kinetic Manipulation Aura?

I've been using the KM aura wonderfully as a generic "glow" effect on several heroes of mine.

Does anyone have pictures/video of the new Glow Aura?
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think it's time to finish making the last few Facebook pages to my 50+ characters.
    :cool:

Oh and, MORE TIGHTS!!!
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Regarding the Glow Aura:
    Besides now being able to restrict the glow to just certain parts of the body, how does this new Glow Aura differ from the glow provided by the Legacy Kinetic Manipulation Aura?

I've been using the KM aura wonderfully as a generic "glow" effect on several heroes of mine.

I love using the KMA on any hero that does not seem to need a specific trait aura since it seems a lot like Personal Force Field Technology and a nice extra layer of Super Science to protect my heroes as they charges in to battle.

I have not purchased the Glow Aura, yet, but when/if I do I'll post some pics. It would definitely look good on - Spaaaaaaaaaaaaacehaaaaaaaaaaawk! <
    or whatever his name is ;-)
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    this is awesome...and please!!! whoever adds a entry, try to have a piece for every tailoring section. That way we can for sure have a bunch of new pieces.

I know im gonna take out the old etch and sketch and whip up something!!
    edited April 2014
    this is awesome...and please!!! whoever adds a entry, try to have a piece for every tailoring section. That way we can for sure have a bunch of new pieces.

Honestly, with mine, I can't pull it off. Mine is a 'over the clothes' costume and weapons.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hold on

will the WInner's costume be a Z-store costume item or ingame drop?
    Regarding the Glow Aura:

Exactly my Thoughts

This Glow aura looks SUSPICIOUS like a copy of Kinetic Manipulation judging from the Photos
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited April 2014
    Honestly, with mine, I can't pull it off. Mine is a 'over the clothes' costume and weapons.

Funny that when i started coming up with my design i was like, "dang...i dont have a back piece or weapon now" I wonder if we can do mulitple entries, need to re-read the rules again.
    edited April 2014
    Funny that when i started coming up with my design i was like, "dang...i dont have a back piece or weapon now" I wonder if we can do mulitple entries, need to re-read the rules again.

Part of me wants to ask if they'd consider 'Voltroning' two peoples' ideas together if they jived just right...

Which, I'd totally be cool with.
    edited April 2014
    Part of me wants to ask if they'd consider 'Voltroning' two peoples' ideas together if they jived just right...

Which, I'd totally be cool with.

fusion_o_798460.gif

too bad 2nd and 3rd place couldn't be an added costume as well....here i am getting all greedy!
  • tazytazy Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For the love of god, if someone adds boots, make sure it's high enough to connect to leg accessories. And/or give alien themes a love.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dwightmc wrote: »
    Learn about the upcoming costume design contest: http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/champions-online/detail/3040693-design-a-costume_-we_ll-put-it-in_game_

we'll have an official costume design thread created just before the contest period begins, so keep an eye out for that.

Thanks!

Dwight

Congratulations to spordelia in advance.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

edited April 2014
    Also, I'm going to place this where you can see it.

Yesterday, on Fort Hood- the base I am stationed at, 3 Soldiers lost their lives in a shooting. A potentially psychologically disturbed individual took their lives and wounded others, and turned his weapon on himself. Debate politics somewhere else, I want to make a proposal.

One of those killed was a friend of my roommate's, and he is grieving. Fortunately, I started my vacation yesterday and was off the installation before the shooting took place. This is the SECOND shooting event at Fort Hood, and I can't imagine the trauma and grief this has brought on others.

Let's have another contest where the cash equivalent of Zen is donated to the Wounded Warrior Project. Or perhaps as players, let's come up with a charity event/contest. I'm not sure how to do this, but while I know we can't give back lives and limbs, I'd like to do something like this for our wounded. Not only that, but I'd be willing to do it for other charities as well.
  • dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Let's have another contest where the cash equivalent of Zen is donated to the Wounded Warrior Project. Or perhaps as players, let's come up with a charity event/contest. I'm not sure how to do this, but while I know we can't give back lives and limbs, I'd like to do something like this for our wounded. Not only that, but I'd be willing to do it for other charities as well.

I would pitch in for this.

If we...figured out how to do it.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My condolences to the people involved. I hope they have someone to talk to , to help them deal with it as best they can. And hopefully, if anyone else is feeling like that, they will be spotted and helped beforehand.

I was thinking of an in store item, that instead of getting an item. the money gets routed to a charity.
    yes, PWE/cryptic doesn't get anything, except maybe thank yous from the recipients. Goodwill is an asset on a balance sheet.
    I consider money spent on making others fell better, always well spent.
    :redface: my idea for the costume contest was a...um .. fig leaf set.

spring/summer not a problem, autumn/winter... thats another matter
    It was not a good day at work today
    I have a lever arch file of designs from when I did a fashion design course, unfortunately most of them are single items, not sets. Also they are all for females, though a lot could be adjusted for males.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm just gonna put this out there, someone come up with the first outfit to give girls the same glowing skin effect male character's have.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tfavsb10 wrote: »
    I'm just gonna put this out there, someone come up with the first outfit to give girls the same glowing skin effect male character's have.

no thanks, we bathe. that glow is from the luminescent bacteria growing on the males skin from not bathing enough
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why make something that allready exists....
    Someone just needs to get up and enable the function. It's not like anything superprogramming needed, just click the Glow option On.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • viceadmiralblackviceadmiralblack Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just a question about the costume contest. I plan on submitting some work for the contest but there aren't many guidelines. I understand it's to allow us freedom of creativity which is great, I'm just wondering if the devs are looking for an individual costume set, or a costume pack?

I consider a costume set to be a themed set that all fits together, where as a pack is more individual parts with a theme. A good example would be Epic Samurai VS Wild Things. Both have a theme, while one is a complete set, the other is a pack of parts that don't necessarily all fit together.

I have so many ideas I want to put into a good pack because then it fits a broader theme, but it may be too much and needs to be focused on a singular themed costume set. :frown:

Just a bit of guidance would be great for this excited artist.

In the meanwhile, I do look forward to all the amazing ideas that will come out of this! :biggrin:
  • mindgladiatormindgladiator Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I see a bit bad the costume contest, cause they want players be a participants and be a judges too. I think is more neutral if they are the judges.
  • nicey102nicey102 Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is going to be awesome, I can't wait. Does anyone know were to the thread for the costume contest is or if they made one yet?

P.S. PLEASE let the costume include a sleeveless trench coat this could be the only chance
  • theghosthacktheghosthack Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It should be up by now, but I don't see it anywhere :-/

so much for having it up "before the contest begins" :p
    edited April 2014
    It's fine by me, I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to do still. I have some ideas, but I am still trying to choose the theme for the costume I'm designing. :biggrin:

EDIT: I am also designing for male, female and a couple unisex pieces too.
    edited April 2014
    It's fine by me, I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to do still. I have some ideas, but I am still trying to choose the theme for the costume I'm designing. :biggrin:

EDIT: I am also designing for male, female and a couple unisex pieces too.

Which reminds me..... this isn't a "enter as often as you want" type thing, is it?

The post doesnt explicitly say, but I just assumed that it was a "one costume set per contestant" type deal....
  • needlessreaper88needlessreaper88 Posts: 37
    edited April 2014
    Created 2 Different costumes with distinct characteristics. But... Where do I post them? Have they made an individual Thread yet?
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited April 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    hey dwight, I totally suck at 3d modeling but I'm awesome with LEGOs, I have a computer program I can build stuff with legos on, could I submit my pistol models made from LEGO bricks?

LEGO would work, yep. The goal is to have something visual that we can use as inspiration, in any form - doesn't need to be modeled.

jasinblaze wrote: »
    facebook voting is too exploitable, how doo you even know the votes come from players,also people can buy likes on facebook, it would be better that voting could be ingame or through arc, $10 can buy you 100,000 likes on facebook, or you can have all your friends or family vote for you, becomes a popularity contest, not about the content.

We'll be doing quality control by choosing the 5 finalists -- we'll make sure that all 5 are good ideas that we know we can deliver on, then let players choose from those.

It's worth noting that the ideas submitted will be used as inspiration. That gives us the freedom to tweak ideas to match programming needs. We're not exactly asking for a list of pieces and what categories they'd go into. :P

That said, if someone made a tail a key part of the set... :biggrin:

avianos wrote: »
    will the WInner's costume be a Z-store costume item or ingame drop?

Z-Store is the plan.

Multiple entries are fine. The more creativity, the better.

All things serve the Beam.

Just a question about the costume contest. I plan on submitting some work for the contest but there aren't many guidelines. I understand it's to allow us freedom of creativity which is great, I'm just wondering if the devs are looking for an individual costume set, or a costume pack?

We're open to interesting ideas, but the plan is one costume set.

so much for having it up "before the contest begins" :p

Most of us get into the office at 10! :P
    edited April 2014
    Most of us get into the office at 10! :P

SPOILED! :P

for some of us who aren't as hip to the lingo... what's the difference between a "costume set" and a "costume pack"?
  • rubberlimbsrubberlimbs Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just wondering, let's say we're making a costume that needs a reskin of a weapon or travel power, would it be allowed? By travel power reskin, I mean like Phoenix Flight and Shadow wing Flight or the ninja and ninja leaf things, not like a whole new everything like with the katana and axes both being reskins
    edited April 2014
    For some of us who aren't as hip to the lingo... what's the difference between a "costume set" and a "costume pack"?

As in my previous post, a "costume set" would be like the Epic Samurai, a suit of ornate samurai armor. Where a "costume pack" would be more like Wild Things, a bunch of beast heads and a pair of bear hands.

One is a set that all forms together, the other is several pieces that don't necessarily form a whole. Hope that makes sense. :smile:
  • grengrasgrengras Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    (( If the admins feel that this idea is acceptable please no one steal it from me. I'm posting this here for feedback from them, not so that someone else can steal my concepts. :s ))

I have a couple of questions please if any admins / mods for this contest are available...

I have a costume theme idea but I am not sure if it is feasible coding wise and whether the rules would consider it a single costume set or multiple and thus barred from the contest.

My idea is to have a single uniform set called something like "The Mood Swing Set". In it would only be a couple items. A Full Head Mask, Tights for the Chest, Tights for the Legs, Gloves, Boots. Possibly some other accessories such as capes, belts, weapons, bracers, leg accessories, hip accessories, tails, etc. Each item by itself will look kind of bland when worn by itself. The 'magic' comes when enough pieces from the set are worn at once.

But the key would be that how they look would depend on what 'mood' the player had set. If they set the 'angry' mood those clothes would be morphed to look like one thing, if they chose 'happy' it would morph to look like a completely different thing. Etc. I've got some ideas of how to make the costumes 'fit' the moods without coming into conflict with already active costume pieces / sets.

So my questions are as follows...

First question is would this set I am conceiving be eligible for this contest, or would it be considered multiple sets not a single costume?

Second question is whether the coding required to make a clothes set change appearances based on the mood is even doable.

Third question, contingent on if this is even eligible and the coding is entirely possible, would it be further possible to make this set only change appearances if X number of pieces from the set were worn? Like let us suppose that I came up with 9 different possible parts to the set and made it so that in order to have 'any' of the costume pieces change appearance then a person needed to be wearing at least 6 of those pieces, but it didn't matter which 6. Could that be done?

Thank you for your time administrators or moderators, even if the answer to my question is that this concept will not be workable. ^^
  • grengrasgrengras Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I do not normally double post, but I would really like an answer to my questions. I apologize but I need to know whether to go ahead with this set or to come up with something else instead for the contest.

This lack of information is putting me in a terrible position of not knowing where to put my efforts. Time is wasting and the deadline is approaching and I have already waited several days without any kind of a response. :s
    edited April 2014
    just do it, and then do your "back up"

let THEM decide whether it's doable or not..... you can post as often as you like, so just put your mind down on paper, so to speak.
  • novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What if like your costume is Super Interesting! But really hard to make? (but possible)

Will it be rejected? Cuz for all I know, CO has perhaps the best costume-creation skills & technology I have ever seen!

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • rithienrithien Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    How did Spordelia's submission not even warrant a finalist slot? It seems rather unfair that 2 of someone's ideas made it; it makes the whole thing seem biased.
    edited April 2014
    rithien wrote: »
    How did Spordelia's submission not even warrant a finalist slot? It seems rather unfair that 2 of someone's ideas made it; it makes the whole thing seem biased.

I personally like it, but to be honest I can see how some folks would say 'I log in to CO to play at being something unrealistic, if I wanted to wear casual clothes and be fashionable I'd go into the real world'.

That being said, I think her hairstyles at least should have been considered in the future.