test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Recharge on limited trout and ping pong guns

kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
I've noticed that there doesn't' seem to be any sort of recharge or cooldown debuff on these particular devices and that they're being used as a form of trolling seeing as you can fire these off nonstop. Is there any chance of adding a small cooldown debuff to the character similar to Bionic Shielding to prevent this sort of abuse?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited March 2014
    ^This.
    Needs to be fixed. It is certainly not WAI.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There is a cooldown on perma Pingpong Gun, people just figured a way to get around it...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Maybe all ping-pong and trout devices, permanent or not, sholud be put on longer shared cooldown?

That will do the trick.

They may not be causing any damage, but they can be used on anything and anyone, for example - for locking other players into animation as long, as you have patience to click the device.

It's an oversight and should be fixed once and for good.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I kinda like the idea of a short shared cooldown between the devices, like the water balloons and snowballs.
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited March 2014
    No, why you want to nerf even fun tools?

i like the new foxbat gun =)

even with high int its still like 4 seconds recharge... so... its okay
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »

Because I can take mine, find you and spam it at you while you are trying to talk to someone until I'm bored.
    With all my device slots filled with it.
    And I'm not easily bored...

Let's see if it will be still fun as hell?

Well, in abovementioned example situation - it will be certainly fun for me. :biggrin:

Now it's easier to understand?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Because I can take mine, find you and spam it at you while you are trying to talk to someone until I'm bored.
    With all my device slots filled with it.
    And I'm not easily bored...

Let's see if it will be still fun as hell?

Well, in abovementioned example situation - it will be certainly fun for me. :biggrin:

Now it's easier to understand?

heh we did this yesterday we shot eachother for hours with the new guns, combined with old devices this gave us alot of shts and giggles :D
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Don't get me wrong. I love the new devices, but after seeing this stuff first hand, I can see this sort of stuff to be a real pain in the **** to people who are trying to roleplay or just trying to stand for a costume contest. The constant slapping/shooting can get really annoying.
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Considering that I got to have the joy of trying to RP while r9xchaos did exactly what people are saying could happen to me and a couple friends, not really surprised they're against the idea of a nerf being put on them. Every complaint, request that they stop, and threat to petition them was responded to with, "It's part of the event" as if griefing and trolling other players is outright suggested and encouraged by the developers.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    And that's why we need shared cooldown on devices.
    Because some players aren't mature enough to be given devices without limitations.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    arimikami wrote: »
    Considering that I got to have the joy of trying to RP while r9xchaos did exactly what people are saying could happen to me and a couple friends, not really surprised they're against the idea of a nerf being put on them. Every complaint, request that they stop, and threat to petition them was responded to with, "It's part of the event" as if griefing and trolling other players is outright suggested and encouraged by the developers.

Hey i was doing the event , runnign around with a Foxbat gun in a foxbat costume saying:

Iiiiits FOXTHBAT Time !!!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hey i was doing the event , runnign around with a Foxbat gun in a foxbat costume saying:

So, it's part of the event to screw with my pose in a CC and then run up and slap me repeatedly when I go to get my prize?
    genie-derp-face-300x219.jpg

Yeah, I don't buy it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    kemmicals wrote: »
    So, it's part of the event to screw with my pose in a CC and then run up and slap me repeatedly when I go to get my prize?
    genie-derp-face-300x219.jpg

Yeah, I don't buy it.

wasent me :D
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited March 2014

There are enough people who are willing participants, there is no need to deliberately go around to annoy people. Continuing that behavior against a certain person or group for longer peroid of time is harassment, which is against the TOS.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    aiqa wrote: »
    There are enough people who are willing participants, there is no need to deliberately go around to annoy people.

I suspect unwilling participants drop more amusement tokens.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    aiqa wrote: »
    There are enough people who are willing participants, there is no need to deliberately go around to annoy people. Continuing that behavior against a certain person or group for longer peroid of time is harassment, which is against the TOS.

whats the sense in spanking people with a fish if they like it?

a prank is not a prank if you have to ask the people to do so...
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah they need a shared cool down for sure. The snowballs and water balloons are on one so I see no issue with making the foxbat stuff on the same level.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I support this idea.

And before this thread turns into another heated debate about trolling roleplayers, I'd like to remind everyone that r9xchaos has a different definition of the term "harassment" than most people here.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    scorpagor wrote: »
    And before this thread turns into another heated debate about trolling roleplayers, I'd like to remind everyone that r9xchaos has a different definition of the term "harassment" than most people here.

Lemme just put that in bold so people know that from the get go.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    well i would just limit the devices to be used outside...

just give them a longer cooldown while you are in club caprice or theatre...

but leave them as they are in open world pls
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    All devices and powers- to include travel powers- should be inert in Club Caprice.

You can say that the security staff has cutting edge power/device nullifier augmentations and devices.
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    whats the sense in spanking people with a fish if they like it?

a prank is not a prank if you have to ask the people to do so...

Might want to stop and consider that the next time you're in Caprice and crying to RPers about none of the RPers wanting to RP with you then.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've noticed that there doesn't' seem to be any sort of recharge or cooldown debuff on these particular devices and that they're being used as a form of trolling seeing as you can fire these off nonstop. Is there any chance of adding a small cooldown debuff to the character similar to Bionic Shielding to prevent this sort of abuse?

WOW, you think they would have tested these things before letting the moronic masses play with them. GG Cryptic..GG.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,091 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    I really like the lack of cooldown, it's hella fun to rapid fire these devices on friends (there's been a bit of a war with some of my friends, sneaking up and bombarding them with ping pobngs/trouts). They're limited in use, so I don't quite see the issue with these as they will eventually run out.

The purple quality ones cannot be rapid fired.
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kaizerin wrote: »
    I really like the lack of cooldown, it's hella fun to rapid fire these devices on friends (there's been a bit of a war with some of my friends, sneaking up and bombarding them with ping pobngs/trouts). They're limited in use, so I don't quite see the issue with these as they will eventually run out.

I have no friends, and yet everyone fires these things at me. It's one thing to be poked everyday...but this....this is slowly diminishing my sanity -_-
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Yeah... It is kinda fun. Still, its potential trolling purposes worry me.
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,091 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    A lot of stuff has the potential for trolling. The event will pass and the guns in circulation will diminish. It's supposed to be a goofy event, let people have some fun.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xcaligax wrote: »
    I have no friends, and yet everyone fires these things at me. It's one thing to be poked everyday...but this....this is slowly diminishing my sanity -_-

*sneaks up on Caliga and machine guns ping pongs at him* MUAHAHHAHAHAHA.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    arimikami wrote: »
    Might want to stop and consider that the next time you're in Caprice and crying to RPers about none of the RPers wanting to RP with you then.

No idea wtchu smoke but okay =)
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    NEW GAME!!! :biggrin: :wink:

Earlier, I spotted someone getting fragged for more than twenty (clip size?) rapid fire shots. Sounded more like 100. How could you even do that?

And, really, why would you do that?

I spent the afternoon farming and I might have ended up with 60 or so at the end. I don't think I'd want to use them all up in 6 seconds.

Then again, if I spotted Offender just standing in the RenCen... :wink:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    xcaligax is pop-arazzi shy:

Such is the price of fame. :cool:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    A lot of stuff has the potential for trolling. The event will pass and the guns in circulation will diminish. It's supposed to be a goofy event, let people have some fun.

So... after a week or so of farming, I'm just supposed to wait until supplies diminish? I guess I can't go to the club and expect a decent RP session until people stop getting their kicks out of pegging me with ping pong balls and knocking me out of my stances. That's dandy.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    So... after a week or so of farming, I'm just supposed to wait until supplies diminish? I guess I can't go to the club and expect a decent RP session until people stop getting their kicks out of pegging me with ping pong balls and knocking me out of my stances. That's dandy.

one thing is superdance loop its stop waterballoon from putting you in silly pose i think
  • Options
    jadetorajadetora Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Given exactly what these devices do and HOW they do it, We're beginning to wonder if this is poor implementation by Cryptic or whether Cryptic intentionally did it to see the reaction from certain players when the devices were inevitably utilized for trolling.

Honestly can you say that you genuinely believe with how other devices in the past had been used to the same ends that Cryptic couldn't have figured out ahead of time exactly how these devices would be used by many players in the Community?

Yeah, it leads us to think maybe the biggest trolls in the game are Cryptic themselves.

In which case honestly, We find it kind of amusing personally.
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jadetora wrote: »
    Given exactly what these devices do and HOW they do it, We're beginning to wonder if this is poor implementation by Cryptic or whether Cryptic intentionally did it to see the reaction from certain players when the devices were inevitably utilized for trolling.

Honestly can you say that you genuinely believe with how other devices in the past had been used to the same ends that Cryptic couldn't have figured out ahead of time exactly how these devices would be used by many players in the Community?

Yeah, it leads us to think maybe the biggest trolls in the game are Cryptic themselves.

In which case honestly, We find it kind of amusing personally.

Hanlon's razor says:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    scorpagor wrote: »
    Hanlon's razor says:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I think this lines go to explain the number of people actually offended by this harmless device and calling it trolling. This seriously demonstrates how truly immature our player base is at times. People would have a point if it did something like caused damage, or spawned level 50 monsters on top of you, or if they were dragging GMs to Ren Center to ruin your day.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    prankensteinprankenstein Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited March 2014

1. The perma-device cooldown was nerfed because with MSA, the pingpong gun worked as a better energy builder than the one provided at level 1.

2. Devices are unaffected by CDR.

3. PWE has no issue with nerfing 'fun' devices.
    ~~~The Tidal Tilde Wave of Seperation~~~
    I'd rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it. -Buxom
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I think I just came up with a good idea for Caligas and his "not friends." Let's have them save all of their ammo for the last day of the FBCon. Then they can find Caliga in his usual place i.e. the RenCen near the PH, form a circular firing squad (the only time its not a dumb idea is in an MMO), do a count down and fire until you run out of ammo.

If you guys really decide to do this, make sure someone does a video cap. EVERYONE is going to want to see it. Heck, I bet if it were done right, we could sell tee shirts. It could become our games version of a Celebrity Dunk Tank.

This time it's Caliga, next time it will be Offender (Actually, I can easily imagine a batch of Brigade pelting Offender since both are a Smackwell creation), after that Brou or Nepht or Slappefish, who needs to be slapped by a fish (or a frying pan).

Hmm... Or the game could be as simple as anyone that is standing behind the FB podium, on the RenCen stage, at the top of every hour, IS the celebrity target.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I think this lines go to explain the number of people actually offended by this harmless device and calling it trolling. This seriously demonstrates how truly immature our player base is at times. People would have a point if it did something like caused damage, or spawned level 50 monsters on top of you, or if they were dragging GMs to Ren Center to ruin your day.

I really have no problem if they're thwacking me every so often just for the funsies. I do have a problem if they're doing it constantly whenever a person comes into a certain distance of them or when the person catches the other's eye. There's a clear difference between harmless fun and mindless pestering.
  • Options
    chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Did the Pingpong gun really need to have the same cooldown as water balloons and Snowballs? Couldn't it just be a static 2 second cooldown, unaffected by CD Reduc?
    edited March 2014

I have to agree with this one. These devices are harmless people.. HARMLESS. It does no damage and serves it's purpose as a prank. Honestly, I've been hit with it a few times.. and you know what I did. I fired back! A few moments of silly ping-ponging and the incident was over.

But this hardly a game breaking issue - by any stretch of the imagination.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    gemini2099gemini2099 Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you like to roleplay I can see how this would be annoying.
    Gemini - Lvl 4x - Soldier
    Omicron - Lvl 4x - Mind
    Emerald Myst - Lvl 2x - Claws/Fighting Hybrid
    Epsilon - Lvl 2x - Blade
    Asterius - Lvl 1x - Electric/Void Hybrid

• Options
    edited March 2014
    gemini2099 wrote: »
    If you like to roleplay I can see how this would be annoying.

I like to RP and this still doesn't bug me. It's injecting fun, no ones RP is that serious that they can't have some outside stimuli.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I like to RP and this still doesn't bug me. It's injecting fun, no ones RP is that serious that they can't have some outside stimuli.

I never said I wanted them removed altogether. Just a small cooldown period on the limited versions of the devices. 4-5 seconds isn't going to hurt people that much.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I never said I wanted them removed altogether. Just a small cooldown period on the limited versions of the devices. 4-5 seconds isn't going to hurt people that much.

No and machine gun fire isn't going to hurt people either. It's seriously not causing any problems. This is such a non-issue it's literally trying to create a problem that doesn't exist. Removing fun from the game is not a smart thing to do.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No and machine gun fire isn't going to hurt people either. It's seriously not causing any problems. This is such a non-issue it's literally trying to create a problem that doesn't exist. Removing fun from the game is not a smart thing to do.

Well, in social instances? No powers or devices should work. At all. Period.

Because when people are blatantly harassing others with power and device spamming (not using for chuckles, I like the ping pong guns, they're fun)... that defines 'taking fun out of the game'.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

You're acting like puting that cooldown on them would somehow break them entirely. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal and I'm not sure why you're making it seem like the worst thing possible.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    You're acting like puting that cooldown on them would somehow break them entirely. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal and I'm not sure why you're making it seem like the worst thing possible.

Machine gunning them is the fun part, so yes putting the CD timer would break the fun. And I don't even use the things and I certainly don't care when people run up and start firing them at me. It's not even remotely close to game breaking and the only way I would agree with a change is if a dev actually said it's causing undo stress on the server. Otherwise, decrying a fun device needs to be changed because all you will do is make people just start using it on you slower is just attempting to remove the fun from a game that doesn't need it removed.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't think you guys understand how trolling RPG works, see there are these things called emotes, and something like a ping pong gun disrupts these emotes. So let's say you're over at club caprice sitting on a bar stool, someone shoots you with a ping pong gun and now you're standing on the bar stool. It tends to break immersion.

Personally I don't really care, troll me all you want, but some people take that sort of thing very seriously and I sympathize with them. As we might expect, people doing the trolling have no interest in RP and are there solely to ruin other people's fun.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They should set it so if the target is in your team there's no cool down so the power spammers can be happy and if the target isn't in your team you get a cooldown everyone else is happy.

The only ones left out are those who get their jollies spamming non-consentual targets.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.