test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Universe: Unique Character Origins

bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Costumes and Concepts
The Champions Universe, being inspired by the major mainstream comics companies, embraces the full range of classic super character origins you see in those comics: mutagenic accidents, genetic mutation, radical scientific inventions, mystic martial arts, aliens, spellcasting sorcery, gods and supernatural creatures, cosmic entities, etc. However, there are a number of origin concepts, described in the Champions Pen and Paper books, that IMHO are pretty original and distinctive to the setting. I thought it might be helpful to the community if I outlined a few of my favorite unique origins here, which someone might find useful for their own Player Characters.

Coruscations of Power: In the worldwide accidental cataclysm which devastated the alien planet Ashraal centuries ago, and gave birth to the awesome cosmic villain Xarriel, discreet bursts of energy from the main explosion were cast across space and time, emerging in random locations in the space-time continuum. To date at least five of these "coruscations of power" have appeared on or near the Earth in recent years, and affected humans in their vicinity, creating the supervillains Photon, Stareye, Sunspot, and Vector, and the superhero Victory.

The coruscations can manifest as bursts of light from space, but in the past have been mistaken for solar flares or lightning storms. Powers induced by them can, but not must, include various forms of energy projection, flight (usually very fast), mind-affecting abilities, enhanced physical strength, speed, and durability, and the ability to survive in hostile environments (even space).

Xarriel is fully detailed in Champions Beyond, while the other villains mentioned are in the Champions Villains trilogy, and Victory in Champions Universe.

Department 17: Since World War II, the United States government has researched ways to safely and reliably create superhumans, as well as to more effectively control them, with few successes. Their efforts have often resulted in severe, even fatal physical and mental side effects to their subjects, and produced as many supervillains as superheroes. During WW II the US military set up the Haynesville Project for this purpose, at Fort McLaughlin (now McLaughlin Air Force Base) near the small town of Haynesville, Kansas. After the war the Project was declassified and officially shut down, and McLaughlin AFB appears nearly abandoned today.

This was a ruse. The Haynesville Project was never shut down. Still secretly based at McLaughlin, what is now titled Department 17 is the Defense Department's hub for research into superpower generation and superhuman control. Under its current director, General Clarence Smith, it conducts a wide variety of research involving drugs and chemicals, radiation treatments, genetic engineering, and other exotic methods. Much of the Department's current research focuses on refining the Cyberline procedure used for PRIMUS's Avenger program. The Department's scientists are also very interested in investigating any reports of new manifestations of superpowers.

General Smith might go to great lengths to keep 17's existence and activities secret. He's also used some "creative" accounting to keep his department funded. Department 17 is described on Champions Universe p. 138.

Empyrean Heritage: For hundreds of thousands of years, the immortal superhuman offshoot of humanity called Empyreans have existed alongside their human cousins. While they maintain their own city of Arcadia in Antarctica, hidden from human discovery by advanced devices, the majority of Empyreans choose to live incognito among humanity. The general population is ignorant of their existence; only a few superheroes have been trusted with the secret, although the Lemurians know of Arcadia and have been enemies of the Empyreans for many millennia. A few Empyreans have acted as superheroes or villains in the modern era.

Empyreans sometimes have children by humans, who are always either normal humans or full Empyreans. These children may grow up unaware of their true heritage; but the Empyreans' leaders scan the world for any new Empyrean offspring, and when they discover one induct him or her into their society. But individual Empyreans can follow whatever activities they like, provided they don't reveal their race's existence to mankind.

All Empyreans are ageless, physically superhuman to a greater or lesser extent, and can fly. They can manifest a wide range of mental or energy powers, although the type and degree varies based on innate ability and the interest a given Empyrean has in developing specific powers, usually related to their preferred pastimes. The Empyreans and Arcadia are extensively described in Hidden Lands.

Hzeel Biomatter: Champions Earth has experienced several alien invasions in the past, and of course is currently dealing with renewed intrusions by the Gadroon and Qularr. What no one on Earth knows yet, is that another aggressive species, the Hzeel, also have the Earth in their sights. These short, blue-skinned humanoids have scouted Earth for nearly two decades, wanting it as an advance staging area in their war against the Dorvalans (Ironclad's race).

At least two Hzeel scout craft have crashed on Earth and been discovered by humans. One of these was salvaged by Roger Warwell, aka the Warlord, and its technology became the basis for his own weapon designs. Hzeel technology is partly biological, and can have radical unpredictable effects when it comes in contact with human tissue. Two humans, the solo supervillain Howler, and the Warlord's minion Warcry, gained superhuman vocal powers when Hzeel communications devices were implanted in their throats (this happening spontaneously on contact in the case of Howler).

The effect also extends to tissues from Hzeel themselves; VIPER's staff supervillain Oculon gained his powerful eyebeams from eyes from an Hzeel corpse transplanted to his sockets. (Hzeel don't have eyebeams, they're the result of interaction between the two species' biologies.) Anyone using recognizable Hzeel materials would undoubtedly be of interest to both the Hzeel and the Warlord.

The Hzeel have a whole chapter in Champions Beyond. The other villains mentioned are in the Champions Villains trilogy, except Oculon who's written up in VIPER: Coils Of The Serpent.

Kelvarite: This mysterious, green-glowing extraterrestrial mineral has been found in meteorites from several falls. It's a powerful source of energy, but is extremely unstable and prone to explosion when disturbed. Some people who have been bombarded by radiation or fragments from exploding kelvarite have gained superhuman powers, typically (but not exclusively) superhuman strength and durability, and some type of enhanced movement capability, e.g. super-running or -leaping, flight, or teleportation. They also acquire a susceptibility to radiation from other samples of kelvarite. Known superhumans with this origin include the solo villains Tachyon and Thunderbolt II, Dr. Destroyer's servant Meteor (all in the CV trilogy), and the African superhero Gazelle (in Champions Worldwide).

Large organizations such as the US government and UNTIL have secured all the kelvarite they can find, but sometimes lend samples to research laboratories. Other kelvarite meteorites remain to be discovered. However, what no one is aware of is that what they call kelvarite is actually impure samples, which is why it's unstable. Pure kelvarite doesn't resemble the impure mineral, and is extremely rare on Earth. Its energies respond to the will of intelligent beings in physical contact with it, allowing them to wield formidable energy-projection powers. (It isn't obvious that the power comes from the kelvarite itself.) The only pure kelvarite discovered so far was made into rings worn by the three men who have used the superheroic identity, Meteor Man.

Project Sunburst: In 1994 a group of American "rogue generals" assigned over 200 volunteer soldiers to what they were told was a war game. In fact the generals were experimenting to try to create superpowered soldiers resistant to radiation, by detonating a nuclear device near them while they wore protective suits. Most of the volunteers soon died of radiation poisoning, while a handful slipped into comas. Most of the comatose were placed into a secret holding facility, codenamed "The Crypt," while a few were stored at other sites.

In the intervening years, several of these survivors have developed superhuman physical and energy powers. A few, such as the master villain Sunburst and his follower Radium, awakened spontaneously. Others, like Dr. Destroyer's security chief, Gigaton, were aroused with help from other villains. Some escaped the Crypt on their own, while others were "liberated." All the active survivors except Gigaton and the powered-armor villain, Armadillo, have joined Sunburst. However, the remaining comatose subjects are still being kept in secret in the Crypt, not just from the public but from the generals' own superiors.

All of these villains are fully written up in the Champions Villains trilogy.

The Swords of Nama: During the Dark Ages the serpent-god Nama, who is today the patron deity of VIPER, set out to become a great power among Men. He gathered six mighty warriors from across Eurasia to be his agents and generals, to conquer an empire in his name. For each warrior he forged a powerful enchanted sword. But before they could achieve any major successes the warriors quarreled, which ultimately led to all their deaths. The Swords of Nama were scattered. Over the intervening centuries some of these legendary swords reappeared, and a few were destroyed; but others remain to be discovered in ruins across Eastern Europe.

The story of the six "vipers upon the land" appears as a small part of the history of Nama and VIPER, on p. 6 of the book, VIPER: Coils Of The Serpent. Aside from being called "serpent-blades" the Swords of Nama aren't described, nor are any of their qualities defined, which leaves a player free to imbue a particular sword with any powers desired. Note that Nama is neither good nor evil, and has helped heroes or villains as the mood struck him; so there's no inherent reason for his Swords to be one or the other.

Teleios, the Perfect Man: Many people who have only encountered Teleios during play in Champions Online may think of him just as a cloner of people, and a creator of animalistic monsters. While he certainly does such things, the range of his genetic expertise goes far beyond that. More than half a dozen official supers, villainous and heroic, owe their powers or very existence to The Perfect Man.

Teleios has the skill to induce almost any super power in any human, whether or not that person already has powers or the potential for them. Teleios will do this for pay, or in exchange for services or favors, as he did for the supervillain-turned-hero Flashover (Champions Universe: News Of The World), and her brother, the villain Hurricane (Champions Villains Vol. 3: Solo Villains). Teleios has been known to bestow powers on someone on a whim, whether or not they want them, like after a dalliance with the Indian woman now known as Monsoon (Champions Worldwide).

The Perfect Man can grow completely original, humanoid or human-looking superhumans with any abilities he chooses. He sometimes sells his creations, as when he supplied VIPER with the powerful monster named Obelisque (Champions Worldwide). Sometimes Teleios turns a creation loose in the world uncontrolled (although not unmonitored), to see how it responds and develops. He did this with the beings labeled the Landsman, and the Lodge (both in Champions Of The North).

The master geneticist can program his creations with whatever skills he or his employer desires. He can even implant elaborate false memories, to the point where the person has no idea he or she is artificial or has any connection to the Perfect Man. This is how Teleios programs the cloned soldiers he sells to other villains and groups. The superheroine called the Teen Dream (Teen Champions), whom Teleios designed as an experiment in social manipulation, is unaware of her real origin and considers herself a true hero. When he makes a creature Teleios implants controlling genes that make it psychologically impossible for that creature to harm him, or may even make it a loyal follower. Those controls can be so subtle that a person isn't consciously aware of them. Although the lore doesn't specify it, it would be reasonable to assume Teleios does this to humans he augments.

Teleios is fully written up in Champions Villains Vol. 1: Master Villains.

The Zodiac Working: In 1979 the late master villain Archimago, greatest sorceror of the Twentieth Century, attempted this fearsome ritual, to impregnate twelve women by twelve powerful demons. The resulting hybrid children could be used by the demons as hosts to incarnate themselves on Earth with all their power. The ritual was interrupted and the women rescued by the superhero team, the Fabulous Five. The women seemed unharmed and weren't pregnant, so returned home.

Two years later one of these women married and gave birth to a girl who later manifested powers of destructive energy, as well as a propensity for rage and vandalism. She grew up to become the supervillain Frag (fully written up in CV Vol. 3). She has no knowledge of her true origins, thinking herself a mutant. Although she usually appears human, when enraged her form becomes more demonic-looking.

Another of these women gave birth to a son, who now acts as the superhero Pagan (described in the book The Ultimate Mystic). In his superhero identity (resembling a satyr) he's physically superhuman and can project powerful mystic light. Pagan discovered his true heritage when his demonic father Belial attempted to seduce him to his service. Although his diabolical inclinations are strong, Pagan's inherent decency has so far won out.

To date nothing has been revealed about the other ten victims of the Zodiac Working.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The above is actually the first post from a thread I started some time ago on the "Champions Pen and Paper RPG" sub-forum. A number of our fellow forumites indicated they found those origin concepts helpful in developing their own PCs or NPC villains; but many Champions Online players don't frequent the PnP sub, so parties who might be interested may not be aware of these lore items. I received permission from Biff Smackwell to repost this topic to this sub-forum, where hopefully more players can see and benefit from it.

Questions, comments, and contributions are of course welcome. :smile:
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Awesome! Some origins really inspired me to write the bios for some of my heroes that lack them.

Ty very much!

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'll let The Doctor explain how I feel about this...
    -
    11th-Doctor-bowtiesarecool.jpg
    -
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is really cool stuff. Thanks for taking the time to post it, and if you have more ideas for character origins from Champions lore, I and I'm sure many others would love to hear it.
    edited March 2014
    oniganon wrote: »
    This is really cool stuff. Thanks for taking the time to post it, and if you have more ideas for character origins from Champions lore, I and I'm sure many others would love to hear it.

Thanks to you and your thread predecessors for your kind words. :redface:

I included the origins I did in my first post because they all have broad applicability and don't require a particularly exotic background story to justify a character having one. The Champs Uni is remarkably diverse and deep, with many elements which could be springboards for characters; but many of them come with a pretty specific history.

When I've offered input in the past it's usually been on a case-by-case basis, when I knew of lore applicable to an issue a poster wanted to know more about. In that spirit, should anyone have a concept that they'd like to develop from or fit into the official setting, I and I'm sure other lore-savvy folks would be glad to offer whatever help we can. :smile:
  • baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Great information, and wonderful to see some of the pnp origins listed here as well.

As I said on the previous thread, one of my characters was going to use Project Sunburst as her origin. Well, I decided to share the little write up I did for her. Any criticism or corrections would be appreciated.

INFERNAL

Known Alias: Infernia, Red, Blaze
    Species: Human
    Height: 6'
    Nationality: American
    Marital Status: Single
    Identity: SECRET

In 1994, U.S. Army private Carol D. Wilson volunteered to take part in Project Sunburst, what she believed to be nothing more than a complex war game. In actuality, Sunburst was an experiment designed to test one's resistance to nuclear weapons and determine what effects such exposure would have on the human body.

Subject to an actual nuclear blast, most of the volunteers died in short order; Wilson instead lapsed into a coma, one of only a handful of survivors, and rather than sickening as a result of the exposure her body slowly came to harness and control "Nuclear Fire".

Her coma lasted till 2010, when she finally regained consciousness, finding that she had barely aged and now had superpowers. The Army did not wanted her to leave, but using her powers she escaped, and is determined to bring those responsible for Project Sunburst to justice.

Powers:

She can project blasts of "nuclear fire", and can also use the energy to make her body more durable or to rapidly heal most wounds.

Notes:

Her aging stopped while she was in the coma and resumed normally after she woke up, so her body is 28 years old.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'd already been aware of Project Sunburst from the 3rd ed rulebook and I think "Enemies II" - it was either the first or second villain volume that featured a couple more bad guys from there. I did use it as the origin of Broken Arrow, who spend two decades as a pattern of energy before Dr. Howser at Greenskin Base managed to figure out what he was and house him in an experimental radsuit.

However, bulgarex's original posting did give me the true origin of Hypernova, of which the character himself is as yet unaware. He became stronger, less vulnerable, and able to fly (Behemoth AT, with Power Flight) after being exposed to a strange light in the night sky; he took his name because he thought it was the last light of an extraordinarily powerful variety of exploding star. In fact, he was exposed to a Coruscation of Power. (The fun part is that the toon predated the posting, which is why he doesn't know what happened to him.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2014
    Great information, and wonderful to see some of the pnp origins listed here as well.

I should clarify that all of the information I listed on this thread is as per the most recent available sources from the PnP game, which either don't contradict what Cryptic Studios has done in CO, or were cleared by Cryptic for publication. There are a very few differing details between the two versions of the setting, much of which derive from the different priorities of a PnP game and a MMO; otherwise the two line up very closely.

As I said on the previous thread, one of my characters was going to use Project Sunburst as her origin. Well, I decided to share the little write up I did for her. Any criticism or corrections would be appreciated.

Looks reasonable to me. While you have probably thought of and dealt with this, for general consumption I'll just underscore that the generals behind the Sunburst test are covering up what happened from not just the public, but their own superiors. They would undoubtedly want to neutralize a "security threat" like Infernia. In fact I should probably make that point clearer in the PS entry.
    edited March 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'd already been aware of Project Sunburst from the 3rd ed rulebook and I think "Enemies II" - it was either the first or second villain volume that featured a couple more bad guys from there. I did use it as the origin of Broken Arrow, who spend two decades as a pattern of energy before Dr. Howser at Greenskin Base managed to figure out what he was and house him in an experimental radsuit.

I believe Sunburst and Radium were indeed in Enemies II, which dates back to 1982 IIRC. They and the Project are among the oldest elements in the IP. The villain Armadillo is one of the original enemies from the first edition of Champions in 1981, but his connection to Project Sunburst was a later retcon. Gigaton dates from 1990 or '91, while the other official PS villains were created for the setting in 2007.
    jonsills wrote: »
    However, bulgarex's original posting did give me the true origin of Hypernova, of which the character himself is as yet unaware. He became stronger, less vulnerable, and able to fly (Behemoth AT, with Power Flight) after being exposed to a strange light in the night sky; he took his name because he thought it was the last light of an extraordinarily powerful variety of exploding star. In fact, he was exposed to a Coruscation of Power. (The fun part is that the toon predated the posting, which is why he doesn't know what happened to him.)

Again, for general consumption: One thing I wasn't happy about regarding the PnP write-up for Xarriel, is that it gives him no specific lesser-powered servants. Xarriel's personal power lies somewhere between Thanos and Galactus, so fighting him directly would be suicide for less than whole teams of the most powerful heroes.

Although it's not taken directly from the lore, in the past I've suggested it would be logical for Xarriel to be searching for beings bearing one of his Coruscations of Power, to either recruit them into his service or kill them and reclaim his power for implantation in a more loyal follower. Should Xarriel detect the appearance of Coruscations on Earth he might send an empowered minion to investigate. That would be one route to a nemesis and an ongoing conflict for a character with this origin.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Again, for general consumption: One thing I wasn't happy about regarding the PnP write-up for Xarriel, is that it gives him no specific lesser-powered servants. Xarriel's personal power lies somewhere between Thanos and Galactus, so fighting him directly would be suicide for less than whole teams of the most powerful heroes.

Although it's not taken directly from the lore, in the past I've suggested it would be logical for Xarriel to be searching for beings bearing one of his Coruscastions of Power, to either recruit them into his service or kill them and reclaim his power for implantation in a more loyal follower. Should Xarriel detect the appearance of Coruscations on Earth he might send an empowered minion to investigate. That would be one route to a nemesis and an ongoing conflict for a character with this origin.
    And thank you again. Hypernova is almost lvl 25, and now I have a seed for his Nem! :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2014
    There's another feature of a Project Sunburst origin that can be fun to roleplay. The master villain who now calls himself Sunburst believes that all the superhumans resulting from the Project are naturally destined to be his followers. When he encounters one he'll try to persuade them to join him, and Sunburst is very persuasive and charismatic. As a person who was exploited by members of the government, he claims to want to save other people from being similarly exploited. He talks a really good game about ending government corruption, fighting hunger and poverty, preserving the environment, and the like. He's always among the first supervillains to volunteer his services to help with natural disasters or alien invasions. His public reputation is actually pretty positive for an official criminal.

Sunburst has convinced himself that he genuinely believes in these things; but deep down what he really wants is power over others, and if he got it he would probably become a worse tyrant than anyone he claims to oppose now. His actions often reflect that more than his words. For example, if a product of Project Sunburst won't join him willingly, he'll try to coerce them.