test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Character Costumes Through the Comic Ages

emeraldtitanemeraldtitan Posts: 6 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Costumes and Concepts
Something I've found incredibly fun and creatively satisfying lately is the practice of creating costumes for my character based on different eras of comics and the styles that are associated with them.

Here's an older image of my main in Silver Age, Modern Age and Future Age versions:

EmeraldTitanCostumes.png

Emerald Titan Through Time

I've got an updated Silver Age, a Golden Age and an "alternate universe" (Think Marvel Ultimates) style that I'd like to get screenshots of as well.

Anyone else do this?
Post edited by emeraldtitan on

Comments

• cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have for characters whose lifespans have spanned centuries, but nothing I love.

Emerald Titan's modern age costume is fantastic!
    I have for characters whose lifespans have spanned centuries, but nothing I love.

Emerald Titan's modern age costume is fantastic!

Thanks :) I was actually admiring your avatar in another thread, I'd love to see the full version :)
  • emeraldtitanemeraldtitan Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ok, here's an updated version with the Golden Age version and the Alternate Reality version. The Silver Age has been updated a bit too.

EmeraldTitanCostumes.jpg

Updated Emerald Titan Costumes

The "Modern" version is my main costume that I wear 80-90% of the time, definitely my favorite.

The character was originally created before MMO's and when CoH came around I rebuilt him as best I could, actually managed to improve the costume design.

EmeraldTitan6.jpg

And then improved the design again when I adapted him for Champions.
  • robothenrirobothenri Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Emerald Titan is a great character! Each costume is perfect for the era, good work. I'm particularly liking the modern age and also the alt universe costumes. I love concepts like this and yep, have done it to a point with some of my characters too.

Doc. Britain (aka British Hero) was a character I brought over from CoH, but haven't played him for a while and his costumes kind of stalled at Silver Age. You've inspired me to at least design modern, future and alternative costumes for him now, and maybe start playing him again :).

Here are his Pulp Age, Golden Age and Silver Age costumes.

DocBritain002.jpg

He was originally a Radiation/Dual Pistols/Speedster Defender in CoH, the idea being his ability was to control peoples metabolisms, hence the slow/hold/weaken debuffs and also his own superspeed, and as a side effect, he had extreme long life which spanned the era's. Then when I thought about it logically, if he's constantly superspeeding himself, he'd have a drastically shorter life compared to others... plus I got bored of the Defender AT, so rebooted him just before CoH closed. Read the story here :)

british_hero___re_booted_by_henri_1-d57k3t3.jpg

When I recreated him in CO, I just ignored the logic and went back to the era spanning costumes... hey, it's science fiction :)

My stuff at deviantart
    edited March 2014
    Awesome!

Yeah, Titan has regenerative abilities, so I've been playing with the idea that he could be as old as the Golden Age.

The Alternate Universe one is definitely a nod to the "Ultimate" Marvel comics.
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Those are genius ideas as well as looks! I'm tempted to try something similar with one of my characters now! Thanks for sharing a wonderful idea ^.^
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    Those are genius ideas as well as looks! I'm tempted to try something similar with one of my characters now! Thanks for sharing a wonderful idea ^.^

and a very good reference for when people host CCs and people ask what Gold and silver age is...i have to admit sometimes i forget what "Age" i am making.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ok, here's an updated version...
    Those are some great pictures! I love playing around in the Costume creator. Maybe I'll take some time to make generations of some my characters. If I do I'll post a link.

(BTW, Modern and Future are my favs, but Golden is so well done too!)
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The pugnacious purple pugilist best known as Punch Man has a few costumes that are meant to achieve this effect.

Here are the classis and modern versions!
    zkjs6x.jpg
    edited March 2014
    jerax1011 wrote: »

Glad I could help :) If you do make some, come back and post some pictures!
    Those are some great pictures! I love playing around in the Costume creator. Maybe I'll take some time to make generations of some my characters. If I do I'll post a link.

(BTW, Modern and Future are my favs, but Golden is so well done too!)

Thanks! Modern and Future definitely get worn the most, in that order. If I had to list them by personal preference it would be Modern, Future, Alternate, Golden, Silver. Thematically, I love the golden age one, but I rarely wear it.
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    The pugnacious purple pugilist best known as Punch Man has a few costumes that are meant to achieve this effect.

Here are the classis and modern versions!
    zkjs6x.jpg

Outstanding! I love it. Good choice of colors too.
  • robothenrirobothenri Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hi again, so inspired by this concept I did actually go away and design new versions for Doc. Britain, although I'm not convinced I can stick with his current power set so may well completely rebuild him. Anyway, thought i'd post up the costumes.

So top row there's the original 3 costumes, Pulp Era, Golden Age and Silver Age which i'm kind of setting in 30 year jumps, so 1920's, 1950's, 1980's.

Then for the new costumes there's Modern Age (aka Liefeld Age), Future Age, and Alternate Universe, which would be 2010's, 2040's, and... erm, the Alternaties :).

In the Alternate Universe, Doc. Britain is actually from a race of Galaxy travelling adventurers of the planet Bri-Tain... yeah... sorry.

DocBritain006.jpg

Hope you like :)

My stuff at deviantart
    edited March 2014
    robothenri wrote: »
    Hi again, so inspired by this concept I did actually go away and design new versions for Doc. Britain, although I'm not convinced I can stick with his current power set so may well completely rebuild him. Anyway, thought i'd post up the costumes.

So top row there's the original 3 costumes, Pulp Era, Golden Age and Silver Age which i'm kind of setting in 30 year jumps, so 1920's, 1950's, 1980's.

Then for the new costumes there's Modern Age (aka Liefeld Age), Future Age, and Alternate Universe, which would be 2010's, 2040's, and... erm, the Alternaties :).

In the Alternate Universe, Doc. Britain is actually from a race of Galaxy travelling adventurers of the planet Bri-Tain... yeah... sorry.

DocBritain006.jpg

Hope you like :)

Awesome!

Bri-Tain, haha, love it.

I definitely dig the "Modern" era version, you managed to evoke the Union Jack without actually using it, and the subdued lower half is well done.