test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any Word on Return of the Wiki?

jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
Title says it all. Any word on if/when the wiki will return?
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ignengiignengi Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thank you for asking about this. I've been watching and waiting as well. It is very frustrating to not have the wiki anymore.
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 663 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Web archive atleast still works

http://web.archive.org/web/20131120001804/http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/

and the very old one here, but still good for finding stuff like locations

http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/Champions_Online_Wiki
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yep. I do use the archive, but it's going to become increasingly out of date and you can't search it. :frown:

http://web.archive.org/web/20131120001804/http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/

and the very old one here, but still good for finding stuff like locations

http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/Champions_Online_Wiki
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • ignengiignengi Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Not entirely and is a poor substitute for a professional and commercial product. I'm thankful that Archive.org does have a copy, however page load times are slow and often time out.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Would sure love to have the Wiki back. :redface:
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic's still sitting on it? I'm not surprised. I knew this would happen, that's why I kept suggesting that a new one be made.
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic's still sitting on it? I'm not surprised. I knew this would happen, that's why I kept suggesting that a new one be made.

As far as we know currently it's less Cryptic sitting on it and more Lohr holding onto a few things they still need.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • dantheiceman1dantheiceman1 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Title says it all. Any word on if/when the wiki will return?

we'll probably never see it again, they can't even do simple stuff on this game let alone a website someone else made
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=124755
    The Nemesis system needs fixing and here's ideas:
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Perhaps we would have better luck if people took interest in updating the CO Wikia site?
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2014
    kallethen wrote: »
    Perhaps we would have better luck if people took interest in updating the CO Wikia site?

Well, in the words of Captain Picard, make it so. It's clearly one of the only options at this point.
  • hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kallethen wrote: »

No. Sorry, but wikia's ad system is a gigantic malware cannon.
    I don't recommend ANYONE using Wikia to host a wiki.
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Just a wild thought*, why not have the PRIMUS Database be a backup wiki? Or the new wiki? There are already a few pages to the main heroes and villains in the CO universe, it has potential a wiki created by the community along side the many heroes and villains that we have created ourselves into the lore.

*Don't have to agree. Was curious to how others would take to this idea.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That may be/probably is true but at this point I see few options available other than that.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Heh, I forgot about the ads. I use Adblock and Ghostery...
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As far as we know currently it's less Cryptic sitting on it and more Lohr holding onto a few things they still need.

Oh wow...
    Lohr wrote:
    As of yet, I have not yet provided the files to Cryptic. I fully plan on it, so long as no one from the player base is getting stuck hosting it as I don't think someone else other than devs should (I'm pretty sure they have the server space). Hell, I'd consider turning it back on if the devs paid for it.

And we all know how much PWE just loves investing money in Champions Online, except not. :rolleyes: So basically the gest of what I'm getting here is that until PWE wants to grow this game by investing in it like they did for Star Trek Online, no wiki. That's a bummer... Maybe there's somebody else out there who's be willing to host? Maybe a way for us all to download files from a free site? I dunno. The files grow more outdated at time passes too, the point of a wiki medium is for it to be edited by the masses, a collectively-made knowledge resource.

I can confirm this. The only time ever got a rootkit virus, it came from Wikia. That was a pain to get rid of, had to use Linux to kill the virus actually.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Lohr has done more than enough to help the community. Cryptic has maintained that they care about CO.

An official wiki and a dedicated community rep would go far in restoring faith. Both funded by Cryptic. The sad part is most games have such yet we don't, and we won't get any decent company representation until some changes are made.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Heck, if Cryptic just set up a wiki space and selected a few unpaid wiki managers from the customer base, they'd be ahead.

But I suspect this will be one of those 'if we do it, it has to be done RIGHT. but we never get around to having the time to do it.'
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • psytce0002psytce0002 Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm going to miss the wiki ..... I say this because this post has been up for a few days and there is no comment at all from Cryptic ....
    I believe they would comment on this if they had any interest at all in hosting the Wiki and the silence is deafening.....

Sorry but I think we have seen the last of the wiki, but I hope I'm wrong ......
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I wonder how much PWE would have to pay Lohr to have her turn the site back on? What's the monthly/annual server cost? At least in the sort term that would solve the problem while PWE figures out how to host the files themselves.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well here is the catch-22. While what Lohr may have done was noble, though she was a bit anal about who could help, Cryptic did not twist her arm to make the wiki nor did they request she keep it up constantly. While some companies might make their own wiki, fans who make them make them at their own expense, time and effort. The person has to decide they love doing it or not, and should never expect a company to go out of their way to help them with it. Many people have seemingly taken that just because she willingly spent her own money Cryptic owes her something, and sadly, that just isn't the case.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Does anyone have any idea how much Lohr spent to host the wiki? I don't mean to know to pry into her personal expenses, I just have no idea ... Are we talking $10/mo, $100/mo, $1000/year? What sort of ballpark are we aiming at?

Maybe we could do some kind of Kickstarter (or other crowdsource) program to raise the funds to get the wiki hosted again.

Thoughts?
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
    edited March 2014
    You know guys, if you just keep sitting around posting about the fate of a wiki that isn't coming back, you'll never have a new wiki. It's clear that you have several options at this point:

1) Update the Wikia site (in all of its Malware roulette glory).

2) Create a completely new wiki on a more reputable wiki site.

3) Add game information to the PRIMUS Database wiki.

4) Continue to sit around moping and not get anything done.

So which is it?
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You know guys, if you just keep sitting around posting about the fate of a wiki that isn't coming back, you'll never have a new wiki. It's clear that you have several options at this point:

1) Update the Wikia site (in all of its Malware roulette glory).

2) Create a completely new wiki on a more reputable wiki site.

3) Add game information to the PRIMUS Database wiki.

4) Continue to sit around moping and not get anything done.

So which is it?

Well said.

inb4 someone trying to be clever responds with a "you first" or "thanks for volunteering" post
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    I wonder how much PWE would have to pay Lohr to have her turn the site back on? What's the monthly/annual server cost? At least in the sort term that would solve the problem while PWE figures out how to host the files themselves.

The Wiki isn't so big (nor would it be so active) that it'd require a dedicated host.
    Just about any bulk host could handle it.

1&1 Unlimited

Dreamhost Shared Hosting

Pretty much anyone on this list.

And some of the plans allow you to pay for multiple years of service up front, lowering your price further.

It's not that hard, and relatively inexpensive. The one thing Lohr is forgetting is that nobody maintains a Wiki because they like maintaining a wiki (those that do, or claim to do are mental defectives and moral degenerates). You do it because you see a need for the wiki's presence, even if you're absorbing the cost of it yourself.

Expecting to hand it off to a third party "because they've got the space for it" is just...well...wrongheaded.

SHOULD CO have a wiki itself? Probably.

Also, one thing that the closure of CoH (and the guys at CoHTitan) taught me.
    What if the game closes and PWE is maintaining it?
    All that data (and the blood, sweat and tears necessary to generate it) just goes *POOF*? Regardless of whether or not someone feels like maintaining it for nostalgia's sake?
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic is a third party? What?

I don't know what kind of BS Lohr had to put up with when running the wiki, so I'm not going to pretend that she's wrong in not wanting this to be dumped on someone else. And what is so terrible about expecting a company to support information dealing with their own game?
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited March 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    And what is so terrible about expecting a company to support information dealing with their own game?

It won't get done.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    CO is still in the 'Need To Know' base and we, don't need to know. If you know what i mean.
    /taps nose
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's not that hard, and relatively inexpensive. The one thing Lohr is forgetting is that nobody maintains a Wiki because they like maintaining a wiki (those that do, or claim to do are mental defectives and moral degenerates). You do it because you see a need for the wiki's presence, even if you're absorbing the cost of it yourself.

That's such an easy thing to say when you're not the one who has been absorbing the costs amounted in the duration that the wiki was up.

It's no one's moral obligation to maintain the wiki. It's purely voluntary.
  • dantheiceman1dantheiceman1 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And what is so terrible about expecting a company to support information dealing with their own game?

thats an easy one

as textbook incompetent management would say "host a wiki? that costs too much money."

money that is better leeched off and given to star trek and never winter. both of which make more money then champions online....

because you know... champions online doesn't have a big enough player base to warrant a wiki
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=124755
    The Nemesis system needs fixing and here's ideas:
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Like STO and NW Foundry, there isn't a clear ROI for a wiki, so moneysuits refuse to back it.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thats an easy one

as textbook incompetent management would say "host a wiki? that costs too much money."

money that is better leeched off and given to star trek and never winter. both of which make more money then champions online....

because you know... champions online doesn't have a big enough player base to warrant a wiki

Neither STO nor Neverwinter have a wiki maintained by PWE either. They are maintained by or neglected by the fans of those games.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just because my expectations are unrealistic doesn't mean it's terrible to have them. Yes, I think game companies should pay to host wikis for their games even if they are maintained by customers. I have standards.

Dear Cryptic / PWI:

Set up a space with media wiki on YOUR servers and let the customers maintain it. Set up community admins from the players and let them run things.

This is flat out a challenge to show that you can do one small thing for your loyal fans. I expect an answer and "we can't do this" is unacceptable.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited March 2014
    Just because my expectations are unrealistic doesn't mean it's terrible to have them. Yes, I think game companies should pay to host wikis for their games even if they are maintained by customers. I have standards.

Companies would only do such a thing if they figured out a way to make money off of it. Your standards are extremely unrealistic. There's only one RPG company I can think of that did provide its own Wiki; it made the obscure, short-lived tabletop game Alpha Omega (although its viral marketing--Ethan Haas Was Right--got mixed up with Cloverfield's viral marketing), and it's not around anymore.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Companies would only do such a thing if they figured out a way to make money off of it. Your standards are extremely unrealistic. There's only one RPG company I can think of that did provide its own Wiki; it made the obscure, short-lived tabletop game Alpha Omega (although its viral marketing--Ethan Haas Was Right--got mixed up with Cloverfield's viral marketing), and it's not around anymore.

I believe that ANet runs the official GW2 wiki.

Do you think that advertising revenue, to offset the costs involved, would be sufficient (assuming a game with a decent population) ?

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Dear Cryptic / PWI:

Set up a space with media wiki on YOUR servers and let the customers maintain it. Set up community admins from the players and let them run things.

This is flat out a challenge to show that you can do one small thing for your loyal fans. I expect an answer and "we can't do this" is unacceptable.

This.

It'd be a goodfaith sign they want to support the game. Someone is gonna challenge my use of the word earn but gdammit we have earned it.

Also ty Lohr
    edited March 2014
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Do you think that advertising revenue, to offset the costs involved, would be sufficient (assuming a game with a decent population) ?

Possibly, but I doubt CO has such a population.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Think never.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The very least Cryptic could do is to pay for hosting of the wiki and let it be community-managed. If they don't want to bother creating one and with updating it then I'm sure there are more than enough volunteers happy and passionate enough about this game to do so.
    edited March 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    The very least Cryptic could do is to pay for hosting of the wiki

I don't think that will ever happen.