test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playing around with Powerhouse. Would this build work?

godhandxiiigodhandxiii Posts: 62 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Builds and Roles
PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Unleashed
Level 6: Agile
Level 9: Finesse
Level 12: Coordinated
Level 15: Intimidating
Level 18: Brilliant
Level 21: Diplomatic

Powers:
Level 1: Rain of Steel
Level 1: Blade Tempest (Rank 2, Crashing Crescendo)
Level 6: Form of the Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Parry (Rank 2, The Elusive Monk)
Level 14: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares, Nailed to the Ground)
Level 20: Ebon Ruin (Nyctophobia)
Level 23: Masterful Dodge (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Spirit Reverberation
Level 29: Iniquity (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Skarn's Bane
Level 35: Redemption
Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Teleportation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Acrobatics

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Dexterity: Evasion (1/2)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (1/3)
Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Elusive (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Arbiter: Enforcer (3/3)
Arbiter: Ruthless (2/2)
Arbiter: Rend (2/2)
Arbiter: Enhanced Gear (3/3)
Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)
---

Intended to be a jack-of-all-trades with a theme based on an original character I've had in mind since I was a kid.

- Main source of damage would be Blade Tempest crits, I think.
- Ebon Ruin for Ao killing and ranged damage.
- Void Shift for reducing enemy damage output and stopping fliers.
- Parry for augmenting late blocks, and additional semi-passive survivability.
- Skarn's Bane for removing buffs. But does this work on Gravitar? Would cut off her damage a bit if that Energy Form's off.
- Iniquity for healing others. Would the advantage work better than R3? I feel that 50ft's too short of a range, though.
- BCR for survivability and recovering from Iniquity and Rebirth.
- Additional energy gains through Void Shift's fear + Ebon Ruin DoT.

Ignoring player ability, would this build be enough to fill in any role? At least in non-Rampage alerts?

I'm guessing the damage output would be much lower because of Parry's advantage and the upkeep of BCR. But I'm hoping the crits would overcome that.
Post edited by godhandxiii on

Comments

• oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Would it work?

Not really.

Perhaps you should tell us exactly what the theme of this character is supposed to be, and what you want to achieve with the build.
  • godhandxiiigodhandxiii Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why wouldn't it? You make it seem like the character would just blow up the second it steps into an alert with that kind of response.

Well, the theme's supposed to be a character whose primary method of fighting's through twin swords and agility, while using something similar to blood magic to complement that and support his allies.

Thinking about it, the role's I guess closer to utility than actual jack-of-all-trades. It's not supposed to main-<role> anything. If someone needs healing, it can throw a few out. If a mob decides to go after the healer, it could peel it off.

And it's not meant for PvP, by the way.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If the theme is a character that fights with twin swords, you might want to reconsider leaving out the two top performing dual blades attacks (Dragon's Wrath and Sword Cyclone).

Also you might want to consider switching from Spirit Reverb to Molecular Self Assembly. With INT SS and Void Shift to proc it MSA is likely to be the better option.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited March 2014
    It's not going to spontaneously combust or anything.

But your chosen energy unlock doesn't really match the attacks you're using, nor your Superstats (Spirit Reverb scales on Con). The attacks are of different damage type and several are not ranked. The Form is ranked, which is pretty unnecessary. You have both Elusive Monk and BCR lowering your damage, but you don't have the RR advantage or a lot of dodge/avoid stacking elsewhere in the build. And you lack any self healing beyond BCR.

These swords, do they have to be physical? Could Ego blades work?

Are you set on there being two of them? Would single blade or heavy weapon attacks work at all?

Any more detail on the background of this blood magic stuff?

Is Iniquity in there as a thematic blood magic life exchange kind of thing, or are you not really attached to it?
  • blueionstormzblueionstormz Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If by a "jack-of-all-trade" build, you mean a character that could be effective in attacking at melee, range, healing and rezzing others, here's a toon slightly modified from Wimpazoid's Ms. Miracle that may fit your description.

Name: Liwanag na Anghel

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Matter Manipulator
    Level 6: Acrobat
    Level 9: Shooter
    Level 12: Healthy Mind
    Level 15: Wordly
    Level 18: Quick Recovery
    Level 21: Enduring

Powers:
    Level 1: Kinetic Darts
    Level 1: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Siphoning Strikes)
    Level 6: Ego Reverberation
    Level 8: Seraphim (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Mental Discipline (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Telekinetic Burst (Rank 2, Sudden Impact)
    Level 17: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 20: Telekinetic Lance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Empathic Healing (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Masterful Dodge
    Level 32: Ascension
    Level 35: Redemption (Salvation)
    Level 38: Ego Blade Frenzy (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Superspeed
    Level 35: Jet Pack

Specializations:
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (2/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (2/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (2/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
    Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)
    "Reason can get you to probability, but only commitment can get you to certainty." - Timothy Keller
    Archived CO Wiki site
    edited March 2014
    ashensnow wrote: »
    <snip>
    Honestly, I want to have a combo as a main ability. Was actually considering Dragon's Wrath, as I love it on my current Unleashed main, with its Rush buff and burst.

Sword Cyclone, on the other hand, well, I don't like spinning like a top.

While MSA, even though it's pretty much the best unlock, I knowingly skipped over because I felt it doesn't fit well thematically, being a Gadgets power and all. Noone else would know nor care of breaking theme, but I would.

So... yeah, aesthetics and theme.
    oniganon wrote: »
    <snip>
    Now, I prefer this post over your previous one. Actually points out the faults rather than a three-liner that just kept me guessing. Now, let's see...

Can't the AoPM buff overcome the lack of a Con Superstat for Spirit Reverb?

What's wrong with different damage types? And I opted to not rank the abilities that I thought would only be used for utility rather than outright dealing damage. Although, additional damage is still additional damage, even for a utility power.

Tempest does have an additional proc chance while ranked, which is a step up compared to ranking other Forms. Then again, this will be moot once the stacks are full. Thanks for mentioning this, this frees up some advantage points.

I chose BCR:R3 over RR so that it would still have an enhanced effect even if I'm not getting attacked frequently. Do you have any suggestions what I can move around for additional dodge/avoidance? I can see taking off Combat Training since Crashing Crescendo would mean a lot of crits anyway. I'm not really sure in replacing AoPM for a dodge passive, as I'm hoping it would cover up shortcomings in other stats while bolstering main ones.

I originally had Lifedrain in there that was switched out for Skarn's Bane for buff removal. If Skarn's Bane is not that effective on weakening buffed NPCs (Ao and Gravi come to mind), then I'll swap itl back in.

Yes, the swords are physical, and comes in a pair. I see an additional survivability option in Ego Weaponry + Siphoning Strike, but won't fit.

Hm. I guess the character's magical abilities pretty much comes down to using blood as a catalyst, or manipulating it to do different stuff. Some abilities I had attached to him are applying one's blood to heal another's wounds, transmuting it into a projectile, causing burns through coming in contact with the user's blood, and some minor hallucinations and puppeteer stuff.

The Dragon Age series of games has lore for Blood Magic that's close to my vision of it, minus the whole demon-worship thing. The game's actually where I got the term Blood Magic. Before that, I didn't have a name to describe the character's abilities with.

And yes, I'm attached to Iniquity mainly because of its sacrifice-like mechanic, which fits my theme. It also seems to be a quick long range heal. Based on description and numbers on the wiki, anyway. And I know that spamming it will be an issue, though, especially at times when I won't be able to afford having less health.
    <snip>
    Apologies, but I'm not really looking for another person's build, no matter how effective it is. I'm looking to recreate my fantasy character using CO's system, while making it work (which I'm failing to right now, it seems).

Also, nitpicking but I'm curious: did you really intend to name it as "A Light that is an Angel" rather than "Angel's Light"? Just jumped at me, that's all.

EDIT: Scratch that, Devour Essence doesn't fit.
    edited March 2014
    Alright, so you're looking to make a DPSer with some survivability through dodging, some healing with Iniquity, some group aura support, some magic, and physical dual blade attacks. And you don't want Sword Cyclone. And you don't want to use MSA for thematic reasons even though it has no graphical effect.

Gee you don't want to make this easy, huh? :P

Alright...

Name: Daywalker

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

-Dex for crit, severity, Brush It Off, and the Severity/Avoidance in the Mastery.
    -Rec to power Compassion, and just because it's handy to start every fight with a full blue bar
    -Con to power Spirit Revern and give you a decent health buffer for survivability and use of Iniquity

Talents:
    Level 1: The Mind
    Level 6: Finesse
    Level 9: Lasting Impression
    Level 12: Paramilitary Training
    Level 15: Shrug It Off
    Level 18: Impressive Physique
    Level 21: Prodigy

- Stacking Pre in the talents so you can get a bit of bonus healing without wasting an armor/enhancement mod slot on Pre.
    -Enough Strength that you can hit 70 with one mod. Almost enough for the same in Ego if you want to do that too.

Powers:
    Level 1: Rain of Steel
    Level 1: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Parry (The Elusive Monk)
    Level 8: Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Blade Beyond the Veil)

-Night Warrior because it boosts all damage types at all ranges, as well as ignores a bit of defense and slightly improves charging time on DW/Ruin.
    -Parry for a bit of dodge bonus while you attack
    -I chose EotS here because as a spherical AoE it's so much easier to use and kill groups with than Blade Tempest, and has a bit of extra survivability built in. But you can use Blade Tempest here if you really want.

Level 11: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
    Level 14: Dragon's Wrath (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Spirit Reverberation
    Level 20: Ebon Ruin (Rank 2, Nyctophobia, Paranormal Paranoia)

-Void Shift applies the Fear, a tap of Ebon Ruin applies Trauma, paranormal resist debuff and a Dimensional DoT to power Spirit Reverb
    -Dragon's Wrath for a powerful single target attack
    -Ebon Ruin can be used as a long range attack or alpha strike, though the need to lunge to apply fear makes doing so a bit tricky

Level 23: Compassion
    Level 26: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Vampiric Sympathy)
    Level 29: Iniquity (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 35: Evasive Maneuvers (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Redemption

-With Compassion and Sentinel Aura, stacks are easily maintained during combat and you get a steady stream of energy and healing.
    -With BCR you get another HoT, with extra healing ticks on every dodge
    -With NW, Elusive Monk, EM and Brush It Off, you should be able to get a decent dodge rating going. Use an Avoidance pdef with a dodge mod.
    -With Sentinel Aura, BCR and SS Con, using Iniquity shouldn't be too much a problem. But just in case...
    -Lifedrain is there for when you need more healing. Also great for healing tightly packed groups of allies.
    -Redemption because a rez is becoming somewhat mandatory now, with the Rampages and Custom Alerts.

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Athletics
    Level 35: Teleportation

-Chose these based on the 'agility/blood magic' idea. You can choose whatever though.

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Sentinel: Eternal Spring (2/2)
    Sentinel: Caregiver (2/3)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

-Sentinel Aura to passively give health to yourself and the team. This covers the 'group support aura' requirement without having to use a Passive slot on it.
    -Most of the attacks that will hit you in group content will be AoEs (because the tank should be receiving the single target hits). Brush It Off and Elusive helps you survive AoE.
    -Best Defense, because an extra 200ish Offense is good stuff.
  • bshue1bshue1 Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What's wrong with different damage types?

Spirit Reverb only works if you hit the mob with paranormal damage. If you are slashing him w/ your sword, then you will not receive energy, and you will have to use your energy builder. If you are hitting him with the dark attacks, why did you get the sword attacks?
  • bravehoptoadbravehoptoad Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bshue1 wrote: »
    Spirit Reverb only works if you hit the mob with paranormal damage. If you are slashing him w/ your sword, then you will not receive energy, and you will have to use your energy builder. If you are hitting him with the dark attacks, why did you get the sword attacks?

I don't think it's any paranormal...I think it's just dimensional damage (unless the wiki is wrong.)

There IS some synergy between Spirit Reverb and melee attacks, but it comes in the Unarmed tree with Thousand Fists and Dragon Uppercut.
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There IS some synergy between Spirit Reverb and melee attacks, but it comes in the Unarmed tree with Thousand Fists and Dragon Uppercut.

And Burning Chi Fist, whose advantage also gives a 50% chance of granting dimensional damage to all other melee attacks on a full charge. Opening with this would give his sword attacks a chance to fuel Spirit Reverb as well.
    edited March 2014
    Burning Chi Fist actually has a Dimensional DoT by default, so it fuels Spirit Reverb even without the advantage.

Considered putting BCF in the build, but decided the DoT on Ebon Ruin sort of made it redundant for this purpose.

And the reason why mixing damage types is a bad idea is because:
    -Passives are usually limited on what damage types they boost (Physical melee + Dimensional ranged left only Night Warrior, Quarry, Ego Form and AoED)
    -resist debuffs are usually similarly limited to particular groups of damage types (eg Ebon Ruin only debuffs Paranormal)
    -in the case of a Physical + Non-Physical mix, you can't use the Cyber/Samurai questionite secondaries to boost damage to all your attacks.
  • blueionstormzblueionstormz Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Apologies, but I'm not really looking for another person's build, no matter how effective it is. I'm looking to recreate my fantasy character using CO's system, while making it work (which I'm failing to right now, it seems).

Also, nitpicking but I'm curious: did you really intend to name it as "A Light that is an Angel" rather than "Angel's Light"? Just jumped at me, that's all.

No problem, it was just a suggestion. I understand what you mean, I also tried transferring an old hero I had with Marvel's FASERIP system to CO. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll eventually be able to make an approximation of your hero here. Ah, the name was suppose to be Bright Angel or Angel of Light but I guess it didn't translate well.
    "Reason can get you to probability, but only commitment can get you to certainty." - Timothy Keller
    Archived CO Wiki site
    edited March 2014
    oniganon wrote: »
    <snip>

Yeah, I'm kinda hard to deal with in some circumstances. I'm really sorry about that.

But thinking about it, I guess I can fit in MSA, thinking he's using the magic to re-assemble himself in a molecular level. Or something like that.

Now, after looking at the build you've provided, I've got some more questions:

- Is there a way for me to keep AoPM? I honestly don't actually care much for the aura part. It's just the bonuses mean that I have to worry less about increasing other stats and just focus on SS. I'm thinking of switching to Int primary to increase its value. I'm also curious if it has the same stat looping effect that the Agressive Stance+The Best Defense combo has.

- Why R3 on Dragon's Wrath? Wouldn't Tiger's Courage have an increased effect? I'm expecting this character would at least have 25-ish % to crit, getting to the 30% cap with better gear, so wouldn't that have better numbers? My math could be wrong, though, I can't remember much when I compared R3 to TC on my Unleashed, I know that I did end up choosing TC.

- That said, how much would it suffer if I traded Dragon's Wrath for Masterful Dodge? It'll lose a lot of burst, I know that. Would the occasional additional survivability not be worth it?

- If I do make a switch to MSA, will I need to drop Void Shift's fear? The debuff fits with the character, and it's damage reduction would still be kinda useful without the energy return, and then there's the bonus to Vampiric Sympathy.

<snip>

Ah. In that case it would be "Anghel ng Liwanag" (Angel of Light) or "Anghel na Maliwanag" || "Maliwanag na Anghel" (Bright Angel).

But we're getting off-topic here.