test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Very Sad News

canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
Aaron Allston, author of STRIKE FORCE, LANDS of MYSTERY, and more fine Hero System sourcebooks than I can count, as well as some of the best Star Wars novels, passed away tonight.

The loss is devastating.
/CanadaBanner4.jpg
Post edited by canadascott on

Comments

• billprattbillpratt Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Aaron Allston, author of STRIKE FORCE, LANDS of MYSTERY, and more fine Hero System sourcebooks than I can count, as well as some of the best Star Wars novels, passed away tonight.

The loss is devastating.
    Damn shame. Been incorporating his works and ideas into campaigns in various genre for 30 years.
  • logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Aaron Allston wrote the Wraith Squadron Star Wars novels.

Also a couple of novels which I always hoped there'd be a sequel to - Doc Sidhe and Sidhe Devil.

He was also an incredibly prolific game supplement writer. If you've ever played ANYTHING from Hero Games, then you have Aaron to thank for much of the flavor text, advice on RP and how to construct a good Superhero RPG scenario. He was also prominent in some other games that I can't think of at the moment.

I'm feeling as gutpunched over this as I was over John M. Ford's passing. I met Aaron a couple of times at Dallas cons. And he was the hoopiest of froods.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Allen Varney has written a very good obituary here.

https://plus.google.com/+AllenVarney/posts/8ogyNeuYUgY
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'd always hoped he'd write at least one more Doc Sidhe book. Now it'll never happen.

DAMNIT.
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    His imagination gave people fantasical escapades. May he rest in peace.

I enjoyed reading his books, and I had no idea he wrote a new one for X-Wing after a decade later, which Wikipedia lists as his last novel. I'll have to go out and buy that last book for my collection.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Aaron Allston's Strike Force is the gaming supplement that encouraged me to become a GM. To this day I scour it for ideas and inspiration. The original Ninja Hero is a close second for me. I think I can honestly say that without Aaron Allston I would not be a Hero System player, and may very well not a pen and paper gamer at all.

My condolences go out to his loved ones. My condolences also go out to those who have not had the opportunity to read his work. Find it. Read it. Be amazed.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2014
    Sorry to hear.
    I did not know his Hero sourcebooks, but I do liked his Star Wars novels.
  • ramthananaxramthananax Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I woke up to this sad news this morning. He was a good friend, a good writer, and a good man. One of the greats, and the world is lesser without him.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Aw, man. :frown:

His D&D Rules Cyclopedia is my favorite version of the D&D game, by far. Aaron's Strikeforce for Champions is one of my favorite resources for GMs anywhere, full of excellent advice and it is my pleasure to say that I got to meet the man personally, game with him and help him playtest his unreleased [as-far-as-I-know] Space Opera RPG back in 2008.

He even put up with me fanboying all over the table, and signed my rather worn copy of Strikeforce. He mentioned the writing seminars he did occasionally, and was polite and erudite, a gentleman at the convention that year.

I'd always hoped to meet him in person again one day.

Rest well, you will be missed and your creative works will continue to inspire.

Like your many profound and often very funny quotes.

"Life is like an analogy"
    ~Aaron Allston
  • hfmuddhfmudd Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    (I don't often post on these boards, but on this sad occasion...)

I knew Mr. Allston first as the author of STRIKE FORCE, which opened my eyes to whole new ways of playing Champions, and of other fine sourcebooks I'm proud to have in my library. Then I found some of his other game writing, like the D&D Cyclopedia; and finally, some of my favorite Star Wars novels. I even picked up his Galatea in 2-D a while back. In short, I don't think there was anything he wrote that I didn't like.

It saddens me that there won't be any more great stories from him, and that he won't be around to tell them.
  • jamesbonnelljamesbonnell Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Awww man.

I loved Strike Force and Ninja Hero, and the Doc Sidhe books.

Never met the man but now I wish I had gotten to.

My condolences to his loved ones, and to the rest of us who were his fans.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Mike Stackpole has written a marvelous tribute here.

http://www.michaelastackpole.com/?p=3410
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    When a creative mind is gone from our world, it leaves us with a gap. A hole in the tapestry of art. However, inspired and positive minds see the absence left behind, and look back on what could have been- and in the future, those inspired and positive minds fill that void with creativity. And out there in the world beyond, the ones that left us that little spot to fill say, 'Good. That's what I wanted'- because a creative artist knows that the greatest thing in this world is to drive others to create.
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2014

The loss is devastating.

So sorry to hear this, I really admired his output and own many of his Champions supplements. I am sure this must have affected you even more so, as you probably knew him in real life. He will be missed, but not forgotten.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]