test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackredders - CO's #1 Fashion Sin

1235»

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I just realized going through my 27+ toons now that most use subdued, darker colors for their clothing. This is somewhat because I usually make creatures, and their skin colors can vary widely and be quite colorful compared to the normal pale human skin, so the desaturated attire creates a simple contrast. (I almost never use the pitch black, though; my most common motif seems to be medium black or dark brown + gold/yellow + red, and some close variants thereof; never really thought hard about it either- just made whatever color scheme I liked at the time)

That said, I think we're getting two diff trends confused here. The black-redder's only major crime is being an over-used scheme. The bigger problems, somewhat highlighted by the OP but lost in the noise of the thread, are what I'd more call 'Vega Signs'- ie. the pitch/void detail-munching black paired w/ a garishly bright saturated color w/ high glow- doesn't have to be red. To me this is way way worse an offender, cause it is visually painful to look at. I mean, there is some overlap between the two, but if I had to pick between curtailing the black-redder population or the Vegas signs, I'd def go w/ the latter.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • bobsy26bobsy26 Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    I just realized going through my 27+ toons now that most use subdued, darker colors for their clothing. This is somewhat because I usually make creatures, and their skin colors can vary widely and be quite colorful compared to the normal pale human skin, so the desaturated attire creates a simple contrast. (I almost never use the pitch black, though; my most common motif seems to be medium black or dark brown + gold/yellow + red, and some close variants thereof; never really thought hard about it either- just made whatever color scheme I liked at the time)

That said, I think we're getting two diff trends confused here. The black-redder's only major crime is being an over-used scheme. The bigger problems, somewhat highlighted by the OP but lost in the noise of the thread, are what I'd more call 'Vega Signs'- ie. the pitch/void detail-munching black paired w/ a garishly bright saturated color w/ high glow- doesn't have to be red. To me this is way way worse an offender, cause it is visually painful to look at. I mean, there is some overlap between the two, but if I had to pick between curtailing the black-redder population or the Vegas signs, I'd def go w/ the latter.

Well yes. Basically: having red and black doth not a blackredder make. It's the juxtoposition of the most extreme black and red (or other similarly garish colour) with no variation that makes a blackredder.

It's symptomatic of basically lazy design - a player that has no concept idea for the costume behind "black and red". When your thought process has not got past two colours, you need to take a little bit longer with your ideas.
    edited January 2014
    That is true. Any color scheme can fall into that trap of only using 2-3 colors and not experimenting enough. I guess the popularity of black+red puts it at the forefront there.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited January 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Any color scheme can fall into that trap of only using 2-3 colors and not experimenting enough.

Wrong.

Using only 3 colors, actually, 2 main colors + third accent, is a classic comic book way, due to limitations of printing techniques in gold/silver/bronze age.

That's how Batman/Superman/Spiderman/early X-Men were made.

It's using oversaturated and obnoxious colors that makes costume painful to look at. With any number of colors, really.
    edited January 2014
    Wrong.

Using only 3 colors, actually, 2 main colors + third accent, is a classic comic book way, due to limitations of printing techniques in gold/silver/bronze age.

sorry, I meant across multiple characters, not on a single one :p
  • menotrpamenotrpa Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    avianos wrote: »
    ♪ BlackReds, BlackReds whatcha gonna do? what you gonna do when they come for you? ♫

tumblr_static_dancing_kakapo.gif

But seriously now, what were they thinking?
    They have the ability to make Unique colorful characters and instead they make this... is Black & Red Supposed to be EDGY? How old are the players who make those characters?

This trend makes me Question other people's Artistic Visions :confused:

some of us just like black and red.......didn't know it was so heretical

however we don't use it for everything if that gives some relief

• jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    menotrpa wrote: »
    some of us just like black and red.......didn't know it was so heretical

however we don't use it for everything if that gives some relief

I like the combo of black and red a lot, it's just the tendency to see far too many characters that are a mass of blackest black and eye searing glowing (insert any number of colors here) that makes it not appealing to see on screen. I have plenty of black/red looks on several characters, but like it's been mentioned before, appeal is a personal opinion.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
    edited January 2014
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    I like the combo of black and red a lot, it's just the tendency to see far too many characters that are a mass of blackest black and eye searing glowing (insert any number of colors here) that makes it not appealing to see on screen. I have plenty of black/red looks on several characters, but like it's been mentioned before, appeal is a personal opinion.

aye
    i only have one character that uses black and red in collaborations though its mostly black and a dim red with some smaller parts colored white

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    ................... it's just the tendency to see far too many characters that are a mass of blackest black and eye searing glowing (insert any number of colors here) that makes it not appealing to see on screen.........

Like this filthy specimen I ran across in the PH yesterday.

Blackredder2.jpg

:eek:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited January 2014

Blackredder2.jpg

DdmKkP0.gif

...although i do wonder what that would look like with a psychedelic colour scheme

• cheelanghocheelangho Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Iron Maiden? :)
    jonsills wrote: »
    Looks like ol' Eddie to me - especially costume #1 in that second pic!

Yup, the day i made him i was trying to think on a fitting concept for a soldier AT, when this hit my YT playlist
    Exactly my thoughts. Great (and not-often done) homage.

Glad you liked it :biggrin:
    SIGNATURE.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Blackredder2.jpg

This one's pretty out there. I can't tell what it's supposed to be. Robotic samurai deathwitch demon?

My advice to this guy, if he didn't want to be labeled a blackredder and really wanted to keep the colors, is to pick a theme for his character, something that someone could tell what's going on with him. Why are his hands on fire? Why is he robotic? Why the witch hat? Why covering the face? Why the samurai stuff? Pick one of these things, maaaybe two, and reduce. It literally looks like he just went through every costume piece category, picked what he thought looked coolest, and moved onto the next.

Though it's not my style, I do think the design looks kinda neat. I like the hat-goggles-mask thing he's got going on. I'd definitely set him up in some different colors though, and unify the armor into one category - tech, samurai, or medieval (his chest thing), not all three at once.
    biffsig.jpg
  • jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Steampunk wizard, I think. Good color would do a lot for that costume.
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Indeed the cyborg-wizard above is not so bad if you take of the blackredder part. The head/vest is solid. The robotic arms might make sense.

But yes... consolidate the armor, drop the glow, use a more varied color scheme.

• beautfldssonancebeautfldssonance Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What's wrong with black and red/other colors glowing? It's the hardest thing to pull off but that's why people try to do it.

hsuxdj.jpg

azcuvp.jpg

21jru46.jpg

2u3v2hl.jpg

"There is a point beyond which there is no return. That point must be reached." - Kafka

[sigpic][/sigpic]
  • benevonbenevon Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Black and red is indeed tough to pull off without looking bad. The biggest mistake I see are the shades, especially that really bright red. Also, lacking a third accent color just makes it look like a mess and seems very little effort went into it IMO. Some also appear to just use that color scheme with no real theme to the character. I have a few toons that utilize black/red (usually a darker or muted red) as long as it fits the theme and use an accent to color to give some depth.

The other problem is too much glow. When I see people with max glow on every piece, it blinks like crazy. It hides too much of the costume rather than having a subtle glow on key parts as accents.

Most of the "offending costumes" posted here could be made so much better by simply making a few adjustments to the shades, glow slider and overall color scheme.

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Blackredder2.jpg

menotrpa wrote: »
    DdmKkP0.gif
    ...although i do wonder what that would look like with a psychedelic colour scheme

See? THIS is the Kind of Black & Redder I despise

EVERYTHING
    PITCH BLACK BLACK
    &
    BLOODY GLOWING RED

Hurts your eyes doesn't it? It also doesn't allow the character to BREATH!
    What's wrong with black and red/other colors glowing? It's the hardest thing to pull off but that's why people try to do it.

Yeah.... about that... I don't like them, No offence but you are overusing this Combination :|

Too Much Black and Red, you are not letting your character Breath making them really common without making them Stand Out from the Crowd

Usually using a 3rd or 4th color and softer tone of Black and Red would help the case
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ChampionsOnline_2013-12-22_15-01-53.jpg

Red-check, Black-check, and even a third color white-check!

There is nothing wrong with the pieces used it's just...has anyone ever seen red dogtags? Red and black does not mean Badass! I would keep pants black, maybe even keep belt white but more gray. I would change the shirt to make a dull color...like a dull green or blue. And for godsakes, GET A TAN!

ChampionsOnline_2014-01-28_14-53-15.jpg

I think the piece on this one as well are fine but he needs to fine some unity. He could also keep it a black redder by using the darkest red and maybe some dark grays. And the shoulder areas could be more earthy in color and make that blend with hat, neck and legs. I think the 10th (i think) row going down has a eerier look than straight up black.

ChampionsOnline_2013-12-07_15-00-22-1.jpg

I dont even know where to start with this one...remove the glow, remove the red, remove the black...Now you are a naked cat albino? Perhaps a snow cat? I don't know...but if i was to save this I would first figure out my theme. Am I a cat or a demon? Then I would figure out what this guy is wearing. Am i in casual gear, am I fighting in this? What is the reason I am wearing this? I dont think the head is bad looking at all...even with the cat ears.

ChampionsOnline_2013-12-07_14-53-07.jpg

Now at first I was like, "oh look! Another black-redder!" But as I got closer I found he didnt fall into that as much...Yes it's a black redder...but more lighter black and not brightest red, which is important. I also learned a neat trick that the hip piece is actually showing under the tights...which is a nice clipping trick. Now I think he is going for more of a fire-ant look or some red wasp, so the color doesn't hurt that theme. If i had to do anything I would throw in some other colors, perhaps a dark yellow or brown to mix it up a little and some of the clipping areas bother me...which isn't a big deal really
  • oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ^That last one isn't so bad. One to two shades darker red and maybe one shade lighter black and it might be okay. Obnoxious look-at-my-crotch dot aside.

I reckon this dude deserves a special honor. Such is his devotion to blackred that he even made his face red. I can almost admire that kind of dedication.

Blackred_zpsce07bc80.jpg
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    979d7e76-3efe-48a1-99a8-de88547c4fa9_zps79d93da3.jpg
    3fda6abb-a368-400a-beb3-3e12b5190f4a_zpsbd6b9359.jpg
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • robothenrirobothenri Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Heh, worse than that, it's Manticore!

My stuff at deviantart
  • tombmaster123tombmaster123 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Here's one I got the other day.
    t8rv.jpg
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »

I don't think this one's too bad. Although a bit garish, he's mostly red, not black, and his black isn't the darkest one. Also gets points for not glowing or having a hideous aura. :biggrin:
    biffsig.jpg
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »

That's a pretty spot-on Manticore.
  • bravehoptoadbravehoptoad Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Lately I've seen the red-blackers out in swarms. Swarms! Here are some shots from just the past two weeks.

They've been coming solo:

red_black_misc_zpsc056ae00.jpg

They've been coming in twos:

red_black_twosomes_two_zpsc1eed594.jpg

red_black_twosomes_zps0b5143bd.jpg

Not enough? Well then you're in luck, because they've been coming in threes:

red_black_threesomes_zpsc9546e9a.jpg

Yeaaaaggh! Mommee.
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Magnificent...thanks for taking time to document all these. The Blackredder Brood grows.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • akirasanbeerakirasanbeer Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Your costumes...WILL BLOT OUT THE SUN!
    BR: "Then we will glow in the shade!"

1b4a6184-00ab-4480-b27c-526ab8e109c2_zpse55c07d5.jpg

Genius example here: channels a Voldo-ish vibe and "those" activities...
    1950198a-3c86-4272-8f39-1b1a9a5925cb_zpsd6a8cda6.jpg
  • tombmaster123tombmaster123 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Here is a great example of a jarring pink/green/black one,

sb6nig.jpg
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    WOW. That's one of the most jarring I've seen. I thought 3 days of Gravity Pulse would've prepared me for something like this, but I'm feeling kinda disoriented.

I just keep reminding myself: As long as that guy thinks it's a really cool-looking costume, that's all that matters. More power to him.
  • leihngweileihngwei Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    I just keep reminding myself: As long as that guy thinks it's a really cool-looking costume, that's all that matters. More power to him.

Judging from how bright it is, he'll need the power. :cool:
  • oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Looking through my screenshot collection, I found this interesting case...

Blackredyellowwhitegreenblue.png~original
  • bravehoptoadbravehoptoad Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    oniganon wrote: »
    Looking through my screenshot collection, I found this interesting case...

Yeesh. Looks like a multi-boxer. Haven't seen any such thing in CO.
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeesh. Looks like a multi-boxer. Haven't seen any such thing in CO.

I know of one but I'm not sure if they play anymore to be honest. They made quite amusing groups, some may remember the drones and queen bee that made random appearances at CCs.

Here's the player in cheese parodies (complete with the AFs) of the Kings (and Queen) of Edom that were called the Kings of Edam...
    b8lPaMp.jpg
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!