test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Socrates Question (does she keep secrets)

mlmiimlmii Posts: 111 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
I was thinking about my character's background and a question has come to mind, Socrates recognized her from whatever records she left during an off camera and undefined time travel jaunt her future self will take (making her hero identity and perhaps even the fact that she becomes an actual heroine in the first place a violation of causality), so as an unshackled AI what would Socrates share and with who would she share information with?

It doesn't really change anything either way other than a single line in the character's bio I'm planning on writing as an excerpt from her DOSPA case file.

If Socrates is likely to share with the feds then it will note that some future version will be involved with an temporal incident but records are fragmentary at best.

If she doesn't share then the caseworker will instead note her frustration at Socrates lack of cooperation.

So basically what type of personality does Socrates really have and how does she play with others?

Thanks
Post edited by mlmii on

Comments

• Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    For my part, I haven't been able to find information about Socrates's personality, except that it's sometimes "stuffy." However, I did find on its PnP character sheet that it has "Secret Programming The Champions Don't Know About," something mysterious that's left for a GM to develop if desired. So, it might keep secrets, or it might not, depending on the needs of the scenario.

If Socrates didn't keep the info to itself, it would certainly inform the Champions if there was implicit danger. The team has good informal relations with DOSPA, the American government agency responsible for superhumans (and a government liason, Denise Dumont), and with UNTIL, but more prickly interactions with PRIMUS. I would expect them to share any information with security implications with the first two agencies, unless they felt it would be detrimental for that info to fall into governmental hands.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Assuming SOCRATES' programming does not require full disclosure (which is implicit in Secret Programming the Champions Don't Know About), it seems to me that if she were aware of a temporal incursion, but it didn't threaten anyone, she would probably keep quiet about it unless asked directly, in order to avoid any further violations of causality. Those things can be dangerous, you know.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well my toon Luna is very heavily based of EDI and an Reaper in one at the end of synthesis. Shes alive and that type of thing. And Luna main goal is trying to make true synthesis happen in the world. Also Cyberlord is bacily like the Geth in her eyes. As in my RP hes wanting Luna to join him in rebelling organics. AKA the lore. And no Cyberlord don't want to grab DAT **** with her so don't say anything....well I hope not anyway. *looks nervously at the devs*

Also Luna is very close to SOCRATES great friends with her. I'm pretty sure SOCRATES is an AI but not unshackled. not so sure. However I am wanting SOCRATES to be more like EDI. her to program herself a body or unit and be unshackled.

But really we just need the Devs to give us a lore or more info about SOCRATES. Its not like she's a puppet or girlfriend of mechanon and we just don't kown it yet......wait a second.....oh god why did I think of that.
    Psi.
  • Options
    gothicknight3gothicknight3 Posts: 4
    edited February 2014
    Socrates has secret programming, but if socrates itself is not aware of the programming, this doesn't necessarily mean that Socrates would knowingly "lie". On the other hand, as a matter of necessity Socrates would leave out certain details if they aren't specificly asked about and are judged to be insignificant.

The basic point I'm trying to make here is, do what you like, then figure out how to explain it.

Consider that Socrates may not consider "causality" to be an issue at all (either because it is knowable and can be planned for, or because it is unknowable and can't be planned for), but may instead think that a future version of your character could potentially be from an alternate timeline, and therefor is not actually the same as your character. Until Socrates can know for certain whether the character it saw is the future of the very same character you're playing, any information it supplies could potentially be misleading and damaging.

There's also the comic book idiom that the smartest characters do the dumbest things (Yes Dr. Pym! Putting the Ultron matrix in a Thor clone is a Brilliant idea! Even better, let's give it Ironman's armor and Cap's shield too! This can't possibly go wrong, because we're super smart!). Meh.. if someone's smart enough though, they will occasionally do things that others just don't understand.