test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

performance help

pricanwarriorpricanwarrior Posts: 53 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PC & Technical Issues
Ok guys im bulding a new computer with the graphic card a Geforce GTX 650 , CPU Intel Core i5-4670k LGA1150, and 8gb of ram

I was wondering if i can run champions online and Never winter on the highest settings and that it would run smoothly
Post edited by pricanwarrior on

Comments

• Options
    nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    To answer your question: yes, you probably can run CO on max but that also depends on what resolution you intend to play at.

Side Note:

Out of curiosity why would you go with a 4670k? I suppose you intend to overclock it. If the components listed are your max budget then I would suggest you get a 4570 and use the rest of the money to get a better GFX card. At least add a bit more for a 650 Ti version.

Considering the cost of getting a better cooler to OC (overclock) you are probably better off with a non k version and save the money and put it in the GFX budget.

Let me know if you have more questions ;).
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    nightr0d wrote: »
    To answer your question: yes, you probably can run CO on max but that also depends on what resolution you intend to play at.

Side Note:

Out of curiosity why would you go with a 4670k? I suppose you intend to overclock it. If the components listed are your max budget then I would suggest you get a 4570 and use the rest of the money to get a better GFX card. At least add a bit more for a 650 Ti version.

Considering the cost of getting a better cooler to OC (overclock) you are probably better off with a non k version and save the money and put it in the GFX budget.

Let me know if you have more questions ;).

the resolution will be 1280x1024

People keep telling me that 4670k was gonna be better for gaming , even the guy on micro center store told me the same, so i went with it. he told me that with all those things that i got my computer and the games will run smooth on max..
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And thats why he is called 'guy on micro center store'. He sells stuff.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    And thats why he is called 'guy on micro center store'. He sells stuff.

Lol true, but is that i bad thing that i got that processor?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    the resolution will be 1280x1024

People keep telling me that 4670k was gonna be better for gaming , even the guy on micro center store told me the same, so i went with it. he told me that with all those things that i got my computer and the games will run smooth on max..

:eek: 1280x1024 ..... lol at that resolution you don't even need a dedicated GFX..

AND YES whoever sold you the 4670k was taking advantage of you. BRING IT BACK ASAP if you can!!!

I guess you are not into overclocking so you don't need that model. In fact the 4570 might be too much as well.

At this point I don't really know what to tell you because your configuration is so far into the "I GOT RIPPED OFF!!!" Zone I'm speechless.

Your resolution is extremely low as such most if not all GFX will be able to play it. What I would recommend is to get the 4570 and use it's internal GFX instead of buying the 650. See how it does with whatever games you want to play and ONLY if you can't play them the way you want to get a dedicated GFX.

If you have questions don't hesitate to ask. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    nightr0d wrote: »
    :eek: 1280x1024 ..... lol at that resolution you don't even need a dedicated GFX..

AND YES whoever sold you the 4670k was taking advantage of you. BRING IT BACK ASAP if you can!!!

I guess you are not into overclocking so you don't need that model. In fact the 4570 might be too much as well.

At this point I don't really know what to tell you because your configuration is so far into the "I GOT RIPPED OFF!!!" Zone I'm speechless.

Your resolution is extremely low as such most if not all GFX will be able to play it. What I would recommend is to get the 4570 and use it's internal GFX instead of buying the 650. See how it does with whatever games you want to play and ONLY if you can't play them the way you want to get a dedicated GFX.

If you have questions don't hesitate to ask. ;)

actually no its fine because im planning to get a bigger screen plus im planning to play battlefield 4
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    actually no its fine because im planning to get a bigger screen plus im planning to play battlefield 4

The thing is, for gaming you don't need the 4670k at all. Did you know that the "k" model has it's multiplication unlocked? It's basically a model for enthusiasts who overclock (I know because that's what I do as). For all intents and purposes you spend too much money on the CPU and too little on the GPU. A 650 is not really that good at all especially for newer games and for higher resolutions.

It all depends on you if you want to spend the money for a 650 and then realize you need something better and then spend money again instead of getting something decent from the start.

Here is a link to some charts in terms of performance for the GPU:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html#

Most games require a powerful GPU not a powerful CPU. For the CPU you can go Mid-end or lower High-end.

But hey it's up to you. Just google 4670k for gaming and you will see that it's really not needed especially the "k" unless you know how to overclock (which requires you to get a custom cooler which can be quite expensive).
  • Options
    hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ok guys im bulding a new computer with the graphic card a Geforce GTX 650 , CPU Intel Core i5-4670k LGA1150, and 8gb of ram

I was wondering if i can run champions online and Never winter on the highest settings and that it would run smoothly

Marking this to come back to a little later.

First thing off the top of my head.

I'd suggest if you're going nVidia and the *50 series, go for one of the 750's. The price is virtually identical.
    The 750 performs better and the power consumption is actually lower than the 650. (You don't even need PCI-E power plugs and can get away with a cheaper, lower capacity power supply.)

I recommend going to the 2GB (Ti) variant ($150). Not the cheaper, less able 1GB variant.
    If you want a little extra "oomph", dole out the extra $20 for the factory-overclocked EVGA "02G-P4-3757-KR" version.

And, in a halfway decent machine, it should run CO/NW with pretty much everything turned up until maybe 1920x1080 or above. Even at 1920x1080 you should be decent.

If you're gaming at 1280x1024 you're going to be able to crank everything up and still have stupid-high famerates.

And these people tell you the 4670K series processor was going to be "better for gaming". Did they say WHAT it was better than?

Basically any i5 will serve you nicely. It doesn't have the multithreading capability that an identically clocked i7 does. But for most gaming, the performance difference is negligible.

The K-variant chips, as has been pointed out, are multiplier unlocked. This is to assist in overclocking.

Basically chip speed is a function of chip multiplier x bus speed. In most chips, the multiplier is locked. As such, you can only overclock them by ramping up bus speed. This is problematic because it introduces quite LARGE increases in speed that the chip may or may not be able to handle and a destabilized system bus which can negatively impact overclocking as well.

With a multiplier unlocked chip, overclocking can be MUCH more finely controlled

33x100 = 3300 (3.3Ghz)
    33x110 = 3630 (3.63Ghz, a 330 mhz OC) (This is bus overclocking.)
    34x100 = 3400 (3.4Ghz, a 100 mhz OC) (This is multiplier overclocking.)

If you're running at stock speeds and have NO intention of overclocking, a 4670 and a 4670K will function IDENTICALLY. Except that if you buy the 4670, you save $20-25.

HOWEVER, if you ALREADY have it in your posession, I wouldn't worry horrendously about it. You'll almost burn the difference in gas just trying to return it. Stick with it, and if down the road, you feel more adventurous about overclocking, just buy yourself a MUCH beefier CPU cooler.

8GB of RAM should be a fine starting point unless you're doing major graphical/video editing (and if you're running 1280x1024 you're not).

If you're not really overclocking, stick with stock DDR3 1600 memory. Just go for the lowest latency you can afford. The price difference between 11 latency and 7 or 8 latency is only about $5 across the gamut ($80-$85).

If you're going to overclock, decide how crazy you want to get.

DDR3 1866 will run you about $85 for 9-10 latency with 8 latency stuff running about $90.

DDR3 2133 will run you about $80 for 10-11 latency with 9 latency stuff running about $95-100.

DDR3 2400 will run you about $90 for 10-11 latency with 9 latency stuff running about $135.

DDR3 2666 will run you about $150-190 for 10-11 latency stuff.

Again, the differences between all of these memories is infinitesimally small. It's simply that, when overclocked, the higher-speed-rated memories will remain stable much longer than heavily "pushed" DDR3 1600.

What, exactly, does your budget look like?
  • Options
    hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Bumping just in case the OP saw my initial partial post and is waiting for an alert on the rest of it.