test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The LEGO Movie: a no-spoiler review

tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Off Topic
Hi guys, I saw some discussion here on films. I just saw The LEGO Movie. A quick review.

Summary: I expected a creative kiddie film, but saw the best comedy in recent memory.

The LEGO Movie is like CO in that it was like your ultimate cross-over adventure with your cartoon toys. If you ever played "Optimus Prime carrying LEGO men to fight giant Krang using Daddy's laser pointer"...then this was a love letter to you.

The plot was cookie-cutter, however. No spoilers, but you'll recognise it if you see it. This is how I felt watching:

1st third: "Man, I'm wasting my time on this, can I get my money back if I leave now?"

2nd third: "Okay, these side characters are pretty funny. I'll stick around for the laughs."

3rd third: "LOLOLOLOLOMG why am I laughing harder than all the kids in the theatre?"

IMHO, they nailed the humour. I was initially wary because in trailers it looked just like referential parody, but it ended up being very smart satire. The jokes are for both the kids AND their parents, who likely also played with LEGO growing up.

If there is one gripe just for me, IMHO, it's just this: it did NOT give me the honeyglows.

The LEGO Movie had many, many similarities with Wreck-It Ralph, which is fine! Both are very clever and each did its own thing well. What the LEGO Movie failed to do was have the same heart, even though both films had some soul-searching moments.

That said, The LEGO Movie was much more a non-stop comedy. 4 out of 5 Ralphs.
Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I tend not to break down movies, dissect them and compare. I take them at face value, so I wasn't wary of anything going in. For me it was nonstop laughs from the very beginning. The jumping jacks, the hair combing, everything was really clever and funny. And I will absolutely shell out hundreds of dollars when the Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! and Metalbeard's ship come out.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Three word review:

Everything is Awesome!
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It was 10x as good as it needed to be. If they had just done a brilliantly rendered somewhat funny story with a lot of looks, it would have been a success.

It's one of the most gnostic movies I've ever seen.

It had twists, and some of them were surprising.

I didn't expect to tear up at this movie (I'm a sap, though)

The list of cameos is amazing.

It was way funnier than the trailers show, which is astonishing. (A lot of movies, all the funny is in the trailers)

I'm not a Will Ferrell fan, but I adore him in this movie.

It has been an amazing time for animated features!!
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I kinda expected to walk out of the theater. I was pleasantly surprised. I found it funny how Batman sounded like me being asked to do chores whenever he groaned, "UUUUUUUUUUUUUGH FINE."
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There are a lot of really surprisingly sophisticated or clever comments and references in the movie.

Like Batman's 'no chicks' line.

Or the fact that Cloud Cuckoo Land is a reference to the ancient Greek philosopher Aristophanes.

MIND BLOWN
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I loved that it hit on all the things that make Legos special. The stop-motioney animation, the coming together of every genre to play together, the structured-vs-unstructured creation, even the shift from children's toy to adult collectible.

As a grown up who still loves Legos, I thought the movie was funny and endearing. It was like Toy Story, but with Legos!

I really want a Captain Millennium minifig...
    edited February 2014
    I'll certainly put this on my list of movies to watch (I don't have the money to see it in the theater right now). The fact that its release has me looking at Lego stuff again is significant of my interest.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi guys, I saw some discussion here on films. I just saw The LEGO Movie. A quick review.

Summary: I expected a creative kiddie film, but saw the best comedy in recent memory.

The LEGO Movie is like CO in that it was like your ultimate cross-over adventure with your cartoon toys. If you ever played "Optimus Prime carrying LEGO men to fight giant Krang using Daddy's laser pointer"...then this was a love letter to you.

The plot was cookie-cutter, however. No spoilers, but you'll recognise it if you see it. This is how I felt watching:

1st third: "Man, I'm wasting my time on this, can I get my money back if I leave now?"

2nd third: "Okay, these side characters are pretty funny. I'll stick around for the laughs."

3rd third: "LOLOLOLOLOMG why am I laughing harder than all the kids in the theatre?"

IMHO, they nailed the humour. I was initially wary because in trailers it looked just like referential parody, but it ended up being very smart satire. The jokes are for both the kids AND their parents, who likely also played with LEGO growing up.

If there is one gripe just for me, IMHO, it's just this: it did NOT give me the honeyglows.

The LEGO Movie had many, many similarities with Wreck-It Ralph, which is fine! Both are very clever and each did its own thing well. What the LEGO Movie failed to do was have the same heart, even though both films had some soul-searching moments.

That said, The LEGO Movie was much more a non-stop comedy. 4 out of 5 Ralphs.

I've not seen the movie but the games also boss ^__^
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    LEGO Movie = Awesome!

LEGO Movie: The videogame = Also Awesome!

NOW I WANT TO GET THIS SONG I LOVE AND HATE OUT OF MY HEAD!
  • Options
    lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Good reviews are good.. but since its not quite out in aus yet.. im getting really anxious to watch it now. I have high hopes for this movie.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • Options
    tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    bluedarky wrote: »
    LEGO Movie = Awesome!

LEGO Movie: The videogame = Also Awesome!

NOW I WANT TO GET THIS SONG I LOVE AND HATE OUT OF MY HEAD!

When I saw your post, that song started playing in my head and got stuck in there, too.

It's a film you don't need to lower your expectations to enjoy. It picks up after the 1/3 mark.

No spoilers, but if the plot seems stupid at 1st, don't worry. Enjoy the laughs, then all is clear.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com